HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Guys, drop the personal pissing match or I'll be forced to get off this couch and you won't like it.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Guys, drop the personal pissing match or I'll be forced to get off this couch and you won't like it.
Is it one with the recliners built in? Those are so comfortable...and so hard to make yourself get off of...

Why, you could just sleep the day away.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
BluesRiver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesRiver View Post
Right, I see Cole as the left-side counterpart to Polak; strong as a bull.

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Polak on the right side seems like a great future for the Blues.

As we all know the left side is a question, but Cole and Fairchild could anchor the left side until Armstrong can bring in a top-pairing LHD.

I don't see a future for Colaiacovo on the Blues. If Huskins comes back and plays very well all the way through the playoffs, then I can see him getting re-signed for one more season.

Arnott, one year $2m.

Let go of Nichol and re-sign Porter for two more seasons at 800k per.

Not sure what the heck I was thinking when I wrote "re-sign Reaves". The boy is re-signed!! DOH!!

Too much imbibitude at 3am . I bet you guys were thinking that I must be insane or a complete idiot.
QFT and driving on.

Last edited by BluesRiver: 02-06-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I survived a war. I don't need this crap. Later!
Old
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
not if you want to resign Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, Petro and Shatty. You would lose 2 of those 6 at some point.
Suter for berglund and stewart is fine by me

Old
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyjumpinblues View Post
Suter for berglund and stewart is fine by me

Yeah, me too.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Thekidline

I like arnott on another 1 year deal but anything else I believe is to long.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Will Andy McDonald be back? Or does he retire in the off-season due to concussion issues? Should we try to replace his play-making abilities this off-season or wait until next?

Old
02-07-2012, 12:16 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Will Andy McDonald be back? Or does he retire in the off-season due to concussion issues? Should we try to replace his play-making abilities this off-season or wait until next?
If he retires, Schwartz will make the team.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If he retires, Schwartz will make the team.
I think it's more likely that the Blues would sign a free-agent and then take their time with Schwartz. No need to rush him along.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
stlweir

The long wait is over. Showing great patience Blues management has built one of the top teams in the NHL with a limited budget. 55 games into the season the Blues 75 points are behind only Detroit - 78 and the Rangers - 77. Only the Rangers have given up fewer goals than the Blues, 111 to 110. The Blues also have an excellent young nucleus, all their draft picks, organizational depth and some young guns in the wings. How good will Tarasenko and Schwartz be? Hopefully the Stillman group will become the new owners and bring stability to the franchise. The Blues are in position to be an annual cup contender for years to come. Let's see what this team can do in the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Ghost Face
Hull of Fame

Anyone else notice how often Berglund gets kicked out of the face-off circle? I don't know what it is about how he sets up to take draws but I see it happen several times every game. I guess its all the more reason to pair him McDonald or Sobotka.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah View Post
Anyone else notice how often Berglund gets kicked out of the face-off circle? I don't know what it is about how he sets up to take draws but I see it happen several times every game. I guess its all the more reason to pair him McDonald or Sobotka.
If you watch Berg he tends to attempt to time the faceoff and leaps forward with his stick sweeping to the side. If he mis-times he tends to get booted. This is exacerbated with some linesmen who have a false drop motion or ones who are really picky.

When his move is being ignored Berg tends to win at a good clip. What drags his average down is when he tries to comply with the linesman and gets beat by smaller/faster players.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
dao256

Arnott deserves to be brought back for one more year. If we want to contend next year his presence could be a big factor. With this in mind, anything over a year is probably something Id want to stay away from. Theres to much young talent coming up the pipeline. Keep in mind that we will likely free up a spot by not bringing back Nichol. I think that Schwartz starts the year in Peoria. Im not sure exactly how theyll line up, but if we carry 14 forwards:

1) Backes
2) Oshie
3) Perron
4) McDonald
5) Berglund
6) Stewart
7) Sobotka
8) Steen
9) D'Agostini
10) Arnott
11) Tarasenko
12) Porter
13) Reaves
14) Grachev? McRae? Rattie? Crombeen? Schwartz? Cracknell? FA? As injuries inevitably happen we will find out.

I think that we need someone who can play the top pairing left side for a couple years. That will likely come via FA. Cole isnt in my top 7 right now, id much rather have Colaiacovo as the 6/7 guy. Ryan Suter would be awesome for that pairing, another option I think could be Matt Carle (although he typically played right).

1) Pietrangelo
2) Suter/Carle
3) Shattenkirk
4) Jackman
5) Colaiacovo
6) Polak
7) Huskins
8) (PEO) Russell
9) (PEO) Cole

..Id hope doing this wouldnt suggest we are done with committing to Coles development. I still see him as an NHL dman soon.

And ofcourse
1a) Halak
1b) Elliott

Flame Away

Old
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Issue with Carlo is that some team is going to offer him too much money/years for the Blues to feel comfortable matching. He would be a very good #7 but...eh.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
dao256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Issue with Carlo is that some team is going to offer him too much money/years for the Blues to feel comfortable matching. He would be a very good #7 but...eh.
Then what happens is Huskins gets more playing time a result. Im okay with that. That would open the next question though, with Polak and Huskins both being defensive minded, would Russell be a better fit with Polak? I suppose if things stay the same as they are right now, Huskins could potentially be up on the #1 pairing to start next year... him and Petro have looked good together

Old
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

There's a zero chance of adding a UFA like Suter and signing Jackman and re-signing Colaiacovo. Colaiacovo makes too much money for the return. The fact that Hitchcock benched him for two games when healthy over Russell should be telling as far as how cemented Russell is with that Polak pairing. Hitch uses their specific mix of skills in a very specific way in his system. In the NHL, Colaiacovo is just a guy. Not terrible, not special.

Jackman has been so strong this year that he's the Whipping Boy Who Wasn't. He will likely return on the same contract, considering his level of play when not being overexposed with 22+ minutes a night (20 is perfect). If the issue is Huskins at 1M or Colaiacovo at 2.5M it's not a contest. They might both be gone and have Cole play. It's either time to get him in the lineup regularly or trade him. I could see either.

I could also see them starting the year by doing little. They could well start out like this on D:

Cole (ELC) Pietrangelo (ELC)
Jackman (3.6) Shattenkirk (ELC)
Russell (1.3) Polak (2.75)
Huskins (1.0)

Fairchild in Peoria as a callup, maybe add a 9th player who can come up, maybe they give Ponich a look or two when injuries strike.

The operating theory here is they really give Cole a chance to play as a regular from the start of the season. Remember how Polak broke in? 19 games his first year, 6 games his next, then a regular in his third year of his ELC. Cole and Polak aren't the worst comparison. Both use their strength and mobility well. Polak is a bit bigger and faster, Cole has better offensive instincts.

The Blues will win a bunch of regular season games with that lineup. Whether that's how they go to the playoffs is another question. Cole's value as a trade chip would increase, and it's also entirely possible he turns out to be good. With the Blues on a budget, acquiring that bigger LD piece mid or most of the way through the season might make more financial sense.

Obviously if a player like Suter saw a situation he liked here (partnered with Pietrangelo is not a bad situation for any defenseman anywhere in the NHL), then of course you do that, and then you can use Cole as your 7th or re-sign Huskins. But we have to assume Suter isn't likely to happen, for all the multiple reasons we've already discussed and don't need rehashing.

Up front (using cap hits for ease):

Steen (3.36) Backes (4.5) Oshie (3.75)
McDonald (4.7) Berglund (2.25) Perron (3.75)
D'Agostini (1.65) Arnott (2.5) Tarasenko (ELC)
Crombeen (1.0) Sobotka (1.3) Reaves (0.6)
Grachev (.816), Porter (0.6) pending how Stewart's situation is resolved & D'Ags' health

Unknown: Stewart (3.25 QO)

Halak (3.75)
Elliott (1.8)

I think if they sign Tarasenko, Schwartz inks his pro contract, and they qualify Stewart, they don't have to be too active in free agency. They can see if folks like Suter, Parise, Grabovski are interested (if Grabovski signs, Arnott doesn't). I don't think this is a team any longer who will have trouble attracting or retaining free agents. It's a really good situation to come to, whether you're a vet like Arnott or Huskins or a prime-ager.

As long as this franchise keeps hitting with its first rounders and some later picks they should be able to maintain franchise stability and competitiveness for awhile w/o worrying about losing guys for money. I would not be shocked to see Stewart traded for a 1st rounder + quality bottom sixer. Heck, once McClement signs w/COL we can trade Stewart back for McClement and a 1st (trade then being EJ for Shattenkirk and Rattie).

Old
02-22-2012, 03:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
this is exactly what I mean when I say he gets criminally underrated by Blues fans

Old
02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
There's a zero chance of adding a UFA like Suter and signing Jackman and re-signing Colaiacovo. Colaiacovo makes too much money for the return. The fact that Hitchcock benched him for two games when healthy over Russell should be telling as far as how cemented Russell is with that Polak pairing. Hitch uses their specific mix of skills in a very specific way in his system. In the NHL, Colaiacovo is just a guy. Not terrible, not special.

Jackman has been so strong this year that he's the Whipping Boy Who Wasn't. He will likely return on the same contract, considering his level of play when not being overexposed with 22+ minutes a night (20 is perfect). If the issue is Huskins at 1M or Colaiacovo at 2.5M it's not a contest. They might both be gone and have Cole play. It's either time to get him in the lineup regularly or trade him. I could see either.

I could also see them starting the year by doing little. They could well start out like this on D:

Cole (ELC) Pietrangelo (ELC)
Jackman (3.6) Shattenkirk (ELC)
Russell (1.3) Polak (2.75)
Huskins (1.0)

Fairchild in Peoria as a callup, maybe add a 9th player who can come up, maybe they give Ponich a look or two when injuries strike.

The operating theory here is they really give Cole a chance to play as a regular from the start of the season. Remember how Polak broke in? 19 games his first year, 6 games his next, then a regular in his third year of his ELC. Cole and Polak aren't the worst comparison. Both use their strength and mobility well. Polak is a bit bigger and faster, Cole has better offensive instincts.

The Blues will win a bunch of regular season games with that lineup. Whether that's how they go to the playoffs is another question. Cole's value as a trade chip would increase, and it's also entirely possible he turns out to be good. With the Blues on a budget, acquiring that bigger LD piece mid or most of the way through the season might make more financial sense.

Obviously if a player like Suter saw a situation he liked here (partnered with Pietrangelo is not a bad situation for any defenseman anywhere in the NHL), then of course you do that, and then you can use Cole as your 7th or re-sign Huskins. But we have to assume Suter isn't likely to happen, for all the multiple reasons we've already discussed and don't need rehashing.

Up front (using cap hits for ease):

Steen (3.36) Backes (4.5) Oshie (3.75)
McDonald (4.7) Berglund (2.25) Perron (3.75)
D'Agostini (1.65) Arnott (2.5) Tarasenko (ELC)
Crombeen (1.0) Sobotka (1.3) Reaves (0.6)
Grachev (.816), Porter (0.6) pending how Stewart's situation is resolved & D'Ags' health

Unknown: Stewart (3.25 QO)

Halak (3.75)
Elliott (1.8)

I think if they sign Tarasenko, Schwartz inks his pro contract, and they qualify Stewart, they don't have to be too active in free agency. They can see if folks like Suter, Parise, Grabovski are interested (if Grabovski signs, Arnott doesn't). I don't think this is a team any longer who will have trouble attracting or retaining free agents. It's a really good situation to come to, whether you're a vet like Arnott or Huskins or a prime-ager.

As long as this franchise keeps hitting with its first rounders and some later picks they should be able to maintain franchise stability and competitiveness for awhile w/o worrying about losing guys for money. I would not be shocked to see Stewart traded for a 1st rounder + quality bottom sixer. Heck, once McClement signs w/COL we can trade Stewart back for McClement and a 1st (trade then being EJ for Shattenkirk and Rattie).

Pretty spot on imo.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Jason Garrison, UFA. Shutdown all-situation defender, truly one of the best defenders in the league, absolute potent bomb of a shot.

If the Blues paid him 5M I'd call it a great signing. If they could get him for high 4s even better, but he won't go lower than that and shouldn't.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Jason Garrison, UFA. Shutdown all-situation defender, truly one of the best defenders in the league, absolute potent bomb of a shot.

If the Blues paid him 5M I'd call it a great signing. If they could get him for high 4s even better, but he won't go lower than that and shouldn't.
Haven't seen much of him, is he really that good? I know he wanted big bucks, but his version of big bucks should be affordable for us, assuming we actually get new owners.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
BadgersandBlues

I've been watching some Florida games this year, and I've been impressed with Garrison. His shot is honestly MacInnis-like (and I don't say that lightly) and he is a big dude who can play in all situations. (Averaged about 2:30 mins of PK and PP time in a game, as well as 18:30 mins of ES time) The one thing I would say is a bit inflated is his goal total. He has a shooting % of like 10%, which is super high for a D-man. So I'm not sure if he will provide a huge jump in offense for the Blues, but he would sure be a solid consolation prize if we don't win the Ryan Suter Sweepstakes (TM)

Old
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Well that is one thing we haven't had since the Pronger-MacInnis days, a huge booming shot that finds the net. Johnson had a big shot, but it always got blocked. Pietrangelo has a nice shot, but I wouldn't put it in the booming category.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'd be surprised if Florida didn't make it a priority to sign him. They shouldn't have the issues Nashville does in signing Suter. They're the team that gave him his chance so he might reward them. At the same time if they don't give him a strong offer he'd be dumb not to go straight to UFA because a LOT of teams will be interested. He's big, physical, rock solid defensively and he can join the rush and unload that shot. It is really an incredible shot. He's pretty much exactly what we've been looking for and talking about all year. He can play tons of minutes and play against any forward lines and play all situations.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I'd be surprised if Florida didn't make it a priority to sign him. They shouldn't have the issues Nashville does in signing Suter. They're the team that gave him his chance so he might reward them. At the same time if they don't give him a strong offer he'd be dumb not to go straight to UFA because a LOT of teams will be interested. He's big, physical, rock solid defensively and he can join the rush and unload that shot. It is really an incredible shot. He's pretty much exactly what we've been looking for and talking about all year. He can play tons of minutes and play against any forward lines and play all situations.
I knew about the shot, but didn't realize he was that strong defensively as well. They have some players coming off the books, like Wolski and Sturm, so it is likely that they end up resigning him, but hopefully he hits the market.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
this is exactly what I mean when I say he gets criminally underrated by Blues fans
Having watched Carlo for the rest of the season, is this your final answer?

Closed Thread