HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Worst Season in team History?

Old
02-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
ok, after some research....

in 1939-1940 we was the lasts team of the league ranking out of 7 teams.

So this season is definitely not the worst in this team history.....
Actually, if we were last out of seventh, that means that out of 30 teams we would have been anywhere from last to 4.28th last. Obviously the number doesn't work, but 7 teams is a much smaller sample.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:39 AM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Or best pick in team history?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:52 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
5% of players have us as their #1 destination to play in, not too bad.

But it may seem weird but I'm actually a lot more excited about the team now than I was last year. Last year kind of seemed like a fluke that we got in as opposed to this year where it seems like a fluke that we won't make it. Pretty excited for next year though! Hopefully our draft pick works out!
Sure, but what 5%? Are there any in there that are star players that can help the team. I think a lot will have to do with Markov and what the team does exactly. Do they bring him back? Do they trade him? In the end they have to move forward one way or another.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Lshap

The worst season? Nah -- I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen Stanley Cups that I thought would never end. I've seen awful times with defense that couldn't defend. But a top-5 pick and soon we will contend.

Chill, gentlemen. Think of this as a long pre-season to 2012/13.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:29 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
The worst season? Nah -- I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen Stanley Cups that I thought would never end. I've seen awful times with defense that couldn't defend. But a top-5 pick and soon we will contend.

Chill, gentlemen. Think of this as a long pre-season to 2012/13.
what does that mean? Maybe I'm reading it wrong....
Torturous Stanley Cup wins?
You're complaining about past Cup wins??

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
what does that mean? Maybe I'm reading it wrong....
Torturous Stanley Cup wins?
You're complaining about past Cup wins??
Not complaining; just sharing my perspective and skirting copyright laws. I was a little kid when I started watching the team in the late 60s. They won 7 Cups in my first decade as a fan. So yeah, it DID seem like the parades would never end.

Believe it or not, I prefer today's era of parity. Looking back, something was lost when you knew the end of the story before the book begins.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:53 AM
optimus2861

This is not the worst in my memory - 98/99 probably takes that prize - but this may be the most disappointing. For whatever reason, the team just has not competed on many nights and has let way too many points slip away without a fight. On paper, this team did not look this bad going into the season. It still doesn't look like it should be a 14th place team in the conference. Yet here we are. Dismal home record, putrid power play, more blown leads than I can remember, and the injury troubles.

This season goes right into the garbage can.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
zzoo

I still can't believe that the season is over that early
Even in dark period, we battle till the end. We were eliminated in the last 10 games.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Not complaining; just sharing my perspective and skirting copyright laws. I was a little kid when I started watching the team in the late 60s. They won 7 Cups in my first decade as a fan. So yeah, it DID seem like the parades would never end.

Believe it or not, I prefer today's era of parity. Looking back, something was lost when you knew the end of the story before the book begins.
I see where you're coming from - I still think a successful parity equates to reaching the conference final more than once in nearly 2 decades...

Maybe a Cup or 2 in their? Maybe a few final losses?

Habs have been nothing but below parity.

Mecca / 24 cup wins, big market, most passionate fans... etc..

Does that come in play at all? I think it should. Sure there's 30 teams, but, how many are struggling financially? How many play to empty buildings? (yes, we can think of faults of Montreal, but overall, it should be an advantage, given the existing dynamics of the NHL, and what this sport means to this city and province)

This team should be an example of how it's possible to still compete for 1st in any even given year, despite the parity... Sure, it'll most likely fall-short of its quest, or have a few years of failure, but again, 1 conference run in 19 years is failure to even reach parity.

Not sure how I could prefer this over the non-mystery and routine of winning, year after year.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Actually, if we were last out of seventh, that means that out of 30 teams we would have been anywhere from last to 4.28th last. Obviously the number doesn't work, but 7 teams is a much smaller sample.
Interesting point. As i say..let way until the final ranking and we could debate about the math

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:

i prefer the parity now as well but, they gotta do better than what they've been doing since the last cup

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
axman88

It won't be the worst season in history if we get the 1st or 2nd overall pick....

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

We can look at it positively:

-We'll have the best pick in recent history... Our last real great offensive star was a number 1 pick (Guy Lafleur).

-There's lots of parity in the league, and we're not recent Columbus, NYI or Edmonton bad.

-We've had some nice surprises this season to build on: MaxPac-Desharnais-Cole, Eller and Emelin.

-We can build on a strong foundation by flipping UFAs and vets that aren't in the plans to fill our coffers with picks and prospects.

-I think we can take advantage of the situation and be competitive quickly.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Our highest skaters picked since our last cup were late Top-10 picks:

Highest forward: #8 - Terry Ryan
Highest defenseman: #7 - Mike Komisarek.

A high Top-10 picks (3-4-5...) hit/miss rate is higher and the skill level you can expect is more interesting.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
It won't be the worst season in history if we get the 1st or 2nd overall pick....
It will for some as it's going to be the longest off season I can remember, not looking forward to a very very long summer.

Plus from the little i've seen this appears to be one of the worst years to suck as this draft doesn't seem very exciting.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It will for some as it's going to be the longest off season I can remember, not looking forward to a very very long summer.

Plus from the little i've seen this appears to be one of the worst years to suck as this draft doesn't seem very exciting.
I disagree, I'll be looking forward to this off season because there will be a lot of moves to be done. New coach, draft (THE most exciting part), ufa period... etc. Not to mention the upcoming trade deadline.

Even if we are having probably the most disappointing season in a while, at least we are terrible enough to finally blow it up in a way and for that I am glad and optimistic about the future considering the pieces we already have.

As for the draft itself, I fully trust Timmins with a lottery pick, don't you?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

there's also that but remember the last 'really bad draft year'? 2007? well we cleaned that one out

so you never know, i have faith in timmins

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
jwolf

Look on the bright side, lads: this team is going to be a lot better next year. With the core that is already in place, added to which a top 5 pick and possibly Andre "Where's Waldo" Markov, I think we are back in the show in 12-13.
This team is not as bad as their record (last night's game notwithstanding). With a new coaching and management philosophy, this team will bounce back!
On the other hand, if they keep Gauthier and opt for the status quo, all bets are off...

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I disagree, I'll be looking forward to this off season because there will be a lot of moves to be done. New coach, draft (THE most exciting part), ufa period... etc. Not to mention the upcoming trade deadline.

Even if we are having probably the most disappointing season in a while, at least we are terrible enough to finally blow it up in a way and for that I am glad and optimistic about the future considering the pieces we already have.

As for the draft itself, I fully trust Timmins with a lottery pick, don't you?
Well I don't expect much on the UFA market, since I would think not many UFA's will not to sign here after such a poor season. As for the new coach/GM, we'll see if that happens or not as I don't know where this team is headed.

I actually don't think we are really blowing it up, trading Gill is more of a minor move imo. Granted we'll see what happens by Monday and that will be interesting, but really I'm talking more about having to sit around waiting from March till October, this season for me is going to sting in a big way for a long time.

Personally i'm one of the fans that making the playoffs is everything, if you don't make the playoffs, you can't win the cup and you are the laughing stock of the league which makes for a long summer around here (makes me think of the bad days back in the late '90's and early '00's)

As for the draft, from what i've seen, i'm not impressed with anyone, and while Timmins has done a great job getting picks that make the NHL, I worry about where this team is headed for next year and no draft pick imo is going to improve our crappy, soft as hell defense imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
there's also that but remember the last 'really bad draft year'? 2007? well we cleaned that one out

so you never know, i have faith in timmins
Actually I don't recall the '07 draft as being that bad going into it. I know from what i've heard next year is now being hyped to no end for being a great draft, but my concerns are more about next season not what we do at the draft this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Look on the bright side, lads: this team is going to be a lot better next year. With the core that is already in place, added to which a top 5 pick and possibly Andre "Where's Waldo" Markov, I think we are back in the show in 12-13.
This team is not as bad as their record (last night's game notwithstanding). With a new coaching and management philosophy, this team will bounce back!
On the other hand, if they keep Gauthier and opt for the status quo, all bets are off...
That's my point, no one knows what direction we are headed in, until we see what changes are going to be made, there is no bright side imo. A top 5 pick doesn't help us much next year imo

Old
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
j52

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Or best pick in team history?
That would be Lafleur, and he took several years to develop on a team that had future hall of fame players on it. We won't be picking a Lafleur despite how low we go. Also, one player can't turn a team around.
This is not a team on the cusp. Too many fans rate the Habs players too highly. Every team has 3 or 4 young players who are good -not stars, not superstars, just good players. This team has many holes, and management doesn't seem to know how, or want to correct the problems. Molson makes a bundle on sales and spin off sales whether he ices a winner or not. The Habs, have, alas, become the Leafs -a perpetual money maker that never comes close to winning.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Habs

My Rugby coach used to say 'You have to go through a little hell to get to heaven'

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My Rugby coach used to say 'You have to go through a little hell to get to heaven'
so do you consider 19+ years a little hell?

Old
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Too many fans rate the Habs players too highly. Every team has 3 or 4 young players who are good -not stars, not superstars, just good players.
This is very true, and so does management, hence the money paid out to a player like Josh Gorges. Look at the money thrown around on this roster, it's disgusting.

From Cammy, to Gionta... we aren't getting our money's worth. Now we throw Bourque into the mix, Kaberle and we have a new group of players who fit into the team's future.
Maybe it's not the roster I hate, as much as the salaries dished out in this league.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
What? You're hoping that you'll stop watching hockey or that Habs fold or relocate?
I see what you did there.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Team sucks this year, but they don't suck more than all the other years of suck. Personally, I'd prefer a season of disappointment which comes with a high pick rather than a season of disappointment which comes with an early playoff exit. Definitely agree with everyone saying you have to suffer a little to get to the top.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote