HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

OT: Places to stay in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
OT: Places to stay in Toronto

It's been a while since I've been to Toronto. I'll be up in mid-January for a few days, and will be at the Flyers/Leafs game on January 17th. (another 7-1 game would be nice :p ).

I'm looking for the best places to stay. i'll eb with my wife, her first visit to Toronto.

Places we'll likely be going to, ACC Center, HHoF, Shopping, CN Tower, possibly a aday trip to Niagra Falls, possibly a Jr. Hockey game.

Looking for a Luxury Hotel.

I appreciate any feedback.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:19 PM
leafaholix*

Not sure about the hotel, but if you're around on January 18th, you may be able to catch Jeff Carter play the Brampton Battalion... Brampton's not that far away.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...ts/Toronto.pdf

Old
11-03-2003, 06:34 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Not sure about the hotel, but if you're around on January 18th, you may be able to catch Jeff Carter play the Brampton Battalion... Brampton's not that far away.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...ts/Toronto.pdf

That would be nice, but I'll be going home on the 18th. Probably going to try and see Mike Richards in Kitchener while I'm there.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:55 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
That would be nice, but I'll be going home on the 18th. Probably going to try and see Mike Richards in Kitchener while I'm there.
For luxury you can't beat the Royal York Hotel...it's also directly across the street from the ACC/Union Station, so you're close to everything.

Other options:
-the King Edward
-the Delta Chelsea
-the Crowne Plaza Centre

Old
11-03-2003, 08:13 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
For luxury you can't beat the Royal York Hotel...it's also directly across the street from the ACC/Union Station, so you're close to everything.

Other options:
-the King Edward
-the Delta Chelsea
-the Crowne Plaza Centre

to the Royal York for the combination of elegance and class!

If you want a true luxury hotel with a lot of service and a more modern flair, check out the Metropolitan and the Grand.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you're driving. Parking is a B downtown, but if you stay at any of the hotels suggested you won't need one.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
If you've no problem with spending a little more, then The Four Season's hotel is top of the crop. The rooms are nicer (particularly the suites as compared to The Royal York), you can have brunch in their "VERY" trendy restaurant "Studio Cafe", a romantic dinner at their upper scale "Truffles" and a night cap in their newly renovated bar/lounge. Plus it's right in the heart of Yorkville (a chi-chi shopping area for the wife) as opposed to The Royal York which is in the South end and you have to take a cab or plan for a decent walk to get to the good shopping areas.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:09 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

and of course Chruch and Wellsley for some late night fun!!

Old
11-04-2003, 06:16 AM
John Flyers Fan

Thanks for the help.

I was looking at the Royal York & the Four Seasons. Something the wife will be more impressed with to help make up for me taking her to Canada in January.

I will be driving up.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Something the wife will be more impressed with to help make up for me taking her to Canada in January.
Sorry she's dragging you here, maybe you should do some research about Toronto too. :p

Old
11-04-2003, 07:11 AM
MCP

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

I was looking at the Royal York & the Four Seasons. Something the wife will be more impressed with to help make up for me taking her to Canada in January.

I will be driving up.
The Four Seasons is one of (if not the most) expensive place to stay. Don't be surprised to see whatever Hollywood star is in Toronto at the time in the elavator beside you...

The Royal York is a better location, but the subway system is easy to navigate...

Old
11-04-2003, 07:13 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Sorry she's dragging you here, maybe you should do some research about Toronto too. :p

She would much prefer heading to the Caribbean ... for some reason I don't think the HHoF means quite the same meaning to her

Old
11-04-2003, 08:36 AM
olostar

Send a message via ICQ to olostar
Royal York best fit based on your needs

Quote:
She would much prefer heading to the Caribbean ... for some reason I don't think the HHoF means quite the same meaning to her
My wife and I live in Whitby (half hour east of Toronto) and recently she and a friend had a similar weekend in Toronto where they stayed at the Royal York, took in Shania at the ACC, went to see the Lion King, shopped at the Eaton's Centre, hit Queen St. West, went down to Richmond St. at night for a few drinks, etc. etc.

Bottom line-ACC, HHOF, CN tower, best all-around shopping access (Queen West, Eaton's Centre, Spadina) are all within walking distance from the Royal York, lazilly close in fact. Other spots to consider are the Art Gallery of Ontario (just another skip from the Royal York) the Royal Ontario Museum (just north of the Parliament buildings, also very close) a number of fine theatres (Mama Mia, Lion King, Grease, the Producers all playing nearby). If you are into checking out Yorkville, Bloor West, Casa Loma (a reccomendation for cold days) or any number of other venues in the city (Toronto Roadrunners, Convention Centre, Science Centre, Hummingbird Centre, Roy Thomson Hall) they are all on the transit line.

Drive to the Royal York, park your vehicle and see the city. Have a great time!

Old
11-04-2003, 10:21 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
It's been a while since I've been to Toronto. I'll be up in mid-January for a few days, and will be at the Flyers/Leafs game on January 17th. (another 7-1 game would be nice :p ).

I'm looking for the best places to stay. i'll eb with my wife, her first visit to Toronto.

Places we'll likely be going to, ACC Center, HHoF, Shopping, CN Tower, possibly a aday trip to Niagra Falls, possibly a Jr. Hockey game.

The Weston Harbour Castle in Toronto is your best bet cause it's the official hotel of the NHL in Toronto.........It's a 5-star hotel to boot and they also sell game tickets there as well as tickets to the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
11-05-2003, 08:43 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
The Weston Harbour Castle in Toronto is your best bet cause it's the official hotel of the NHL in Toronto.........It's a 5-star hotel to boot and they also sell game tickets there as well as tickets to the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.

Cheers!~

monkey_00
Actually, the Royal York is the official hotel of the Leafs and their guests.
The other problem with the Westin is that it is a bit farther from the subway than the Royal York. I mean you don't even have to go outside to egt on the subway from the RY - there's an underground walkway to it. You can also walk underground on the PATH system from RY right up to the EAton Centre, Roy Thomson Hall, ACC.

I'd pick the Royal York. So if women think alike, your wife should be happy!

Old
11-07-2003, 11:59 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill_me_mogilny
Actually, the Royal York is the official hotel of the Leafs and their guests.
The other problem with the Westin is that it is a bit farther from the subway than the Royal York. I mean you don't even have to go outside to egt on the subway from the RY - there's an underground walkway to it. You can also walk underground on the PATH system from RY right up to the EAton Centre, Roy Thomson Hall, ACC.

I'd pick the Royal York. So if women think alike, your wife should be happy!
They must have just changed that........cause back when the Toronto was hosting the Allstar game it was the Westin that was the official hotel of the NHL in Toronto..........Now if you have some money to kick around the Royal York is Toronto's landmark Hotel......the Westin is still a great option and it's right by the waterfront.........Thrill_me_Mogilny makes it sound like it's on the other side of town......Westin Harbour Castle Hotel is like a 5-minute walk away from most of the Top tourist attractions in Toronto like Air Canada Centre, SkyDome, CN Tower, Hockey Hall-of-Fame......as well as Wayne Gretzky's restaurant, Second City comedy club...............not too sure if you're into Harleys but Yankees pitcher David Wells has a place called the Indian Motorcycle club which is a nice place to meet new people.......CN Tower is the world's tallest free standing structure and on a clear day you can even see Detroit Michigan and Buffalo New York from way atop of the Tower.............

The best way for you to get around town is by the TTC subway nicknamed the Rocket........It runs along all of the major arteries of Toronto.........It's been voted the cleanest and safest Subway in the world more than once........

Some of the streets you want to be checking out in Toronto include Queen street......on this street you will find alot of the better nite clubs and dance bars in the City.......and there's some nice restaurants there as well.......It's my fav street in T.O. cause of all the great musicians you get playing on the street there and artists showcasing their stuff.........one spot to check out here is the Legendary Horseshoe Tavern which is partly owned by Dan Akroyd....the Rolling Stones have played here before on more than once.......

If you want to check out China town take the University subway line..........another major street to check out is Yonge street known in Toronto as "the strip"......it's supposed to be the world's longest street........you'll find all sorts of stuff there to do like Live theatre, the Eaton Centre, The World's largest book store, Sam the Record Man and Hard Rock Cafe..........

If you decide to go with the Royal York Hotel which is on front street; 2-blocks west of it you will find Planet Hollywood and the one here in Toronto is owned by Stallone, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore and California governor Arnold Schwartzenegger (spelling).......

Another one of my favorite streets in T.O. would have to be Bloor street which is home to some of Toronto's best restaurants and cafes.....it's a nice area of town for the wife and/or Family to to together....some fine shopping establishments there as well...........

When it comes to eating out Toronto is right up there with New York........cause of Toronto's diverse ethnic backgrounds you will find all sorts or styles when it comes to selecting what you want to eat whether is Asian, Indian, Italian, Greek, Portuguese, French....Toronto has it all.........

If you want to be a member of a studio audience on Canada's version of the Tonight Show just go up to Yonge and Davenport (intersection) where the CTV studios are and you can buy tickets for the Mike Bullard show.....this guy is really funny and always has great guests on the show.....He likes to also interact with the studio audience and if you tell them that you're up visiting from Philly he'll find some time to put you on the air and talk with you.

Have fun in Toronto.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Epoch

Quote:

the Mike Bullard show.....this guy is really funny
Really?!

:p

Old
11-07-2003, 08:40 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
Really?!

:p
Really yes........everyone in the States knows who Toronto-native Mike Myers is but to me Mike Bullard would have to be the funniest Canadian not known to Americans....I think that could soon change though he's just too good.............

Did you catch Myers on Hockey Night in Canada last Staurday Night dawning the Leafs jersey?.....that was a hoot when he was on with McLean and Grapes.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
11-07-2003, 08:43 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:

...............Also Niagara Falls is a 2-hour Bus trip from Toronto........You're wife will like it there it's still the Honeymoon Capital of the World........

I like to go there from time-to-time myself.......I never get tired of looking at the Falls.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:41 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
possibly a aday trip to Niagra Falls
Stay on the Canadian side of the border please! The American side is an outlet mall and a ghost town.

What are your interests in food? I could definitely recommend some great sushi spots, or posh eateries.

If you're into surf/skater/snowboarding wear, no place is better than "So Hip It Hurts" located on Queen Street just west of John. It looks like a little upstairs out of the way shop but is jam packed full of great (and probably highly overpriced) gear.

BTW whatever you do, don't fall in the Movenpick "Le Marche" trap that so many fall into when visiting the HHoF at the BCE place. Overpriced cafeteria.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Really yes........everyone in the States knows who Toronto-native Mike Myers is but to me Mike Bullard would have to be the funniest Canadian not known to Americans....I think that could soon change though he's just too good.............

Did you catch Myers on Hockey Night in Canada last Staurday Night dawning the Leafs jersey?.....that was a hoot when he was on with McLean and Grapes.

Cheers!~

monkey_00
errrrr thats the thing, MANY people don't find him funny at all...

Old
11-12-2003, 06:27 AM
joecool

Quote:

Don't forget the Novotel on The Esplanade, just off yonge.
Quiet, comfortable,

An easy walk to the HHOF and ACC ( "PATH" is your friend ! )
and Shopsy's deli.

Good/Reasonable access from/to the expressway,
Reasonable access to the TTC.

In summer/Fall, a great walk to the CN Tower, Eatons centre, theatres,
harbourfront. ( But, in winter ... not so much ;-) )

Plus, I enjoy Marche. The food is fresh, and it's not your standard
restaraunt decor. I just won't wait in line for seating !

God, I miss being downtown !!

Closed Thread