HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goal celebration

Old
02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
Goal celebration

I was watching game 7 of habs-b's in 79 earlier today. After Middleton's goal late in the third, the whole Boston bench seems to empty to celebrate the goal. This seems rather strange, no?

Was this a common thing for teams to do after a big goal? After Lafleur's goal, Montreal players on the bench stay put.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
I was watching game 7 of habs-b's in 79 earlier today. After Middleton's goal late in the third, the whole Boston bench seems to empty to celebrate the goal. This seems rather strange, no?

Was this a common thing for teams to do after a big goal? After Lafleur's goal, Montreal players on the bench stay put.
It was pretty common back in the day actually, especially by the Habs.
Don Cherry even has a story about it how the Habs almost always all came off the bench on a goal.
So one time after the Habs scored and they emptied the bench, Cherry sent his whole bench on the ice to "console" their goalie and pat him on the back. Scared the crap out of the officials heh.

Suffice to say, it wasn't long after this that the league outlawed bench clearing celebrations during a game.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
I don't know , but I do know nobody can beat Carl Carmoni in the celebration department.Still remember his awesome celebration at the mini-golf near place versaille.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:09 PM
mbhhofr

I know that the rule was changed in NCAA College Hockey in 1978. Herb Brooks, who was coaching Minnesota at the time, would always empty his bench to congratulate the goal scorer whenever an important goal was scored. They changed the rule so that a bench minor for delay of game was given to the offending team. It was called the Herb Brooks rule.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Big Phil

Yeah 1979 is when it changed for the NHL, I believe. Cherry did this so that Montreal would be intimidated. When the refs complained Cherry claimed that if Montreal does it so does Boston. After that no team could empty the bench for a goal celebration save for overtime. Example: Henderson's goal in 1972 the bench empties. Lemieux's goal in 1987 the bench doesn't empty.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:23 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I know that the rule was changed in NCAA College Hockey in 1978. Herb Brooks, who was coaching Minnesota at the time, would always empty his bench to congratulate the goal scorer whenever an important goal was scored. They changed the rule so that a bench minor for delay of game was given to the offending team. It was called the Herb Brooks rule.
Interesting, and makes a lot of sense. Team USA definitely did it under Brooks for the 1980 olympics, too.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote