HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Phaneuf nails Parise then fights Clarkson

Old
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Leafs feed.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
Not a bad fight I thought, given Dion's fights are generally pretty boring.

Thought the hit was borderline, props to clarkson for standing up as well.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Clarkson got the advantage on that one.

For Phaneuf's size he's a pretty bad fighter. He lost one against Kovalchuk too.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Jmo89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

Except Phaneuf fought after a clean hit against Ottawa and some people here are getting mad at Clarkson for doing the same thing.
The thread still has nothing to do with Ottawa.

Quote:

Joffrey. Lupul.
I don't think Clarkson is a scrub, and IMO it's stupid to call him one, but comparing him to Lupul is pretty foolish.

Lupul has had 50 or more points twice (prior to this season) and 20 or more goals three times (prior to this season). He also had another 46 point season in 56 GP. He has had one bad healthy season, which was with Edmonton, had a poor season due to health (which nearly ended his career) and had 31 points in 54 games last year after returning from injury and being traded (his points were split between Anaheim and Toronto). At 61 points this season, fully healthy, and playing 1st line minutes, he really isn't playing that far out of his realm, or what was expected of him when he was drafted.

Clarkson has had a career high 32 points and 17 goals prior to this season. Lupul had 34 points (13 G) in his rookie season, and 28 points (Edmonton) in his worse healthy season. They're not even close. Clarkson serves his role for NJ and I am sure NJ fans are happy with him and their place in the standings.

Once again, good job offering little to no meaningful discussion. Oh, and just like the thread isn't about Ottawa, it's not about Lupul either.

To go on topic or a moment; weak hit and weak fight. Really don't think a thread was necessary. That's just my opinion, though.

Jmo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

people saying Phaneuf should remove his visor before that fight are ridiculous. He threw a clean hit and got challenged for it.

I hate players running round looking for trouble with visors on, but he shouldn't have to remove his bucket just because he throws a hit and the modern NHL requires everyone to drop'em everytime they bump into each other.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

And here we go, the battle of the fans! lol.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
Clarkson got the advantage on that one.

For Phaneuf's size he's a pretty bad fighter. He lost one against Kovalchuk too.
I don't recall him ever losing to Kovy. They fought and it was pretty fair IIRC.

Also, you realize that Phaneuf is 6'2 220, while Kovy is 6'3 230?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't recall him ever losing to Kovy. They fought and it was pretty fair IIRC.

Also, you realize that Phaneuf is 6'2 220, while Kovy is 6'3 230?
Phaneuf 6'3"

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Parise is such a pansy

Stays on the ice like if he got shot then laughs it off at the bench
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Clarkson is really getting overrated here

Its his first really good season lets not talk about him being any more then a 3rd line until he shows his consistent enough
This isn't his first good season. He scored 17 goals In 2008-2009. 2 years ago he would have hit the 20 goal mark had he not gotten injured. He had 11 goals in 46 games. Last year he had a terrible year, but so did many others offensively.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
Ranger fan here and Clarkson won that one. I can't believe those announcers. Clarkson landed a good 3 before Phaneuf did and all they see is Phaneuf landing punches...

Flame away.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:09 AM
apice3*

My take:

Clean hit, border line interference. Looked like he caught him in the face though. At first glance, I thought it was an elbow too, so I'm sure some players on the Devils thought the same way.

The Devils are not a team that goes around brawling after big hits. Unlike the Flyers, for example. All season they've been the brunt of big hits, especially to rookie Adam Larsson. They never overreact. I think Clarkson viewed the hit as dirty at quick glance and responded accordingly.

As for the visor issue, don't be stupid. Fighting with a visor is cowardly when the player with the visor is challenging for a fight. Phaneuf continuously said no to fighting. It's not like he was taunting a player into a fight. Phaneuf shouldn't have to take his helmet off for a fight he doesn't want to be in.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Man Bear Pig

Funny how no matter what Dion does in this situation opposing fans while whine. He didn't take his visor off when he clearly didn't want to fight! he's using his knuckles to hit that guy in the face! did you see that? was that an elbow? was that an elbow? I think I saw an elbow. No, I definitely saw an elbow. There was a clear elbow based on the crest on his jersey and the name on the back. What if Parise nailed one of the Leafs and Colton Orr or Mike Brown came over and tried to fight him? would you want your prized pig taking his visor off for doing nothing illegal? Would you want Parise to risk slamming his head on the ice?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

you mean like Kovalchuk does in every fight? find those threads and act like we're hypocrites

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
My take:

Clean hit, border line interference. Looked like he caught him in the face though. At first glance, I thought it was an elbow too, so I'm sure some players on the Devils thought the same way.

The Devils are not a team that goes around brawling after big hits. Unlike the Flyers, for example. All season they've been the brunt of big hits, especially to rookie Adam Larsson. They never overreact. I think Clarkson viewed the hit as dirty at quick glance and responded accordingly.

As for the visor issue, don't be stupid. Fighting with a visor is cowardly when the player with the visor is challenging for a fight. Phaneuf continuously said no to fighting. It's not like he was taunting a player into a fight. Phaneuf shouldn't have to take his helmet off for a fight he doesn't want to be in.
Good take & I largely agree Ė really good point on the Devils not overreacting to big hits, specifically the Subban hit on Larsson.

Canít really complain about the way things played out Ė at first glance, it appeared to be a bit of a late hit & possibly an elbow. Have to remember the hit also occurred in the corner on the same side of the ice as the Devils bench, so they may not have had the best view. But when the captain is slow to get up like that on a borderline play, you have to like a guy like Clarkson challenging Phaneuf. For his part, Dion didnít want to go probably because he didnít think he did anything wrong, but did eventually answer the bell. Canít really fault him for not removing his helmet when he probably felt he didnít need to drop the gloves for the hit on Parise. Shouldíve probably been an interference call on Phaneuf, but again it was borderline Ė Clarkson deserved the extra 2. No problem with how the whole situation played itself out.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Good take & I largely agree – really good point on the Devils not overreacting to big hits, specifically the Subban hit on Larsson.

Can’t really complain about the way things played out – at first glance, it appeared to be a bit of a late hit & possibly an elbow. Have to remember the hit also occurred in the corner on the same side of the ice as the Devils bench, so they may not have had the best view. But when the captain is slow to get up like that on a borderline play, you have to like a guy like Clarkson challenging Phaneuf. For his part, Dion didn’t want to go probably because he didn’t think he did anything wrong, but did eventually answer the bell. Can’t really fault him for not removing his helmet when he probably felt he didn’t need to drop the gloves for the hit on Parise. Should’ve probably been an interference call on Phaneuf, but again it was borderline – Clarkson deserved the extra 2. No problem with how the whole situation played itself out.
I don't even know why people are getting at Phaneuf not taking his helmet off. Clarkson went after him, and Phaneuf wanted no part in it, he's the captain, he plays minutes a night.. but eventually does a get outta here type of slap or tried to bear hug him or something and then they're in a scrap.

I don't see why a visor wearing player should take his helmet off and put himself at a disadvantage when his attacker, who knows he's already picked up the instigator penalty (or at least roughing) hasn't taken his helmet off.

Reminded me of the Phaneuf-Horton fight, a commentator said Horton shamed him into it, except Phaneuf probably should and could have taken his helmet off there.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

lol people seriously complaining about Phaneuf not taking off his visor when Clarkson is right in his face...Clarkson would have decked him as soon as he took his gloves off to remove the helmet. The Leafs feed clearly shows he had no opportunity to do so.

Hit was fine, borderline interference at the absolute worst. Elbow? Laughable, gotta love HF.

Token clueless Sens trolls in a thread involving the Leafs as usual as well I see.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

No matter what Dion does, people will always whine and *****.

"Dion is a little ***** for not fighting after throwing big, clean, legal hits"

"Dion is a little ***** for fighting with a visor on even though he's not the one who instigated the fight and did not want to fight in the first place but was forced into it"

Quote:
Agreed about the fighting after a clean hit. However, let's not forget Dion did this not too long ago in a game against Ottawa. Foligno got him with a perfect hip check, he stayed down for a minute (after making sure the ref was calling it) and then instigated a fight against Foligno on his next shift.
Different situation. Foligno can act like a dick sometimes and if you recall Foligno was being a ***** and chirping Phaneuf after he decked him while Phaneuf was lying on the ground trying to get up, and IIRC Foligno hit him because Phaneuf made a big hit on a Sens player earlier in the game and that was Foligno's retaliation on behalf of the player. There was genuine bad blood there.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Ahhh the "take off your visor or you're not a man" arguement.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote