HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney Needs Your Help

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Tom Renney Needs Your Help

Which coach is the frontrunner for the Jack Adams award?

vote now at NHL.com

Old
01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
TheZherdev

How does Murray even get on the poll. Even i could get Sens to the playoffs if i were coach. Its not hard to coach an all star team.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
How does Murray even get on the poll. Even i could get Sens to the playoffs if i were coach. Its not hard to coach an all star team.

yea it is, look at the old rangers, we have had all star teams the past 3 years.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea it is, look at the old rangers, we have had all star teams the past 3 years.
They were all FORMER allstars. Ottawa arguably has a first ballot All-Star first line in:
Alfresson-Heatley-Spezza
Redden-Chara
Hasek.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I dont think its hard to coach the Sens, they have great players who will be first ballot all stars, AND they have top young players on there defense in Volchenkov, Mezaros, etc.

I think Laviolette deserves to be out in front. But Renney should easily be second.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:18 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
I dont think its hard to coach the Sens, they have great players who will be first ballot all stars, AND they have top young players on there defense in Volchenkov, Mezaros, etc.

I think Laviolette deserves to be out in front. But Renney should easily be second.

If the Islanders gave Laviolette a chance they would be good. When he was available, I was hoping for Sather to hire him. Renney is doing a good job.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I would say that Lindy Ruff, up in Buffalo, is the clear cut choice. I don't know, I'm jusy more surprised by the success of Buffalo than by that of Carolina. Renney should be up there, but I'd rather criticize him than give him praise

Old
01-23-2006, 12:35 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
They were all FORMER allstars. Ottawa arguably has a first ballot All-Star first line in:
Alfresson-Heatley-Spezza
Redden-Chara
Hasek.
I'd argue Hasek is old enough that he would be considered past his prime if you just look at his age. That was the problem with the Rangers of old, they'd sign players who were great in their prime, but over the hill by the time they signed him. That being said, Hasek is still a great goalie (great goalies usually don't have their skills decline that much as they get older... Roy probably could have played a few more years past what he played, his stats kept getting better over his career).

Old
01-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Fletch

Agree on Ruff...

Renney's done a fine job, but he's not the reason why the Rangers have the league's leading scorer in Jagr, which does help. I think also people can't really look at the Rangers of the past 7 seasons and judge Renney in that light. There are only a couple players from those seasons on this roster currently. There was a year lost. It's pretty much a clean slate. Heck, Lou Lams has done a great job turning his team around and should be considered too, if the Devils continue their upward surge.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Heck, Lou Lams has done a great job turning his team around and should be considered too, if the Devils continue their upward surge.
I agree. Interesting too see MacLean's involvement on the Devil bench though. I think it was JD who mentioned he may be "being groomed" for the job.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:32 AM
bathgate

The Rangers and Hurricanes are the surprise teams of the year. THerefore, one these coaches deserve the honor. Many picked the Devs as preseason contenders. Thus, Lou does not deserve the award. One final thought. Renney, please note at home you have the ability to match lines. Please use it to your advantage

Old
01-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Fletch

bathgate...

I think everybody needs to throw away any preseason thinking. Most teams had significant roster changes, and all teams didn't play last season. Further, all teams have needed time to adjust to new rules and get into game shape. It's quite difficult to predict where teams would end up. Heck, who would've thought that Ian Lapperiere would've bested his season points total by mid-season; ditto Mickael Samuelsson. That said, Renney's in the running, as should be Ruff. If Ottawa does win the President's trophy, it may be tough to exclude them. Lou Lams I'd consider only because of where the Devils were when he took over - I could care less about expectations, especially since the team that was picked to go somewhere has changed somewhat since that pick. And there are a few others who deserved consideration at this point. There's still some hockey left, so we'll see where this one goes.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727

You can't evaluate the job Murray does/has done until the playoffs. They hired him to get them to the Cup and win it. Otherwise, Murray's done about as much as Martin has/did.

01-23-2006, 09:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Tom Renney
Lindy Ruff
Peter Laviolette

One of them will win the Jack Adams

The Rangers and Canes were picked for dead last in the east and Buffalo was considered a non-playoff team

The Rangers,Canes and Sabres are 3 out of the 5 top teams in the east

Old
01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
bathgate

Fletch: I hear what you are saying.If you go back and read my first posts in August and September,I did say that the Rangers could start off well due to the Hartford and Czech contingents and surprise. Nevertheless, when the so-called experts pick the Rangers dead last, Renney deserves loads of consideration as does Peter L.Coach of year, imo, goes to the coach who exceeds expectations.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Fletch

That I agree with...

I guess I don't give much credence so so-called experts.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
If Ottawa does win the President's trophy, it may be tough to exclude them.

I don't think that gets that much consideration, to be honest. I don't remember either Nileson or Keenan getting consideration for the Adams trophy when the Rangers won the President's Trophy. And, neither of those teams were as highly regarded as Ottawa was this preseason.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Fletch

Keenan, I believe...

wasn't even in the top 3. But of course my opinion and reality of two different things. I think he should be considered if Ottawa wins the President's Trophy - not win, but I think it's tough to exclude the coach of the regular season's best team from the Jack Adams. I thought Keenan not being considered after what was, I believe, the largest point swing ever, was wrong, so my thinking's different than the people who vote. There's a bunch of coaches who have seemed to have done well, and there's going to be a lot of disgruntled fans in the end if this keeps up.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Davisian

I can't be the only HF parent who got a Dora the Explorer vibe from this thread title..

Garden... Frozen Pond... JackAdams MOUNTAIN!

Old
01-23-2006, 11:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
I can't be the only HF parent who got a Dora the Explorer vibe from this thread title..

Garden... Frozen Pond... JackAdams MOUNTAIN!
Considering my children are 22 and 17 respectively, it would creepy if I got the same vibe.

Closed Thread