HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2012, 08:13 AM
operasen

vCash: 500
Paper today says more cuts coming by June - mainly TV support but others possible

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/02/17/...-at-ctv-ottawa

Old
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

That would be fun to have in the back of your mind for 4 months

Old
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
That would be fun to have in the back of your mind for 4 months
I still think that sometime this summer, the big re-brand under the TSN Radio banner is coming. All the broad hints are there...

Old
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Afro Thunder*

Pierre was on complete troll mode on sens fans this morning, seemed so pissed off. Kuba for a 3rd lol, and went of when someone mentioned Carkner to Vancouver.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Pierre was on complete troll mode on sens fans this morning, seemed so pissed off. Kuba for a 3rd lol, and went of when someone mentioned Carkner to Vancouver.
To be fair Carkner should have never played on our defense... He definately wont play on a true Cup contenders defense

Old
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
I still think that sometime this summer, the big re-brand under the TSN Radio banner is coming. All the broad hints are there...
I heard them using the old HNIC theme, now owned by TSN on some game-day spot. Are they owned by TSN/CTV/Bell-Rogers?

Old
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Legend Killer

Since the last round of changes there has been some noticeable improvements on the Team1200...

TGOR- Actually talk alot of hockey... Actually did an interview with Gord Wilson early yesterday morning...around 7am... Seems like maybe theyre getting the idea

Sportscall- The addition of "Simmer" has been good... He seems to have a bunch of hockey contacts and theyve been doing way more interviews than before... Just today they had Jeff Halpern, Dale Talon, Dean Brown(Sens Insider segment)... Him and Lee seem to be pretty solid together and could see this show getting even better if they continue to get solid NHL Interviews...

Healthy Scratches- Needed no improvement... Its a solid show, have solid input on the Power Hour... and usually a Sens interview/week with either coach or management...

The station is in a MUCH better place than it was 2 weeks ago...Hopefully it lasts...

Old
02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Since the last round of changes there has been some noticeable improvements on the Team1200...

TGOR- Actually talk alot of hockey... Actually did an interview with Gord Wilson early yesterday morning...around 7am... Seems like maybe theyre getting the idea

Sportscall- The addition of "Simmer" has been good... He seems to have a bunch of hockey contacts and theyve been doing way more interviews than before... Just today they had Jeff Halpern, Dale Talon, Dean Brown(Sens Insider segment)... Him and Lee seem to be pretty solid together and could see this show getting even better if they continue to get solid NHL Interviews...

Healthy Scratches- Needed no improvement... Its a solid show, have solid input on the Power Hour... and usually a Sens interview/week with either coach or management...

The station is in a MUCH better place than it was 2 weeks ago...Hopefully it lasts...

Good points all - I have certainly liked TGOR better lately. When management puts someone's head on a stick, and then tells you how they would like to see things unfold going forward, your tendency is to listen. Ol' Jungle made vague references to the fact that management had told him to tone down the raunch factor. He was too arrogant to listen, and now he is a former employee. I am betting that going forward, staff are going to be VERY receptive to the direction in which management would like to take the station, and that's not a bad thing.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
otown

Maybe somebody at 1200 is listening. Sportscall today with Simpson and Versage and several guests was excellent. Simpson's contacts in the hockey world will bring a lot to the show. Versage took a back seat and was more of a moderator than the usual "come on man" persona. I see hope! TGOR is still the weakest link in local programming but definitely massive improvement since Jerome left.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I heard them using the old HNIC theme, now owned by TSN on some game-day spot. Are they owned by TSN/CTV/Bell-Rogers?
Yes, they are under the same CTV media umbrella. The Team started using the old HNIC them the day it was purchased by CTV global media.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
One Gun Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post

A sports radio station that actually talks about sports , you say?

GASP !

I'll give it another chance.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

They talked about pubes this morning, first time ever I tune in live and they talk about shaving the pubes.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

You guys do know that JR is the Program Director at the Team1200, right?

Old
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
You guys do know that JR is the Program Director at the Team1200, right?
I am pretty sure most are aware of this.

He has been for awhile now

Old
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
SilverSeven

Is JR Jim Rome? I cant stand Jim Rome.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
No JR(John Rodenburg) from TGOR is who they are talking about I believe.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
JR as in the host of TGOR

JR Rodenburg

Old
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
They talked about pubes this morning, first time ever I tune in live and they talk about shaving the pubes.

Oh good Lord. That didn't take long, did it?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Maybe somebody at 1200 is listening. Sportscall today with Simpson and Versage and several guests was excellent. Simpson's contacts in the hockey world will bring a lot to the show. Versage took a back seat and was more of a moderator than the usual "come on man" persona. I see hope! TGOR is still the weakest link in local programming but definitely massive improvement since Jerome left.
I'm not a fan of "Simmer". Too much "We did this" referencing his times in Washington and Toronto. Put it this way, if this guy was a genius he'd be a GM somewhere. If he were ahead of the curve he'd be in hockey ops instead of a radio station. If he is going to say "we" all the time, I'd like someone from one of those organizations to come on the radio and explain the role "Simmer" had and how crucial he was to decision-making. Basically...I don't tune in to Team 1200 to hear about the host's accomplishments, valid or no. Just spoonfeed me guests and news about local and other Canadian teams and move on.

Very much hope changes in June mean we can rid ourselves of most of the people on the station, replace them with people like Ferraro, Potvin, etc. and go from there. Heck, I'd even settle for a feed from TSN in Montreal, Toronto or Winnipeg with a Dean Brown segment if it meant I got a wide view of the NHL and sports in general.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
...I don't tune in to Team 1200 to hear about the host's accomplishments, valid or no. Just spoonfeed me guests and news about local and other Canadian teams and move on.

Very much hope changes in June mean we can rid ourselves of most of the people on the station, replace them with people like Ferraro, Potvin, etc. and go from there. Heck, I'd even settle for a feed from TSN in Montreal, Toronto or Winnipeg with a Dean Brown segment if it meant I got a wide view of the NHL and sports in general.

When I mentioned these sentiments to JR in an email, it wasn't met with any warmth, but more defensiveness and a "well, you can't please everyone", type attitude. Really surprising, given I've met JR a few times and he seemed like a real open guy...

I was shocked that he wasn't even into listening to my points, but fighting me point by point.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
CapitalCityGoofball

Perhaps it's time for "Gordo" to drop the whole "I'm a goalie" thing. Let's be honest, he and Dean Brown are the furthest things from athletes I've ever seen.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Cowen Time

I like Jerome in the old days. Yes, a bit rounchy but there was some creativity. His re-joining was a disaster. Don't know if it is from doing it long distance, or just burned out, it was just crude and bad.

Phil Melanson leaving is a gift. Worst radio guy on the air - barely high school PA announcement quality. I didn't realize he had gone because I had long given up on that show. I will check it out again.

TGOR may mention pubes here and there, but that is nothing new. I have enjoyed the show since Jimmie left, and even Don Brennan did a good job sitting in. Warren is still the anchor and a total pro.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:52 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Is their website b0rked or something? Can't tune in for PM... no sthick for me.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I'm not a fan of "Simmer". Too much "We did this" referencing his times in Washington and Toronto. Put it this way, if this guy was a genius he'd be a GM somewhere...
You could say this about every talking head in hockey. Or any sport, for that matter.

So you're saying that every analyst everywhere is bunk?

Old
02-23-2012, 09:15 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Simmer is awesome. Provides great insight into what a GM or director of player personelle might be thinking. Love hearing old stories too...

Closed Thread