HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PLB: Regier has been busy calling other GMs

Old
02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Until it happens, I'm expecting only a minor shipping out of a UFA-to-be like Gaustad and/or Boyes and then we get the same type of post-deadline interview that we got last year where Regier said he was close to getting a big-time C but it just didn't happen and that he'd try again during the off-season.
I don't necessarily think they will make big moves but I think we'll see both the UFAs out plus at least one or two other guys who are kinda on the fringe.

Frankly, they're roster isn't really designed for a big trade deadline binge, based on who has what contracts. It's more built for moves on or around the draft.

Has anybody called Sekera as a move possibility? If not, he's my darkhorse to be traded by Monday.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The bolded has been the part that Schopp has ignored for as long as he's been screaming about how you don't need a goaltender. He's generally hung up on callers who tried to raise that point, because it's completely correct that the Sabres don't have that collection of skaters to do it, and it would require an almost complete roster turnaround to accomplish that.
Like his never punt in football take?? He is such a clown.

SECRET SQUIRREL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I missed that. I'll dig up the audio when I get home. Could also be teams kicking the tires on Nash/Carter come calling for someone like Vanek. There are a lot of possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
What was said, JB?
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/52020943/2...m?pageid=28473

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Anyone care to post a summary? Can't listen, but interested.

This stuff is fun, even if nothing happens.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
The bolded has been the part that Schopp has ignored for as long as he's been screaming about how you don't need a goaltender. He's generally hung up on callers who tried to raise that point, because it's completely correct that the Sabres don't have that collection of skaters to do it, and it would require an almost complete roster turnaround to accomplish that.
Eh, he hung up on me when I tried talking about a couple of prospects back in the 107.7 pre-game hockey show era. Granted, the one no-name he didn't want to talk about is likely getting dealt on the deadline this year (Gaustad) and the other is team captain (Pominville) so there is that.

02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm worried that the Sabres getting close will lead to Regier standing pat through the deadline.
Quote:
I'm sure this won't do a thing to quell the 'Darcy's not trying' talk.
Regier has historically said every year after the deadline that he's contacted other teams and tried to "improve" his team - yet when the dust settles, the lack of deals he does gets blamed on the marketplace not being conducive to what he wanted or was willing to pay. I won't be surprised next week to see the same M.O. unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I wonder if that means there are names in play that we don't normally bandy about?
If so, I'd imagine it'd be Sekera, Gragnani, Weber, Gerbe, Ennis (moreso because of the raise he'll seek) and Leino. None of them have been talked about as much or mentioned in rumors as Roy, Stafford, Boyes and Gaustad have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Schopp waxed (not so) poetic about his belief in the Detroit model, pointing out that Detroit won Cups with Osgood, to which Darcy offered the counterpoint that they also won with Hasek and Vernon. Schopp then asked Darcy for his response to Schopp's theory, and this is me doing my best to get it word for word, but there's some paraphrasing:

The bolded is the caveat to Schopp's theory. Now, who in their right mind believes the Sabres have the "other parts of their team in place?" The Detroit Model is great...if you have the skaters to do it. I can't imagine that many, including Regier, think Buffalo has the skaters to pull this off--the same skaters who have them 25th in GF, and 22nd in GA.
I think your transcription was exactly as I heard Regier qualify it - it was great counterpoint to Schopp's short-sighted generalization on goalies. Beyond the Detroit teams with Osgood and the two 2010 finalists, there really haven't been any other Cup winners that didn't have All-Star goaltending that I can think of. It may not be the case anymore where a mediocre team can ride a dominant goalie to a Cup but winners often still need spectacular goaltending.

Quote:
Not just Schopp - a lot of hockey fans (and many on this board as well) have championed the argument as well.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Right?!

I hope he's talking hockey when he calls:

ring, ring...

hockey gm: "Hello"

Regier: [heavy breathing]

hockey gm: "Darcy, is that you?"

Regier: click...
WINNER!!!

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not just Schopp - a lot of hockey fans (and many on this board as well) have championed the argument as well.
There's a difference between "no goaltender" and "overpaid guy with similar stats."

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote