HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Worst Season in team History?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
We can look at it positively:

-We'll have the best pick in recent history... Our last real great offensive star was a number 1 pick (Guy Lafleur).

-There's lots of parity in the league, and we're not recent Columbus, NYI or Edmonton bad.

-We've had some nice surprises this season to build on: MaxPac-Desharnais-Cole, Eller and Emelin.

-We can build on a strong foundation by flipping UFAs and vets that aren't in the plans to fill our coffers with picks and prospects.

-I think we can take advantage of the situation and be competitive quickly.
Winning the lottery for Yakupov would help too.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
wedge

we have more talent now than we had at the end of the 90s, even if we're in the bottom of the league and we were 9-10th in those years.

I really don't understand why we're so bad this year when we have good players like cole and pacioretty who weren't here last year (or weren't contributing nearly as much in MaxPac's case)

I'm sure we'll rebound next year

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It will for some as it's going to be the longest off season I can remember, not looking forward to a very very long summer.

Plus from the little i've seen this appears to be one of the worst years to suck as this draft doesn't seem very exciting.
Come on man, lighten up. We're gonna suck next year too.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Our highest skaters picked since our last cup were late Top-10 picks:

Highest forward: #8 - Terry Ryan
Highest defenseman: #7 - Mike Komisarek.

A high Top-10 picks (3-4-5...) hit/miss rate is higher and the skill level you can expect is more interesting.
we had price picked #5

I was like

then

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Nice.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Nice.
Well, it's somewhat true. Witht he vets we have who are entering on the wrong side of 30 there's a chance we're sellers again in 2 years time or maybe even next year. Really depends. Not saying we're bad, but we're not elite, so anything is possible, few injuries and we can be a non-playoff team again.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, it's somewhat true. Witht he vets we have who are entering on the wrong side of 30 there's a chance we're sellers again in 2 years time or maybe even next year. Really depends. Not saying we're bad, but we're not elite, so anything is possible, few injuries and we can be a non-playoff team again.
Exactly, but I guess people will be surprised as always when we fight for 8th again next season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
sharks9

4/7 of the teams who didn't make the playoffs last year will probably be in the playoffs this year. Lets hope for something similar next year!

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Team sucks this year, but they don't suck more than all the other years of suck. Personally, I'd prefer a season of disappointment which comes with a high pick rather than a season of disappointment which comes with an early playoff exit. Definitely agree with everyone saying you have to suffer a little to get to the top.
Personally I don't put a lot of stock into the must finish at the bottom of the league to draft good players. Tanking doesn't always work and this seems like a really bad draft to suck. I don't know why, but I hate watching this team more then I did during the dark ages of the late '90's/early '00's. Guess because I expected us to suck then and now I fully thought we would be a playoff bound team again. Missing the playoffs to me is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I'm sure we'll rebound next year
It's possible, but they need to make a lot of changes imo, as this team isn't even worth watching many nights.

Quote:
it's impossible to know what we will be like next year, since who knows what direction this team is headed in. If the Habs don't fix the D then I fully expect us to suck again next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
If it happen, I hope we suck enough to draft Mackinnon

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

I go back to the 1940s, so I have a better perspective than most. In 1947-48, Elmer Lach scored 30 goals and Maurice Richard scored 28. The next highest had 10 goals, and everyone else was in single digits.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You know, you could be right. I never expected us to be this bad but we cold easily plummet next year too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Exactly, but I guess people will be surprised as always when we fight for 8th again next season
I think this is more likely. So much went wrong for us this year. I never expected us to be this bad. I think we have the roster to make the playoffs. LL could be right though and it could go the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
If it happen, I hope we suck enough to draft Mackinnon
Isn't he supposed to be the next Crosby type prospect? I've heard he's amazing.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Personally I don't put a lot of stock into the must finish at the bottom of the league to draft good players. Tanking doesn't always work and this seems like a really bad draft to suck. I don't know why, but I hate watching this team more then I did during the dark ages of the late '90's/early '00's. Guess because I expected us to suck then and now I fully thought we would be a playoff bound team again. Missing the playoffs to me is the worst.

It's possible, but they need to make a lot of changes imo, as this team isn't even worth watching many nights.

it's impossible to know what we will be like next year, since who knows what direction this team is headed in. If the Habs don't fix the D then I fully expect us to suck again next year.
I agree that the overall quality of their Dmen doomed the Habs. Assuming that Markov is able to play, I look for a much better season. Gorges will be back and it's reasonable to expect more from Subban, Emelin, and Diaz. There's time to add another solid Dman and with three second round draft choices in addition to their relatively high first round pick the Habs might find a precociously gifted forward.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
RC51

I will give everyone a stat that is really strange.
Take a good look at every teams goals for and against.
Have are 160-167 with a record like that how in hell do the Habs only have 58 points.
The Habs only have a 7 goal diff with a total of 58 points.
ton of teams have a much much worse diff and still have more points then the Habs. Sure one of two teams like that might be just a fluke but look how many you can find. WOW there has got to be something to this stat somewhere.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I agree that the overall quality of their Dmen doomed the Habs. Assuming that Markov is able to play, I look for a much better season. Gorges will be back and it's reasonable to expect more from Subban, Emelin, and Diaz. There's time to add another solid Dman and with three second round draft choices in addition to their relatively high first round pick the Habs might find a precociously gifted forward.
If markov is back and we still have diaz, weber and obviously subban, kaberle is massively redundant. We need a big physical presence in top 4. We haven't had a big guy to clear the front of the net since komisarek. We also need to not put a guy like noke as our 4th line center and acquire say Palhsson and reunite him with moen and white on the 4th line, creating a real shutdown line so plekanec can focus on the offensive side of the game. Simple changes, but if our D remains soft and using our top center as a checker(he's not datsyuk, he can't do both) then we'll have a problem.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I will give everyone a stat that is really strange.
Take a good look at every teams goals for and against.
Have are 160-167 with a record like that how in hell do the Habs only have 58 points.
The Habs only have a 7 goal diff with a total of 58 points.
ton of teams have a much much worse diff and still have more points then the Habs. Sure one of two teams like that might be just a fluke but look how many you can find. WOW there has got to be something to this stat somewhere.
Simple, when we win, we score a lot, and when we lose, its not a blowout. We scored a ton vs detroit and none vs dallas. End of the day, habs have 7-5 differential but we lost half the games.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
If markov is back and we still have diaz, weber and obviously subban, kaberle is massively redundant. We need a big physical presence in top 4. We haven't had a big guy to clear the front of the net since komisarek. We also need to not put a guy like noke as our 4th line center and acquire say Palhsson and reunite him with moen and white on the 4th line, creating a real shutdown line so plekanec can focus on the offensive side of the game. Simple changes, but if our D remains soft and using our top center as a checker(he's not datsyuk, he can't do both) then we'll have a problem.
You don't think Weber is on his way out?

Old
02-22-2012, 07:05 PM
AntonCH

Life or hockey doesn't end at the end of this season - just ask leafs fans
The sun and a new hockey season will come again

If something good comes out of this season, then it's been no big deal and we get on with things. Philly retooled recently so can the Habs.
As young a core or youth movement as you'd like to have you still need vets to show them the way. This being said there will always be vets to sell, you can never get away from it.
If Markov can deliver 2/3 good seasons then its a decent return.
Cole is working out well. Price; Pacioretty; and Subban are keepers.
Eller; Gorges; Emelin and Plekanec are part of a great supporting cast.
Desharnais; Diaz and White are headed in the right direction.
It's a blip of a season that can be turned around in a year or two due to some of the prospects we have coming and the cap space we'll have to spend

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You don't think Weber is on his way out?
He may be. I won't dispute that, but still.

Markov
Subban
Kaberle
Diaz

As PMD and Gorges as your defensive guy who is more of a shot blocker than a physical guy. Sure, Emelin is great but do we want to repeat the same problem we always had? Having one komisarek, one moen, etc... I'm by no means a guy who loves fighting or whatever, I really don't care, but would be nice to have at least a guy who can be a physical shutdown guy. Sarich, Hannan, etc... are all top 6 guys who may fill that role. I really feel we need one to balance the core.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
habfaninvictoria

May not be the worst, but certainly didn't live up to expectations. Didn't expect to win the conference but a playoff spot was a virtual lock. To not even be in contention to fight for the last spot is a giant step backwards.

habfaninvictoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:35 PM
BayouHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
we was never that unsuccessful!
This absolutely killed me. Well done.

BayouHab is offline   Reply With Quote