HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-21-2012, 09:45 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic View Post
transparency is being truthful and sharing vital information with the people who need to know.

“pierre told me to be ready for it, and it wasn’t for 45 minutes or so that i knew it was nashville,” gill said. “i said: ‘why don’t you just wait and tell me all at once instead of keeping me on pins and needles?’ ”

approved or not, after this conversation gauthier had to reveal the team he was dealing with, lest be shown to be a larger a-hole than he already proven to be. You can't pretend the conversation didn't occur once it has.

a simple conversation about maintaining confidentiaity should have occurred and gill apprised of his destination. He didn't need to know the identities of the nashville players involved, he did deserve to know he was going to nashville.

But these are management basics, something knucklehead hasn't yet mastered. He doesn't trust gill to keep his mouth shut for 45 minutes. That's deplorable.
Bang. On.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
UH. No.

You tell spaceman where he's going, and you ask him to be quiet about it until the deal is finalized. That's called respecting your senior staff, and trusting them.

You have not managed people much yet I gather?
what you do if
the NHL refused the deal for reason XYZ (MTL/NSH)
and the Flyers had an offer at the same time

Hey Gill, you are traded to Nashville
30 min later, here is your tickets for Philadelphia.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
How in bloody hell do you know anything about this? You're projecting your own feelings.
My "own feelings" are taken from proven theories about leadership, ones I use daily in my dealings with employees and family.

It's staggering that you subscribe to ideas where people are kept in the dark about their own lives and not trusted to keep matters of their own lives confidential.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i don't understand what my exposure to "strong leaders" have to do with my basic understanding of evolution of media and business decisions that can affect more then the one player in question, more like organizations, and might affect the image of the Canadiens as a whole. What will you say when this situation will become common practice in the sport? (which is pretty much the case) will you keep supporting your stance that all GM's are not leaders?
Keep the microscope close to you, you might find new leads to back up your long established and per-determined views of certain people/situations.
i'm sure Gill is more pissed about being traded, and away from his family, then being stressed out for and hour, which in retrospect, if anyone is in his shoes, what does in reality 1 hour change? These are non issues and overblown sensationalism both by Gill and PG doubters all together. "Loyalty and Leadership" is already blown away when trades happen, especially to loyal and leaders like Gill, which is main reason Gill might be stressing about.
I'm not overblowing this. The trust issue is real. If PG is so stressed by the Media and managing an NHL team that he cannot be professional and honest with a player that he manages on his team, and ask that player to keep it confidential, then it may well be that PG cannot handle this position.

He shows fear, even though it's not a situation he should be afraid of. And he allows it to affect his team. That's how you lose your ship, real fast.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
I'm not overblowing this. The trust issue is real. If PG is so stressed by the Media and managing an NHL team that he cannot be professional and honest with a player that he manages on his team, and ask that player to keep it confidential, then it may well be that PG cannot handle this position.

He shows fear, even though it's not a situation he should be afraid of. And he allows it to affect his team. That's how you lose your ship, real fast.
The best is to retire a player from ice, wait 45 min and then give him all the details and that he's being traded.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Very good point, but we haven't lost any of our key guys because of this,
I am NOT saying this is the case, but if players start to hear that PG is an *******, it WILL make them think twice about signing with Habs.

A modern NHL GM MUST learn to deal with Egos. It's in the GM job description now. You won't sign the Rocket anymore because he has no choice.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Must be Twitterverse mentality. I know that if I gave my wife a piece of confidential information she'd have the sense to keep it between us for as long as I asked her to.

It was a d-bag move by a d-bag GM.
That is exactly what it is. We are no longer in control of our own lives, and we cannot trust other adults that are our friends, or associates, because they might frigging TWITTER something.

I despair. Kids, it's shocking, but you really can trust some people. Not everyone has an agenda. Not everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. You can have REAL friends!

Old
02-21-2012, 10:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
My "own feelings" are taken from proven theories about leadership, ones I use daily in my dealings with employees and family.

It's staggering that you subscribe to ideas where people are kept in the dark about their own lives and not trusted to keep matters of their own lives confidential.
That is probably one of the most true and decent things I have ever read on these boards.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
That is exactly what it is. We are no longer in control of our own lives, and we cannot trust other adults that are our friends, or associates, because they might frigging TWITTER something.

I despair. Kids, it's shocking, but you really can trust some people. Not everyone has an agenda. Not everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. You can have REAL friends!
exactly,
we have like 2 or 3 real friends, you can tell them everything. The trust is limited to 3 or 4 persons

you wont tell your secret to a coworker.

Not having confidence that the information will leak by telling Gill where he is going is totally normal

I recently changed of departement at work
my ex supervisor told me that there will be a reorganisation and that I should (was almost sure that itll happens but no confirmation) be transfered.

We had a meeting and I learned that I was transfered to departement X when he had the confirmation

Old
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
The best is to retire a player from ice, wait 45 min and then give him all the details and that he's being traded.
It's true. Better to inform your player only when all papers are signed, and all the involved parties can be told. Ask the other GM to do the same. That's intelligent. Good post.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
It's true. Better to inform your player only when all papers are signed, and all the involved parties can be told. Ask the other GM to do the same. That's intelligent. Good post.
So for 45 min the player dont know why he was removed from ice?

Old
02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
That is probably one of the most true and decent things I have ever read on these boards.
I suspect you're a people manager who is thoughtful in your approach and respected by most if not all of your employees.

No doubt your approach will make you equally successful as a parent (if it hasn't already).

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Ideal yes, but there have been cases where the media got information of the deal before it was officials and players found out thru the media and not the GM, ex Carter, Richards. PG is simply giving the player a heads up and protecting himself and the other GM by not sayin the team. What do u think is worse find out from the media or the way PG does it?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Kyle Quincey garnered a 1st.

D men are very valuable right now.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Must be Twitterverse mentality. I know that if I gave my wife a piece of confidential information she'd have the sense to keep it between us for as long as I asked her to.

It was a d-bag move by a d-bag GM.
you're naive if you think most people act that way...

pretty much everyone tells the story to THE person they can trust...

who in turns also think they're telling to THE person they think is trustworthy...

who turns around and...

that's how it works in the real world.

think your wife would be different ? cause her parents arent thrustworthy enoufh to keep a little secret for about an hour she thinks... afterall, it's only her mother and father

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote