HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

European Prospects - where are you?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
  #1
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
European Prospects - where are you?

It looks like Johan Ryno is coming to the NCAA next year. I'm actually liking this move. I'm not sure at all how the NCAA ranks against other leagues like the AHL/Swedish/etc. but at least we get to see him in action and he'll begin learning the NA style of game, which could be very beneficial considering his mammoth size. Plus, perhaps more importantly, he'll acclimate himself to the culture and form connections with people over here other than just playing hockey. I think this is a good move for him as a hockey player and as a person.

But it also made me wonder - what's up with our other european prospects? In the thread about players who are or aren't earning their money and who should and shouldn't be re-signed, the conversation has drifted a bit (partially thanks to me ) to possible lineups next year and, aside from Grigorenko, I realized a startling lack of mention of possible European prospects coming over.

Where is Blatak? Or Jamtin? Can we really expect Seluyanov or Axelsson or Ritola to ever make it across the pond? I don't even see it mentioned to bring them over to play in GR, and these guys aren't exactly projects like Ericsson or Berggren or Lofberg.

I know not all of these guys *have* to be signed right now, but if they're ready, they're ready. It just seems like they are never ready and I'm wondering where everyone else stands on this because, right now, I have more hopes for Kolasau or Matt Ellis to see the Wings lineup than Blatak or Jamtin, which surprises me a bit. I would love to see them make it, but I'm certainly not expecting it like I once was.

RWC - Prospect Watch

Winger98 is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 11:40 PM
  #2
GoBoltz56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa and Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Blatak will be signed this summer..possibly Jamtin if he finishes strong.

GoBoltz56 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 06:06 AM
  #3
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
This is a curious and unexpected move for me. I would never have thought that a guy like Ryno would up and decide to go to college in the US. But perhaps myself and many others were a bit hasty to criticize Hakan when he took all those long-term project Swedes in last summer's draft. Hopefully this is the intention for players like Lofberg, whose rights would be lost if they don't improve enough to be signed. Now, if I understand this correctly, Ryno can mature for another 3 or 4 years before they have to sign him, instead of having to let him go next summer.

Don't know how much of this was Detroit's doing and how much was Ryno's, but either way, great idea.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
  #4
GoBoltz56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa and Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
This is a curious and unexpected move for me. I would never have thought that a guy like Ryno would up and decide to go to college in the US. But perhaps myself and many others were a bit hasty to criticize Hakan when he took all those long-term project Swedes in last summer's draft. Hopefully this is the intention for players like Lofberg, whose rights would be lost if they don't improve enough to be signed. Now, if I understand this correctly, Ryno can mature for another 3 or 4 years before they have to sign him, instead of having to let him go next summer.

Don't know how much of this was Detroit's doing and how much was Ryno's, but either way, great idea.
Agreed...now hopefully they can get Kolasau a college gig somewhere so he can develop for a couple years without having to being signed this summer and forced into the ECHL or a level he's not ready for.

GoBoltz56 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 05:22 PM
  #5
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,154
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
im so glad to see ryno coming over, that means hes commited, wants to take on a serious nhl career and wants to take it to a new level. I think this is going to do wonders for the young kid, hes a beast, this kid could be the nex big thing for us for checking line purposes...

im thrilled

id love to see blatak, and jamtin signed this summer, ohhhh yea along with that grigorenko kid, i heard he can hack it!

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
01-18-2006, 06:23 AM
  #6
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
im so glad to see ryno coming over, that means hes commited, wants to take on a serious nhl career and wants to take it to a new level. I think this is going to do wonders for the young kid, hes a beast, this kid could be the nex big thing for us for checking line purposes...

im thrilled

id love to see blatak, and jamtin signed this summer, ohhhh yea along with that grigorenko kid, i heard he can hack it!
I don't think Ryno is being projected as a checker, it looks like he is projected as a big winger/power forward offensive type. If he turns out to be a good checking line player I have no problem with that, but from all the scouting reports I've seen, if he pans out it will likely be as a scorer.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 05:01 PM
  #7
Leo Naphta
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On top of the World
Country: Sweden
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
According to this article, which was made yesterday, Ryno is intent on staying in Sweden next year and playing in the SEL, and has told Minnesota that he has no interest in playing in college.

Leo Naphta is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:18 PM
  #8
Pekka Lampinen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Jämtin has returned to Sweden and to HV-71. TPS wasn't happy with his performances, and that naturally led to Jämtin ending up in a role which he himself wasn't happy with, so they agreed to terminate the contract.

Here's a link in Finnish.

Pekka Lampinen is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:30 PM
  #9
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Bad news, kids, I got a second opinion on the Ryno article and it looks like he's staying put. The upside, though, is that it looks like there are several SEL teams after him, so he should get his pick and find a good spot. And if there are that many teams after him, it's a good sign that he's making an impression around the league.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:33 PM
  #10
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Lampinen
Jämtin has returned to Sweden and to HV-71. TPS wasn't happy with his performances, and that naturally led to Jämtin ending up in a role which he himself wasn't happy with, so they agreed to terminate the contract.

Here's a link in Finnish.
But will he bring back the LOOK?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1208071719.jpg‎ (2.4 KB, 9 views)

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:02 PM
  #11
Leo Naphta
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On top of the World
Country: Sweden
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Bad news, kids, I got a second opinion on the Ryno article and it looks like he's staying put.
I didn't know my Swedish was that bad.

Leo Naphta is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
  #12
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
I didn't know my Swedish was that bad.
No, it's not, I just wanted to make sure so I took it to the Sweden board and got it verified. No offense intended.

He's not going to play college hockey here. SEL teams are after him.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
  #13
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Wow, time for cynicism again but I wonder if the "going to the NCAA" thing wasn't floated in Sweden to try to build immediate interest for him there. Maybe I've seen too many public contract negotiations in the states between players and teams, but that's what this seems like to me.

Winger98 is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 01:40 AM
  #14
Robertsson 4-ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wexio
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
No, it's not, I just wanted to make sure so I took it to the Sweden board and got it verified. No offense intended.

He's not going to play college hockey here. SEL teams are after him.
I've seen him once this season, and he lookes really good. One of Sweden's best players at WJC and one of the best young players in tier-2. He'll be a regular in the SEL next year.

Stefan Liv has declared that he want's to cross the pond so count him as a member of the Griffins next year. I could also see Jämtin cross the pond, and maybe Jari Tolsa. If Tolsa is not coming next year he'll never come.

Robertsson 4-ever is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 07:25 AM
  #15
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
I've seen him once this season, and he lookes really good. One of Sweden's best players at WJC and one of the best young players in tier-2. He'll be a regular in the SEL next year.

Stefan Liv has declared that he want's to cross the pond so count him as a member of the Griffins next year. I could also see Jämtin cross the pond, and maybe Jari Tolsa. If Tolsa is not coming next year he'll never come.
From the reports I've seen on Tolsa he hasn't impressed the Wings enough to get a contract. I haven't seen him play but judging by his numbers and his low goal output I'd say the Wings already have enough passers - if he were a sniper he would have a better shot. I really hope that Liv and Jamtin sign and come over this summer, because the clock is ticking on both, especially Liv. It's now or never for him. Even if he turns out to be a capable NHL goalie, by the time he's NHL ready he'll be a free agent.

sarcastro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.