HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Aww, that's Nash-ty." Nash Rumors Part V: McKenzie says down to Rangers/Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
I have a question. What's stopping the Howson from not trading him at all? Not like this is the last year of his contract. Osi Umenyiora of the Giants demanded either a contract extension or a trade and got neither. He played great and the Giants won it all. Why not just keep Nash?

Edit: I know that the Giants weren't a last place team and that probably makes a difference.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

oh god, imagine that! we trade Kreider and he takes the UFA route just to sign back with us it would be classic.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I have a question. What's stopping the Howson from not trading him at all? Not like this is the last year of his contract. Osi Umenyiora of the Giants demanded either a contract extension or a trade and got neither. He played great and the Giants won it all. Why not just keep Nash?
Maybe CBJ's upper management is forcing it.

02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No its not a deal you have to make. That's the point.

And if you think the Rangers are trading him, I wouldn't hold my breath. They're not.
What else should we expect Mr. Sather?

Old
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
You're dealing for a top offensive threat in the NHL, you don't want to part with any current roster player's other than a guy (Dubi) who's currently stinking it up and you don't wanna send me your top prospect in a deal? I'd laugh and hang up the phone. In this scenario you'd be right, no deal.....
Ok. Good. Laugh. And hang up. Keep your 7.8 cap hit, stay in dead last in the league, and have your job at risk. I'll hold onto my top assets and enjoy a top seed in the league. And when Zach Parise hits the open market i'll use all the clout at my disposal to entice him to sign.

The Nash deal is NOT a deal you HAVE to make, especially not for your top young assets while taking on that contract.

Columbus is not at a position of leverage. At all.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Edit: I know that the Giants weren't a last place team and that probably makes a difference.
I would venture to guess they're planning on starting from scratch. Obviously they can't find the players or build correctly around Nash, so it's time to start over. Could be a combo of player and organization, Nash is in is prime and would like to contend, why squander that kind of talent through anothe 5 yr rebuilding process...

Old
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
What else should we expect Mr. Sather?
Use common sense.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Nothing is "stopping him". In fact I think it is a very likely (if not the most likely) outcome.

To play devil's advocate, why is he compelled to do it now?

1. Teams may be will to give more given the current market (few sellers = they don't have a ton of other options) and because they have an immediate shot at the Cup.

2.With how public this has been, this is not going to motivate Nash or increase his morale. At best awkward, at worst creating a very negative (losing) environment.

3. Ensure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they have the most lottery balls for the draft. Reboot around Yakupov.

02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Ok. Good. Laugh. And hang up. Keep your 7.8 cap hit, stay in dead last in the league, and have your job at risk. I'll hold onto my top assets and enjoy a top seed in the league. And when Zach Parise hits the open market i'll use all the clout at my disposal to entice him to sign.

The Nash deal is NOT a deal you HAVE to make, especially not for your top young assets while taking on that contract.

Columbus is not at a position of leverage. At all.
I agree Howson will have to come back down to earth on his expected return, but take off the Ranger jersey and look at it from the business side, how is what I'm asking for unreasonable from a GM's perspective?

Old
02-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I agree Howson will have to come back down to earth on his expected return, but take off the Ranger jersey and look at it from the business side, how is what I'm asking for unreasonable from a GM's perspective?
Objectivity isnt really a strong driver to discussions here, either.

You know what would get Howson fired even faster? Trading his top player for Brandon Dubinsky, and a handful of second-tier prospects.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 02-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old
02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Crease

Quote:
Howson is perfectly within his right to ask for the moon. He doesn't have to trade Nash. But if he wants to get any return at all, he's gotta lower the asking price. In a hard-capped league, a player's value isn't simply defined by his skill level.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I know he's likely to be involved in any deal to bring Nash here, but I'd really love to see a Nash Richards Kreider line next year!

Old
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Nothing is "stopping him". In fact I think it is a very likely (if not the most likely) outcome.

To play devil's advocate, why is he compelled to do it now?

1. Teams may be will to give more given the current market (few sellers = they don't have a ton of other options) and because they have an immediate shot at the Cup.

2.With how public this has been, this is not going to motivate Nash or increase his morale. At best awkward, at worst creating a very negative (losing) environment.

3. Ensure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they have the most lottery balls for the draft. Reboot around Yakupov.
Didn't work that way with Osi.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Use common sense.
I'm trying....But if you wouldn't be willing to move your UNPROVEN, NEVER PLAYED AN NHL GAME top prospect in a deal for Rick Nash, a deal in which I'm only getting "1" current roster player for, a deal which makes your roster a pretty damn stout roster over the next few seasons, I call you crazy....A deal that does nothing but increases your odds over the next few years at winning a Cup, not just this year..Your going to toss that for C.K. ?? .... Wow, he must be special...

Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Howson wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't ask for Kreider.

That doesn't mean he gets him.

From the Rangers business standpoint, why are they going to give in? Because its Rick *** Nash?! This isn't a vacuum. Rangers haven't and wont overpay in assets for any high priced player.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What if Kreider is part of the package for Nash and then immediately signs with New York soon after?
You mean immediately after August 15th 2013?

Old
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Would people kill me if I said McDonagh is better than Staal and Erixon could be just as good so I'd trade staal in the Nash deal??

Old
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

LOL.

I don't even know what to say anymore. Posters who are crying that Nash's contract will cripple our team when it's time to resign our RFA's have absolutely no issue shelling out nearly the same amount of money to sign Parise.

Parise isn't going to be a Ranger. I don't see it happening like I could see for a year with Brad Richards. Just the fact that some of you would cringe at having Nash's contract on the team but be perfectly fine with signing Parise is laughable. In fact it would actually be harder to resign all of our RFA's if we signed Parise because we'd still have that 4.2 mill waste of space on the roster.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I'm trying....But if you wouldn't be willing to move your UNPROVEN, NEVER PLAYED AN NHL GAME top prospect in a deal for Rick Nash, a deal in which I'm only getting "1" current roster player for, a deal which makes your roster a pretty damn stout roster over the next few seasons, I call you crazy....A deal that does nothing but increases your odds over the next few years at winning a Cup, not just this year..Your going to toss that for C.K. ?? .... Wow, he must be special...
Well, I'll tell ya what: you get the NHL to agree to a one-time waiver on the rule against contract renegotiations, get Nash to renegotiate to a 5 year deal with an AAV of about $5.5MM - and then I'll back off my position of not including Kreider.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Would people kill me if I said McDonagh is better than Staal and Erixon could be just as good so I'd trade staal in the Nash deal??
Theres plenty of people that would tell you they'd rather make that deal than one that involves Kreider, which is just insane.

Staal is still making his way back - this team is in no position whatsoever to deal any of their top 4 roster defenseman anyway.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Use common sense.
Why when we have the all knowing SSM to tell us what to think?

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

I think we know two things - 1). Patrick has been scouting Connecticut, and, 2) Columbus has been asking all teams involved for a young Dman. If the Rangers aren't giving up either MDZ or McD, then it only makes sense that Erixon is in the deal. Dubi/Erixon and this year's #1, to me, seems like the obvious core to the Ranger offer.

Last edited by jas: 02-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
LOL.

I don't even know what to say anymore. Posters who are crying that Nash's contract will cripple our team when it's time to resign our RFA's have absolutely no issue shelling out nearly the same amount of money to sign Parise.

Parise isn't going to be a Ranger. I don't see it happening like I could see for a year with Brad Richards. Just the fact that some of you would cringe at having Nash's contract on the team but be perfectly fine with signing Parise is laughable. In fact it would actually be harder to resign all of our RFA's if we signed Parise because we'd still have that 4.2 mill waste of space on the roster.
I don't want either.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think we know two things - 1). Patrick has been scouting Connecticut, and, 2) Columbus has been asking all teamd involved for a young Dman. If the Rangers aren't giving up either MDZ or McD, then it only makes sense that Erixon is in the deal. Dubi/Erixon and this year's #1, to me, seems like the obvious core to the Ranger offer.

Id do Dubi, Erixon, Thomas/Zuccarello and #1. Personally Id rather get rid of Anisimov than Dubi but I know its not happening.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Not to get too OT but I don't know how McD can be better than Staal when Staal has been consistently good for 4+ NHL seasons and McD has played less than 100 games. Yes, McD may be playing better now but Staal has sustained a high level of play for several years.

Closed Thread