HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

knees, knees, knees

Old
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
dimi19

vCash: 500
knees, knees, knees

it would have been amazing to watch a bure career if it weren't tragically ended by bothersome knee injuries, and even during his early years in the mid 90s, the knee injuries that he was able to comeback from slowed him down a bit as well

similarly kovalev as well, i think his career would have been much more consistent (which was what he always gets knocked for) if it weren't for his knee injuries as well

wonder if many years from now the development of medicine will lead to some discoveries into how to regenerate knees to full functionality after such things as acl tears, etc

whenever healthy, bure scored 58-60 goals, in the trap era of the 90s no less, i always wish it would have been possible to see him that way for 10-15 healthy years

gretzky's back as well to a certain extent, he was never quite the same after that crosscheck, i guess if i mention this, then many, many other injuries can be mentioned as well

but mainly, i've always been really, really sad about bure, it was so cool when he came to the rangers, i was able to watch him every night, but then had to retire WAY too early

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
timekeep

First person that comes to mind is Orr when it comes to knee injuries.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:48 AM
dimi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
yeah, for sure, i don't quite know too much about how Orr's career ended, obviously one of the best players ever,

interesting story, i was at open hockey a few weeks ago, there's this guy who always comes to play, he is around 60 or 65, great skater tho, very, very good hockey sense, not what you would expect from someone that age, he is from the new england area, so he grew up following the bruins, him and i got into a discussion about some of the greats of the game, and from his point of view, he said that he thought that Orr was better than Gretzky, that actually Orr was the best he'd ever seen play, which obviously is not THAT crazy of a statement, i mean, Orr is definitely among the greats, but it's interesting to run into someone who has seen it all and say that he thinks Orr is the best ever

Old
02-19-2012, 02:55 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
I believe Teemu Selšnne had awful knees in the years before the lockout.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:00 AM
dimi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
I believe Teemu Selšnne had awful knees in the years before the lockout.
yeah i remember reading somewhere on hfboards that the lockout break time actually aided greatly in allowing selanne's knee issues to heal properly without him having to rush back too soon

Old
02-19-2012, 03:58 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
yeah i remember reading somewhere on hfboards that the lockout break time actually aided greatly in allowing selanne's knee issues to heal properly without him having to rush back too soon
He had some sort of reconstructive (?) knee surgery during the lockout year.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:59 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
He had reconstructive knee surgery during the lockout.

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I've blown out both of my knees as has my father and when we were at the Hockey Hall of Fame one of the things that most blew our minds was seeing Bobby Orr's knee braces. Those "braces" were so woefully in adequate that I could make a more effective one out of an Ace Bandage and some scotch tape. Even forgetting the vast improvements in arthroscopic knee reconstruction, if Orr could have used the modern custom molded carbon fiber braces that are available today, its incredible to think what he could have done.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Sens Rule

I have been listening to some podcasts about future medicine. They are developing the ability to regrow your own knee tissue or other legiments. You might need your own stem cells to do this... however possibility of using donor stem cells. It will be interesting to see how the next decade or two play out. Athletes will get the treatment among the earliest in all likelihood.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Gord Kluzak... one the the NHL's biggest "what ifs", solely due to knee problems that started in Jr.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Lafleur was never the same after his knee injury in the 1980 playoffs. There were other factors in his decline, but that was the first one.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Cam Neely as well. I hate Ulf Samuelsson.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
BobbyAwe

Dickie Moore...Brad Park

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I firmly believe that if Orr's knees were healthy he would have played 5-8 years longer, have 800 more points (including healthy seasons), won 1-2 more Art Ross, won 2-3 more cups and go down as the undisputed greatest player ever.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I firmly believe that if Orr's knees were healthy he would have played 5-8 years longer, have 800 more points (including healthy seasons), won 1-2 more Art Ross, won 2-3 more cups and go down as the undisputed greatest player ever.
Completely agree, if only he had access to the technology we have now. The other guy that comes to mind is Joe Namath, I know Joe is not a hockey player but Orr would have been bigger than him, if he isn't already.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote