HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Deadline Goalies

Old
02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
tlkamps

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Goalies

There has been quite a lot of talk during the past week about the Flyers making a move for a goalie. Obviously considering our current situation it stands to reason that it will most likely be a backup goalie. I am not saying that the speculation has legs, but just that a logical person can see that our goalie situation is not the most stable.

If this speculation of the Flyers being interested in the goalie market is true, who do you think they are going to target? Personally it doesnt make sense to make a push for Bernier/Schneider/Harding, just because of our $51 million dollar shooter tutor. Makes most sense to go for veteran, who will come at a cheaper cap hit.

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Kaktus*

Hmm... Really? Did not see a single thread.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
no, don't get anyone

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
tlkamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Hmm... Really? Did not see a single thread.
There is a thread regarding the Flyers' goaltending situation on the main forum. Goaltending also comes up in many of the rumor threads regarding the Flyers and potential trade partners. The Avs interested in JVR, the trade for Bernier thread are the ones that come to mind now.

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Using more assets to acquire another goalie?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
PJStock*

The only veteran goalie I'd consider bringing in would be Giguere and perhaps Nabakov as a very last resort if the goaltending really ***** the bed in the next couple games. Giggy played with Bryz in Anaheim when they won the cup. Not sure what their relationship is and Giguere still has one year left on his contract after this one. Regardless, he'd be a pretty good option as a backup. Bobrovsky could be shipped out for picks/prospect.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
The only veteran goalie I'd consider bringing in would be Giguere and perhaps Nabakov as a very last resort if the goaltending really ***** the bed in the next couple games. Giggy played with Bryz in Anaheim when they won the cup. Not sure what their relationship is and Giguere still has one year left on his contract after this one. Regardless, he'd be a pretty good option as a backup. Bobrovsky could be shipped out for picks/prospect.
JvR and a 1st for EJ and Jiggy.

Bob for a 1st to anyone.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
ORYX

No thanks. Let them figure it out for themselves. If goaltending is still an issue in the offseason then I'd prefer not to waste assets now trying for a quick fix instead of a real fix later on.

I think once the new d settle in we will see better goaltending.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

disagree completely. we SHOULD make a move for a high upside young goaltender who could potentially become a franchise goaltender and grow with our young core. Bernier or Schneider are the two we should be looking at. Move bobrovsky, and when Bernier/Schneider get to that level, buyout Bryz or do whatever possible to get him out of here.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
mirimon

No, as bad as our goalies have been lately I hope we stay pat with them. Bryzgalov is a better goalie than he's shown this season, he will get better (even though he will never live up to that contract), of that I am fairly confident. Bobrovsky is a struggling sophomore goalie. He's not the first of those. No need to panic and sell low (assuming Bobrovsky would be going the other way if we trade for Nabokov or someone else).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We should move bobrovsky and see what the market is willing to pay for him. A late first would be a great pick-up for this young team going forward.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bobrovsky is a struggling sophomore goalie. He's not the first of those. No need to panic and sell low (assuming Bobrovsky would be going the other way if we trade for Nabokov or someone else).
Agreed! With the contract length our starter has, he will inevitably be dealt - but don't sell low because he is in a funk now.

I have seen his name in countless rumours, both because of our situation and his potential - believe there would be a market, don't just give players away.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We should move bobrovsky and see what the market is willing to pay for him. A late first would be a great pick-up for this young team going forward.
I've been saying this for a while. They should really trade him for whatever anyone will give. Not that he is a bad goalie, but he's likely not re-signing here and I doubt his raise will be high enough to get any serious picks for compensation when he signs elsewhere.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:37 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I've been saying this for a while. They should really trade him for whatever anyone will give. Not that he is a bad goalie, but he's likely not re-signing here and I doubt his raise will be high enough to get any serious picks for compensation when he signs elsewhere.
so then why trade him this year? he's an RFA next year. Hold onto him and move him next year

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so then why trade him this year? he's an RFA next year. Hold onto him and move him next year
Six of one half dozen of the other. His value is not likely to increase between now and then. It's just as likely they get less for him next year than they would have this year and vice versa. If someone calls up and offers a first, take it because that phone call might not come next year.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
No, as bad as our goalies have been lately I hope we stay pat with them. Bryzgalov is a better goalie than he's shown this season, he will get better (even though he will never live up to that contract), of that I am fairly confident. Bobrovsky is a struggling sophomore goalie. He's not the first of those. No need to panic and sell low (assuming Bobrovsky would be going the other way if we trade for Nabokov or someone else).
As long as Jeff Reese is his goalie coach I don't see him getting better. His game has regressed quite a as the season has gone on. Between that regression and Bryzgalov's aBryzmal play Reese has to be held accountable.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Giguere, who is almost 2 years younger than Nabokov, won't cost you in excess of a 2nd Rd. pick. Makes $1.25M through the end of next season. Currently 14W-11L, 2.13 GAA, 0.923 SV%. Very low risk, high reward-type move. The Flyers would have someone a little more solid than Bobrovsky to fall back on should Bryzgalov lay an egg in Philly's playoff opener.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Mgkibbles

I'd only be interested in acquiring Nabakov, letting him and Bryzgalov battle it out, and send Bob to the AHL so he's playing consistently. I still have faith in Bob to become a number one goalie, and trading for someone like Bernier seems like a meaningless move to me.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Six of one half dozen of the other. His value is not likely to increase between now and then. It's just as likely they get less for him next year than they would have this year and vice versa. If someone calls up and offers a first, take it because that phone call might not come next year.
I kind of agree with this. I don't support the notion by some to go out and get a young franchise goalie when we've got Bob and Bryz.

At the moment Bryz would COST us to get rid of him and certainly isnt playing to his ability. We have to keep him for that reason, as well as maintaining an image as a hockey club that after you get signed if you have a bad season consider yourself as good as gone. You think big free agents will want to come here seeing Richards, Carter and then Bryz all signed to long contracts then dumped somewhere? Not likely.

If you can get a first for Bob, absolutely take that deal. Otherwise there is no need to move him. Don't just make a goaltending move for the sake of it. Trade him for a first if its available, and either package our 2 firsts to move up (depending the placement of both) or stand pat, pick a d-man with both, or maybe that young Russian goalie is available or Malcolm Subban. With bryz contract, if he even plays well, we must keep him. No one will want him with 6-7 years left, maybe 4.

collect a second 1st and our 2nd becomes more expendable, could nab someone like Giggy or Nabokov, two guys with alot of playoff experience to help the cause.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Breeze 44

They need to bring Mitch Korn ( Nashville ) in as our goalie coach. I spoke with him when Biron came here and he was told by the Flyers then that they were going to stick with Lemelin (mistake). Just look at the goalies under him and who he's coached in the past and you'll see the man is a guru!! He also had one of the funniest lines as when he was explaining how he has lasted as long as he has having Never played goalie at a high level he said

" I have to work harder than the rest, there's only one other 5'4" jew in the league ...and he runs it" we all cracked up, but that man nows his #$@*

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I'd only be interested in acquiring Nabakov, letting him and Bryzgalov battle it out, and send Bob to the AHL so he's playing consistently. I still have faith in Bob to become a number one goalie, and trading for someone like Bernier seems like a meaningless move to me.
i'd do the same thing cept swap Bob for Bryz.

seriously

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
King Fish

Could Harding, Bernier, or Schneider take us farther this year in the playoffs than either of our two goalies? That is the question. If the answer is yes then you must move Bob so Bryz can sit. I'm not sure which of the three is better though. After how hard we battled last night, if we would have lost I think the team would have murdered Bryz!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
King Fish

Now that I look at the numbers, what would it take to get Schneider out of Vancouver?

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Now that I look at the numbers, what would it take to get Schneider out of Vancouver?
More than the flyers have to offer.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

No point going for another goalie, vet or not, unless we can find someone to take Bryz off our hands.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote