HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs Lose !!!!!! (Tank the Tank-Gods!!!)

Old
02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

vCash: 500
Plekanec completely invisible again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Scarey thing is...if we get a top 5 pick, I have ZERO confidence that PG will pick the best available player...NONE!
Timmins is picking, if there is someone in this organisation I have faith in, it's Trevor Timmins.

Outcoached again. Stop the dump and chase, the long passes that never work and go back to short high % passes and the quick transition game please. Might be time to break the Pac-DD-Cole line when Plek comes back and go for a more balanced lineup.

The positive is that they should be good next year if they can get a good coach and not do too many stupid things.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

This kind of game really shows how ineffective the bang-big-bodies-down-low, dump-out, dump-in, low-percentage long-pass approach of Cunneyworth just doesn't work long term. In a 3-0 game there's inevitably going be a lot of chatter about the Habs not giving enough effort, but in this case I think it's bogus.

Yes, the Stars always had the puck, and that's because the Habs spent the entire game giving it back every time they had it, either via a long pass which predictably fails and results in a turnover, or because they dump it then the puck is long gone when they try to chase.

Montreal is increasingly getting murdered in first periods as teams realize the simplistic tactics and exploit them, but really they barely need the help. The Habs no longer have a transition game of any kind; it's always either off the boards, or a long pass off a stick and back to the other club. It makes it really easy for opposing clubs to maintain sustained offensive pressure, and prevent attack the other way.

They do manage to get some real pressure on the rare occasions where they manage to establish possession down low, which shows that they do have talent and "compete level" -- but the whole dump it in, then bang the guy who just passed the puck away approach to zone entries is not exactly great for generating offense.

I'd complain about the system, but... frankly am not sure if this constitutes what we'd call a "system". There doesn't seem to be much of a transition besides "get it out", a neutral zone scheme beyond "pass it ahead", a zone entry scheme besides "dump it in". It's basically hockey reduced to its kindergarten form.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
We should keep Gauthier until after the draft. His drafting is perfectly fine, a new guy isn't going to be able to get completely accustomed in time, unless you're naming Timmins GM. Let a new guy take over before July 1st.
One of the weirdest ideas I've ever heard.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
Nightmare, where to begin?

When does football season start again?
I'm resorting to NASCAR!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BayouHab

Quote:
We should keep Gauthier until after the draft. His drafting is perfectly fine, a new guy isn't going to be able to get completely accustomed in time, unless you're naming Timmins GM. Let a new guy take over before July 1st.
I agree.

BayouHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Well Timmins would pick the guy and he has done a good job. The problem is once we get the pick we aren't very good in DEVELOPING the pick.
I agree

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PyrettaBlaze

Damphousse is right. Putting Gomez on the PP makes no ****ing sense anymore... Eller deserves to be out there, not Gomez.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Gainey was almost as worse GM then Houle in my opinion. This guy has ruined this team
I disagree.

Gainey is a smart man and he understands hockey. Gauthier makes the most baffling decisions though.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
The gomez Mcdonagh seems pretty terrible to me since Mcdonagh is looking like a 40 points two way stud. And Gomez... lol.
Gee...ya think... some of us figured that out the moment it happened ..... This will be Bob Gainey's legacy...that trade... and his lousy asset management.

In some countries, their would have been robbery charges against Sather.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blueinmtl

The d is embarrassing beyond belief.

Even without Gill, you just can't win, let alone compete regularly, with Diaz, Weber, Kaberle, Campoli in the lineup. There is some offense there, but they'll never have the puck, because they'll be standing watching it cycle ad nauseum...or chasing, backs to the play...or casually picking it out of the net.

Gorges, Emelin, PK, plus one of that group for next year. Maybe Diaz as a 7th guy if we can't escape the Kaberle contract (we won't).

Still stunned, did that really happen?

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Meh, Timmins is making the picks anyways. I don't get keeping him around. Just get rid of him after the deadline.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Why is a team that so good at killing penalties so lousy in its own end at 5-on-5 situations? No, Gauthier isn't on the penalty killing unit, so an anti-PG mantra here wouldn't make any sense.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This kind of game really shows how ineffective the bang-big-bodies-down-low, dump-out, dump-in, low-percentage long-pass approach of Cunneyworth just doesn't work long term. In a 3-0 game there's inevitably going be a lot of chatter about the Habs not giving enough effort, but in this case I think it's bogus.

Yes, the Stars always had the puck, and that's because the Habs spent the entire game giving it back every time they had it, either via a long pass which predictably fails and results in a turnover, or because they dump it then the puck is long gone when they try to chase.

Montreal is increasingly getting murdered in first periods as teams realize the simplistic tactics and exploit them, but really they barely need the help. The Habs no longer have a transition game of any kind; it's always either off the boards, or a long pass off a stick and back to the other club. It makes it really easy for opposing clubs to maintain sustained offensive pressure, and prevent attack the other way.

They do manage to get some real pressure on the rare occasions where they manage to establish possession down low, which shows that they do have talent and "compete level" -- but the whole dump it in, then bang the guy who just passed the puck away approach to zone entries is not exactly great for generating offense.

I'd complain about the system, but... frankly am not sure if this constitutes what we'd call a "system". There doesn't seem to be much of a transition besides "get it out", a neutral zone scheme beyond "pass it ahead", a zone entry scheme besides "dump it in". It's basically hockey reduced to its kindergarten form.

Coming from the guy who said Gomez would return to form and score 65 points this year....

bahaha

(I'm just kidding MathMan, I just like trolling you)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Gauthier or no Gauthier, our priority needs to be a real coach.
Agreed. I wish we had a Hitchcock as coach. His assistant Brad Shaw is interestingly highly regarded by players as the next best coach.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Cunneyworth is really an AHL headcoach...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Damphousse is right. Putting Gomez on the PP makes no ****ing sense anymore... Eller deserves to be out there, not Gomez.
Coaching staff has been told to fail for Nail

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:

That would be why, after the first, you often hear "well we're getting outshot an outplayed but we totally have more hits than them!"

When you never have the puck, you tend to hit more...it's not because we're "tougher", it's because we're playing like a bunch of grinders.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

This. A million times this. I've seen way too many players just whack at pucks to get them out instead of trying to slow the pace down and control it.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rumple03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
AK was a star tonight... dominated the game again
Really?

I find AK is Kovalev 2.0, has all kinds of skill but zero heart. He seems to always play like he just doesn't give a damn. He's soft on the puck, I see him get stripped of the puck about 4-5 times a game, they don't even have to fight him for it, it's almost as if he just says "oh is this yours, my bad".

rumple03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Gauthier doesn't make those decision. The draft belong to the scouting team not the GM. Timmins & company give Gauthier the names
If you dont think PG doesn't stick his nose in any of the drafting I have a island to sell you. Was Timmins the scout that picked up Kaberle??!?? Enough said.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Question is: How can we have the best head scout by most people's opinion, how can we have the most players drafted that are playing in the NHL right now and be where we are in the standings.

While Houle was truly incompetent, he didn't have the pleasure of having Timmins as a head scout. Gainey and Gauthier does and did their best to scrap his work. And I thought that the expression terrible two was only for babies....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Dharvey33

Draft Grigorenko get Roy
Get Money **** *****es !!

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Meh, Timmins is making the picks anyways. I don't get keeping him around. Just get rid of him after the deadline.
A new GM might say **** Timmins and do all the drafting himself or replace him with someone who sucks. That's why you wait until after the draft.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

I can see only ONE reason to play Gomez so much as well as a couple other vets.... Trade deadline .

They are showcasing them...

But unfortunately, their value is going down.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why is a team that so good at killing penalties so lousy in its own end at 5-on-5 situations? No, Gauthier isn't on the penalty killing unit, so an anti-PG mantra here wouldn't make any sense.
We should play the whole games pretending to kill a PP.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote