HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are players worth and should we resign them?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Indeed. I would love to get Boynton in here, or failing that, I'm a big Keith Carney fan.
What about Paval Kubina

Old
01-20-2006, 01:42 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
What about Paval Kubina
I like him for next year, but I was talking about guys the Wings could deal for now. Tampa won't be dealing Kubina, but Boynton and Carney could probably be had by the deadline.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I like him for next year, but I was talking about guys the Wings could deal for now. Tampa won't be dealing Kubina, but Boynton and Carney could probably be had by the deadline.
Great call on Carney, a stay-at-home D-men which is more of what we need now anyway. Solid D-man, not afraid to hit, but isn't he a bit on the older side for a trade? He is making $2 million right now, which is not bad for a veteran D-man of his caliber, but I don't know what remains on that contract.

I guess I'd rather get a guy like him at the deadline for a low pick, or preferably just sign him if he is a UFA. Still, I'd like to get the Wings out of the habit of signing guys over the age of 35!

Old
01-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
Great call on Carney, a stay-at-home D-men which is more of what we need now anyway. Solid D-man, not afraid to hit, but isn't he a bit on the older side for a trade? He is making $2 million right now, which is not bad for a veteran D-man of his caliber, but I don't know what remains on that contract.

I guess I'd rather get a guy like him at the deadline for a low pick, or preferably just sign him if he is a UFA. Still, I'd like to get the Wings out of the habit of signing guys over the age of 35!
Carney's in his early 30s and is a UFA after this season. A good rental.

I'm still on the side that's okay with signing older UFA, as long as they aren't given ridiculous (long term) contracts. Carney, only as an example, might be in his early thirties, but I can't see his play seriously deteriorating in the next couple of seasons and he'd really just be a placeholder for younger guys coming up through the system.

I'd like to see the Wings able to sign younger UFA, too. But any of them that are halfway decent will cost a small fortune and will probably want longer term deals. In a cap world, I'm not sure it'd be the most cost effective way to build and maintain a team, or if it would be better to bring in older players at cheaper amounts and fewer years while relying on drafting and developing to bring in younger talant and giving the lion's share of the payroll to them as they mature.

Old
01-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Higgy4

Carney will be 36 in about 2 weeks. Not young by any means.

He is a guy I would like to see the Wings get as a playoff rental. But not a guy I want them to keep long term.

Old
01-21-2006, 01:53 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I thought we were getting out of the Rent-a-Player business...

Old
01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I thought we were getting out of the Rent-a-Player business...

I think Carney would come relatively cheap. He is getting older and the Ducks are always looking to save a buck.

Old
01-21-2006, 09:13 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I think Carney would come relatively cheap. He is getting older and the Ducks are always looking to save a buck.
Not to forget that Babcock coached him with the Ducks and knows what he is getting from Carney!

Old
01-23-2006, 08:31 AM
sarcastro

I agree that they shouldn't go for rent-a-players like Lang (too expensive) and Mironov (worthless), but if they can get a guy like Carney for a 4th rounder or maybe a low pick and a prospect without much upside then I say it's worth it. I also think it's a special circumstance this year, because the Wings have been without two of their top 4 defensemen all year and we don't know for sure how Kronwall will look when he does come back. There is still some time before the deadline - I would imagine that if Kronwall gets back into the swing of things and is looking ok, then they'll hold off, but if he looks Hatcheresque, then they should see what Carney's price is, or try to find another guy like him to fill the gap.

The bottom line is, don't give up any key parts and don't mortgage the future - as long as we hold onto our top prospects and our early picks, making the right deal is ok.

Closed Thread