HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Ribeiro back in Montreal?

Old
02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro back in Montreal?

"... Mike Ribeiro a confié, quelques heures avant le duel entre les Stars et le Canadien, qu'il aimeraient bien revenir jouer à Montréal."

This is from an article in 985sports.ca ( http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...en-126452.html )

Translation: "M R confided, a few hours before the duel between the Stars and the Canadiens, that he'd like to come back and play in Montreal."

Ribeiro - 32 years old, 6 ft 177 lbs, $5 mil contract.

Great one for one replacement for Gomez if on a two or three year contract at the same price. The thing is Gomez's contract has to be disposed (bought out? AHL? traded?, etc.)

I wouldn't be averse to the idea. It might, in a way, correct an error made by the Canadiens several years ago.

But, then again, it might just be a 'nice thing to say' to the interviewer.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Must be boring the nightlife in Dallas

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
BobbyFischer*

and Dallas trades Ribeiro.... why? and for Gomez?

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Cupmonger

NIINIMAA!!! Stars owe us, we should send some ****** player in return. But which one?
On a serious note, I would take him.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Ribs is ok but too much of what we already have at C (small and not that physical playmaking centers). Desharnais is pretty much like a mini Ribs.

We need a guy with size who can play physical and create space to complement our other centers and mix things up a bit. Doesn't need to be a star like Getzlaf but a 55-65pts guy with the attributes i mentionned above would do for now.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He can stay there, he looked stoned last night during the game. He would be a more expensive version of Desharnais.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

A Quebec born player really said what Quebec medias wanted to hear ?! Shocking !

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I hate Mike Ribeiro. He represents what we should be getting away from and can stay where he is.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:38 AM
WestIslander

I would not bring him back, he doesn't fit into our future in my opinion and I think that we need to build this team around hard working youth and the core that we already have, the last think I want is to have Ribeiro take Price and Subban under his wing and start the whole partying thing again.

Thanks but not thanks Mike!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Maxpac

If we were ever to trade Desharnais, fine. But if it's to replace Plekanec, heck no. We need somebody bigger for our 1st line.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I hate Mike Ribeiro. He represents what we should be getting away from and can stay where he is.
I wasn't his biggest fan either, but what a ****ing terrible trade that was. Attitude problems, Ribeiro, Grabovski and Kostitsyn all seem to have been put in place by other hockey people in the league, but the Habs weren't able and got junk back for them while those guys are top players on their team

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
and Dallas trades Ribeiro.... why? and for Gomez?
Issues with your reading comprehension much? Go back and re-read the OP so you don't make such a fool of yourself.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I wasn't his biggest fan either, but what a ****ing terrible trade that was. Attitude problems, Ribeiro, Grabovski and Kostitsyn all seem to have been put in place by other hockey people in the league, but the Habs weren't able and got junk back for them while those guys are top players on their team
When we dumped him (and we did just basically dump him) it was the only time I can remember not feeling bad about getting something of value in return. I just couldn't wait to be rid of the guy.

We talk a lot about building a new culture... a winning culture. Well step one is to get rid of guys like this. Terrible attitude, cocky, arrogant... awful. That ridiculous display against the Bruins years ago where he faked the injury and then smiled and laughed on the bench was an absolute embarassment.

When I think back on the horrible decade of the 00s, Mike Ribeiro symbolizes all the futility and failure. Another small guy with a terrible attitude and no heart. To this day I still don't care that we didn't get a return on this guy. And last night's pathetic display just reinforced that he remains an immature, cocky little pipsqueak.

Good riddance.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:53 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
"... Mike Ribeiro a confié, quelques heures avant le duel entre les Stars et le Canadien, qu'il aimeraient bien revenir jouer à Montréal."

This is from an article in 985sports.ca ( http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...en-126452.html )

Translation: "M R confided, a few hours before the duel between the Stars and the Canadiens, that he'd like to come back and play in Montreal."

Ribeiro - 32 years old, 6 ft 177 lbs, $5 mil contract.

Great one for one replacement for Gomez if on a two or three year contract at the same price. The thing is Gomez's contract has to be disposed (bought out? AHL? traded?, etc.)

I wouldn't be averse to the idea. It might, in a way, correct an error made by the Canadiens several years ago.

But, then again, it might just be a 'nice thing to say' to the interviewer.
We got rid of Riberio once because he never had any class. Remember the fake injury in playoffs against Boston? Why bring him back...just be going in circles

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Issues with your reading comprehension much? Go back and re-read the OP so you don't make such a fool of yourself.
Oh, my.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe you missed his arrest last year and Dallas trying to dump him(unsuccessfully) to re-sign Richards.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
coolasprICE

I'd only want Ribs back if we can reunite him with his boyfriend, Jose Theodore... #sarcasm

What snot balls

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:06 AM
MXD

Why Montreal do this?

I mean... terrific offensive player, but if you can't get something for Plekanec or Desharnais, what's the point?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:24 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Oh, my.

Just saying, it would not be a trade but when he is a UFA so no Gomez for Ribeiro only a fool for a GM would make that move lol.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
What part of we need a "Big Center" don't people understand some one that can take the heat off of Plekanec and Desharnais,two hard working small centers that by seasons end are exhausted.Any of the top four forwards this draft can be converted to center,two already are centers,the other two,Yakupov is small and will go 1st anyway Forsberg can play center and probably go 3rd.The Flu Bug has helped for those of us wanting a tank,we might need more than that to pick that low. Guess what I want?

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Lol, he's a good player but Mikey can go **** himself.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
We got rid of Riberio once because he never had any class. Remember the fake injury in playoffs against Boston? Why bring him back...just be going in circles
That classless act stopped an odd-man rush going the other way.
Yeah, it was embarassing to watch.
He did what he had to to win. I rather that than someone who doesn't do everything in their power to ensure victory.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I love the guy. He was my favorite player back in the days, despite his faking. I was at the Bell Centre when they announced the trade and remember people being happy which was ridiculous since we got absolutely nothing back.

Now, I wouldn't mind him back but with Desharnais and Plekanec already, there's no place for another 60 pts centre.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
When we dumped him (and we did just basically dump him) it was the only time I can remember not feeling bad about getting something of value in return. I just couldn't wait to be rid of the guy.

We talk a lot about building a new culture... a winning culture. Well step one is to get rid of guys like this. Terrible attitude, cocky, arrogant... awful. That ridiculous display against the Bruins years ago where he faked the injury and then smiled and laughed on the bench was an absolute embarassment.

When I think back on the horrible decade of the 00s, Mike Ribeiro symbolizes all the futility and failure. Another small guy with a terrible attitude and no heart. To this day I still don't care that we didn't get a return on this guy. And last night's pathetic display just reinforced that he remains an immature, cocky little pipsqueak.

Good riddance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I was a big fan of his until this

When he did that....boy did I just want him gone. And I couldn't agree more with Lafleurs Guy

Last edited by Halifaxhab: 02-25-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
llamateizer

too old at 32
wanted him 27-30

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote