HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Aww, that's Nash-ty." Nash Rumors Part V: McKenzie says down to Rangers/Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 11:20 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
If you asked me this last week, I'd say the majority of the fans were against the idea of trading for Nash. So maybe 30 Yes/70 No.

As the team struggles to find offense though, I think its become 50/50.

I'm JUST starting to come around to the idea.
We knew before the season started that we needed more offense...so I can't imagine it's truly a surprise to anyone that we still do. That still doesn't entice me to deal significant assets for yet another of the leagues most expensive contracts.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We knew before the season started that we needed more offense...so I can't imagine it's truly a surprise to anyone that we still do. That still doesn't entice me to deal significant assets for yet another of the leagues most expensive contracts.
We do need more offense. Outside of Florida, we have scored less goals then every other current playoff team in the east. Translation: If Lundqvist has even a few mediocre games it could be a quick playoff exit for us.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Oh no doubt, but there are a lot here who think that because we're average offensively, thats more than enough.

I'm nervous about trading for Nash, but when someone with his skill set becomes available, you have to at least consider it.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/22...ash-and-carter

"Sources say Howson’s asking price from every team in the Nash talks is non-negotiable (at the moment) and gigantic in nature: A No. 1 pick in 2012 NHL entry draft pick; a good player off your roster (possibly Logan Couture or Joe Pavelski in San Jose’s case); plus the No. 1 prospect in the organization."
id love to have him on the Rangers....id def move Dubinsky or Anisimov for him.

side note...get this...Pavelski, McGinn and Ferrero to Rangers for Avery Zuccarello and Wolski happed in NHL 12

Old
02-22-2012, 11:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
We do need more offense. Outside of Florida, we have scored less goals then every other current playoff team in the east. Translation: If Lundqvist has even a few mediocre games it could be a quick playoff exit for us.
Right, I think we're all in agreement on that. My point is that there are other long term solutions than dealing assets for the most expensive option available. Add one more 25 goal scorer to the top 6 of this roster and we're a legit contender. It's not Rick Nash or bust.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Technically, we actually score more than the Devils to the tune of 0.03 goals per game. It's a big deal.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Oh no doubt, but there are a lot here who think that because we're average offensively, thats more than enough.

I'm nervous about trading for Nash, but when someone with his skill set becomes available, you have to at least consider it.
No doubt he has an excellent skill set and is worth considering. But at the end of the day there are just too many question marks for me...assets moved, production vs. cost, future cap flexibility in a time of uncertain CBA, etc. If I'm running the team I take a pass on nash. I wouldn't pay him 7.8M (against the cap) as a UFA so I'm certainly not paying for the right to do so.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

I believe it's enough for this year's team to prevent us from throwing the farm at a trade. I might not believe the same next year.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

so...

i'm rick nash

Ive got a no movement clause

I know the 1st place New York Rangers are interested in me.

I know the New York Rangers have the easiest travel schedule in the NHL.

I know the NYR have several elite players, and a ton of young studs on the roster or on the way up.

I know the NYR have a SC winning coach.

Or, i could play for a team thats barely in the playoffs, has the whole Western Conference travel schedule, can't score a goal to save their lives, etc, etc, etc.

If im nash, i tell Howson. It's NYR, Boston, SJ, Detroit, Vancouver, or nobody...and frankly with travel factored in, it'd probably be down to Boston or NY for me.

Id add Pittsburgh to that equation too.

He'd be scary awesome on Pittsburgh.

this is w/o looking at all at the cap situations for these teams. I know NJ isnt an option because that team has no $$$ left...actual cash, not cap cash lol.

Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Right, I think we're all in agreement on that. My point is that there are other long term solutions than dealing assets for the most expensive option available. Add one more 25 goal scorer to the top 6 of this roster and we're a legit contender. It's not Rick Nash or bust.
Personally, I think this team actually needs a game changing offensive talent and since Nash is the only one I'm aware of that's available, that's why I'm focused on him (for the right price).

But, just for the sake of argument, who are these available 25 goal scorers you'd rather target?

Old
02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Personally, I think this team actually needs a game changing offensive talent and since Nash is the only one I'm aware of that's available, that's why I'm focused on him (for the right price).

But, just for the sake of argument, who are these available 25 goal scorers you'd rather target?
Why do we need yet another game changing offensive talent when we already have two 7M players? How many teams have 3 7M forwards?

Not sure which 25 goal scorers are currently available. My point is that we should be looking to obtain one of them. If we can't do it before the trade deadline than we should keep searching over the summer, either by UFA or via trade. And if we still can't find one then perhaps during next season. I'm not in the we have to do a deal now at any cost because we're wasting Hank's final days oh my god the sky is falling camp. lol The organization has been building this team the right way and they are getting close. No need to muck it all up by adding a ridiculous contract when we are poised to be a very good team for the next 5 years or more.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I'm genuinely surprised that other people aren't more leery of a big, long term contract. Granted, Nash is better than Gomez, Drury, or Redden (obviously), but pretty much everyone seems to agree that he's overpaid.

Not meant to be an argument towards anyone, just expressing my surprise.

RANGERS =
Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I'd say any team in first place by 7 points with 24 games to go is a legit contender already.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

There are 3 guys with 25 goal potential out there whose names have been mentioned, but who probably won't make it to 25 this season: David Jones, Chris Stewart, Andrei Kostitsyn. Potentially Derek Roy.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger View Post
Call me crazy, but I'd say any team in first place by 7 points with 24 games to go is a legit contender already.
Don't get me wrong, I really like this team. But I know that it's harder to win in the post season...and it's also harder to score there. Certainly we've got a shot, and perhaps we are truly already a legit contender...but winning 4 rounds ain't gonna be easy. So to that end I can understand why so many people really like the idea of trading for Nash. The current roster is barely effected, and we become a very scary team overnight. I guess if it wins us a championship it's worth whatever price you pay down the road. But experience shows that these big deals rarely work out as expected, and I'm fearful of the damage that will result. So personally I'd rather pass on Nash and come up a bit short, than assume that dealing for him is going to win it all. I'm not quite ready for this team to be "all in."

Old
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

If Kreider is gone on Monday and we dont win the cup, I'll need to be checked into an asylum.

That's really all I have to say on this issue.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
If Kreider is gone on Monday and we dont win the cup, I'll need to be checked into an asylum.

That's really all I have to say on this issue.
I'm right there with you...we can share a padded room.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If I'm Nash and I only want New York, I tell Howson to trade me there and not take much back. Dog it in CBJ if you have to.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
I'm right there with you...we can share a padded room.
Kinda defeats the purpose of the padding, doesn't it?

Old
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
It was on NBC sports' intermission report tonight.
Dreger also said the Kings are out of it, and should/will start looking towards Jeff Carter on NHL Tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
so do the majority of Ranger fans want Nash? or no?

yea I'm a devils fan but I haven't been following this Nash thing, just curious thats all
I think as the deadline approaches, and Nash's list dwindles down even more, I think more Ranger fans (myself included - yes, I'm eating my words) have become more open to the thought of Nash in NY.

The thing is, there's no guarantee that Parise signs here. Also, if you sign Parise and don't give up assets for Nash, you STILL have to move assets to fit him in with the cap. That means space has to be opened up. If I can move Dubinsky to Columbus and only add an extra 3 million and change, then by all means, that's better cap management then adding 7 million straight up and then having to deal assets at another point in time at lowered value due to the fact that Glen Sather is once again trying to play Rubix Cube with his salary cap positioning, a game that although he is great at, you don't want to keep on playing.

Another problem is, fans don't want to deal Chris Kreider, and everyone in the sport of hockey has been hyping this kid up lately. Milbury even went out of his way the night of the beanpot to talk about Kreider and did nothing but rave about him, and say how Ranger fans are going to love this kid, and said he probably will go pro this upcoming season. *The last time we had anyone rave about a Rangers prospect like this was when Pierre McGuire and others were raving about Alexei Cherepanov (RIP), and the Rangers in the system with the possible exception of Christian Thomas are almost fully devoid of potential top-line talent, Kreider aside.

I honestly would give up Dubinsky, JT Miller, Erixon/McIlrath, and a 1st for Nash, or Dubinsky, Sauer, and a 1st for Nash.

I don't see a team out there that's still in the running (LA, Philly, and Boston have all been priced out of the running, and Toronto is a bubble team that won't give up the assets for him when they need help in other areas, according to what I'm hearing) and I won't be surprised if he ends up a Ranger come Monday afternoon.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Dreger also said the Kings are out of it, and should/will start looking towards Jeff Carter on NHL Tonight.

I think as the deadline approaches, and Nash's list dwindles down even more, I think more Ranger fans (myself included - yes, I'm eating my words) have become more open to the thought of Nash in NY.

The thing is, there's no guarantee that Parise signs here. Also, if you sign Parise and don't give up assets for Nash, you STILL have to move assets to fit him in with the cap. That means space has to be opened up. If I can move Dubinsky to Columbus and only add an extra 3 million and change, then by all means, that's better cap management then adding 7 million straight up and then having to deal assets at another point in time at lowered value due to the fact that Glen Sather is once again trying to play Rubix Cube with his salary cap positioning, a game that although he is great at, you don't want to keep on playing.

Another problem is, fans don't want to deal Chris Kreider, and everyone in the sport of hockey has been hyping this kid up lately. Milbury even went out of his way the night of the beanpot to talk about Kreider and did nothing but rave about him, and say how Ranger fans are going to love this kid, and said he probably will go pro this upcoming season.

I honestly would give up Dubinsky, JT Miller, Erixon/McIlrath, and a 1st for Nash, or Dubinsky, Sauer, and a 1st for Nash.

I don't see a team out there that's still in the running (LA, Philly, and Boston have all been priced out of the running, and Toronto is a bubble team that won't give up the assets for him when they need help in other areas, according to what I'm hearing) and I won't be surprised if he ends up a Ranger come Monday afternoon.
Why does Parise have to sign with NY to justify not trading for Nash? Additionally if you do sign Parise, you ALSO get assets back for dealing Dubinsky or whoever is moved a year from now if and when needed. So that's always going to be better than spending assets for the right to obtain a top dollar contract. Dealing for Nash is a lose-lose proposition. I would vomit if we traded what you propose for a guy I wouldn't even sign for 7.8M as a free agent.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
To be fair we scored slightly more on average per game than the shootout kings (NJ). Only problem with that is that unlike them we've been remarkably healthy on offense. We definitely need more offense.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:58 PM
ltrangerfan

I believe that The winner of the Nash lottery will have to give up one very solid pro plus prospects.

My guess is that the rangers will have to part with MCD or MDZ to put a deal together (I assume Henrik is not in the equation? LOL..) Many see the need for Nash but are only willing to give up a few grinders and prospects. I really don't believe that gets it done.

Giving up grinders will get the team a secondary scorer, perhaps no return from where they started?

Old
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
At this point I almost think that NY is the only team still in the running, SJ possibly but they seem like a long shot because I think Nash said he preferred to go to the Eastern Conference. Howson is probably trying to use the SJ option as an attempt to get Sather to pony up a little more.

The reason I think Sather is good at trades is that he doesn't panic or act desperate, I think he gives a strong offer initially and then steps away from the fray. Something he doesn't do during free agency most times.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:02 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
so...

i'm rick nash

Ive got a no movement clause

I know the 1st place New York Rangers are interested in me.

I know the New York Rangers have the easiest travel schedule in the NHL.

I know the NYR have several elite players, and a ton of young studs on the roster or on the way up.

I know the NYR have a SC winning coach.

Or, i could play for a team thats barely in the playoffs, has the whole Western Conference travel schedule, can't score a goal to save their lives, etc, etc, etc.

If im nash, i tell Howson. It's NYR, Boston, SJ, Detroit, Vancouver, or nobody...and frankly with travel factored in, it'd probably be down to Boston or NY for me.

Id add Pittsburgh to that equation too.

He'd be scary awesome on Pittsburgh.

this is w/o looking at all at the cap situations for these teams. I know NJ isnt an option because that team has no $$$ left...actual cash, not cap cash lol.
They have scored more per game on average than us (.11 more). Their problem is keeping the puck out of the net. We allowed 2 goals to Columbus, but my feeling is, we play them 5 games they might score 6 goals on us. They scored 6 in one game against San Jose.

Closed Thread