HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash-ty Rumors Part IV: The Longest Week

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Yeah so I guess that means all our first round picks for now on have no value. Come on.

MDZ and Staal were also first round picks the organization was and still is very high on.
It means, that the organization being really high on on a prospect doesn't make him a sure NHLer or an untouchable. Everything I read about Miller (very limited) makes it sound like he doesn't have very high end scoring potential. The only guy in the system that I can remember having high end scoring potential are Chere and Kreider. We don't have anyone with high end scoring abilities on the big club either outside of a streaky Gaborik. We need a guy like Nash.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan87 View Post
TOO bad the spelling is TOO damn bad.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
We wouldnt be destorying out future. Destorying our future would be trading away our top 5 prospects together. Trading away one of Kreider or Erixon is not going to kill the team in the long run by any means.

That team was very similiar. You had a mid 20's goalie, you had your core players in their mid to late 20's. You had young defenseman in Zubov/Leetch (Girardi/McD).

That team isn't as different as you may think..
It is different because that team HAD to win the Cup or else they were a complete failure. Messier.....Smith.....Keenan.....all failures. They had to go for it. The difference is this team is ahead of schedule, they can play out the season, see what happens, and then try to make a splash again this summer.

I don't mind them making a move, but seeing names like Kreider, Miller, Erixon thrown around bothers me. Dubinksky's name being mentioned bothered me too, but not so much now as it did say 2 weeks ago.

Old
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
It means, that the organization being really high on on a prospect doesn't make him a sure NHLer or an untouchable. Everything I read about Miller (very limited) makes it sound like he doesn't have very high end scoring potential. The only guy in the system that I can remember having high end scoring potential are Chere and Kreider. We don't have anyone with high end scoring abilities on the big club either outside of a streaky Gaborik. We need a guy like Nash.
I think Fasth will really develop. 25 - 25 guy. At least. Time will tell - always good with a dark horse, late round Swedish pix. No?

Old
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
When you trade someone will on a down year you have to give up more than that. If Dubbi, then be prepared to lose MCD and Kreider too! You cant just say ok we will give you 3 garbage players for 1 good one! How about Dubbi, Kreider, MCD and Miller!
I like how people say let give Dubbi, wolski, oh and maybe we will throw in a mid level prospect, i mean common!
We are saying this is our limit. Any thing over and no thanks. Why is that a frustrating statement. Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo (2 garbage for 1 good)? That screamed "common" that day. The Thornton trade (3 garbage for 1 good)? Hossa, Kovalchuk (4 garbage for 1 good)?

No one is saying Nash at all costs. You're acting like we shake hands and then let an arbitrator spin the wheel of compensation. Sather can walk away from the talks at any point.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
It is different because that team HAD to win the Cup or else they were a complete failure. Messier.....Smith.....Keenan.....all failures. They had to go for it. The difference is this team is ahead of schedule, they can play out the season, see what happens, and then try to make a splash again this summer.

I don't mind them making a move, but seeing names like Kreider, Miller, Erixon thrown around bothers me. Dubinksky's name being mentioned bothered me too, but not so much now as it did say 2 weeks ago.
Well with a looming lockout likely for next season again, i would say this would be a good time to go all out for that cup..

Old
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
anyways, thats neither here nor there, i dont give a damn if he does lines of coke on prostitutes stomachs as long as he puts up 30-40 goals.
Kevin Stevens was a hell of a player for a while.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
DutchShamrock

fleury too

Old
02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
That team was completely different than this one. They weren't as young. Plenty of people contend that those trades in '94 did more damage than anything. I don't really have an opinion on those trades, however. The attitude of not caring about the future scares me.

The idea of expecting 93-94 results, just because they make a trade is too much of a gambler's fallacy for me to get on board.

Also if we are going to use them as an example:

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...for-rick-nash/
This team is #1 in an east with Crosby and Pronger being injured. Horton has been injured. The Devils might have won a few more shootouts if Zajac wasn't injured. Seriously, we've had Staal, Sauer, and Eminger injured, but I still don't believe know if every team were fully healthy we're #1 in the east. I still say the Penguins without Crosby are the better team. We can easily not have a year like this in the next decade.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
No it doesn't guaruntee anything of course, but it gives us a much better shot.

And the last time the Rangers had a team anywhere near this good was in 93-94 and we made some big trades at that deadline, and what happened after that is history..
What happened in the 15 years after that is history too...a terrible history of going for broke for superstars other teams are trying to get rid of.

We've made this team into what it is by diverting from that thinking, and hopefully we're on the road for long term success, after years of doing it wrong. I'm gonna keep using the turkey analogy... We've had no luck in making turkey for Thanksgiving the past few years... trying to add crazy thing while forgetting to do everything. This time, we think we got it right. We've prepared this turkey (and dont forget the leftovers we'll be eating for days) and its in the oven. We basted it, marinated it, stuffed it...we popped the oven door open and took a peek and man does it look good. There are some parts that still need some cooking but this turkey is gonna be the bomb when its done. If you take it out an hour before its done cooking, that turkey sucks now. Feast, gone. Leftovers, nope. Now we gotta go out and buy some crappy food for tonight and the next week, of which we dont have much money left to do...

Let the turkey cook. It's looking so good.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
What happened in the 15 years after that is history too...a terrible history of going for broke for superstars other teams are trying to get rid of.

We've made this team into what it is by diverting from that thinking, and hopefully we're on the road for long term success, after years of doing it wrong. I'm gonna keep using the turkey analogy... We've had no luck in making turkey for Thanksgiving the past few years... trying to add crazy thing while forgetting to do everything. This time, we think we got it right. We've prepared this turkey (and dont forget the leftovers we'll be eating for days) and its in the oven. We basted it, marinated it, stuffed it...we popped the oven door open and took a peek and man does it look good. There are some parts that still need some cooking but this turkey is gonna be the bomb when its done. If you take it out an hour before its done cooking, that turkey sucks now. Feast, gone. Leftovers, nope. Now we gotta go out and buy some crappy food for tonight and the next week, of which we dont have much money left to do...

Let the turkey cook. It's looking so good.
Again though, those teams were not like the 93-94 teams. The teams later were just all FA's who were past their primes. That was a garbage way to try to win a cup. We had no youth, no hungry players, no nothing.

We acutally have a great core again like in the early 90s. All we had to do then was add a missing peice or two.

Closed Thread