HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The All Purpose Alexander Radulov Thread v1.0 (UPD: Does not have to clear waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Another issue that I'm not really familiar with, doesn't he have to be on the roster by the trade deadline to be eligible for the playoffs? Not sure..

I don't think it matters anyway. If (big if) he comes back, I'm betting on it being next Fall.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Another issue that I'm not really familiar with, doesn't he have to be on the roster by the trade deadline to be eligible for the playoffs? Not sure..

I don't think it matters anyway. If (big if) he comes back, I'm betting on it being next Fall.
I was thinking the same thing. For some reason I have it in my head that if he isn't over by the deadline then it's essentially a waste of time.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
token grinder

Radulov is suspended, but is still one of our 50 contracts, so I would say he can come back game 82 if we let him.

Old
02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Hasnt this been discussed a million times. Radulov doesnt have to go through waivers!!
Actually ... there is nothing definitive one way or another. He is suspended under Article 9.1(d)(iii) of the CBA which may or may not allow him back into the league this season. All it clearly does is allow the team to suspend him and keep him under the Entry Level System while he is failing to honor his NHL contract.
Quote:
In the event a Player ceases to render his playing services called for under his SPC (except as a result of injury, illness or disability) during such period that he is in the Entry Level System, then during such non-playing period, the Player's number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period equal to the remaining unfulfilled portion of his SPC.

Unless Article 13.23 gets in the way and exposes him to waivers ...
Quote:
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
Just as there was nothing in the NHL/KHL agreements that covered his departure while under contract, there is nothing in agreements between the leagues or CBA that covers his return to the NHL during a season. It's nothing but speculation about how conflicting portions of the CBA will interact IF Radulov decides to return.

Old
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Nitrous Mafia

TL;DR

we have no idea

Old
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
irisheyes555

from what little i have heard even if he plays one game he serves his last year of the ELC.

my question is if the preds don't allow him to play at all does that fullfill the ELC?

do the preds try to sign him to an extention in order to get him to come back?

Old
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
from what little i have heard even if he plays one game he serves his last year of the ELC.

my question is if the preds don't allow him to play at all does that fullfill the ELC?

do the preds try to sign him to an extention in order to get him to come back?
He has to play a game this season for his ELC to be honored. If he does not lace them up for the Preds this season he will still be bound by the same year on his ELC next season.

IF he is able to come back after the deadline and IF he does just that (I'll just assume DP would not risk bringing him over unless he has been assured that Rads is exempt from waivers) I would imagine Poile would like to begin initial discussions of a new deal ASAP. He would be foolish to actually put an offer on the table before he sees how Radulov handles the transition (unless it's a short term offer)

Old
02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He has to play a game this season for his ELC to be honored. If he does not lace them up for the Preds this season he will still be bound by the same year on his ELC next season.

IF he is able to come back after the deadline and IF he does just that (I'll just assume DP would not risk bringing him over unless he has been assured that Rads is exempt from waivers) I would imagine Poile would like to begin initial discussions of a new deal ASAP. He would be foolish to actually put an offer on the table before he sees how Radulov handles the transition (unless it's a short term offer)
I agree offering rads a long term deal (say 5x5) seems risky but it may be what Poile has to do if he wants rads here.

The thing i realized, however, is that its not as great a risk because if rads truly sucks here I suspect he would go back to Russia and play (getting us off the hook for his money) rather than go to milwaukee, which would happen if we waived him and no one claimed him...

Old
02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I agree offering rads a long term deal (say 5x5) seems risky but it may be what Poile has to do if he wants rads here.

The thing i realized, however, is that its not as great a risk because if rads truly sucks here I suspect he would go back to Russia and play (getting us off the hook for his money) rather than go to milwaukee, which would happen if we waived him and no one claimed him...
a few games after his KHL team is eliminated hardly is a big enough sample to determine if he "sucks". bringing him back would mean we would not waive him(why pay the guy all of the money he is due for a couple of games and let him be a UFA). and there is no way some other team(even out of the playoffs) would not claim him if only to have exclusive negotionating rights for while.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:59 AM
token grinder

they could just lift his suspenson and call him a scratch. would be no different than any other permascratch. his contract would be reinstated. he would be paid. his year would accrue.

Old
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Saw this on Bob Mckenzies twitter"@reporterchris: KHL Pres Medvedev says A Radulov has 1 yr on contract in RUS and no out clause." Alex always has an out clause. Ask NSH.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Saw this on Bob Mckenzies twitter"@reporterchris: KHL Pres Medvedev says A Radulov has 1 yr on contract in RUS and no out clause." Alex always has an out clause. Ask NSH.
If he really doesn't have an out clause we can forget seeing him next year. I'm sure they will threaten to keep him off the olympic team in 14 if he leaves early

Old
02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
If he really doesn't have an out clause we can forget seeing him next year. I'm sure they will threaten to keep him off the olympic team in 14 if he leaves early
yepp.... ready for this to be over.. tired of the drivel and pointless speculation. BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT ..

Old
02-17-2012, 09:00 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Why would he come back in the fall, when he has to play the entire season under his ELC, when he could come back in the spring and get rid of his ELC by only playing a few games?

Quote:
Poop. You're so right. Ugggh.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Why would he come back in the fall, when he has to play the entire season under his ELC, when he could come back in the spring and get rid of his ELC by only playing a few games?

Poop. You're so right. Ugggh.
Well you are going under the assumption that he's even allowed to come back in the spring. You are also assuming that his team doesn't go far in the playoffs and assuming he doesn't want to play in the WC. Not to mention there's no guarantee he has to play out his ELC in the fall. See token grinder's post, and the Semin situation a few years ago. You are also assuming he simply wants to come back period.

All I know is this Radulov situation gets more and more entertaining everyday. Love it.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:52 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
In Soviet Russia, contract sign you!
Sounds like Yakov Smirnoff!

Old
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
WartracePred

I've been watching the official KHL site trying to determine the earliest possible end of Rads season/post season. Their regular season ends Sunday.

With three games remaining in the regular season, Salavat is 2nd in the conference and cannot catch the first place team. Salavat is only 1 point ahead of Avangard within their division. If Avangard jumps ahead of Salavat, Radulov's team could fall to 4th or 5th in the conference. I assume finishing 2nd means home ice and an easier opponent. 5th place or lower means travel and tougher opponents.

http://en.khl.ru/standings/

Salavat and Avangard play each other Friday which could very well determine their division and home ice heading into the playoffs next week.

Last year, teams played consecutive nights during the first round of the playoffs, and every other night in the second round. That's a pretty grueling schedule.

So if all the stars align, it's not inconceivable the Radulov's season in the KHL could be over by the first week of March. By then, the NHL trade deadline will have passed (and probably without significant offensive upgrades) and we can naively yearn for the Prodigal son's return this season.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The NHL may be keeping all players out of the Olympics in 2014. Radulov has to know that is a risk he will be taking upon returning. That might make the idea that he will be kept off of Team Russia if he returns to the NHL before the end of the next KHL season less of a potential hurdle.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Russian Spy

Radulov speaks off to SovExpress reporter, just appeared on a sport.ru 45min ago (one of the biggest Russian sport community)

raw translation:

"All i think about these days is Gagarin Cup play-offs.We have all the chances to repeat last year's succes (Salavat is GC champion)

(But) When the season's over we're gonna sit and talk with my both agents Yuri Nikolaev(KHL agent) and Jay Grossman (NA agent), we're gonna discuss different options. (still he has 1 year more contract with Ufa, but he said earlier he has a vocal agreement with GM of SY Oleg Gross so he CAN come to NA next season)

next he said: "Yes Nashville is trying hard to get me" That's what's he said but in a street-gang way, used some non-literature word.

"If we to look back, 4 years ago it was not nice from me to leave like this, but i've never said i'm burning any bridges"...

"I'm not ready yet to tell you what chances are 50/50 or 40/60.."

And the most interesting..

"I'm 26 years old(he means still young), i have won everything by this side of the pond (Gagarin Cup, World Championships, MVP KHL play-offs..etc.) but to be honest i often think that i don't have such a glorious trophy in my collection - Stanley Cup.I was 2 times in a first round of SC play-offs and both times we've lost.It's not good"

here his most recent interview sorry for my average English, imho Radu is coming back to you guys.Cheers)

Old
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Spy View Post
Radulov speaks off to SovExpress reporter, just appeared on a sport.ru 45min ago (one of the biggest Russian sport community)

raw translation:

"All i think about these days is Gagarin Cup play-offs.We have all the chances to repeat last year's succes (Salavat is GC champion)

(But) When the season's over we're gonna sit and talk with my both agents Yuri Nikolaev(KHL agent) and Jay Grossman (NA agent), we're gonna discuss different options. (still he has 1 year more contract with Ufa, but he said earlier he has a vocal agreement with GM of SY Oleg Gross so he CAN come to NA next season)

next he said: "Yes Nashville is trying hard to get me" That's what's he said but in a street-gang way, used some non-literature word.

"If we to look back, 4 years ago it was not nice from me to leave like this, but i've never said i'm burning any bridges"...

"I'm not ready yet to tell you what chances are 50/50 or 40/60.."

And the most interesting..

"I'm 26 years old(he means still young), i have won everything by this side of the pond (Gagarin Cup, World Championships, MVP KHL play-offs..etc.) but to be honest i often think that i don't have such a glorious trophy in my collection - Stanley Cup.I was 2 times in a first round of SC play-offs and both times we've lost.It's not good"

here his most recent interview sorry for my average English, imho Radu is coming back to you guys.Cheers)
Thank you very much for the translation. I hope he does come back, big time!

Old
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Russian Spy

Your welcome!

One thing i would like to add: I've been reading these boards for a while and i often read how Radu is being a money-loving greedy boy, and so he's not a competitor and he hasn't got heart and so on

it's all not true at all.

This guy is a pure energy ball, i've been watching hockey for 20 years, i don't claim to be some pro hockey analyser but this guy has the winning mentality many lacks.He has huge heart on ice, every given night for every team, be it Team Russia or Salavat he's giving it all on the ice, yep he's crazy boy, he's too emotional for someone he's provocateur, but it's just makes him better he is what he is, he's one of the most determined hockey player i've ever seen live on ice, he's everywhere, all over the ice, he can do magic with any teammate on the any line, he does it all, assists, shooting, solo breaks to the net past any defender, he has everything.And most of all his winning mentality, he's on ice to win no matter what the play is in which league or cup.

as about his departure to KHL, you've got to know that this guy came from the very depresive area of Russia, Nigniy Tagil is a city where he was born, some small industrial gloomy hole near the Ural Mountains, he lived in a very limited conditions he doesn't had much opportunity like kids from big kinda wealthy cities like Moscow, St.Petersburg or even Ufa.He earned his money in Ufa these 4 years he earned it with passion and hard-work he wasn't here like some ex-NHLrs getting money and being lazy.He did everything.Salavat's last year Cup run was amazing, and Radu was great part of it.Now he has his parents and himself assured that they won't ever live in the same condition like they did in Tagil.He made his future bright financialy and he earned it well.Now i just wish this guy would back to NHL win SC and win Olympics be it 2014 or 2018 this guy is easily one of the brightest spot in Russian hockey after depressive 90s.Not Ovechkin or Semin imho they are great players but not winners and this guy is a winner he will make it all real can't wait to see him in NHL, cheers=)

Old
02-21-2012, 08:54 PM
wadesworld

If I'm Radulov, I call David Poile the moment the KHL playoffs are over and say:

"If you'll let me play one game to fulfill my ELC, I'll sign with Nashville for 4 years, 5 million per."

Of course the only issue is, the folks in Russia may have different methods of preventing their stars from breaking contracts.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I wouldn't be so quick to give him a four year deal worth $5m each. I'm ok with the $5m figure, but if Poile is going to offer a contract before he sees how Radulov transitions back into the NHL it would be better for it to be 2 years.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

His agent is Grossman? Crap. I thought I was done hearing about that guy (Kovy's agent)

Old
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
His agent is Grossman? Crap. I thought I was done hearing about that guy (Kovy's agent)
Grossman is also Pekka's agent, and that seemed to go smoothly--albeit that could be because we were willing to give him a gigantic contract.

Dmitri Chesnokov opined after Medvedev's comments that while true there's no such thing as an "out clause" in the KHL, gentlemans/handshake deals are common, and most everyone in Russia know that not only does Radulov have one, that most believe he's going to use it.

Closed Thread