HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs Lose !!!!!! (Tank the Tank-Gods!!!)

Old
02-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Not giving up on him, but I'm not elevating him to the top tier like many are. People just don't want to admit that we possibly didn't get what we should have for Halak. I just don't get the love at this point.
What do you think Halak could have gave us honestly? A legitimate 1st center by now? Eller is progressing nicely and will be a great 2nd center, capable of playing two way. Halak back then had a ONE good year and never played a REAL complete season as a 1st goalie(still hasn't reach that level btw). ALso a goalie never had that MUCH value in a trade. Do you think we could have get a player like Backes or anything close to that? Get real.

Your last sentence is exactly why this team has been miserable for many years. If a young player doesn't get 30 goals+ after his first 2 years in Montreal, he's nothing special or like you said, doesn't GET the love so you want him gone.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
A want a Sherman!
I'm glad people have responded to you by posting pictures of tanks as I'd feared the above was Cockney rhyming slang. I wouldn't have wanted to see the follow up posts if it had been.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Protest the Hero

Oh god, the Halak debate again?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:38 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
What do you think Halak could have gave us honestly? A legitimate 1st center by now? Eller is progressing nicely and will be a great 2nd center, capable of playing two way. Halak back then had a ONE good year and never played a REAL complete season as a 1st goalie(still hasn't reach that level btw). ALso a goalie never had that MUCH value in a trade. Do you think we could have get a player like Backes or anything close to that? Get real.

Your last sentence is exactly why this team has been miserable for many years. If a young player doesn't get 30 goals+ after his first 2 years in Montreal, he's nothing special or like you said, doesn't GET the love so you want him gone.
Exactly, huge lack of patience, remember when Pacioretty was a bust?
Even the example you used, Backes, was far from being what he is now at 22.

Also future captain

Jessica Rusnak@JessRusnak

#habs Lars Eller is always available to speak to the media can't someone else come out and give that poor guy a break

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:40 PM
durojean

I seriously think we should try Eller on an offensive role for at least 10 games in a row.
I've said it with Desharnais andI'm saying it with Eller... If you want to see offensive numbers put the guy with offensive guy.

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Kostitsyn Eller Bourque
Darche Plekanec White
Leblanc Gomez Palushag

And on D

Subban Emelin
Kaberle Gorges
Campoli Weber

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't see him slipping in 2012. 2013? Maybe. I know that personnally, I had and still have Galchenyuk ahead of him. But Grigo wouldn't be a bad pick. Though clearly this year, it's Yakupov and the rest. What changes now, even for me, is that even if we're filled with great quality d-men prospects, it is entirely possible that I would be tempted by Trouba or a few others BEFORE i'd like at Grigo. But my mind isn't made yet. But if Galchenyuk would have played this year, I would be real CLEAR for everybody that he should be a consensus #2.
How bad is Galchenyuk's injury? Would you be tempted to draft him #2 if you had it and Nail was already taken?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You might want to review your list. Washington hasn't even won a Cup in its entire history.
Washington didn't win but they iced perpetual contenders and Pittsburgh and Chicago have already won cups.

Quote:
For every Pittsburgh who lucks into a generational player and Chicago who builds a strong nucleus of veterans around a handful of kids, there are any numbers of Columbuses, Atlantas, and New York Islanders.
Atlanta had one superstar kill a teammate and another great prospect get perpetually hurt. They were toast as soon as Heatley killed Snyder. The Islanders drafted high and traded away a Stanley Cup calibre roster and Columbus was an expansion team starting from absolute zero. And all three of those clubs had picks that turned into offensive superstars that we haven't seen in 20 years. Columbus and Atlanta both got Richard trophy winners out of it, something we haven't seen since Lafleur. They're problem was lack of resources, stupid trading and no scouting. Plus, two out of the three were expansion clubs starting with nothing.

We aren't in that situation, we have better scouting and better players already here. 'Tanking' doesn't guarantee a cup by any stretch but most cup winners are those that have rebuilt. It's a fact that you keep trying to deny, but it's a fact nonetheless.
Quote:
They're a terrible club and by the time they're ready to compete all their kids will be up for big paydays. The bloggers over there are guffawing over the endless rebuild and the "30th place, 30th place, 30th place and then BAM! Stanley Cup" magical thinking.
That's what you said about Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Look, Edmonton may never put it together. We both agree that their management are a bunch of clueless morons. But the talent over there is undeniable. They'd have to really screw things up to not become a good team.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Exactly, huge lack of patience, remember when Pacioretty was a bust?
Even the example you used, Backes, was far from being what he is now at 22.

Also future captain

Jessica Rusnak@JessRusnak

#habs Lars Eller is always available to speak to the media can't someone else come out and give that poor guy a break
Got to love Eller's attitude. The kid is fearless.

That's why I have high hopes for him. What he's good at already are things that we needed from our forward prospects (not just size but playing to his size, sound defensive play, excellent puck possession), while his weaknesses, mainly decision making in front of the net tends to get better with age. He might not have that playmaking vision you can see from day 1 in elite prospects like Tavares and Crosby, but he's already improved his offensive play significantly.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Mrb1p

Please stop with all the small tank. What we need is this...

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I seriously think we should try Eller on an offensive role for at least 10 games in a row. I've said it with Desharnais andI'm saying it with Eller... If you want to see offensive numbers put the guy with offensive guy.

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Kostitsyn Eller Bourque
Darche Plekanec White
Leblanc Gomez Palushag

And on D

Subban Emelin
Kaberle Gorges
Campoli Weber
I respectfully disagree.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Got to love Eller's attitude. The kid is fearless.

That's why I have high hopes for him. What he's good at already are things that we needed from our forward prospects (not just size but playing to his size, sound defensive play, excellent puck possession), while his weaknesses, mainly decision making in front of the net tends to get better with age. He might not have that playmaking vision you can see from day 1 in elite prospects like Tavares and Crosby, but he's already improved his offensive play significantly.
That's actually the part of his game that reminds me of Subban. Both have the ability to make some nice passes (mixed in with puck hog tendencies) but a big part of their offence comes from their puck possession game making them strong ES players. Puck possession =goals. I already said about Subban that I don't think he'll put up the same numbers as a prime Markov but I suspect that the kind of stenght he has will make him the better ES player.

And I agree a big part of me believing so much in him is his work ethic and maturity, you can see he wants to be a big part of the team, alot of kids would have completely lost confidance after a season like that where their role and linemates changes every 3 games.

Last edited by EllertoKostitsynGoal: 02-21-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
I respectfully disagree.
Why?

Posting an opinion without arguments is like hitting someone you don't know in the face and run away after.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Keep losing please.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Why?

Posting an opinion without arguments is like hitting someone you don't know in the face and run away after.
Leaf fan I think. Jealous we have the guy that was taken with their pick maybe

Old
02-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Eller needs a new coach. Let's stop this nonsense of trying to turn him into a 4th line sweetheart.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Leaf fan I think. Jealous we have the guy that was taken with their pick maybe
Hahah, Alrighty.

I hate when people say thing's like : <<No You're dumb, man..>>
And then conversation ends...Insert jackie chan meme.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
SB164

Quote:

A Nazi tank?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Eller needs a new coach. Let's stop this nonsense of trying to turn him into a 4th line sweetheart.
This. WTF is he doing not playing on the PP even when Plekanec is off the lineup?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
People need to accept the tank is coming Edmonton fans had no choice but to accept it and their agony is ending slowly but surely , i just hope ours will be much shorter.

We need some elite talent for christ sake and galchenyuk and Grigorenko are the bets two options we have embrace it instead of denying it.

Gainey did horrible things with the team but the past is the past let's look forward we have a top 5 waiting for us plus 2 seconds round pick i trust Timmins will get us some much needed depth and hope for the future.
I'm not actually that upset about the future. My only real regret at this point is losing McDo.

1. Carey FFS wake up a bit. And he will when he gets a much better D next year.

2. We are developing absurd depth on D. Christ even Darren Dietz is becoming special. I think our D looks very good for the next 6 years, and we can trade the extras for good picks or effective forwards. We need to add a big crushing top 4 guy. We have the cash if we dump Gomer. Go after Suter. Overpay him 1 mill. Just GET him.

3. Max is superb, and Cole will help us the next 2 years. Gallagher is special, Bournival looks good, Leblanc looks very good. We do need another elite winger, perhaps in this draft, or by trade.

4. My only real concern: Center. We suck so bad at center. There is a real split on these boards on this, but I think we need a big, rangy, powerful no. 1, 30-50 guy. Imagine having that, and then Pleks on no 2, and Eller no. 3. AWESOME. DD? He can fill in, and play good wing too, or we trade him for a very good pick.

It is essential that we finish bottom 5 and draft a center if he's the BPA. Essential.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
A Nazi tank?
Baaah, look at it the other way. 900MM gun.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
deandebean

Quote:

Wooow!

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Best tank in the world my friend.....

A good combo of speed (increasingly important) and mass/muscle/armor. Always the tough design choice with tanks.

Therefore the engine is key. You can have both speed and mass with a great engine.

Therefore, for Habs tank, I think we should apply a good combination of speed and armor, and the Abram is a good model.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I'm not actually that upset about the future. My only real regret at this point is losing McDo.

1. Carey FFS wake up a bit. And he will when he gets a much better D next year.

2. We are developing absurd depth on D. Christ even Darren Dietz is becoming special. I think our D looks very good for the next 6 years, and we can trade the extras for good picks or effective forwards. We need to add a big crushing top 4 guy. We have the cash if we dump Gomer. Go after Suter. Overpay him 1 mill. Just GET him.

3. Max is superb, and Cole will help us the next 2 years. Gallagher is special, Bournival looks good, Leblanc looks very good. We do need another elite winger, perhaps in this draft, or by trade.

4. My only real concern: Center. We suck so bad at center. There is a real split on these boards on this, but I think we need a big, rangy, powerful no. 1, 30-50 guy. Imagine having that, and then Pleks on no 2, and Eller no. 3. AWESOME. DD? He can fill in, and play good wing too, or we trade him for a very good pick.

It is essential that we finish bottom 5 and draft a center if he's the BPA. Essential.
Wait, is it really a concern ? I mean, look at Boston...Or go the other way and look at Chicago (I know Toews is superior but I don't consider him elite offense contributor like the Malkin/Crosby/Datsyuk of this world....Much more like Plek on supplements.) You might want to look back in the past and see what it was like when we had our last Elite winger(Kovy) or even in 09 when we had Cammy before his injury. Our C depth is pretty good. It's up there with almost any team (Any team doesnt include Pittsburgh. And maybe not SJ.) What we need is a real quality winger to go with it.
We got one in Patches (Who is still young and will be better (i think...)). We got Cole, Gionta, AK(God please god..), Bourque who are all great SUPPORT player. So let's just pick any elite winger and put him on our (Healthy) roster and see what it does ...
IK its contradictory(WTF, is that a word?) of what the media made you(Not directed to anybody here.) belive but I think it's pretty logical..

Feel free to bring in opinions with arguments.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Habs Junkie

Just watched the Ribiero goal and Josh Gorges was asleep on the play. If you're gonna be a shutdown d, then you gotta shutdown.

Yeah I said it!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
A good combo of speed (increasingly important) and mass/muscle/armor. Always the tough design choice with tanks.

Therefore the engine is key. You can have both speed and mass with a great engine.

Therefore, for Habs tank, I think we should apply a good combination of speed and armor, and the Abram is a good model.
Heavy, Mean, Hard, Dangerous, Deadly, Annihilating(Or what ever..), GIGANTIC, Powerhouse... I like those word better.