HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver / Columbus

Old
02-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Vancouver / Columbus

To
Marc Methot
Jared Boll

To
Keith Ballard
2012 3rd Round
2013 3rd Round

Thoughts?

Last edited by Royal Canuck: 02-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
why does CBJ do this?

wahsnairb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
why does CBJ do this?
Draft picks plus a bit of a switchup in the dressing room.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Cu Culann

Defensive defenseman to replace Ballard, throw in a gritty RW for the playoffs, I li... Wait... neither of these guys is healthy.

Take out the third and its a maybe.

Edit: there are two thirds now? CBJ must pretty high on those guys.

Cu Culann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Canucks don't have a 3rd round pick this year.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
denkiteki

Canucks got 1 of their 2 3rd rounders back from the Booth trade but don't have the other (forgot which one they gave Florida for Higgins last year). They don't have the other due to the deadline deal for Lappy so this trade isn't possible.

Boll would be nice but honestly i don't see him being an upgrade over Bitz (limited action) unless Bitz isn't healthy. He looked impressive the few games he played (enough to convince me he's pretty much as good as you get for a 4th liner given he can move up the lines, is a decent fighter, and hits like a beast).

Methot is interesting but isn't an upgrade over Ballard. Unless we need the cap space (due to a different trade), no reason to trade Ballard right now. Lots of reason to trade him in either this off season or next (make room for Elder's contract).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:38 AM
mstad101

Another one bites the dust from SuperSwede.

This is not really would I'd be looking for, as I don't think very highly of Methot, I see him as slow and not have very high puck skills.

Boll is a meh player who I don't think we need. We already have Bitz Duco Weise in that role, and just because he's got like 100+ NHL games, doesn't make him better.

Ill stick with the guys who at least know the system. Maybe look at this in the offseason if Ballard is needed out for salary cap purposes. That's about the only reason to downgrade here

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Another one bites the dust from SuperSwede.

This is not really would I'd be looking for, as I don't think very highly of Methot, I see him as slow and not have very high puck skills.

Boll is a meh player who I don't think we need. We already have Bitz Duco Weise in that role, and just because he's got like 100+ NHL games, doesn't make him better.

Ill stick with the guys who at least know the system. Maybe look at this in the offseason if Ballard is needed out for salary cap purposes. That's about the only reason to downgrade here
Thats the main reason of this deal for me, cap space.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:01 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
We don't need cap space till next season. And the 'nucks are one of the few organizations in the NHL that can eat Ballard's salary in the AHL (i.e. Redden NYR) if we have to. Also for this deadline, we can keep Ballard on LTIR till the playoffs and his cap hit won't effect any trades we make during this deadline (which likely would be none).

You won't see the 'nucks make a trade just for the sake of getting rid of a bad contract. Instead its the opposite... they'll make trades where they bury players for other team (i.e. the Booth trade earlier in the year with steve reinprecht). Of course Reinprecht seems to have found his game again and could be an asset for us come playoff time but right now we are helping Florida eat his 2.1mil in the AHL.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:14 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Tell me who in this Free Agent crop of defense do you covet so much that you think an extra 4.2 million will be available for this price?
I'm willing to commit to the idea of 6.2 since Salo is a possible retiring player.
But then you minus Tanev's cap hit from that.

Right now Vancouver has one of the better defense corps in the league, but yet we wanna add to our depth. Ballard provides a necessary depth option, since we lost our #1 shut down guy last Finals.
A healthy Ballard comes playoffs is the only thing I really want right now.
A loss to the preds doesn't exactly scream make a trade either.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote