HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist named Defensive Player of the Week

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2006, 11:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Lundqvist named Defensive Player of the Week

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152023&hubname=nhl

01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, who led the Rangers to three victories with a 1.62 goals-against average and .946 save percentage, is the League's Defensive Player of the Week.

Awesome numbers!

Old
01-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Fletch

Congrats to him...

a few more weeks like that...and the Rangers will be feeling good about the playoffs.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

One thing I noticed with Lundqvist is that he probably takes more shutouts into the third period than any goalie I've seen this season.

He has two this year, but easily could have had 3-4 and if this team actually develops a defense in front of him (good possibility) it's kind of scary to think of the numbers he (and possibly Montoya) might be able to post.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Fletch

Noticed the same Edge...

and it isn't always easy getting through those first two. I thought the same recently when, I believe, he brought the shutout into the third and gave up two goals.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
One thing I noticed with Lundqvist is that he probably takes more shutouts into the third period than any goalie I've seen this season.

He has two this year, but easily could have had 3-4 and if this team actually develops a defense in front of him (good possibility) it's kind of scary to think of the numbers he (and possibly Montoya) might be able to post.
I posted this in the Miller vs Lundqvist debate thread and people were dismissing it. Yes Lundqvist must have set the league record for most games going into the third with a shutout. The team lets him down in the third almost every game he plays. Either that or he gets a little too relaxed.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
in the hall

i also noticed that and even posted about it early on

i think of his first 4-5 games he took a shutout into the third

Old
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
SChan*

I have also seen that stat. Sadly he usually yields 1 or 2 goals in the third or else he could have had like 4-5 more shutouts.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:16 PM
shoothepuck

Great for Lundqvist. Problem is NY takes a few penalties late in the game and then give up a goal or two on and there goes his shutout. You would think the D would clamp down a bit knowing that they could get a shutout, but they seem to give up 3rd period goals.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:32 PM
kovalev27hf

more importantly he gives his team a chance to take control of the game through 2 periods. any team would love to know they could have 2 periods to establish their game and he always seems to do that for them. once the defense becomes a real defense with the likes of staal, baranka, sauer, and tyutin henke will be almost unbeatable.

Old
01-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Whoever ends up winning between Montoya and Lundqvist might be re-setting some Ranger goalie records if the defense develops in front.

One thing Lundqvist has really done this season is hide this team's mediocre defense. Two shutouts isn't overwhelmingly impressive, but taking into consideration the the team he's one, that is pretty amazing. Put a defense in front of him and he's probably right up there with other goaltending statistical leaders. Not that he isn't now, but even more so.

The Rangers traditionally have never been a great defensive team, even in the 90's they weren't light's out. Realistically with the team's prospect base, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this team's long term goalie might seriously dwarf some Ranger records in net.

Old
01-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Whoever ends up winning between Montoya and Lundqvist might be re-setting some Ranger goalie records if the defense develops in front.

One thing Lundqvist has really done this season is hide this team's mediocre defense. Two shutouts isn't overwhelmingly impressive, but taking into consideration the the team he's one, that is pretty amazing. Put a defense in front of him and he's probably right up there with other goaltending statistical leaders. Not that he isn't now, but even more so.
all that has to be seen, is this

Lundqvist 20-6-5
Weekes 8-8-2

and know that they are both playing with the same team in front of them

Closed Thread