HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What about Hockey makes you happy?

Old
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
7toZulu

vCash: 500
What about Hockey makes you happy?

I just realized, after taping up my new Reebok Ai5 stick, that getting a new piece of hockey gear makes me feel like a kid on x-mas morning. Hockey has a way of making even the ********* day better if i get to play at some point that day. So what about the game makes your day?

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Everything

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
SkyKushryd

When I first step onto the ice and feel the chill in the air, and feel the cold when I breathe, that's one of the best feelings in the world.

It's so..... I don't know how to describe it, like the feeling you get when you get out of a hot tub and jump into a pool, that rush of.... of.... electricity?

I can't put it into words.

SkyKushryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Ozz

Getting a new piece of equipment is always fun. Everything is great, I can't even begin.

I'm sure some can relate but after 10 years off, it was...uh, nice...to rediscover that "locker room smell"

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
I play out and in net and I love it all!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
vapor11

Love it all..but scoring is great..especially the ones that leave others

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Scoring goals

I dig playing with my buddies, getting better, working to improve, making a nice play or pass, the adrenaline rush of breakaways, seeing the puck go into the net and the ref signaling the goal, winning close games...league games are just a million times more fun than pickup and shinny because it's so much more intense, even though it's a bunch of fat old guys skating around in slow motion.

The joy of new gear is almost immediately turned into regret and guilt as I'm broke and never like it as much as my old stuff. Luckily I've nearly broken that habit. Only bought one stick since summer and have no plans to buy another until my #1 breaks.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
SCritical

Just the feeling of going faster than I could ever hope to run.

Battling for the puck with a guy twice my size and winning

When the best skater on the team just loses his skates and falls arse over head

The happy exhausted feeling when you know youíve given it your all

Being from Australia, itís an ego boost to do something very few people are capable of doing.

And I personally love that I get to play on the same house team as one of the guys that was on Australiaís only ever Olympic ice hockey team (in 1960.) Itís such an honour. And yes, his slapshots are still fierce!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:19 AM
johnjm22

To this day, I still get excited everytime I go to the rink. I put on my gear quickly because I can't wait to get out there. Those first full strides you take with your skates on once you get onto the playing surface always feel GREAT; you feel "free" (I know that sounds cheesy).

I'm in my 20's now, but I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:29 AM
izzy3

#1 scoring a beautiful goal
#2 shooting a hard pass and hitting the tape of my teammate, without he having to move his stick
#3 skating with flow
#4 fooling the opposition with a clever move/pass
#5 winning battles

I am also a gear nut, and will probably get a new Easton Stealth RS stick, even though I do not need it and it will not make a difference in my game, but still, I just simply LOVE hockey gear.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKushryd View Post
When I first step onto the ice and feel the chill in the air, and feel the cold when I breathe, that's one of the best feelings in the world.

It's so..... I don't know how to describe it, like the feeling you get when you get out of a hot tub and jump into a pool, that rush of.... of.... electricity?

I can't put it into words.
This.
Indescribable sometimes.

Getting up for a 6am practice and being the first ones on the ice that day. Groggy until you take that breath.
The first carves.
I've been stuck on the ponds for 3 years. Not the same.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:56 AM
vapor11

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Skraut

Pride, Comradery, and pushing yourself.

Being down 12-1 and dropping to block a shot.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Cowbell232

I'm going to use a short answer: Everything.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Pride, Comradery, and pushing yourself.

Being down 12-1 and dropping to block a shot.
I'm like this. It can look bad from the other side if your winning though. I just love the game and only want to play it hard and with passion. My career goal is to have a job completely involved in hockey. The life.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Squidriss

Im not the best player out there so when I outsmart and outplay someone who a level above me, it just feels soo good!

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Stickmata

Everything, but I'm a skating nut. Everything about it thrills me. Love to watch and study great skaters and love to go out and just work on my skating. Even though I'm old and my body is breaking down, I still love the feel I get gliding across the ice or making a tight turn.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
r3cc0s

Its such a balanced game... the skill, the vision, the power, the physicality, the speed, the dexterity, the competitiveness...

I love that almost anyone can play a competitive game if they try, as every aspect of the game you can use to help overcome other weaknesses while you try to make those weaknesses stronger.

its an exhillerating game that you play at an elevated anerobic pace at every **** (or should)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Devil Dancer

Lots of things about hockey make me happy, but scoring pretty goals is easily at the top of the list. Scoring a nice game winner late in the third can elevate my mood for days or even weeks.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

The camraderie and the relentless speed and flow of it. No other sport has ever given me what hockey does. Both watching and playing.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
goalie29

My answer's a little different than most. Bit of a story.

I grew up in a hockey mad family in a hockey mad area, and I wasn't allowed to play. My twin brother did, and I had to go watch his games. No girls accepted. It was the early 70s on a military base, not exactly the most equality-focussed time and place. My parents have told me that I begged and cried, but there was nothing they could do.

We moved to Winnipeg when I was 8, and they had a new thing going on for girls - ringette. So I played that for years, and loved playing. But I hated always having to explain the sport, and I hated the verbal abuse from boys and adults that us girls were taking ice time that should go to boys.

Fast forward to 5 years ago when I was 39. At the pushing of a friend I signed up for a "learn to play" hockey class, and next thing I'm playing on two teams, and even becoming a goalie. Which I love.

Some days I'm out on the ice, either playing with one of my teams or in a pick up game, and I can't believe that I'm out there playing hockey. Even though the knees are arthritic, I'm that 7 year old who finally got a shot.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
dwreckm

Just playing makes me happy.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
My answer's a little different than most. Bit of a story.

I grew up in a hockey mad family in a hockey mad area, and I wasn't allowed to play. My twin brother did, and I had to go watch his games. No girls accepted. It was the early 70s on a military base, not exactly the most equality-focussed time and place. My parents have told me that I begged and cried, but there was nothing they could do.

We moved to Winnipeg when I was 8, and they had a new thing going on for girls - ringette. So I played that for years, and loved playing. But I hated always having to explain the sport, and I hated the verbal abuse from boys and adults that us girls were taking ice time that should go to boys.

Fast forward to 5 years ago when I was 39. At the pushing of a friend I signed up for a "learn to play" hockey class, and next thing I'm playing on two teams, and even becoming a goalie. Which I love.

Some days I'm out on the ice, either playing with one of my teams or in a pick up game, and I can't believe that I'm out there playing hockey. Even though the knees are arthritic, I'm that 7 year old who finally got a shot.
That's awesome! Sad that times were like that, but it also makes me think about how wonderful things are for girls today and all the opportunities they have to get on the ice and play hockey. The young girls that play at our rink love the game - you can just see it in their faces all the time.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
LukeG
Rookie User

I also have a short story. I'll be turning 23 in a couple weeks and have never had the privilege of playing hockey. I've grown up in southeast Kansas where hockey is non-existent. No ice, no inline, nothing.

I lived in Springfield, MO for a year to attend college, where they have a hockey rink, and was able to buy a pair of Bauer ONE60 skates and start skating. Without even having a stick in my hand I immediately realized that the inexplicable love for hockey I had grown up with was not false. I love everything about being on the ice.

In about 10 months I will be moving back to Springfield, and 23 years of built-up hockey anxiety will finally be put to rest. I can't wait to put my first puck in the net. I may actually shed tears of joy.

LukeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
beth

There are so many things that make me happy about hockey!

Johnjm22 mentioned how you feel "free" when you step out on the ice, and I totally agree! It's like you shed all your trappings of everyday life at that particular moment.

I love how I feel like a total badass in my gear.

Love how fast you can go on skates! Much better than running! It's exhilarating.

Love what it's done for my body - haven't looked this good in over 20 years, and it's even after having two kids! Best workout ever.

Love all the new friends I've made. Love hanging out drinking beer after the game half dressed in hockey gear.

Love seeing my progress every time I go out - but I think that's what is making it so darn addictive! If I don't get on the ice that week, I start going through withdrawals.

Love working with the kids and hearing them call me "Coach Beth". And love watching them improve their skills and how excited they get when something clicks for them.

There's more, but I will stop there! Fun thread!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote