HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators Extend Poile and Fenton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
  #26
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Or maybe the ownership wanted to point out to our soon-to-be free agents: Hey, we have confidence in our GM and his assistant. Why don't you? We're going to do what we said we would and invest more in payroll.

I think the changes to the ticketing and the expansion of the more expensive ticket locations indicate that the Preds are trying to generate more local revenue to help them meet that payoll number.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
  #27
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I think Poile pressed for the multi yr extension because this Suter/Weber saga may, indeed, blow up in his face.
no way. Poile probably has the best job security in the NHL. In addition, he wouldnt be unemployed for more than 10 minutes if the Preds were stupid enough to fire him.

I think there may be multiple signs here... first, poile is how old? I know between Washington and here he's been at this for 30 years... Im thinking maybe he plans to retire at the end of this deal. Fenton being extended for the same length may be to keep him from bolting, with the understanding that the job is his after 3 more years.

Second, I think this is ownership telling Poile... go for it, your job is safe, make it happen...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
  #28
codeyh
HFB Partner
 
codeyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cellblock 303
Country: United States
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Feel like I heard all of that on NHL Home Ice today.. LOL

Seems like Fenton's the GM in waiting.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
  #29
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
In addition, he wouldnt be unemployed for more than 10 minutes if the Preds were stupid enough to fire him.
Despite our sometimes frustration with Poile, we'd be the laughingstock of the NHL if we fired him now.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
  #30
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no way. Poile probably has the best job security in the NHL.
He does now that he has a 3 year contract!

If he loses Suter and Weber with nothing to show for it, and we don't upgrade our offense, he would have been on the fence, IMO.

I haven't seen anyone petitioning to fire Poile now...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
  #31
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Feel like I heard all of that on NHL Home Ice today.. LOL

Seems like Fenton's the GM in waiting.
Haha really? Was Pete Weber on or something? Maybe I can moonlight as a radio hockey analyst...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
  #32
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
I wonder if executive contracts are guaranteed like player contracts. If not then this deal doesn't truly convey any added security. He could still theoretically be fired.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
  #33
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I wonder if executive contracts are guaranteed like player contracts. If not then this deal doesn't truly convey any added security. He could still theoretically be fired.
Probably not, but if you terminate a guy at the beginning of his contract, I'd imagine you'd have to pay out his remaining contract, or some other specified penalty.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
  #34
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,086
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Latest/1/42401

I know its hockeybuzz, but it's an interview with Kevin Allen of the USA Today. He talks about Poile/Preds starting at about 19:45. Very supportive of the job Poile has done. Perfect summary of how Poile is seen by the rest of the league.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
  #35
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Poile does a fantastic job surrounding himself with good people.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
  #36
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think there may be multiple signs here... first, poile is how old? I know between Washington and here he's been at this for 30 years... Im thinking maybe he plans to retire at the end of this deal. Fenton being extended for the same length may be to keep him from bolting, with the understanding that the job is his after 3 more years.
GMDP is 63

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
  #37
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
GMDP is 63
so 66 at the end of this contract... definitely retirement would be a possibility.

or maybe even a semi-retirement type situation, where Fenton become GM and Poile remains as a "senior advisor" or some such.... still would be good asset management to keep Fenton

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  #38
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
you know a few weeks ago I was wondering how DP compared to the rest of the GM's in the league... only Lamoriello, Murray and Sather are older. Average age is 53.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  #39
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
so 66 at the end of this contract... definitely retirement would be a possibility.

or maybe even a semi-retirement type situation, where Fenton become GM and Poile remains as a "senior advisor" or some such.... still would be good asset management to keep Fenton
Just hope Poile's son isn't his heir apparent

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
  #40
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Just hope Poile's son isn't his heir apparent
Im sure he eventually wants to move up but he wouldn't skip over Fenton. I could see his son being Fentons AGM with the goal being to eventually position himself for a GM spot, most likely with another org.

people on here assume he's a clueless idiot because he supposedly is the one who dropped the ball with the RFA's but Im guessing he has paid attention to his dad and isn't stupid

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
  #41
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im sure he eventually wants to move up but he wouldn't skip over Fenton. I could see his son being Fentons AGM with the goal being to eventually position himself for a GM spot, most likely with another org.

people on here assume he's a clueless idiot because he supposedly is the one who dropped the ball with the RFA's but Im guessing he has paid attention to his dad and isn't stupid
I've not met him but apparently the "Lexus ring" ticket buyers get to go to some special events and I've been told he comes off as a "look at me," used car salesman type. Hearsay of course but from someone I know who posts here and on the Preds boards.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:53 PM
  #42
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
I've not met him but apparently the "Lexus ring" ticket buyers get to go to some special events and I've been told he comes off as a "look at me," used car salesman type. Hearsay of course but from someone I know who posts here and on the Preds boards.
if thats true then we have to hope that when dad retires the son no longer has any power and moves on as well....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.