HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

which original six arena was the best?

Old
02-21-2012, 06:10 AM
tailgunner

vCash: 500
which original six arena was the best?

as a ranger fan I only have seen maple leaf gardens...I was not born when the 1925-1967 MSG was around...I wonder how awesome those original arenas must have been...which one was the best? olympia,,chicago stadium, boston garden, MSG,MLG or the montreal forum?

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

I agree, must have been awesome.

Only I'm more intrigued by the original arenas, long before the (Non)Original-Six.

Duquesne Gardens would be my vote

Last edited by Pens75: 02-21-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
as a ranger fan I only have seen maple leaf gardens...I was not born when the 1925-1967 MSG was around...I wonder how awesome those original arenas must have been...which one was the best? olympia,,chicago stadium, boston garden, MSG,MLG or the montreal forum?
I've only been to 3 of them, The Stadium (100's of times) the Olympia (maybe 20 times) and MLG (once).
The Olympia was kind of the dumpiest but all 3 were great places to watch games. When I was a kid going to games the experience of the Stadium was the best. I was 19 when I went to MLG and I remeber it being great but a lot more expensive than Chicago. Back in that day when my dad and uncle would take me to Detroit the Wings couldn't draw flies so it effects my opinion. We went because Hawk home tix were very hard to get then (late 60's thru mid 70's) I am sure someone who went to Chicago a lot in the early 2000's would say the UC experience was a poor one. Younger people just cannot relate to the closeness and sightlines of the old places. It's all about private boxes, beauty and producing maximum revenue now. Those places were built to watch events.

(guessing at the number) I would say someone in the front row of the 2nd balcony (called the 2nd balcony then as well) in Chicago Stadium was probably 100 feet closer to the ice than they are now in the 2nd balcony (called the 300 level) at the United Center. It changes the game.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:50 AM
John Flyers Fan

Of the 6 I've been to MLG, Montreal Forum and Chicago Stadium once each.

I thought the Forum had the best sight lines, and Chicago Stadium had the best atmosphere.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

The only O6 barn I've ever set foot in was MLG. Tried to get tickets to a game that night (if I don't ask, they can't say no )

My favourite out of the six was the Forum. When I was a kid watching HNIC, back in the days when the Leafs ruled the day, it was always a little special being able to see a game at the Forum (either because the Leafs were on town or had a rare Saturday night off), and hearing Howie Meeker instead of Bob Cole. Gave a completely different dynamic to the evening.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
tailgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Mtl did not as it always had people standing in the sightlines of the camera. However I cant imagine much compared to the atmosphere of the Forum, MLG or Chicago in that order
I remember that in tv telecasts...people would stand up and block the tv cameras whenever there was action around the faceoff circle

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Fire Julien

I've been in every one of them, and all of them except MSG were unique and amazing. Never liked MSG which is a pretty bland building other than it hosts tons of events.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:49 AM
ICM1970

I was told that the Olympia was originally built for boxing so there never was a bad seat in the place. I have plenty of Detroit Olympia footage as part of my hockey videos collection. Went to the Montreal Forum for a game in 1982 and ended up getting seats behind the TV area but if you walked down a couple of rows the view was still very good. I've always wondered why places like Scotiabank Place, Air Canada Centre, United Centre, etc could not borrowed distinct design features (both in the interior and exterior) from Original Six arenas of the past? Ottawa could have made Scotiabank Place reminiscent of the old Auditorium (where the original Senators played in the 1920s and 1930s). I can remember on YouTube somebody posting a classic/modern design suggestion for new Detroit Olympia if the Joe were to ever be retired as the Red Wings' home.

Last edited by ICM1970: 02-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.
ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote