HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Banking" Value in Trades

Old
02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
"Banking" Value in Trades

It seems with the Sabres in a selling mode HF has produced a great number of proposals for Buffalo players and would-be acquisitions. In some cases, these hypothetical deals are at face value rejected from the Sabres POV as they don't meet the organizational needs (specifically center, of course). I think, however, that there is something conceptually flawed with this perspective. For example:

Team 1 offers Sabres player X for Roy. X is a very highly regarded wing prospect (think top-15 league-wide skaters prospect), but Team 1 is in win-now mode.

Team 2 offers Sabres player Y. Y is a well regarded center prospect, but not in the league of X. As a center, however, Y is more valuable to the Sabres than 2, who is comfortable from an organizational perspective.

While Y would be instantly more useful to the Sabres' needs than X, I feel the Sabres would be remiss not to take the former deal. If X's value in a vacuum is superior to Y's, it follows that moving X in a separate deal could garner Y+.

On a greater scale, I'd argue that as the Sabres will 99% miss the playoffs this year, they would do better to "bank" the best overall value they could for their expiring contracts, even if that means picking up NHL-ready D prospects and top-9 wingers . At the draft and in the offseason, maximize the value of these assets in separate deals to receive greater overall value for the players traded at the deadline.

Then again I'm just a glitter cat and there are holes to this philosophy. What say ye?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Try to maximize return for all sold assets.

02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think there's a happy medium to all that's being discussed. You can retool without a complete rebuild that overhauls the entire roster and managerial staff. I expect trades of both kinds, and a much more active Regier than we've ever seen. I think we'll see a few NHL bodies come back our way that are younger with upside, you'll see picks and prospects yet to be NHLers come back, even a vet on a good contract in order to move someone we have.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

This organization needs more wingers. I won't be happy until the usher of my season ticket section is a converted winger.

In the example above, I think that you get the best asset that you can for Roy and work out a separate deal for player Y. I don't know a lot about player Y, but given Regiers history, something along the lines of a 2nd rounder.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
This organization needs more wingers. I won't be happy until the usher of my season ticket section is a converted winger.

In the example above, I think that you get the best asset that you can for Roy and work out a separate deal for player Y. I don't know a lot about player Y, but given Regiers history, something along the lines of a 2nd rounder.
I think you keep Roy and trade from a position of depth, not vacancy/absence.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
It seems with the Sabres in a selling mode HF has produced a great number of proposals for Buffalo players and would-be acquisitions. In some cases, these hypothetical deals are at face value rejected from the Sabres POV as they don't meet the organizational needs (specifically center, of course). I think, however, that there is something conceptually flawed with this perspective. For example:

Team 1 offers Sabres player X for Roy. X is a very highly regarded wing prospect (think top-15 league-wide skaters prospect), but Team 1 is in win-now mode.

Team 2 offers Sabres player Y. Y is a well regarded center prospect, but not in the league of X. As a center, however, Y is more valuable to the Sabres than 2, who is comfortable from an organizational perspective.

While Y would be instantly more useful to the Sabres' needs than X, I feel the Sabres would be remiss not to take the former deal. If X's value in a vacuum is superior to Y's, it follows that moving X in a separate deal could garner Y+.

On a greater scale, I'd argue that as the Sabres will 99% miss the playoffs this year, they would do better to "bank" the best overall value they could for their expiring contracts, even if that means picking up NHL-ready D prospects and top-9 wingers . At the draft and in the offseason, maximize the value of these assets in separate deals to receive greater overall value for the players traded at the deadline.

Then again I'm just a glitter cat and there are holes to this philosophy. What say ye?
It depends on how risk averse you are. Bird in the hand and all that stuff. Also there is imperfect valuations: You might believe X is worth more than Y, but other GMs may not, and those who do not aren't going to make the second deal.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Lol, Tampa just did this.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think you keep Roy and trade from a position of depth, not vacancy/absence.
I wouldn't trade Roy to trade him, but we're talking about a top 15 winger. I don't want to cop out and say that it depends on the player, but I interpret this example as being:
-a "winning" trade for a top 15 winger
-a center that could be had with a different offer

Make both deals. If you're worried about the perception of dealing from a position of need, then do the second deal first. Or, convince your trading partner that you are not a rational GM and that you are happy to just continue to fill your center positions with wingers.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Roy to trade him, but we're talking about a top 15 winger. I don't want to cop out and say that it depends on the player, but I interpret this example as being:
-a "winning" trade for a top 15 winger
-a center that could be had with a different offer

Make both deals. If you're worried about the perception of dealing from a position of need, then do the second deal first. Or, convince your trading partner that you are not a rational GM and that you are happy to just continue to fill your center positions with wingers.
Vanek and Pominville are just fine manning the wings. Leino is here to stay, and Kassian, Foligno, Armia, and a few others are waiting. We don't need wingers.

I understand the notion of wanting a top15 guy. But I view Vanek as one, and don't see us getting better by adding a top 15 winger and not only failing to add a center, but getting rid of your only one in the process?????

Old
02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

I'm not looking for some heated debate here, and one question mark is generally fine.

How could the team acquire a center better than Roy? I'm assuming that other pieces would need to be moved. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't close the door to trading Roy for the right winger.

Obviously, we could never have enough wingers. We haven't even discussed player Z yet.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Vanek and Pominville are just fine manning the wings. Leino is here to stay, and Kassian, Foligno, Armia, and a few others are waiting. We don't need wingers.

I understand the notion of wanting a top15 guy. But I view Vanek as one, and don't see us getting better by adding a top 15 winger and not only failing to add a center, but getting rid of your only one in the process?????
Firing Ruff+Trading Roy=Getting Better

recognize

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I'm not looking for some heated debate here, and one question mark is generally fine.

How could the team acquire a center better than Roy? I'm assuming that other pieces would need to be moved. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't close the door to trading Roy for the right winger.

Obviously, we could never have enough wingers. We haven't even discussed player Z yet.
My reply was hardly resembling any intent of a heated debate. Don't take things so personally when you state something that people disagree with and get pushback. It comes with the territory.

I think we proved the past two seasons that you can, indeed, have enough wingers, no? (????? )

I wouldn't close the door on trading Roy either. But I'd close the door on trading him for a winger and not getting a center in return. Or if we did a complete retool, somehow acquiring two other centers (serviceable ones at that) - and then proceeded to trade Roy for a winger.

I won't take underpayment or equal value for our only center. And I wouldn't deal him without having the position addressed in that same deal (highly unlikely) or a deal prior (pretty unlikely)

Old
02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Firing Ruff+Trading Roy=Getting Better

recognize
You want to dump Roy for sake of change. I want to show a slight sign of intelligence in this retool, and take facts into consideration.

Fire Ruff. Trade Roy. Centers then become.... Nobody. Sundher? Catenacci? Address the position. Don't weaken it for sake of change.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
You want to dump Roy for sake of change. I want to show a slight sign of intelligence in this retool, and take facts into consideration.

Fire Ruff. Trade Roy. Centers then become.... Nobody. Sundher? Catenacci? Address the position. Don't weaken it for sake of change.
keep going trade EVERYONE for picks!!!!

Trade Miller to Tampa for their 1st
Trade Roy for a 1st
Trade Vanek for a 1st
Grigorenko + Galchenyuk+Gaunce 2012!!!
Mackinnon 2013

2015-2025 CUP CONTENDERS!!!

So easy

Destroy it... its the only cure

Old
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
My reply was hardly resembling any intent of a heated debate. Don't take things so personally when you state something that people disagree with and get pushback. It comes with the territory.

I think we proved the past two seasons that you can, indeed, have enough wingers, no? (????? )

I wouldn't close the door on trading Roy either. But I'd close the door on trading him for a winger and not getting a center in return. Or if we did a complete retool, somehow acquiring two other centers (serviceable ones at that) - and then proceeded to trade Roy for a winger.

I won't take underpayment or equal value for our only center. And I wouldn't deal him without having the position addressed in that same deal (highly unlikely) or a deal prior (pretty unlikely)
Don't abuse punctuation and expect no pushback. It comes with the territory.

I agree that the outgoing phone calls should be addressing acquisition of center(s), and I'm concerned that the only players that are popping up in trade talks are the only two NHL centers that we have. However, if someone calls offering a rugged a first line winger for Roy, I'm not hanging up.

Also, we absolutely need more wingers. I'm convinced that we're only 9 or 10 NHL wingers away from having the perfect team. I won't be happy until we are so deep at wing that Jerome Iginla is working the lot that I park in.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I think there's a happy medium to all that's being discussed. You can retool without a complete rebuild that overhauls the entire roster and managerial staff. I expect trades of both kinds, and a much more active Regier than we've ever seen. I think we'll see a few NHL bodies come back our way that are younger with upside, you'll see picks and prospects yet to be NHLers come back, even a vet on a good contract in order to move someone we have.
I hope you're right but my gut is telling me that come 3PM next Monday, Boyes and Gragnani will be the only two gone for low round draft picks.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I'm convinced that we're only 9 or 10 NHL wingers away from having the perfect team.
You forgot the

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:40 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Don't abuse punctuation and expect no pushback. It comes with the territory.

I agree that the outgoing phone calls should be addressing acquisition of center(s), and I'm concerned that the only players that are popping up in trade talks are the only two NHL centers that we have. However, if someone calls offering a rugged a first line winger for Roy, I'm not hanging up.

Also, we absolutely need more wingers. I'm convinced that we're only 9 or 10 NHL wingers away from having the perfect team. I won't be happy until we are so deep at wing that Jerome Iginla is working the lot that I park in.
Okay - Jarome, by the way, as you're trying to educate someone who writes for a living on what qualifies as "punctuation abuse".

Adding multiple question marks in reply to a questionable comment - for emphasis - isn't abuse.

But we clearly disagree, no big deal. I'm not listening to offers for our only center unless we address the need elsewhere first, or in that same deal (which is near impossible given the market [or lack of] for centers).

And I can't tell if you're kidding or not with your 9 wingers comment... Would you mind clarifying? Or is it as absurdly straightforward as it appears? Or, better yet, are you sarcastically yet unintentionally proving my point?

????? <------- see what I did there?

Last edited by jBuds: 02-22-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Okay - Jarome, by the way, as you're trying to educate someone who writes for a living on what qualifies as "punctuation abuse".

Adding multiple question marks in reply to a questionable comment - for emphasis - isn't abuse.

But we clearly disagree, no big deal. I'm not listening to offers for our only center unless we address the need elsewhere first, or in that same deal (which is near impossible given the market [or lack of] for centers).

And I can't tell if you're kidding or not with your 9 wingers comment... Would you mind clarifying? Or is it as absurdly straightforward as it appears? Or, better yet, are you sarcastically yet unintentionally proving my point?

????? <------- see what I did there?
i chuckled a bit

Old
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Check out these line combos:

Vanek / Player X / Pominville
Ennis / Jerome-Jarome / Stafford
Kassian / Leino / Gerbe
McCormick / Player Y / Kaleta

Bobby Ryan / Zack Parise
Rick Nash / ?????
Foligno / Player Z

Enron
Alexander Semin

In the example above, I've assumed that we could trade all of our defensemen for Player Y. This still leaves room for Shane Doan to come over and work in the ticket booth at the arena.

We agree on some points. The team definitely needs centers so badly that the number of wingers that come up in trade discussion here, on the call in shows, and elsewhere just boggles my mind. Why Regier hasn't addressed it, or why our only two centers are the ones popping up in trade talks also has me scratching my head.

However, I can't say that there isn't a single winger in the NHL that I wouldn't trade Derek Roy for just because Roy plays a position of immediate need.

Ideally, Derek Roy isn't the only piece of this core moved. The center position has to be addressed. Hopefully it's addressed through a combination of trade, UFA, and the draft in ways that improve the club long term.