HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 12:15 AM
alves

vCash: 500
Get rid of Wolski, trade Dubinsky and the cap is OK. But, then we'd have 4 players making over $6.5m. That's asking for trouble in the future.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Or we could have just drafted Giroux instead of the bust Sangs. Or we could have drafted Parise and a bunch of other players instead of Jessiman. There are ways of getting elite players without sucking.
well look at all of the teams that passed on Lundqvist why wasnt he highly regarded his draft year?? i mean Rick DiPietro was 1st overall that year...

Old
02-22-2012, 01:13 AM
fists2cuffsny
Rookie User

we shouldnt look to throw a boat load of players and draft picks to land nash; yeah hes a beast but we're still sitting pretty in first...who cares if we dont get another elite forward within the week. wait it out and sign a "top six" foward later on.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists2cuffsny View Post
we shouldnt look to throw a boat load of players and draft picks to land nash; yeah hes a beast but we're still sitting pretty in first...who cares if we dont get another elite forward within the week. wait it out and sign a "top six" foward later on.
Need a PP point man more, I agree with you I wouldn't give up the farm, we are still tops in east

Old
02-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fists2cuffsny View Post
Those don't always become available, first off. Second, if Nash is available and we are clearly in contention, why not trade for him now?

Personally I think this team is due to come back down to earth a tiny bit. They have been playing great all season long but it is our time. I predict 1-3-1 in the next 5.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers lose 2 out of 3 and the sentiment changes

Pierre LeBrun chat session from yesterday

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun (3:14 PM)

No way Nash is moved for less than a stellar package. I guarantee you that.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42616

Old
02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I just hope he doesn't start shooting the puck wide when he gets here.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

good so he wont be a Ranger...but have a feeling Carter will be..

Old
02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
NikC

Guys like Nash do not come along every day. This team is good, but lacks a top 3 scorer.
Gaborik cant do it every night. Richards can only do so much, Cally as well.
after that, our offense is.spotty at best.

I don't think we get Nash. Sather wont move a.roster defenseman. Duby, Krieder, "prospect, and a first
is all I.would, and think they will offer.

I think well have a.better post season, but with no PP, and limited scoring I cant see us coming
out of the east as is..

Old
02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
good so he wont be a Ranger...but have a feeling Carter will be..
This would be a.great move Imo. The.guy is.young and can flat out score. He is.Proven in our conference.

People dwell on the fact that he's. Not thriving on the worst team in the league????
stupid! Let him have his breakout playoff performance with the NYR!!!!

Old
02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
bmw2004

Carter to the Rangers? With his 10 yrs contract and locker room problems?

Last edited by New York RKY: 02-22-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Flaming
Old
02-22-2012, 08:08 AM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Or we could have just drafted Giroux instead of the bust Sangs. Or we could have drafted Parise and a bunch of other players instead of Jessiman. There are ways of getting elite players without sucking.
This is a big reason as to why I am opposed to Nash. The Rangers drafting in the first round has gotten way better in recent years. Had it gotten better earlier, and had Alexei Cherepanov not passed away so tragically, we wouldn't even be discussing Nash, because Cherepanov and one of Zack Parise/Ryan Getzlaf/Ryan Kesler/Mike Richards/Corey Perry would be Rangers. This is why I believe we should stay the course and keep drafting well. We may not win the cup this year, but in another 2-3 years, we will have a powerhouse team that will be great for at least a decade.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:24 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
If Nash is to expensive player/prospect wise I have no concerns about Carter.

I thinkt he "issues" about Carter are overstated.

Thing is, he has to shift to LW.

His right handed shot off the LW would help this team alot more than a lefty shooting LW

Old
02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
well look at all of the teams that passed on Lundqvist why wasnt he highly regarded his draft year?? i mean Rick DiPietro was 1st overall that year...
Lundqvist was more luck than anything. Can't blame teams for passing on him. The Rangers passed on him through 6 rounds. Girioux and a host of great players in the 03 first round were much better known.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
This is a big reason as to why I am opposed to Nash. The Rangers drafting in the first round has gotten way better in recent years. Had it gotten better earlier, and had Alexei Cherepanov not passed away so tragically, we wouldn't even be discussing Nash, because Cherepanov and one of Zack Parise/Ryan Getzlaf/Ryan Kesler/Mike Richards/Corey Perry would be Rangers. This is why I believe we should stay the course and keep drafting well. We may not win the cup this year, but in another 2-3 years, we will have a powerhouse team that will be great for at least a decade.
Cherepenov (RIP - still on his ELC) - Stepan (on ELC) - Gaborik
Parise (drafted instead of Hugh - now on a small "homegrown discount") - Richards - Giroux (drafted instead of Sangs)
Dubinsky - AA - Cally
Hagelin - Boyle - Korpedo (never traded for Lisin)/Prust

Another goon on the cheap

Would have solved our present fwd woes - no?

Korpedoinstead of Mitchell
Giroux instead of Christensens now vacant spot
Parise instead of Wolski
Cherepenov instead of Feds
A cheaper goon than Rupp (say half price)
Defense/Goalies intact
No Drury buyout or cap overage from last year
3 more Cups to NYC the past 5 years

Hey - this might very well be going dowqn in an al;ternate dimension/Universe???

Last edited by BBKers: 02-22-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Dorado*

Just get Brett Weir I said !!!

Old
02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Franko097

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If Nash is to expensive player/prospect wise I have no concerns about Carter.

I thinkt he "issues" about Carter are overstated.

Thing is, he has to shift to LW.

His right handed shot off the LW would help this team alot more than a lefty shooting LW
The combination of a road loss to a good team and Carter's hat-trick have people talking crazy.

He scored 3 goals and still had an even +/- (I know it isn't tell-all stat, especially in that small of a sample).

I also don't understand the thinking involved in needing Nash/Carter, etc... because we haven't looked as good the last 3 games. If you think we're the team we've played like over this short stretch, then we're not a single player away from winning a cup and we might as well stay the course and look to add a piece in the offseason or next year's trade deadline (where there might be some excellent UFA-to be guys available).

It's also important to listen to Richards talk about his struggles with understanding what Torts and the system demanded of him defensively and how it was affecting his offense. He had an entire training camp and previous experience under Torts. What then is a reasonable learning curve for a guy like Nash or Carter? And whatever that is deemed to be, you know damn well they won't be afforded it by the fans or media.

If you can add an elite player like Nash (and he is elite at what he does best) for Dubi, a pick or two and a prospect not named Krieder? Go for it. Otherwise, add a face-off guy who can play 3rd/4th line minutes and a depth defenseman and let this group make a run.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Cherepenov (RIP - still on his ELC) - Stepan (on ELC) - Gaborik
Parise (drafted instead of Hugh - now on a small "homegrown discount") - Richards - Giroux (drafted instead of Sangs)
Dubinsky - AA - Cally
Hagelin - Boyle - Korpedo (never traded for Lisin)/Prust

Another goon on the cheap

Would have solved our present fwd woes - no?

Korpedoinstead of Mitchell
Giroux instead of Christensens now vacant spot
Parise instead of Wolski
Cherepenov instead of Feds
A cheaper goon than Rupp (say half price)
Defense/Goalies intact
No Drury buyout or cap overage from last year
3 more Cups to NYC the past 5 years

Hey - this might very well be going dowqn in an al;ternate dimension/Universe???
Well, I left Giroux out of the argument because Philly had as big of a hard on for Sanguinetti as we did - they drafted Giroux as a "consolation prize" when we took Sangs one pick ahead of them. I don't think anyone knew what Giroux was going to be or he wouldn't have gone so late, but the point is the same. We are one, maybe two good drafts and one or two JUDICIOUS trades away from being a dynasty team. Let's not throw it all away for one cup (maybe).

Last edited by NYR1967: 02-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
This would be a.great move Imo. The.guy is.young and can flat out score. He is.Proven in our conference.

People dwell on the fact that he's. Not thriving on the worst team in the league????
stupid! Let him have his breakout playoff performance with the NYR!!!!
Carter has mailed it in this season. He was disgusting to watch when they played the Rangers on Sunday. Hes a totally underwhelming player with an elite shot. Would I be willing to take a flyer on him, and hope Torts could turn him around when it comes to being motivated? Maybe.

Would I give up assets for him and his contract that runs through 2022? Not a chance.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Guys like Nash do not come along every day.
A lot of people say that, but it really isn't true. Hossa was available 3 times in the last 4 years (trade from atlanta, UFA twice). Heatley was available via trade twice in the last 3 years. Kovalchuk was available via trade and then via UFA. Richards and Carter were both available via trade this past summer. Parise will likely be a UFA this summer.

The new CBA will most likely do away with the retirement contracts, which means no more locking great players up for 10+ years on good cap hits. Those players will become available more often. Talent will always be available. It's just a matter of making the right deals at the right time.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Carter has mailed it in this season. He was disgusting to watch when they played the Rangers on Sunday. Hes a totally underwhelming player with an elite shot. Would I be willing to take a flyer on him, and hope Torts could turn him around when it comes to being motivated? Maybe.

Would I give up assets for him and his contract that runs through 2022? Not a chance.
If he can "mail it in" and still score a hat trick, like he did just last night, then good for him.

02-22-2012, 09:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

No way Nash is moved for less than a stellar package. I guarantee you that.

Would that be the same Pierre LeBrun that, on the one hand, wasn't sure if the Rangers could make it work capwise for Nash, (while not mentioning that the Flyers have even less cap space), and then the next day claims that he thinks Sather will try to overwhelm Columbus with prospects?

Real credible that one is.

Last edited by jas: 02-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 09:11 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Damn and here I was hoping that Columbus would say how they want to get bent over backwards on a trade.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
A lot of people say that, but it really isn't true. Hossa was available 3 times in the last 4 years (trade from atlanta, UFA twice). Heatley was available via trade twice in the last 3 years. Kovalchuk was available via trade and then via UFA. Richards and Carter were both available via trade this past summer. Parise will likely be a UFA this summer.

The new CBA will most likely do away with the retirement contracts, which means no more locking great players up for 10+ years on good cap hits. Those players will become available more often. Talent will always be available. It's just a matter of making the right deals at the right time.
Absolutely agree, could not have written this better. Everytime a star becomes available, the Rangers "need" him. He will always be that guy that puts them over the top.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Media talking heads trying to build up anticipation for what's looking to be a pretty underwhelming trade deadline. Desperately hoping someone ponies up a kings ransom for Nash so they have something to discuss. The Rangers are willing to pay a certain price, and if Howson wants more, he can look elsewhere. Nothing to panic about.

Closed Thread