HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dear Darcy: Do not call up these players

Old
02-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Dear Darcy: Do not call up these players

In Dear Darcy: Do not call up these players, Matthew Coller of WGR writes:
Quote:
Their solid playoff chances, however, are only one reason the last-place Sabres should leave top prospects Luke Adam, Brayden McNabb and Marcus Foligno in Rochester. The other? Veteran Amerks players are a better example to learn from than the last-place Sabres players.
Quote:
Prospects like Adam benefit from being around players who are forced to outwork their talent to keep their hockey careers alive. Whitmore's battled like crazy to get this far and never forgets it. During a 9-4 win last week against the Texas Stars, Whitmore slid across the ice to block a power-play slap shot with his team up by five goals. That's what general manager Darcy Regier should want his young players to see.

Furthermore, players in Rochester are expected each other to stand up for teammates. They aren't forced by public embarrassment a la Milan Lucic running over Ryan Miller. Friday night, when a Monsters player ran forward Michael Ryan into the wall. Travis Turnbull immediately dropped the gloves. Seconds later, Igor Gongalsky did too. They didn't have to be told, they just did. That's the expectation of their teammates and it has been all year.

If there is a Sabres fire sale, Regier should replace the open spots with a few of the AHL players who have spent years trying to move through the system. Players like Turnbull, Corey Tropp and Drew Schiestel.
Coller also adds additional notes on three Amerks:
Quote:
Drew Schiestel played his best game of the season Friday night. He was an AHL All-Star last season and we finally saw it. Schiestel had a difficult knee injury that often takes a year to be fully back even if the knee is healthy enough to play. You have to think Schiestel would have been called up this year had he been 100 percent.
Quote:
Marcus Foligno was drilled by a Brayden McNabb slap shot in the face. He skated off in a hurry with blood pouring from his face. Foligno did not return to the game, but appeared to be alright after the game. He posted a picture on his Twitter account after the game of a giant score above his lip. Coach Rolston said he wasn't sure when the Amerks' forward would be back in the lineup but expected him not to miss much time.

Brayden McNabb was fantastic again. If there's one player the Sabres should consider untouchable in trade moves, it's McNabb. He scored a goal for the Amerks on Friday night and continued to play hard.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:41 AM
barcs

vCash: 500
I couldn't agree with these sentiments more. I don't want any of our prospects up in the vile atmosphere that is the '11-'12 Sabres home stretch. The Rochester experience seems so positive for these guys right now.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:12 AM
hockey18

Where is brennan in all this talk about guys playing well? He had a goal and an assist last night. Has been scoring almost a point per game when in the ahl for quite a while. He is playing physical and had a two point game last night. HOw is he the forgotten man?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
Where is brennan in all this talk about guys playing well? He had a goal and an assist last night. Has been scoring almost a point per game when in the ahl for quite a while. He is playing physical and had a two point game last night. HOw is he the forgotten man?
Maybe you should read the article.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:25 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
I couldn't agree with these sentiments more. I don't want any of our prospects up in the vile atmosphere that is the '11-'12 Sabres home stretch. The Rochester experience seems so positive for these guys right now.
Absolutely.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Send Kassian down too, no reason to keep him in this suckitude.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:01 AM
DixonWard15

its a new Rochester core of:

Kassian, Luke Adam, Marcus Foligno, Cory Tropp

McNabb, Brennan

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I don't find myself agreeing with this guy very often but I could not agree more here. A lot of people are advocating for the kids to be called up for playing time but I see absolutely no good coming from that. Playing in a losing environment can kill a player. Even worse, playing in a losing environment in which talent is not the problem.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
CougarsSugar*

This all depends on the total number of bodies that we may or may not lose by the deadline.

Perhaps some of the players mentioned may be moved as well.

CougarsSugar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Similar to Buffalo87, this may be the first time that I agree with something that Coller has written.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
CougarsSugar*

Paul Hamilton was hammering the point home that Darcy and the Sabres are never the "trendsetters" ! Just was interviwed on coach Sal's show wgr 550.

Paul says , Darcy waits and waits and waits and waits...

I have been saying this for years about Darcy .

He is always so afraid to make the first move and be the trendsetter .

He waits for the market to be set for him instead of doing it himself !

Nobody else ever sees this ?

Above everything else Darcy is a coward as well .

I certainly hope Rick Dudley is in Terry's plans for the GM of the future for the Sabres sooner rather than later .

Good on Paul for hammering that point home about Darcy , Paul Hamilton sounds sick of it as well !

CougarsSugar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:05 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Send Kassian down too, no reason to keep him in this suckitude.
Coller doesn't want him; he doesn't fight or hit.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Coller doesn't want him; he doesn't fight or hit.
I kind of wonder if he is intentionally not doing those things in the AHL. Like he doesn't want to risk a suspension by hitting heavily down there, or risk his chances of a call up by breaking his hand. Just speculation, but I wouldn't be at all happy if that was the case.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
HogtownSabresfan

You will not see any the future Sabres called up except perhaps Adam because he was promised. This season is over. They will not want to waste any of them in the NHL. It's a non-issue

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I don't exactly trust Lindy's ability to develop players, either. Keep them down there.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I don't exactly trust Lindy's ability to develop players, either. Keep them down there.
Agreed - Rolston is the right guy to teach. I've lost faith in Ruff's and his staff's ability to teach anything new anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarsSugar View Post
I have been saying this for years about Darcy . He is always so afraid to make the first move and be the trendsetter .

He waits for the market to be set for him instead of doing it himself !
Old news - the overwhelming majority of Sabre fans and media have been criticizing Regier for years for just that reason, reacting to what other GMs do rather than being proactive.

Quote:
Nobody else ever sees this ?
Everyone but Sabres' ownership sees it - be it Golisano/Quinn in the past or apparently Pegula/Black now.

Quote:
Paul Hamilton sounds sick of it as well !
He's not the only one!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:36 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Totally agree with this, I would like to see Kassian go back down at some point to continue learning down there. I think it's a better environment for the young guys still growing, I'd rather they go stay down there and we burn up a guy who needs the reward of getting NHL ice time.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Boose30

agree here 100%

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
im beginning to feel that players are get used to the routine in which ruff plays them with and i dont think they should ever feel comfortable with losing. change is good and i think is needed.

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
punkr0x

Definitely. Why should these guys waste their talent on a 12th place team, 6 points out of the playoffs, when they could be playing for an 11th place team 4 points out of the playoffs?

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote