HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Happened to Higgins???!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
clvmcs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I heard something about being injured in practice and it could be season ending!!

*** happened and what is his prognosis!

This season started out soooo well with Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, then Julien killed their confidence and now injuires!!!

No wonder we can never develop a player like Svatos... we play them on the crap lines for 5 minutes and expect the world from them!

Our future in not with Zednik (barf) on the first two lines, it's living with the kids and their mistakes. As long as they give it an effort....keep playing them!!!
I agree...I've been saying the same thing for so long. We kill our rookies if they are not defensive minded...where's howie meeker when you need him ??

Old
01-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Lets put it this way. Back after the 2004 draft, Blind Guardien who's very knowlegeable when it comes to drafting prospects, was convinced Chipchura was the worst possible pick. In fact in his signature he had grouped Chipchura with our past WHL first round busts like Matt Higgins. Since then, Chipchura has averaged about a point a game, and he captained Team Canada to a gold medal in the WJCs. He also had the mental toughness to come back from a potentially career ending injury in time for his team's playoff run where he excelled. Chipchura is turning into a much more solid prospect then Blind Guardien had originally thought. Now BG may still turn out as having been right, but the odds are looking as if he wasn't. And for the record, I wanted Korpikoski in that draft...
No way that was Blind Guardien with that sig, he was on the Chipchura bandwagon from the start, weeks before the draft. I am pretty sure it was a poster called Russian_Fan (?) who had that sig.

Old
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
No way that was Blind Guardien with that sig, he was on the Chipchura bandwagon from the start, weeks before the draft. I am pretty sure it was a poster called Russian_Fan (?) who had that sig.
You might be right.

Sorry BG

Old
01-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
And???? The impact in the NHL is???? And I wouldn't compare Kosty Junior and Svatos in terms of scoring ability and pure dynamo skater. Even though he has a good season so far even though most of his points are in PP (though we will need those types of players anyway) anyone here, Montreal included, ever compared Kosty Jr play to Svatos. Junior is more a two-way nose dirty player, Svatos pure sniper. No comparison there.

Though I agree, Svatos topic not included, that pick seems to be a hell of pick!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still hope Mikus, Grabo and Kost turned out the way we want them to be, but they are still projects....And my comparisons were made in a way that as of TODAY we didn't pick a player in late rounds with Svatos caliber that have an impact already.

Players that we picked in later rounds since 1995 that played in the NHL:

Stéphane Robidas
Brett Clark
Michael Ryder (Nice steal!!!)
Andrei Markov (Nice steal!!!)
Jonathan Ferland
Mark Streit

2 steals in 10 years and if you include the numerous 1st rounds busts you now know why we are still in reconstruction.....

But hoping we will be able to add some names in that steal section very soon....

yup, the only player drafted that late (7th round) that could have that impact is Sergei.. and he's 18 (svatos 23) so Sergei's got 5 years to make that kind of impact.

Perezhogin (same draft as Svatos) should have been able to strutt his stuff but guess what... we didn't want to keep him on the 1st line with Koivu and Kovalev because he's too young to take on that task... (bull$#!t) he was doing just fine though... and we had to give that spot to an undeserving Zednik who didn't do anything.

We also wasted Higgins' development playing him on the 3rd/4th line... and constantly playing Dagenais on the 2nd line when it was Clear from the beginning of the season that Higgins>Dagenais. And now they send Dagenais down to the AHL because he's not good enough for the lineup... (anyone could've told em that if they were ready to listen - except for a couple of rds/110% people - )

We wasted time with our prospects like we always do, and will always do, thats why even if we land the second coming of Crosby in 10 years he'll have to go back to junior for "seasoning" and play atleast 1 year in the AHL for more "seasoning" and then play him on the 3rd/4th line because we have Veterans that we have to respect. I'm beginning to think that because montreal's always had good veterans thats been the way its always happened, maybe thats all gainey, savard, (insert ex hab player turned gm/coach here) know because thats how they were brought up in the organisation) but seriously, our veterans aren't that good...some rookies come in that could be better than our veterans by the END of the year (see Ryder/and i think Perezhogin) if only we play them damnit... Give the kids a chance...

*Sigh*

Look on the brightside guys 5 years ago we weren't able to have good drafts. Now we see that we can. 5 years from now we'll have figured out how to develop our players. and add another 5 year and we'll have built a dynasty (I hope)

Old
01-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
"We don't Draft Players like Svatos"

Sergei Kostitsyn 7th round 200th pick overall

hmm so far so good... Sergei's seems to be ahead of svatos in terms of talent, ability and stats at the same age...

so was perezhogin (although yeah not a 7th rounder)

and kostitsyn

and plecanek

we have players who have better abilities....

we draft better players than svatos

why perezhogin isn't doing as good? isn't it obvious? he's not gotten the same chance

will andrei get it? chris? sergei? who's to know...the way our organizations been for EONS is to rot the youngins...
dude...
There's a big difference between junior and NHL.
Some guys who burns Juniors never make it or have some serious trouble making it.

Exemple :
The best player i saw in the junior exept Crosby was Radim Vrbata.
He looked like Star Nhler in an American league roster. (Note that Bergeron, Burrows, Pomminville was in the same team)

Now he have all the trouble in the world puting goals in the nets.

Scouting isnt looking at stats in the newspapers.
Its going at the game and watching them play.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
NYR1084

Send a message via AIM to NYR1084
Hey

Hip Flexor...back in a game or so I think.

Kev

Old
01-22-2006, 10:24 PM
MissCanuck

Good news.

... And that better be it for injuries.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan1084
Hey

Kev
Thanks a lot, It's good news.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Hey

Kev

I hate that injury. Such a pain in the arse.

It never seems to go away. You can play through it, but what a piss off.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:37 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Good post, and for the record and since I do not know more than anybody else here and only based on what I've read though I read a lot, I wanted Mike Green with our pick. Chipper is a nice prospect but we just begin to realize that we are very poor regarding our d-men prospects, though we hope O'Byrne, Emelin even Korpikari could become good d-men, and I'm sure Green would have been a very good asset as well.

I agree that posters here don't know everything but I have a tough time with people that say that management knows better because they have the position they are in, if they know better, they should be able to draft better or at least, play the rookies more in order to not affect their confidence.

Average draft is 1.5 player( s) that is going to play with the team that selected him.

I think that we are going to have more players with the team , with the last seasons selections .

Svatos is having 25 years so just look what Ryder is doing and you can say that we have our sniper too

Old
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Ape Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
dude...
Some guys who burns Juniors never make it or have some serious trouble making it.

Exemple :
He looked like Star Nhler in an American league roster. (Note that Bergeron, Burrows, Pomminville was in the same team)

I go to the Western... the only hockey to see over here is Knights Hockey...

Old
01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:

So do I... what program you in? I'm 1st year Kin.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Good then, most of the poster here never went to a local hockey game.

Old
01-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
You might be right.

Sorry BG
No problemo. Chipchura was one of my guys from the get-go, and I was (and still am) a big Green booster too. I picked them both in my FHLs, around 10 spots higher EACH than they were picked in the NHL.

But you could have made the same point using Meszaros or maybe Wolski or somebody like that, since I was on the anti-Meszaros bandwagon, where some other posters were promoting him, and clearly I was way off on that one. (Wolski - well, I'm STILL convinced he's useless! Ample time for me to be doubly wrong again!).

It is a crapshoot. But it's not completely random odds. Like any good game, you need a healthy element of randomness, otherwise the real geniuses will just win all the time and it won't be any fun. But it also can't be 100% purely random, or else there will be no real draw to it. Even the best poker players lose some hands. And the best scouts in the business will make more picks that bust than picks that make it. But somewhere in there, there's room to stay a few % ahead of the competition, even amidst the preponderance of bust picks, which is really what makes it a fun game. The purpose is to win the war, even knowing you'll lose lots of little battles along the way.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
dude...

Exemple :

Simon Gamache, Corey Locke, Brandon Reid...

Old
01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I heard something about being injured in practice and it could be season ending!!

*** happened and what is his prognosis!

This season started out soooo well with Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, then Julien killed their confidence and now injuires!!!

No wonder we can never develop a player like Svatos... we play them on the crap lines for 5 minutes and expect the world from them!

Our future in not with Zednik (barf) on the first two lines, it's living with the kids and their mistakes. As long as they give it an effort....keep playing them!!!
Nonsense. Higgins never lost confidence and he is getting plenty of ice time. Neither did Plekanec and I expect to see a lot of him when he returns from the injury list. Plekanec needs straightening out. His problem isn't lack of confidence, it's overconfidence. He thinks he can get by on talent alone, so he shirks his basic reponsibilities, gets out of position, takes too many penalties.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Nonsense. Higgins never lost confidence and he is getting plenty of ice time. Neither did Plekanec and I expect to see a lot of him when he returns from the injury list. Plekanec needs straightening out. His problem isn't lack of confidence, it's overconfidence. He thinks he can get by on talent alone, so he shirks his basic reponsibilities, gets out of position, takes too many penalties.
Don't you mean Perezhogin ? I'm a big fan of Higgins too. So's my old man strangely because we seldom agree. What I really want to know is what did Tim Teufel ever do to offend you ? If I remember he was an average to below average 2nd baseman who spent time with the Mets didn't he ?

Old
01-23-2006, 12:31 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
The loosing streak started a lot before Plekanec got injured ..

It was more when Zednik came back ; they won few games that they didn't deserve to win , and after the loosing streak started .

May be someone could hit Zednik in the legs , with an 3 inches diameter iron stick . We will see if the team start to win ...
What is the name of this figures skater of the USA ?
I hope, it was a joke, but it wasn't very funny...

BTW, it is Tonya Harding.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
I hope, it was a joke, but it wasn't very funny...

BTW, it is Tonya Harding.
True
Tonya has a pretty long resume:
attempt to injure
XXX movies
Girls Boxing
Grocery stores robbery

I guess the olympians do not always become as good as Myriam Bédard
oh...wait...

Old
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Ape Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco
So do I... what program you in? I'm 1st year Kin.
1 of those purple guys running around during o-week

Old
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
The reason we can't develop a Svatos is that we don't draft players like Svatos.

...and how many other teams in the NHL drafted a player like Svatos in the late rounds? Also, how many other teams passed by Svatos multiple times in that draft, including Colorado before he was finally drafted? I think you're painting the Montreal scouting staff with a pretty big brush by implying that they were the only ones that decided to take a pass on him. As for us not taking a flyer on small skilled players who don't play defense, how about a guy like Corey Locke - he might not be the fastest player out there but he is a pure offensive talent who doesn't even know his goalies name.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:07 PM
redhothabs

Quote:
Hey

Kev
Finally one good news I can read today after this election day....Canada= Conservative... how bad is that!!!
Well I hope he'll be back soon, looks like the habs suck without him in the line-up...we could really use his defensive play right now!!!!!

Closed Thread