HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

All Things Binghamton Senators Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

vCash: 500
Practice today.........

Joy Lindsay
PSBJoyOnTheSens

#BSens on the ice for practice at the BCVMA without reigning #AHL MVP Corey Locke and captain Mark Parrish, both injured over the weekend.

Rob Klinkhammer also missing from practice, a black vs. red competition. #BSens have 10 forwards and eight D participating.

Via Joy.....

Old
02-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Xspyrit

Ahh sorry to bring that subject back, but give me one last attempt to sensibilize people about Petersson's intentions, that maybe weren't as bad as people seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
And the question that still remains unanswered is.....why do so many players come out and diss binghamton publicly (knowing what's going to happen after they do it); and how come even cities like Elmira don't get this stuff happening to them. This is now becoming an annual occurrence.

And why am I not surprised that this has turned into, what an idiot Petersson is, NOT for what he said but because he said it publicly. And what did he say exactly? binghamton is a boring place. Wow, what an insult. Now if he would have said that the people of binghamton are a bunch of country bumpkins and that they all look like a tub of goo, well I can see where they would have something to get upset about, but geez, binghamton is boring??? really, that's what's got everybody's panties in a knot?
lol, exactly. Lot of people here act like they talk swedish perfectly and were actually there when the interview was given. "Let's eat all the words the medias say, even when it comes from the other side of the sea", damn sheeps.

It doesn't take much to upset occidental people it seems. I'm actually offended by that, when you know that so many people live and die in misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
He trashed the arena and the city. He said something along the lines of "google binghamton, don't go there". That isn't the same as saying it's boring.
Again, you realize that you're not really sure about what he said?

"google binghamton, don't go there".

Do you know what he meant by that?
Do you know it was in Swedish and then it got translated?
Do you know the media who gave the interview was an apparently not very credible newspaper in Sweden? (accord to HF swedish posters)
Do you have an idea of the context?

Maybe he just meant that when you Google "Binghamton", it really won't show you the same results as when you google "New York". Petersson was answering for people in Sweden, they have no idea what binghamton is, just like many other cities in NA. Maybe he was giving an advice to his fellow countrymen that it's not really a place to travel (which is true, no?)

When I was 10 y/o, I had no idea of the existence of the Quebec Province. But I knew by heart the capitals of over 100 countries in the world. Today, I live in this Quebec Region.

I can't believe so many people are not able to put things in perspective, at least just a little.

There's a reason why Petersson was shocked as how his quotes were used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
I agree with Maindot that this should now be water under the bridge, with AP having learned a valuable lession about professionalism, the hard way. I suspect most Binghamton fans will, sensibly, move on in short order. I had the opportunity to take in a second round playoff game there during the cup run last year and the fans were great and very friendly. My wife and I had a wonderful time and will certainly visit again. I think the relationship between the Binghamton and Ottawa franchises has generally been positive under the Murray regime, which is not to say that there have not been some foul-ups and management decisions that did not look as good as they might have, with hindsight. As a Senators fan I support both teams and wish them well. I would be shocked if the affiliation agreement is not renewed.

Cheers,

Sentient
Yes and particulary how to deal with media. They have very long teeth, you can't trust them.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Ahh sorry to bring that subject back, but give me one last attempt to sensibilize people about Petersson's intentions, that maybe weren't as bad as people seem to think.

lol, exactly. Lot of people here act like they talk swedish perfectly and were actually there when the interview was given. "Let's eat all the words the medias say, even when it comes from the other side of the sea", damn sheeps.

It doesn't take much to upset occidental people it seems. I'm actually offended by that, when you know that so many people live and die in misery.

Again, you realize that you're not really sure about what he said?

"google binghamton, don't go there".

Do you know what he meant by that?
Do you know it was in Swedish and then it got translated?
Do you know the media who gave the interview was an apparently not very credible newspaper in Sweden? (accord to HF swedish posters)
Do you have an idea of the context?

Maybe he just meant that when you Google "Binghamton", it really won't show you the same results as when you google "New York". Petersson was answering for people in Sweden, they have no idea what binghamton is, just like many other cities in NA. Maybe he was giving an advice to his fellow countrymen that it's not really a place to travel (which is true, no?)

When I was 10 y/o, I had no idea of the existence of the Quebec Province. But I knew by heart the capitals of over 100 countries in the world. Today, I live in this Quebec Region.

I can't believe so many people are not able to put things in perspective, at least just a little.

There's a reason why Petersson was shocked as how his quotes were used.

Yes and particulary how to deal with media. They have very long teeth, you can't trust them.
Let it go, there is no point to insulting people, it will never endear anyone to your point of view. You don't know that he didn't insult the city either, no one is sure of what exactly was said. The fact is Petersson said something that was interpreted as insulting the city, it may have been misinterpreted but he owned it, he apologized & it should be over with & we move on. Hopefully the fans in Bingo can also forgive & forget.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
How can you misinterpret a picture them standing in graveyard?

Old
02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Actually, I disagree. The Greater Binghamton area is known for two major things. The founding city for a little company called IBM and the first flight simulators, I.E. Link Simulation and Training.

It is the "special" people of Binghamton that did work so hard at IBM and create some of the pioneering technology that allows you to type on your computer in this forum.

Sure, the city has fallen on some hard times, so has most of Upstate NY for the same reasons, industry went overseas. It may not be a garden spot in the country, but trust me, there are PLENTY of worse places in the USA than Binghamton, NY. I've been there.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
He trashed the arena and the city. He said something along the lines of "google binghamton, don't go there". That isn't the same as saying it's boring.

This! Come back anytime, we appreciate the fans that actually come to Bingo and see what we are really like.
NOT the same as boring? Really? So what is your interpretation? I take it to mean, google binghamton, confirm for yourself there is nothing to do there, so don't go there. i.e boring. Or are you saying that he meant something like binghamton smells like sewer and the people who live there are morons? Because the latter would merit booing him, the first would be grounds for at worse chuckling at him.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Quote:
Actually, I disagree. The Greater Binghamton area is known for two major things. The founding city for a little company called IBM and the first flight simulators, I.E. Link Simulation and Training.

It is the "special" people of Binghamton that did work so hard at IBM and create some of the pioneering technology that allows you to type on your computer in this forum.

Sure, the city has fallen on some hard times, so has most of Upstate NY for the same reasons, industry went overseas. It may not be a garden spot in the country, but trust me, there are PLENTY of worse places in the USA than Binghamton, NY. I've been there.

Sens83:

Also Endicott Johnson "EJ" Company was founded here back in 1881.

By World War I, EJ was the world’s largest shoe manufacturer, employing as many as 30,000 workers in several dozen factories along the New York - Pennsylvania border. The villages of Endicott and Johnson City were named after two early EJ presidents, Henry B Endicott, a wealthy Boston leather merchant, and George F. Johnson, friend of FDR and EJ president until his death in 1951. EJ made all of its rubber footwear and much of its leather footwear in Johnson City. Nestled in hemlock and chestnut forests, Endicott was the tannery center for EJ from the early 1900s until the 1960s.

In fact they payed better than IBM till the late 50's.

Way before your time Sens83........

Old
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
sg58

I can not speak for what was actually said to the Swedish journalist, but I can assure you this is not a case where things got lost or exagerrated in translation.

Then again, there's no reason to doubt André when he talks about him and the Swedish journalist talking for a long time about everything and the journalist picking the best parts to take an angle that would generate a lot more buzz than André detailing the actual hockey in Binghamton.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
The founding city for a little company called IBM and the
Ya know I'm sorry to be the pessimist but this really isn't anything to be proud of. Let's not forget IBM turned millions in profits from the Holocaust. We could go on for pages about the concepts of a corporation (I work for a fortune 50 sorry to say) and I'm sure there have been discussions in the political thread but just something to keep in mind.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

W/all the negative bs going on about playing in Bingo, some refreshing news out of Calgary concerning Derek's new contract..

====
Two weeks ago, the Calgary Flames announced they have given Smith a two-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million that kicks in next year. The 27-year-old defenseman made his pro debut with the Binghamton Senators in 2007 and helped them to their first Calder Cup championship last year
Last July, Smith signed a one-year, two-way contract with Calgary worth $700,000 at either level -- his first real chance to play in the NHL. While with the Ottawa organization, he played in only 11 NHL games.

"Four years in one spot -- lots of players don't get to do that, especially in the American League," Smith said. "It was a great time in my life. I made some good friends, playing with a lot of good guys and just people I met in the community. Lots of guys didn't get that chance because they didn't have the same tenure. It was tough to leave.

"Things went well in Binghamton, but I felt like it was time to move on and face a new challenge. After winning the championship there last season, it was nice to leave on top like that."

======
http://www.pressconnects.com/article...ORTS/202200362

Last edited by Ski: 02-21-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
02-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeA View Post
Sens83:

Also Endicott Johnson "EJ" Company was founded here back in 1881.

By World War I, EJ was the world’s largest shoe manufacturer, employing as many as 30,000 workers in several dozen factories along the New York - Pennsylvania border. The villages of Endicott and Johnson City were named after two early EJ presidents, Henry B Endicott, a wealthy Boston leather merchant, and George F. Johnson, friend of FDR and EJ president until his death in 1951. EJ made all of its rubber footwear and much of its leather footwear in Johnson City. Nestled in hemlock and chestnut forests, Endicott was the tannery center for EJ from the early 1900s until the 1960s.

In fact they payed better than IBM till the late 50's.

Way before your time Sens83........
I'll take it one of many steps further..

Eureka Tents Home Headquarters..
http://www.eurekatent.com/

Dick's Sporting Goods Birthplace..
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/co...Footer_AboutUs

Edwin Albert Link Simulators Birthplace..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Link

BU top 100 University's in the USA..
Binghamton University is currently ranked 90th among the 262 national universities ranked in the 2012 U.S. News America's Best Colleges and Universities ranking and is a Public Ivy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

I will continue this list for those that care tomorrow..otherwise flame away my city like some of you take great pleasure in doing in Canada..

Old
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

I'll just also add one of my favorite delicatessens from Bingo is the speidie sandwich/sub..

Birthplace and exclusive..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

Old
02-22-2012, 08:35 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
W/all the negative bs going on about playing in Bingo, some refreshing news out of Calgary concerning Derek's new contract..

====
Two weeks ago, the Calgary Flames announced they have given Smith a two-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million that kicks in next year. The 27-year-old defenseman made his pro debut with the Binghamton Senators in 2007 and helped them to their first Calder Cup championship last year
Last July, Smith signed a one-year, two-way contract with Calgary worth $700,000 at either level -- his first real chance to play in the NHL. While with the Ottawa organization, he played in only 11 NHL games.

"Four years in one spot -- lots of players don't get to do that, especially in the American League," Smith said. "It was a great time in my life. I made some good friends, playing with a lot of good guys and just people I met in the community. Lots of guys didn't get that chance because they didn't have the same tenure. It was tough to leave.

"Things went well in Binghamton, but I felt like it was time to move on and face a new challenge. After winning the championship there last season, it was nice to leave on top like that."

======
http://www.pressconnects.com/article...ORTS/202200362
Good for Derek.

Winning the Calder Cup gave a lot of the guys a good chance to further their careers.
Sounds like it worked out better for Derek than for Benoit and his unfortunate experence in the KHL.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
operasen

Wonder if Locke moves on next year. He knows he will not get another shot here with the big club.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Wonder if Locke moves on next year. He knows he will not get another shot here with the big club.
Ummm I am pretty sure even his cat knows that he has no chance in the NHL in any other organization, that's why hes getting paid like the Oveshkin of the AHL.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Practice today...via Joy...

Joy Lindsay
PSBJoyOnTheSens

Former #Sens defenseman Jason Smith first man on the ice for #BSens practice this morning at the BCVMA.

Corey Locke is practicing with a full face cage. Great to see he's OK, and great news for the #BSens he's not out long-term.

#BSens lines:
Hoffman-Locke-Bartlett,
Klinkhammer-Da Costa-Petersson,
Dziurzynski-Cannone-Downing,
Grant-Hamilton-Lessard.

Via Joy.....

Old
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Let it go, there is no point to insulting people, it will never endear anyone to your point of view. You don't know that he didn't insult the city either, no one is sure of what exactly was said. The fact is Petersson said something that was interpreted as insulting the city, it may have been misinterpreted but he owned it, he apologized & it should be over with & we move on. Hopefully the fans in Bingo can also forgive & forget.
What? I didn't insult anyone (or I missed it as it was not my intention anyway). I'm just asking people to take some things in consideration when they are evaluating this situation

You're right : I don't know if Petersson insulted the city or not. That's exactly why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and I'm not condemning him for what he POSSIBLY said.

Don't you understand? That's exactly why I keep posting about it. I want people to see the light that you can't judge people based on "maybe and possibly". I'm not asking anybody to be perfect (because no one is) but at least make an effort

What Petersson did was unprofessional (good or bad) because that's not how you deal with medias. You can't trust them and feed them with something that they can use to fit their motivations.

Seems like he already understood and did some damage control without arguing much. I always found that Petersson seemed like a very wise guy so I'm not going to condemn him based on this (IMO meaningless) story

In the end, I think Petersson has been screwed by that Swedish media who made it 100 worse than it really is :

Via Joy :
Quote:
Petersson was "mostly confused" by how comments were used
Pretty strong feeling that his quotes were used out of context for more sensationalism. After all, that's what medias are all about.

Quote:

That's great, it's probably where I heard about Binghamton. There's a museum in Paris (France) about Computers' history. Check the image, 5000 people work in this building (there's more than the museum ). It's very impressive :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebmafate/3119103091/

That being said, I was born near Marseille, in Toulon

http://www.defense.gouv.fr/var/dicod...-de-toulon.jpg

That's where I came from but I now live in a small city 15 minutes away from Montreal, QC. It's boring as hell for young people but I don't care right now, I don't need it to be funny (don't go out much anymore). If somebody ever says that my city is boring I would likely answer : "Oh really?" or just : "I care?"

Anyway, don't feel included if I said "special people", I was talking about a minority of course. I do know that there is "special people" everywhere, but always in minority (again it's the 80/20 rule for me). In my experience, the odds to find more of those are greater in smaller cities that are not very open minded to multiculturalism. I have no idea about Bingo's people mentality but I saw a few posters around here that seemed to be in that breed.

In conclusion, Bingo is probably 10 times better and bigger than where I live right now, I'm sure there's great people around here. 21 y/o Petersson strikes me as a young foreigner that is homesick and a bit bored outside of his job. Maybe he doesn't get along well with people, particulary with those with a different culture and language. Adaptation to a new country (and continent) is not the easiest thing to do. You'd likely feel a bit lost at first if you were going to live in Sweden for example. I know for a fact that my first 2 years in Canada were very hard socially and I was mad at my father for making us live so far from our true home. Then, I made a lot of friends... and girlfriends. It helped

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Jack Downing, Josh Godfrey and Wacey Hamilton

Joy Lindsay
PSBJoyOnTheSens

Jack Downing, Josh Godfrey and Wacey Hamilton were just sent off. Expect them to be re-assigned to Elmira for an #ECHL game tonight. #BSens

Old
02-22-2012, 11:30 AM
operasen

Was just looking ahead to next year's forward potential. Very impressive.

Hoffman – Locke – Petersson
Klinkhammer – O’Brien – Parrish
Prince – Pageau – Stone
Dziurzynski - DaCosta – Grant
Cowick – Caporusso – Cannone

Never mind Zibanejad, Silfverberg.
Not counting guys like Downing, Bartlett, Lessard, Hamilton

Old
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Was just looking ahead to next year's forward potential. Very impressive.

Hoffman – Locke – Petersson
Klinkhammer – O’Brien – Parrish
Prince – Pageau – Stone
Dziurzynski - DaCosta – Grant
Cowick – Caporusso – Cannone

Never mind Zibanejad, Silfverberg.
Not counting guys like Downing, Bartlett, Lessard, Hamilton
Locke won't be back. His contract is up and there is already rumors of him going to Europe. We will probably lose Klinkhammer too but I hope they resign him if he wants to stay.

I expect one or two of OB/DD/DaCosta to make the big club replacing Konopka/Winchester.

Please don't sign Lessard, aka Blockhead, for another year. We don't need him and he just takes away from chemistry when on the ice.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:58 AM
sens83

I should also note that I am much more worried about our defensive lines next year. They are thin as it is...

Wiercioch
Raymond
Henningson

Losing Schira (RFA), Boro (Big Club), Conboy (UFA), Gryba (RFA)

With Kuba/Lee/Carkner all free agents too theres is going to be some movement. Our blue line depth needs to be addressed and back filled by the GM this offseason, that needs to be priority one.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Perkovich suspended

Perkovich suspended

2/22/2012 3:25 PM EST

The American Hockey League has suspended Albany Devils forward Nathan Perkovich three games for his hit on Binghamton Senators captain Mark Parrish on Sunday.

Perkovich knocked Parrish's head into the ice with 21 seconds left in the first period of the Devils' 4-2 win. Parrish has been sidelined by concussion symptoms since.

In case you missed it in my game story for Monday's paper, here's what B-Sens Coach Kurt Kleinendorst had to say about the hit:

"We have the luxury of watching it over, and that was a pretty dirty play. It's unfortunate, too. I don't get that part of it. I get the honest hockey part of it, but I don't get where somebody would take the back of somebody's head and slam it into the ice. That's not an emotional play. That's not a hockey. That's just a dirty, gutless play.

Via Joy

Old
02-23-2012, 07:03 AM
operasen

Just love KK. he breaks everything down for this team.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:03 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Practice today.....

Joy Lindsay
PSBJoyOnTheSens

#BSens are on the ice for practice at the BCVMA. Jack Downing, Josh Godfrey and Wacey Hamilton are back from Elmira.

#BSens practice lines:
Hoffman-Locke-Bartlett,
Klinkhammer-Da Costa-Petersson,
Dziurzynski-Cannone-Downing,
Grant-Hamilton-Lessard.

#BSens practice D:
Borowiecki-Gryba,
Henningson-Conboy,
Wiercioch-Schira,
Raymond-Godfrey.

Via Joy.....

Old
02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
I should also note that I am much more worried about our defensive lines next year. They are thin as it is...

Wiercioch
Raymond
Henningson

Losing Schira (RFA), Boro (Big Club), Conboy (UFA), Gryba (RFA)

With Kuba/Lee/Carkner all free agents too theres is going to be some movement. Our blue line depth needs to be addressed and back filled by the GM this offseason, that needs to be priority one.
I'm wondering if Benoit comes back to the AHL & hopefully Bingo since they could use the defensive help next season. I expect that Wiercioch & Gryba will start next season in Bingo & maybe Boro. My guess is that Locke, Parrish, Lessard, Conboy & Schira won't be re-signed. I also think that O'Brien, Hoffman & Boro have the best shot at playing in Ottawa next season except there won't be that much room on Ottawa's roster especially if Silfverberg & Zibanejad make the team as most expect & if Murray adds a UFA this summer.

I assume that Da Costa replaces Locke as the #1 centre in Bingo, with the addition of Turris in Ottawa Da Costa would now be considered a callup. There are going to be a lot of decisions to make on numerous players in Bingo & in Ottawa for next season. I expect Stone, Prince, Pageau, Kramer, Culek, Blood & Wideman to all be part of Bingo's team for next season with a couple likely spending time in Elmira.

Closed Thread