HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread V

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
vecens24

vCash: 500
Well TDMM looks like I wouldn't have been trading with you anyway as Nesterenko was my guy. Back to the drawing board I guess. I really wanted Nesterenko because he would have been a perfect fit with Keon, and because he was in the movie that my team name is named for as Rob Lowe's father! You suck nik lol

Old
02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Boo!!! Still miss on him this draft!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Well TDMM looks like I wouldn't have been trading with you anyway as Nesterenko was my guy. Back to the drawing board I guess. I really wanted Nesterenko because he would have been a perfect fit with Keon, and because he was in the movie that my team name is named for as Rob Lowe's father! You suck nik lol
he was also a hell of a singer.

Last edited by nik jr: 02-22-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He's big, physical, defensively smart and great on thye PP. At this point that's just not available any other way.
things like physicality and defense are better when established over a longer length of time, too. Much like offensive value, I don't think that it's just something that's either there or not there.

example: I was strongly considering Cal Clutterbuck as a 4th liner in the A draft for his physicality. In the end I couldn't do it when there were guys with full careers of physicality and toughness.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Was Robert really that gritty? Thats a bonus for me.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:31 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Was Robert really that gritty? Thats a bonus for me.
He wasn't overly big but he was an energizer bunny and won a lot of board battles for the puck.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
He wasn't overly big but he was an energizer bunny and won a lot of board battles for the puck.
Yeah, thats the vision I had in mind as well. He will fit like a glove on our 2nd line with his buddy Rick Martin and Igor.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Swamp Devils select Hod's "little" brother, Bruce Stuart, F

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pittsburgh Press, March 8, 1907
Bruce Stuart is not any more lamblike than his brother Hod. The Stuart boys never run away from trouble.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...e+stuart&hl=en

Stuart is huge (at 6'2, he was the tallest hockey player in his era), fast, physical, a great leader, and a clutch scorer. He's exactly what a pair of highly skilled but small players like Russell Bowie and Martin St. Louis need on their left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Stuart is considered to be an early power forward, a forward who combines physical play with scoring ability, in hockey history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Stuart could well be considered one of the first power forwards of the game. Standing over six feet tall, he was a large man for his era, and it should not go unnoticed that his statistical totals included 162 penalty minutes over the same three-year period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
He was an all-round player, capable of playing any of the forward positions although he excelled as a rover due to his excellent skating abilities.
  • First Team All Star (WPHL) in 1902, First Team All Star (IHL) in 1906, Second Team All Star (IHL) in 1907
  • Regularly captained his teams in the IHL
  • Won a Stanley Cup with the Montreal Wanderers in 1908
  • Sighed by the Ottawa Senators after winning with the Wanderers
  • Captained the 1909 Senators to the Stanley Cup, their first Cup since Silver Seven stopped dominating in 1906.
  • After the Senators lost the Cup in 1910 to the Wanderers, Bruce Stuart, as captain, was "given free hand in the selection of players for next winter." (Source)
  • Stuart captained his handpicked team to another Cup win in 1911.

Inducted into the HHOF in 1961

Stuart was a big, rough man, but he was also capable of handling the puck:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette, Jan 7, 1909
Play was becoming rough, players from both sides getting after each other, apparently to settle old grudges, particularly Smith and Stuart. Stuart's face was covered with blood, but he continued to mix it up roughly until he was sent off for five minutes for dropping Smith with a crosscheck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette, Feb 1, 1909
Ottawa in the first half looked better than at any time this season. Bruce Stuart played his best game of the year and was really the star of the Ottawa team in the night's play. He worked without a letup, although evidently suffering from his bad knee in the second half. He was the best puck carrier for Ottawa and bored in more successfully than any forward on the ice. Walsh and Stuart made a dangerous pair in mid-ice.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
things like physicality and defense are better when established over a longer length of time, too. Much like offensive value, I don't think that it's just something that's either there or not there.

example: I was strongly considering Cal Clutterbuck as a 4th liner in the A draft for his physicality. In the end I couldn't do it when there were guys with full careers of physicality and toughness.
While true, most players now have some other downside. A big tough defensive d-man now probably has crummy puck skills. We are at the point now where there's a cost to ever perk.

02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Now would be a good time to volunteer for the next thread.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Rob Scuderi

I can post it

Old
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
vecens24

Okay, we're just going to close this one down now then while there is seemingly a lull in the action. Nothing worse than having to change threads when looking back on things that are mid discussion .

Closed Thread