HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers talking contract with Brandon Prust

Old
02-22-2012, 03:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers talking contract with Brandon Prust

Quote:
The Rangers are initiating talks with representatives for impending free agent Brandon Prust to extend his contract and thus prevent the winger from going on the open market July 1, The Post has learned.

Prust, who will turn 28 next month, is on the final season of a two-year deal under which he is earning $800,000 per season.

Fedotenko, Martin Biron, Steve Eminger, John Mitchell and Jeff Woywitka are the other impending unrestricted free agents on the NHL roster.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1n6SGml9g

Prust is a Newport Sports client. He loves NY. Prust shouldn't be a break the bank signing. $1.4M-$1.5m per. 2-3 year contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:03 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Good. Like I said, we want Prust and he wants us. Shouldn't be too hard to make everybody happy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Calad
Section 422

3 years 4 mill

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rupp got 3 years/$4.5M

The Rangers should compliance buyout Rupp when the new CBA is negotiated.

Prust will receive something very similar.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:49 AM
darko

Good. We need guys like Pruster.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Why should the Rangers compliance buyout Rupp? He averages 6:49 in ice time, and manages to make simple plays without looking out of place. He's a 4th liner, has 9 fights, and is a plus player. Unlike Orr and Boogaard, he's a heavy who can actually take a normal shift, and be plugged in and out of the lineup as needed. I don't know what you think he should be doing that he isn't...

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Why should the Rangers compliance buyout Rupp? He averages 6:49 in ice time, and manages to make simple plays without looking out of place. He's a 4th liner, has 9 fights, and is a plus player. Unlike Orr and Boogaard, he's a heavy who can actually take a normal shift, and be plugged in and out of the lineup as needed. I don't know what you think he should be doing that he isn't...
Seriously, it's like people think Rupp is supposed to be a 2nd liner or some thing. He is what he is, a 4th liner that can take a regular shift.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Compliance buyout Rupp because the Rangers will need every penny of cap space in the new CBA. He looks slower than he did with Pittsburgh. He had knee surgery earlier this season. The Rangers buy him out. What is he going to look like in 13-14 which is the last year of the contract? It won't count against the cap. Instead of Rupp playing out his contract in the AHL(that's if the next CBA allows teams to dump money in the AHL),buy him out and free up the money.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:07 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Rupp got 3 years/$4.5M

The Rangers should compliance buyout Rupp when the new CBA is negotiated.

Prust will receive something very similar.
Rupp can most likely be dealt for something (lowerpick/mid prospect/AHLer) in a year. No need for using a buyout on him imo - if at all...
Drurys hit next year might be bought out
Or Redden maybe?
All comes down to the CBA...
Prust 3 years at 4,2 - 4,5 M sounds right

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Compliance buyout Rupp because the Rangers will need every penny of cap space in the new CBA. He looks slower than he did with Pittsburgh. He had knee surgery earlier this season. The Rangers buy him out. What is he going to look like in 13-14 which is the last year of the contract? It won't count against the cap. Instead of Rupp playing out his contract in the AHL(that's if the next CBA allows teams to dump money in the AHL),buy him out and free up the money.
I understand an appreciate that you know the CBA very well, but what makes you think that cap-limit (read: large market) teams are going to allow themselves to be punished for spending to the cap in the new CBA? I could maybe see a cap freeze for a few years, but there's no way the cap goes down IMO. Also, there are much easier targets than Rupp, who actually serve a clearly defined role on this team. Rupp does his job, and not poorly either. NYR will not buy him out. His $1.5M is a drop in the bucket.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Rupp can most likely be dealt for something (lowerpick/mid prospect/AHLer) in a year. No need for using a buyout on him imo - if at all...
Drurys hit next year might be bought out
Or Redden maybe?
All comes down to the CBA...
Prust 3 years at 4,2 - 4,5 M sounds right
If you can trade Rupp,go ahead.

Drury's cap hit might not count depending upon the CBA. The current CBA does not count the previous CBA's buyouts. If you bought out a player in the 1995 CBA,it doesn't count in the 2005 CBA. They could give every team a clean slate. Also,the Islanders shouldn't use Yashin's buyout to help them reach the floor. Wang is responsible for the buyout but it shouldn't count in the new CBA.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:31 AM
GloveSave35

Great news. Might just have to go get that Prust jersey now.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I understand an appreciate that you know the CBA very well, but what makes you think that cap-limit (read: large market) teams are going to allow themselves to be punished for spending to the cap in the new CBA? I could maybe see a cap freeze for a few years, but there's no way the cap goes down IMO. Also, there are much easier targets than Rupp, who actually serve a clearly defined role on this team. Rupp does his job, and not poorly either. NYR will not buy him out. His $1.5M is a drop in the bucket.
Rupp is overpaid for what he does. The Rangers had bigger plans for Rupp when they signed him

Quote:
"I can move Rupp up and down the line," explained the coach, "in various positions. He'll bounce guys around and fight for his teammates. Mike is one real, good team player."
http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...part-2-1.71787

Rupp is a 4th liner with 2 more years of his contract.

Great guy. That's about it. He is not capable of playing on the 3rd line. The Rangers thought they were getting a more capable player. He looks like a diminished player.

The cap isn't going up with the players taking a % cut. Bettman will fight to the death to keep his hard cap and keep the link between the cap and revenue %. The Rangers have a boatload of players to re-sign. Instead of doing the same song and dance with the AHL,buy Rupp out. He can hook on with another team. The Rangers free up the money. It won't count against the cap. This team should have bought Wolski and Avery out for 1/3. Both of those players sucked out too much money for nothing. Avery has essentially been Georges Laraqued. He receives his salary and never plays. Avery hasn't been banished like Laraque was but he is a healthy scratch in the AHL. Wolski can't get into the line-up. They would rather play a D at wing instead of Wolski.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Awesome..3 year deal,ill even say 4..im all for it! Get it done.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Vitto79

yep lets sign Prust same deal as Rupp and then Resign Biron for two more yrs at a slight raise

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:52 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Any cap hit over what Rupp is making and that's a terrible deal for NYR.

I'm hoping for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 years $1.2 cap hit.

Don't see any reason why the Rangers should be buying out Rupp, they can diminish the cap in other areas and keep him around. $1.5 mil isn't the worst thing in the world for a capable fourth liner who can be an extra body if needed.

He's the only heavyweight on the team and has definitely taken some of the onus off of Prust this season, kind of like what Marty is doing for Hank.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Rupp is overpaid for what he does. The Rangers had bigger plans for Rupp when they signed him

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...part-2-1.71787

Rupp is a 4th liner with 2 more years of his contract.

Great guy. That's about it. He is not capable of playing on the 3rd line. The Rangers thought they were getting a more capable player. He looks like a diminished player.

The cap isn't going up with the players taking a % cut. Bettman will fight to the death to keep his hard cap and keep the link between the cap and revenue %. The Rangers have a boatload of players to re-sign. Instead of doing the same song and dance with the AHL,buy Rupp out. He can hook on with another team. The Rangers free up the money. It won't count against the cap. This team should have bought Wolski and Avery out for 1/3. Both of those players sucked out too much money for nothing. Avery has essentially been Georges Laraqued. He receives his salary and never plays. Avery hasn't been banished like Laraque was but he is a healthy scratch in the AHL. Wolski can't get into the line-up. They would rather play a D at wing instead of Wolski.
I dunno, RB. It all depends on what the buyout rules are. Do you only get one? Can you hold onto it for future use (as the NBA allowed in this most recent CBA)? Assuming the former is true, I'd have to think that they'd rather use it on Redden to free up the summer cap. If the latter is true, I think they'd frankly even keep Redden and prefer to pocket the buyout as insurance against Richards (or perhaps Parise if they offer him a similar retirement deal this summer) getting injured or otherwise losing effectiveness earlier than anticipated (a la Drury).

Now, if you get unlimited bites at the apple, THEN do you MAYBE look at guys who are perhaps a couple of hundred thou overpaid...? Eh... Maybe.

I dunno. Personally, if the team feels the need for a heavyweight (and I think Slats does), then I'd much rather have one who can play a competent shift, chip in a couple of goals and who has PO experience. That's why I was good with the signing in the first place. At two years left on the deal, I'd be fine with keeping him under the current contract. If they no longer feel they need the enforcer or if they feel that someone else can step up and do the job as well for less, then I'm fine with that too.

As to Pruster, I love him as much as everyone else. Just need to make sure you recognize him for what he is - a 4th liner. If he's willing to be paid appropriately, great. If he wants more, you have to let him walk.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Torts said the same lineup versatility stuff when they brought Brashear in. It's PR spin and not much else. Has he spent some time on the top two lines? Sure, when the game wasn't tilted in our favor and we needed to mix things up, but he's never been a fixture there.

Prust is a no-brainer to re-sign. Tough, kills penalties, and is a great team guy. $1.3-$1.5 per for 3 years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Give Prust some security.

5 million over 4 years

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I really don't understand this line of thinking. What makes you say that? The cap was just under 40 mil back in 2005, which was way below what some teams were spending prior to that.

The NFL cap went down this year. The NFL, which has revenues that more than triple that of the NHL and each team carries twice as many players.

And you don't think there's a chance that the NHL cap will go down? If the league gets its way and the player share drops to 50%, the cap will go down. And there's no reason to think they won't get their way after the NFL and NBA just did the same thing. The only possibility is that the league agrees to freeze the cap for a number of years the way the NBA did.

The bottom line is that there are just way too many unknowns. Until the new CBA is decided, we should be very careful about adding to next year's cap.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
As to Pruster, I love him as much as everyone else. Just need to make sure you recognize him for what he is - a 4th liner. If he's willing to be paid appropriately, great. If he wants more, you have to let him walk.
There is no need to deal Rupp. Froma 4th line prespective, what else are you looking for/

As for Prust, he is to this team what Maltby/Mcarty (more the former than latter) was to Detroit and is a part of the core of the lockerroom. Even as a 4th/3rd liner. He should be kept.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Ppl around here dont seem ti understand what ut takes to build a e

Old
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Ppl around here dont seem ti understand what ut takes to build a team...look at the Stars and Det and NJ in thwre hay days..kepr same team year after year,with an addition here and there..ppl here just wanna buy out n trade ppl left and right.thats not how u build a dynasty..Rangers are among the youngest team in the league.Keep everyone together,with minor changes here and there.This is the way to build a team...depth every which way from scoring to fighting to checking and hitting and vets etc...

Old
02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I really don't understand this line of thinking. What makes you say that? The cap was just under 40 mil back in 2005, which was way below what some teams were spending prior to that.

The NFL cap went down this year. The NFL, which has revenues that more than triple that of the NHL and each team carries twice as many players.

And you don't think there's a chance that the NHL cap will go down? If the league gets its way and the player share drops to 50%, the cap will go down. And there's no reason to think they won't get their way after the NFL and NBA just did the same thing. The only possibility is that the league agrees to freeze the cap for a number of years the way the NBA did.

The bottom line is that there are just way too many unknowns. Until the new CBA is decided, we should be very careful about adding to next year's cap.
Uhh, that's really your line of thinking? The NFL's cap went down? The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts like the NHL does. Half the players on an NFL roster are also easily replaceable special teams scrubs, whereas almost all NHL roster players get at least some icetime each game.

NFL teams were simply able to cut players to get under the cap, and not owe them a cent. It's not that easy for NHL teams and it would probably end up costing teams more to buyout players and get under the cap than it would to just have a simple freeze. There's a reason the NBA did a freeze, and that's because they have guaranteed contracts, just like the NHL. So yeah, I am fairly confident that the cap isn't going down, at least not significantly, and not during the initial years of the new CBA.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Pizza

I'd say we sign him for a 3 year deal. $1.2 - $1.4 sounds about right. He's a solid 4th liner who can spot you some 3rd line minutes, fights anybody in defense of his mates, bleeds on the colors regularly.

He's easily earned a pay increase and a bit of security .

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote