HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I haven't looked myself, but BC16 says Bryz came in with 25 extra pounds of muscle or something like that...because he was told to bulk up. 1) that explains his lack of quickness 2) What the HELL. Why would they do that?
wait, wat

Old
02-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, they figured if he gets the money DiPietro does, at least he's not going to get knocked out by a Penguin

edit: In all seriousness, though, if that really does explain much of the bad play he's showing, people should back off with the derogatory comments. I'm not saying his play shouldn't be criticized, but I honestly do think he's trying his best and giving it his all, it's just not working for him (and us) this year.
I was willing to give him another season before BC16 posted that, just in case this was just a horrendous fluke. Now I'm really willing. I mean, hell, look at him on 24/7 wearing a button down shirt. His shoulders are huge; he looks like one of the biggest guys on the team. It really struck me back then, because I wasn't sure why he needed to be jacked.

02-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
wait, wat
BobbyClarke16 posted that he came into camp with a boatload of extra weight. Now, as a disclaimer, I've done nothing to look into this myself. I've been busy playing MW3. But...yeah.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
I was willing to give him another season before BC16 posted that, just in case this was just a horrendous fluke. Now I'm really willing. I mean, hell, look at him on 24/7 wearing a button down shirt. His shoulders are huge; he looks like one of the biggest guys on the team. It really struck me back then, because I wasn't sure why he needed to be jacked.
It's always poignant to me to see how goalies are so lanky in shorts and a t-shirt, when they look so big in all those pads.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He bulked up. It wasn't fat, but he put on too much muscle. I'm surprised you didn't hear about this. He checked into camp at 225 pounds when his normal playing weight is 190 to 195 pounds.

From what I heard, Bryzgalov was informed that he needed to put on weight and that it was McCrossin who told him to put on weight. From what I've also heard, McCrossin is experiencing some serious heat from upper management for telling Bryzgalov to put on weight. So, Bryzgalov won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Next season when he shows up at 195, I think that will be the time to judge Bryzgalov by what he can do. That extra 30 he put on has limited his lateral movement and his positioning has been off because of the extra weight he's added. Just watch the man play. You can tell that his game is completely off and that he hasn't adjusted to the extra weight.
Quoting for reference

Old
02-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Ryker

Alright, well, BC16 said he added 25 lbs or something like that, and I guess even if he didn't get fat, it wasn't 25 lbs of muscle. But in any case, it doesn't matter what it is, just wanted to point that out so that this doesn't turn out to get interpreted as him winning Mr. Olympia prior to the start of the season

But I haven't watched the show (yet), so I can't really comment on him looking jacked in a button down shirt. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can comment on whether this extra weight can really have a significant impact, even if it is mostly added muscle.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

It would reduce quickness, yes.

He'd be really good at cow-tipping, though

Old
02-22-2012, 03:09 AM
StandingCow

Well, if that is really the case... I feel bad that we have been giving him so much crap. What the hell was McCrossin thinking?

Old
02-22-2012, 03:21 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Just another chapter to this saga. It'd be so easy if it was all on the goaltender, but it involved the owner, GM, coach, defense, forwards, and other goaltender as well. Oh, now the trainer too! Spectacular

Old
02-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
BOB hasn't sucked this year? He's been pretty bad the past month (I feel the numbers are a bit inflated due to no support given to him during the NJ and NYR games) but that certainly doesn't mean he has sucked the entire year.

In fact up until the NJ game, he had two games in which he gave up 4 or more goals. (both against Winnipeg) He now has 5 in 24 GPI.

Bryz has 8 in his first 24 GPI (to match the BOB's total GPI) and he has and additional 7 out of the rest of the games he has played in.

15 games this loser has allowed four or more goals in and I guarantee you none of those games the 5 skaters performed as badly in front of him as they did when they hung BOB out to dry against NJ and NYR this past month.
Don't get me wrong I am not defending Bryz's play he certainly has not been good over the course of this season.

Bob has started 20 games, in those 20 games he allowed at least 4 goals in 5 games. In other words 75% of the time he gives quality start or better.
Bryz has started 39 games, in those 39 games he has allowed at least 4 goals in 14 games. In other words 64% of the time he gives a quality start or better.

Bob has started 20 games, in those 20 games he has had a save percentage below .900 in 8 of those games. Or percentage wise only 60% of his starts were quality or better.
Bryz has started 39 games, in those 39 games he has had a save percentage below .900 in 19 of those games. Or percentage wise 51% of the time he gives a quality start or better.

IMO save percentage is a better way of evaluating, but ether way while Bob is better in both areas as far as consistency goes those certainly aren't good numbers.

But lets go a step further and bring the opponents offensive rank. Many people say Bob has faced an easier schedule.

Bob
1x Detroit - 5 (3.02)
1x Pittsburgh - 6 (2.98)
2x Toronto - 7 (2.97)
1x Ottawa - 8 (2.95)
3x New York (R) - 12 (2.72)
2x New Jersey - 13 (2.72)
2x Carolina - 16 (2.63)
2x Montreal - 17 (2.57)
1x Dallas - 20 (2.52)
2x Winnipeg - 22 (2.47)
1x Florida - 23 (2.43)
2x New York (I) - 28 (2.27)

Average Opponent Goals Per Game: 2.662

Bryz
3x Boston - 2 (3.21)
1x Vancouver - 3 (3.15)
1x Chicago - 4 (3.07)
2x Pittsburgh - 6 (2.98)
2x Ottawa - 8 (2.95)
3x Tampa Bay - 10 (2.78)
2x Nashville - 11 (2.75)
2x New York (R) - 12 (2.72)
2x New Jersey - 13 (2.68)
2x Washington - 14 (2.68)
2x Carolina - 16 (2.63)
1x Montreal - 17 (2.57)
2x Phoenix - 18 (2.57)
1x Anaheim - 19 (2.53)
1x St. Louis - 21 (2.51)
2x Winnipeg - 22 (2.47)
1x Florida - 23 (2.43)
3x Buffalo - 24 (2.42)
1x Colorado - 25 (2.40)
1x Columbus - 27 (2.32)
2x New York (I) - 28 (2.27)
1x Minnesota - 29 (2.14)
1x Los Angeles 30 (2.07)

Average Opponent Goals Per Game: 2.662

As it turns out Bryz and Bob's opponents offensive ranks average out to be the exact same. As seen Bryz has faced the better ranked offenses but he has also seen the NHL's worst offenses evening it out where Bob has really not seen to many terrible offenses but hasn't faced nearly as many strong offenses.

We can take it one more step. As far as the plays in front of them goes defensively. While I can't get a completely accurate way of measuring this we can simply go by average shots each goalie faces.

Bob: 562 shots in 20 games averages 28.1 shots against per game.
Bryz: 1055 shots in 39 games averages 27.1 shots against per game.

Not really crazy high for ether guy. Though this does not factor in stats where one guy relieved the other shot wise this is just based on starts, these numbers would have both goalies in the top 5 average for fewest shots faced. But of course I am sure many of us will agree the defense is prone to giving up some very good scoring chances.

What you can take from this is Bob is having a better season then Bryz (not by a lot) but when you look at Bob's numbers especially quality starts I see no reason to get excited over his season. If Bob was doing something special I would be all in favor of him being the starter but he has not been good. For this reason I would stick with Bryz simply because he has played at that high level before. For whatever reason now he isn't himself. I don't consider him a former system goalie because system goalies don't put up freak numbers like that year after year, plus he is missing very simple saves this year and he did not struggle with them before. So I think they should just keep working with him and running him out there and hope he gets it figured out by playoff time because if we are going to win a cup it's going to have to be on his back. Bob's a good back up but that's really it.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:36 AM
StandingCow

Personally... I am going to stop with the bryz hate. After hearing the extra weight thing, I am just giving him a pass this season.

Next season I will see if he is the real deal....

Old
02-22-2012, 03:38 AM
SolidSnakeUS

For some reason... when it comes to goaltending... I don't care anymore. Whoever plays, they play. I just hope our defense and offense come to the game prepared and ready to win.

Also the thing about Bryz bulking up, why would he bulk up that much if he wanted to still do as well as he did before? There is no point in bulking up if you were already in a fit enough state to play your current best. Rask is at 169 lbs at 6'3", and don't you think going up to about 195 would probably make his game a bit different with that added weight?

Old
02-22-2012, 03:49 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For some reason... when it comes to goaltending... I don't care anymore. Whoever plays, they play. I just hope our defense and offense come to the game prepared and ready to win.

Also the thing about Bryz bulking up, why would he bulk up that much if he wanted to still do as well as he did before? There is no point in bulking up if you were already in a fit enough state to play your current best. Rask is at 169 lbs at 6'3", and don't you think going up to about 195 would probably make his game a bit different with that added weight?
I think when you are going to a new team, and the athletic trainer tells you to do something... you kinda have to do it.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I just hope they both realize it was not the right thing to do.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:31 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, they figured if he gets the money DiPietro does, at least he's not going to get knocked out by a Penguin

edit: In all seriousness, though, if that really does explain much of the bad play he's showing, people should back off with the derogatory comments. I'm not saying his play shouldn't be criticized, but I honestly do think he's trying his best and giving it his all, it's just not working for him (and us) this year.
In all seriousness, does anyone know if he wears glasses off the ice? After seeing that fourth goal against Winnipeg, I actually think he may need contacts. Sad thing is I'm not joking. My son in peewee could have stopped that.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:36 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post

Goalies don't need to bulk up. There padding takes care of that. Most important thing is height. If anything you want to have less weight because it kills speed. Why the **** would they tell him to put on 25 pounds? That's way to much weight to adjust too in under a year. Remember when Cam Ward put on 20 pounds the year after he won the cup and his play was awful because of it. He was a little over 200 pounds or something and he dropped it too 180 and he became a better goalie because of it.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:32 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I would like to see this elusive article about bulking up.

Not that I don't trust BC16, but I noted when he first mentioned it that I don't remember seeing any article that suggested that.

While Bryz looked thicker/bigger than I expected when he finally arrived for training camp, I didn't think much of it. It's not like he looked particularly big. He still looks pretty lean and lanky, like goaltenders do.

Yeah, I want to see this article.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:48 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Not that I don't trust BC16, but I noted when he first mentioned it that I don't remember seeing any article that suggested that.

While Bryz looked thicker/bigger than I expected when he finally arrived for training camp, I didn't think much of it. It's not like he looked particularly big. He still looks pretty lean and lanky, like goaltenders do.

I attempted to google it and came up with nothing.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:02 AM
kimmofan44

bryz's post game was infantile. i loved the energy of the fans in winnipeg chanting his name, in philadelphia they just boo me. it was in the daily times this morning too. i wish he'd just stop with the interviews.

Last edited by kimmofan44: 02-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

I'm not sure there even WAS an article. I think he was talking as an insider.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:39 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Quoting for reference
Not trying to be a jerk but what are BC16's ties to the team?

02-22-2012, 07:42 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but what are BC16's ties to the team?
Bryz's husky I think... he taught it to type.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:10 AM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Personally... I am going to stop with the bryz hate. After hearing the extra weight thing, I am just giving him a pass this season.

Next season I will see if he is the real deal....
The bulk up story is a strange one. .. and if true, could go some way to explaining why he has seemed so leaden. Combining this with his obviously sensitive mental bearing.... I have faith that given an off season to clear his head and drop the extra weight, we will see a much better Bryz next season.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
BringBackStevens

Whoa whoa, people are taking BCF16 comments as fact?

Hold your horses

Old
02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I think when you are going to a new team, and the athletic trainer tells you to do something... you kinda have to do it.
I don't agree with this. He's 31 years old and has been in the league for a long enough time to know what his optimum weight is. Gaining or losing 5 pounds is one thing but he's way too heavy.

Closed Thread