HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Colton Orr still have a spot on the roster?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2006, 09:29 PM
  #26
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Wow, wasn't this thread made right in the nick of time. I'M BACK! Anyway..I was at the game last night, and as usual I got to see Orrsie warm up. I think last night showed why we need him, and many of the fans were also asking why he didn't play after Holly got just pomelled. Orr is more useful at this point than Rucchin or Nieminen, and if Rucinsky keeps playing this lackidazical, useless style of hockey, there's no sense in keeping him around either...he just takes up Sykora's spot on the 1st line, and on the 1st PP unit. Our 2nd line would be fun with Moore playing alongside Nylander and Prucha. Use those 6 forwards as our top 6.
Nieminen has 7 points in his last 8 games....im sure Orr would be much more useful then what he is doing

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
  #27
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Nieminen has 7 points in his last 8 games....im sure Orr would be much more useful then what he is doing
We don't have enough point getters? Since when do we need a guy scoring points on the 3rd line and not doing much else...other than taking a few silly penalties

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
  #28
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
We don't have enough point getters? Since when do we need a guy scoring points on the 3rd line and not doing much else...other than taking a few silly penalties

Well when our 1st line isnt putting points up you look for other lines to do that. What the hell is Orr going to do...drop the gloves? Yea thats going to win games.

I wish this guy would get waived already so we could end these stupid arguments over this useless player.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
  #29
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Well when our 1st line isnt putting points up you look for other lines to do that. What the hell is Orr going to do...drop the gloves? Yea thats going to win games.

I wish this guy would get waived already so we could end these stupid arguments over this useless player.
I don't get why some people don't get it. Every successful, winning team has one of "those guys" whose gonna drop the gloves, intimidate, and finish all checks. That's exactly what Orr will bring to the club, something the useless Ville doesn't. Or the useless Rucchin.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
  #30
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I don't get why some people don't get it. Every successful, winning team has one of "those guys" whose gonna drop the gloves, intimidate, and finish all checks. That's exactly what Orr will bring to the club, something the useless Ville doesn't. Or the useless Rucchin.
They're not useless, they're good skaters who are defensively responcible.

Why don't you get that speed is much more important than intimidation? And the Rangers do have guys that finish they're checks: Hollweg, Kaspar, Ortmeyer, even Malik all throw they're weight around.
I'm not denying that it would be nice to have a top notch fighter and intimidator like Orr on the ice, but it's not nearly as important as having guys that will cover they're assignments and not get burned on a regular basis.

xander is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:56 PM
  #31
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
They're not useless, they're good skaters who are defensively responcible.

Why don't you get that speed is much more important than intimidation? And the Rangers do have guys that finish they're checks: Hollweg, Kaspar, Ortmeyer, even Malik all throw they're weight around.
I'm not denying that it would be nice to have a top notch fighter and intimidator like Orr on the ice, but it's not nearly as important as having guys that will cover they're assignments and not get burned on a regular basis.
We have plenty of those guys, heck you just named them, and the rest of the boys. Malik? Pshhhh...are you kidding? But anyway, how do the Sens have one, the Leafs, the Devils, the Sabres, some of the top teams in our conference

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:02 PM
  #32
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
We have plenty of those guys, heck you just named them, and the rest of the boys. Malik? Pshhhh...are you kidding? But anyway, how do the Sens have one, the Leafs, the Devils, the Sabres, some of the top teams in our conference
They have them because the guys that they have (like a Mcgrattan) are capable of taking a regular shift. Can Orr do that right now? I don't know, but aparently Renney thinks he can't, and I trust his opinion. I think the reason that the Rangers picked Orr up is because they believe that they can develop him into the type of player that can play 5-7 minutes a night and not be a defensive liability. It's apparent that they don't think he's that player right now, and if he's not then I don't want him out there, regardless of how hard he punches.

It's not that I don't want a guy who can protect our skilled players, I'm just not willing to risk a defensive lapse because he's out there.


Last edited by xander: 01-23-2006 at 10:08 PM.
xander is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
  #33
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I don't get why some people don't get it. Every successful, winning team has one of "those guys" whose gonna drop the gloves, intimidate, and finish all checks. That's exactly what Orr will bring to the club, something the useless Ville doesn't. Or the useless Rucchin.

i think he is confused from watching euro hockey last year and forgot that north american players actually play in the nhl! i mean the question was put out there on whether orr was needed or not? he is needed! witness last night? hollweg (while stepping up is comended) should not be fighting cam jannsons(spelling) that player is out there for one reason and thats to hurt somebody, now we won the game but if sitting nieminen, hossa or whoever in place or orr i'm alright with that as long as they don't break up the forth line! flyline i think we all get your point but you have never seen orr play have you? when you become a scout for the ny rangers come in here with your tiresome act and maybe we will listen until then stay out of the orr arguments because all your facts are based on nothing but your opinion! you act like you have a personal hatred towards him and people who want to see that kind of hockey! well one player got his butt handed to him last night and they also had marshall in last night and if kasper didn't hit him he would be wanting a dance too! so we won the game, great thats the bottom line but doesn't mean we should get our butts kicked everywhere else on the ice!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
  #34
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
i think he is confused from watching euro hockey last year and forgot that north american players actually play in the nhl! i mean the question was put out there on whether orr was needed or not? he is needed! witness last night? hollweg (while stepping up is comended) should not be fighting cam jannsons(spelling) that player is out there for one reason and thats to hurt somebody, now we won the game but if sitting nieminen, hossa or whoever in place or orr i'm alright with that as long as they don't break up the forth line! flyline i think we all get your point but you have never seen orr play have you? when you become a scout for the ny rangers come in here with your tiresome act and maybe we will listen until then stay out of the orr arguments because all your facts are based on nothing but your opinion! you act like you have a personal hatred towards him and people who want to see that kind of hockey! well one player got his butt handed to him last night and they also had marshall in last night and if kasper didn't hit him he would be wanting a dance too! so we won the game, great thats the bottom line but doesn't mean we should get our butts kicked everywhere else on the ice!

But they're not.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:17 PM
  #35
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
But they're not.

maybe i should be more specific? hollweg fighting a guy who had like 300+pims should not be fighting him? if he breaks hollwegs eye socket then what? the punches he threw were pretty dangerous, and watching the fight over and over again you can see that punch an inch away from doing said damage! now do you want hollweg out of the line-up because he had to fight this guy or would you rather have orr in there to take care of that kind of player? hollweg is too important to this team to loose him because cam jannsens wanted to fight someone? that game was perfect for him to play in yet we have hollweg taking care of that part of the game! it's gonna burm\n us one game!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
  #36
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
They have them because the guys that they have (like a Mcgrattan) are capable of taking a regular shift. Can Orr do that right now? I don't know, but aparently Renney thinks he can't, and I trust his opinion. I think the reason that the Rangers picked Orr up is because they believe that they can develop him into the type of player that can play 5-7 minutes a night and not be a defensive liability. It's apparent that they don't think he's that player right now, and if he's not then I don't want him out there, regardless of how hard he punches.

It's not that I don't want a guy who can protect our skilled players, I'm just not willing to risk a defensive lapse because he's out there.
There's only one way to find out, and they won't let us. He showed he wasn't in his time vs Washington and his small shifts vs NYI. McGrattan is capable? All he does is go around intimidating, fighting, and banging guys. Domi is much of the same although he has more skating ability, same with Brashear. Janssen is nothing but a fighter and a banger. I think Orr can fill this role for our team, just like Kyprios and Kocur did when we won the cup, Barnaby and Purinton a few years ago, Grosek, Mcarthy until he became Sandra, Langdon in the late 90's. That's the one part were missing.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
  #37
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Wow, wasn't this thread made right in the nick of time. I'M BACK! Anyway..I was at the game last night, and as usual I got to see Orrsie warm up. I think last night showed why we need him, and many of the fans were also asking why he didn't play after Holly got just pomelled. Orr is more useful at this point than Rucchin or Nieminen, and if Rucinsky keeps playing this lackidazical, useless style of hockey, there's no sense in keeping him around either...he just takes up Sykora's spot on the 1st line, and on the 1st PP unit. Our 2nd line would be fun with Moore playing alongside Nylander and Prucha. Use those 6 forwards as our top 6.
Please tell me how last night showed why we need the worthless piece of flesh some call Orrsie...Were our skill players intimidated and smashed? Did we lose? Did big bad Mark Jansenns run wild? Were we taken off of our game by the the big bad devils? No, no, no and no...All that happened was a meaingless fight where Hollweg took a few punches to the face in a fight that meant nothing..BFD.....Hey, they sure made him stop playing his game later...

And we're supposed to break up the HMO line to accomodate Orr?

Orr can;'t skate can't hit, can't play hockey and is one tenth of the player of Ryan Hollweg and Villie Nieminen..Hey if you wanna rest Rucchin and Rucinsky at the same time, maybe throw Orr in for a good fight and some hockey skills reminiscent of Jay Caulfiedl...

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
  #38
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
maybe i should be more specific? hollweg fighting a guy who had like 300+pims should not be fighting him? if he breaks hollwegs eye socket then what? the punches he threw were pretty dangerous, and watching the fight over and over again you can see that punch an inch away from doing said damage! now do you want hollweg out of the line-up because he had to fight this guy or would you rather have orr in there to take care of that kind of player? hollweg is too important to this team to loose him because cam jannsens wanted to fight someone? that game was perfect for him to play in yet we have hollweg taking care of that part of the game! it's gonna burm\n us one game!
Interesting way to look at it. I don't see why we can't do something like...:
Sykora-Straka-Jagr
Rucinsky-Nylander-Prucha
Nieminen-Moore-Ward
Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr

or:

Sykora-Straka-Jagr
Moore-Nylander-Prucha
Nieminen-Rucchin-Ward
Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr

I know the HMO line has been playing great, but that 4th line right there would be very intimidating and physical and it would give Moore a chance to score more, and play more of a free style, skilled game

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
  #39
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Interesting way to look at it. I don't see why we can't do something like...:
Sykora-Straka-Jagr
Rucinsky-Nylander-Prucha
Nieminen-Moore-Ward
Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr

or:

Sykora-Straka-Jagr
Moore-Nylander-Prucha
Nieminen-Rucchin-Ward
Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr

I know the HMO line has been playing great, but that 4th line right there would be very intimidating and physical and it would give Moore a chance to score more, and play more of a free style, skilled game

So play every single person out of positon?

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
  #40
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
So play every single person out of positon?
Who's out of position? Moore can play the wing, he did with Rucchin as his center earlier. Hollweg has played center. That's it

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
  #41
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
There's only one way to find out, and they won't let us. He showed he wasn't in his time vs Washington and his small shifts vs NYI. McGrattan is capable? All he does is go around intimidating, fighting, and banging guys. Domi is much of the same although he has more skating ability, same with Brashear. Janssen is nothing but a fighter and a banger. I think Orr can fill this role for our team, just like Kyprios and Kocur did when we won the cup, Barnaby and Purinton a few years ago, Grosek, Mcarthy until he became Sandra, Langdon in the late 90's. That's the one part were missing.
Dammit, did I say McGratton? I ment to say Neil, who is a player that fills multiple roles (banger, checker, fighter.)

Listen, if Orr can skate well enough to keep up with one of the checking lines then i have no problem with giving him a shot for a game or two. But if he can't then I don't want him out there being a defensive liability.

My point is this: When it comes to the third and fourth lines defense and speed come first, fighting ability second.

xander is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:48 PM
  #42
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Who's out of position? Moore can play the wing, he did with Rucchin as his center earlier. Hollweg has played center. That's it
Prucha LW, Sykora RW, Moore C, Ortmeyer RW, Hollweg LW

Many players are out of position (natural positions). All for a worthless player that does NOTHING TO ENHANCE THE TEAM!!!

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
  #43
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Dammit, did I say McGratton? I ment to say Neil, who is a player that fills multiple roles (banger, checker, fighter.)

Listen, if Orr can skate well enough to keep up with one of the checking lines then i have no problem with giving him a shot for a game or two. But if he can't then I don't want him out there being a defensive liability.

My point is this: When it comes to the third and fourth lines defense and speed come first, fighting ability second.
I don't think it's necessarily speed on the 4th line, but yeah you gotta keep up and we've seen Orr do that. It's more defense and checking-toughness. Orr is not a defensive liability from what we and the Bruins got a taste of. He's a capable skater and he'll bang guys, intimidate, and fight just like a McGrattan, a Belak, a Janssen, a Brashear, a Fedoruk, a Peters. Also, I'm watching the Ducks play...Fedoruk has never been able to play and we know that from his days in Philly...but he's skating like all others now. He's playing on the 3rd line with a few skilled guys with him that's why. Orr needs to be given an opportunity and then kept in the lineup.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:54 PM
  #44
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Prucha LW, Sykora RW, Moore C, Ortmeyer RW, Hollweg LW

Many players are out of position (natural positions). All for a worthless player that does NOTHING TO ENHANCE THE TEAM!!!
Prucha can play LW very well, Sykora played RW last game because that's where Renney wanted him. I made a mistake, it's Prucha-Nylander-Moore, there ya go. Ortmeyer can play LW, it won't affect his hustle and checking.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
  #45
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
.....Orr needs to be given an opportunity and then kept in the lineup.
Why? The guy scored maybe 10 points in the Western Hockey League..Can't play, can't skate, and cant hit what he can't catch...And where did this fallacy of Orr being intimidating come from? The guy probably hasn't intimidated a a single player in his entire NHL career..He fight other goons, that's all he does..Yes, he does it well, but big whoop.....OTOH, you can bet your sweet arse that there are quiet a few players that give thought to being railroaded by Hollweg or a victim of Neimenin's dirty crap...

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
  #46
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Why? The guy scored maybe 10 points in the Western Hockey League..Can't play, can't skate, and cant hit what he can't catch...And where did this fallacy of Orr being intimidating come from? The guy probably hasn't intimidated a a single player in his entire NHL career..He fight other goons, that's all he does..Yes, he does it well, but big whoop.....OTOH, you can bet your sweet arse that there are quiet a few players that give thought to being railroaded by Hollweg or a victim of Neimenin's dirty crap...
Are you kidding me. How about reading my whole post rather than taking the last sentence, that should answer your question. McGrattan and all the other big fighters can't catch too well, but when they do you better watch out. Nieminen's DIRTY CRAP? A love tap to the goalie after he covers isn't dirty, neither are his soft checks which he throws here and there, or his not DIRTY but FOOLISH CRAP which he usually gets called for. When he plays his game he does it with hard hits, and setting screens and agitating a goalie usually. Sure, everyone keeps a heads up for Hollweg...I love the kid and I want him in, not sure where your trying to get at there

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 11:34 PM
  #47
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I'm all for adding a guy who can drop the gloves and provide something else on the ice.

Just don't see Colton Orr as that guy. What has ever done on ANY level that shows he is more than just a pure fighter?

This isn't a kid who put up some numbers at the junior levels (like say Parker) where you could at least say "Well there's some skill there".

Edge is offline  
Old
01-24-2006, 12:03 AM
  #48
TJF
Registered User
 
TJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316
I truly feel bad for the guy. It can't help his confidence to sit every night. He plays like 20 games for Boston, maybe one or two scratches in that time now he plays like once a month if that. The Bruins would definitely take him back. Well at least Providence fans would love him back. He played a regular shift there.
He may have played 20 games in Boston but he was lucky if he was getting 1-2 minutes of ice time per game. In one game against Pittsburgh his total ice time for the game was 1 second, he came out for a faceoff, lined up next to Andre Roy, they dropped the gloves right away and Orr never saw the ice again for the rest of the night. Right now Orr is very one-dimisional, Boston's coaching staff didn't trust him enough for him to be taking a regular shift on the 4th line and now the Rangers are in the exact same boat. Boston tried to send him down to get him more ice time, if the Rangers do it to another team will pick him up simply because when it comes to his fighting skills he's one of the best in the league and every team wants protection for their stars.

TJF is offline  
Old
01-24-2006, 12:29 AM
  #49
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Orr's ATOI in Boston was about 1:30 a game. Maybe some coaches like to send their 4th liners out for 3 shifts a game, but Renney isn't one of them. The Rangers need to play all lines regularly to click and Orr 's game just isn't up to snuff. Maybe if he takes powerskating lessons like Jason Ward, he can contribute next season. I imagine he'll get into a few more games this year, since we have a lot of return engagements with divisional rivals and we can alway insert him for a rematch if things get rough.

I'm sure Orr and Janssens have fought in the AHL. I wonder how they matched up. Just because someone's a desgnated fighter, doesn't mean he'll hold up well against another team's goon (see Gillies vs. Boogard). BTW, did Janssens' presence "protect" Grant Marshall from Kasparaitus?

bmoak is offline  
Old
01-24-2006, 02:39 AM
  #50
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Colton Orr

I can't believe there are threads on this guy on the R's Board. He did absolutely nothing last year in the aHL and even less in his stint with Boston. The fact that he's been on the ice for only two or so games since being claimed off waivers valuates Boston's view of his talent (or lack thereof).

Ratty is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.