HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky's interview to Sovetskiy Sport (2/22/2012)

Old
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky's interview to Sovetskiy Sport (2/22/2012)

Sergey Boborovsky: There is no such a thing as friendship here.
Sergey Bobrovsky interview to “Sovetskiy Sport” (2/22/2012)

“I agree with Jagr”

Q: There is never clarity with goalkeeper situation in Philadelphia. Have you gotten used to it?
A: Everything was new in my rookie season. Another world, another language… I was playing well in the beginning. Then, by the end of the long championship, I started to twitch, lost confidence.
I analyzed what I need to work on during the summer. Nobody cares about your condition or your thoughts. You have to get on the ice and bring victories.

Q: The trade deadline is next Monday, and any player can be traded. Are you emotionally ready to change the team?
A: I am in Philadelphia now. I try to help my team as I can. I am not preparing for a trade. I think about coming games only.

Q: Well, let me tweak the question: Are you emotionally attached to Philadelphia? Or do you think like Jaromir Jagr, who had said that it does not matter where you play as long as you play your best hockey?
A: Perhaps, I agree with Jagr. Most important is to play. Everything changes around very quickly. One should not get attached to something, or regret. The calendar is very demanding- 3-4 games a week. There is no time for emotions.
I respect Philadelphia, I like the organization and its people. But if trade happens… That’s life. And that’s my job.

Q: Flyers general manager, Paul Holmgren, said that he had never seen more diligent player than Bobrovsky. Was this a last year or this year evaluation?
A: Probably, an overall impression. I think that a person makes himself. I have an opportunity to gain experience, some skills. I try to lay myself out every training, to work on my strength, agility and psychology. Overall, I work hard to make myself better. The hardest part- I am not always aware when I get to play. Had I been told in advance, I would have worked even harder. Uncertainty is very uncomfortable.

“Ilya is a very good goalie”

Q: You were a starting goalie last season, now you are Ilya Bryzgalov’s back-up. Are you OK with that?
A: It is experience also. Ilya is a good goalie; there is so much to learn from him. Bryzgalov helps me and advises me a lot. I am thankful for that.

Q: Who are your friend on the team?
A: There is no such a thing as “friendship”. We talk in the locker room. I am not doing much outside the rink. I go back to my wife at once. Sometimes we go out to dinner.

Q: Was it the same for you in Russia? Or did you spend some time with other guys?
A: I do not like to digress during a season. I like to concentrate; there is no time for fun. Only when the season is over I enjoy being with friends- I am a different guy then.

Q: Is that your personality?
A: Yes, I am calm and reasonable. I do not like false in people. It deters me immediately. Other than that, I can find common language with anyone. I try to maintain good relationships and do good.

“Why did I even go to see Snoop Dog?”

Q: Jeff Reese told that he had invited you to the Snoop Dog concert last year.
A: I had just arrived in America, did not know a word of English. They spent a lot of time trying to explain to me that there is an opportunity to see Snoop Dog live. I have hard time getting it. I went with a few guys from the team. They talk among themselves and I am sitting aside. We tried to see Snoop Dog before the concert, but were stopped by a bunch of bodyguards. Who knows, why I even went to see him if I did not speak English?
Suddenly, the fight broke out near us between 2 huge black girls- I did not realize that there are fights here like at the Russian village disco.
I left at the half and went to bed early. Jeff and I agreed to start our workouts early. It’s more important to get ready for the championship than get loose at a concert.

Q: You visited a basketball match recently. Do you like the game?
A: I went to the NBA game in Miami- they have a great tem. Pity, Olga was sick and was not able to go. We had an opportunity to see it again in Philadelphia. We had court side seats. Great show!

Q: As exciting as American football?
A: I saw it once- it was boring. Scott Hartnell hosted a Super Bowl party. The whole team was invited. I went, but…I’ve got lost. I was not able to punch in his address into the navigator. I gave up after driving around for 1.5 hour. Sent him a text: “Sorry Scott…”

Q: Did your parents visit you?
A: Yes, they stayed for a month. We went to Miami for 5 days, we swam in the ocean. My parents attended “Winter Classic”- unforgettable show. I just let in a stupid goal. I was extremely upset.

Q: I told your coach that you played against the best goalie in the NHL and he corrected me- “the best in the world”. Have you been thinking about that loss a lot.
A: It’s worth to think about it for one day, analyze mistakes. You must clear your head the very next morning.
And when you are playing, it does not matter who is on the opposite end of the rink. The best or the worst- there are no authorities in this game. Yes, you respect your opponent. Lundquist is a great player. But when I get to play against him, I am not concerned with the name on his jersey.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 02-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Thanks, CSKA. Another great job.

Bob is hilarious. Snoop Dogg concerts to getting lost on his way to Hartnell's Super Bowl party...

His attitude and work ethic are top notch.

02-22-2012, 07:31 PM
SgtJoseph

Great article.......Now i am 100% that Jeff Reese is a terrible goalie coach.......Snoop Dog ? Fergetaboutit ! What a total loser !Get Sean Burke here ! LOL

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Thanks again! These are always great.

02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Thanks, CSKA. Another great job.

Bob is hilarious. Snoop Dogg concerts to getting lost on his way to Hartnell's Super Bowl party...

His attitude and work ethic are top notch.
Thank you humbly. I am working on Jeff Reese's interview to the same reporter.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:50 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post

Q: You were a starting goalie last season, now you are Ilya Bryzgalov’s back-up. Are you OK with that?

A: It is experience also. Ilya is a good goalie; there is so much to learn from him. Bryzgalov helps me and advises me a lot. I am thankful for that.
When I read this, I immediately thought of this;

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
CSKA1974

I actually thought of not translating this part because the posts like that. This is not about Bryz...

Old
02-22-2012, 08:01 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Someone can't take a joke...

Old
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Someone can't take a joke...
Guilty as charged

Old
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Bobrovsky has been a lot worse lately and he has been getting advice from Bryzgalov.

Could this be a coincidence? I don't think so.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Guilty as charged
Honestly I think of that clip every time I see/hear the word "advises", so really I'm the child

Old
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

In all honesty though, I really like Bobrovsky and feel like we made the wrong decision. This kid is unbelievably athletic and I don't think I've ever seen a goalie or a hockey player with this kind of work ethic. Everything he says reverts back to his love and dedication towards the game. And I'm sure some of it even gets lost in translation from Russian to English.

He just seems to care so much about the game, about making himself a better goalie and about winning a championship. I feel bad for him, I feel like he got pulled prematurely last year (as a rookie) and they then gave him no chance signing Bryzgalov to a massive deal.

It has to be tough for Bob, feeling like you played pretty well last year as a rookie, showing the work ethic and the drive to be one of the best, doing/saying all the right things only to have your owner / GM basically tell you they do not believe in you.

Best of luck to Bobs wherever he ends up (hopefully he stays in Philly); he deserves to be a starter wherever he goes.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Honestly I think of that clip every time I see/hear the word "advises", so really I'm the child
That calls for a pint of good beer.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Good post. Thanks for posting. Love the kids mentality.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
In all honesty though, I really like Bobrovsky and feel like we made the wrong decision. This kid is unbelievably athletic and I don't think I've ever seen a goalie or a hockey player with this kind of work ethic. Everything he says reverts back to his love and dedication towards the game. And I'm sure some of it even gets lost in translation from Russian to English.

He just seems to care so much about the game, about making himself a better goalie and about winning a championship. I feel bad for him, I feel like he got pulled prematurely last year (as a rookie) and they then gave him no chance signing Bryzgalov to a massive deal.

It has to be tough for Bob, feeling like you played pretty well last year as a rookie, showing the work ethic and the drive to be one of the best, doing/saying all the right things only to have your owner / GM basically tell you they do not believe in you.

Best of luck to Bobs wherever he ends up (hopefully he stays in Philly); he deserves to be a starter wherever he goes.
I agree with you. We rushed the guy to the NHL needlessly and should have just ran the season with him.

Then we throw buckets of $$ and years at someone else. He will likely be gone...
Can he just bolt to Russia now? As an RFA? Didn't radulov do something like this?

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

That was a fun read...

I like his description of the Snoop Dog concert and the two black girls fighting. Him getting lost and sending that text to Hartnell was the funniest. If I was at the party and drunk and then got that text from him I would probably be laughing for a long time.

Bob should send Bryz a text when he takes his starting job

"Sorry Ilya....."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Beastieboy

Thanks for translating. Bob sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders. I had the opportunity to watch a Flyers practice about 3 weeks ago and I was really impressed by him. He was out early taking shots, penalty shots, working on all kinds of stuff and stayed on the ice with some of the guys well after practice ended. I wish he was getting some better results for his efforts lately.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
BernieParent

I like Bob, too, but I disagree with the 20/20 hindsight of "We should have stuck with Bob as our #1." The spitshow that was the goalie carousel in last season's playoffs, and the Flyer being the NHL's punch line because of it, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

By all accounts, Bob came unwound to start the playoffs. This was after tailing off enormously as the season ended. Boucher was the de facto #1 going into the playoffs. What would the odds be that this undrafted rookie from near obscurity would turn it all around over the summer on his sophomore season? Unscientifically, I'm going to say not good ones.

Bryzgalov, at the time, was a good move, albeit for too much cash and years. Yes, there is merit to compare/contrast with Vokoun, but like I've said before, I highly doubt Holmgren signs Vokoun to the discount rate he got with Washington because the Flyers were the goalie market. Vokoun could have been the better move, but I still stand by Holmgren doing something big rather than nothing at all.

Who remembers off-season 2010? We were desperate for Holmgren to sign Nabokov, Turco or Mason. Heck, I think I posted about the merits of Pascal Leclaire. Holmgren was widely torched here for doing nothing, and then resigning Leighton.

I'm very pleased with Bob's turnaround, and enormously disappointed with Bryz's work to date. But at the time, I firmly believe it was a better move than standing pat.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
silver surfer

vCash: 1253
Thanks for posting that. I really hope we can find a way to keep him for a while longer. I like the fact that we found him - didn't sign him away from a team as a free agent or trade for him. He's home grown. And I think he has great upside. And obviously a great attitude and work ethic. I really hope we don't end up losing him.

Last edited by silver surfer: 02-23-2012 at 01:19 AM.
silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Mgkibbles

LET BOB STAY! LET BOB STAY! LET BOB STAY!

Anybody wanna start a "CUT BRYZ NOW" chant?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:52 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks CSKA!

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
DUHockey9

Bob's work ethic is unreal! It really is admirable.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
ORYX

As much as I like his work ethic and determination to be a great goalie, I think part of his problem here is that he is too dedicated and can't take a night off.

some of his quotes are redflags for me, like not wanting friends, will only have friendly chat until the off season? Sorry Bob but these are your teammates, you don't have to friends with them, but if you want better team cohesion and for them to sacrifice themselves for you, you had better make a better effort of at the least showing up for the party, or going to dinner with them on occassion.

He seems way too reclusive for my liking to be perfectly honest with you.

Love the work ethic, but I'd like to see more of an effort to be 'part of the team' so to speak.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Thanks CSKA!
It's my pleasure. Really

Old
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
As much as I like his work ethic and determination to be a great goalie, I think part of his problem here is that he is too dedicated and can't take a night off.

some of his quotes are redflags for me, like not wanting friends, will only have friendly chat until the off season? Sorry Bob but these are your teammates, you don't have to friends with them, but if you want better team cohesion and for them to sacrifice themselves for you, you had better make a better effort of at the least showing up for the party, or going to dinner with them on occassion.

He seems way too reclusive for my liking to be perfectly honest with you.

Love the work ethic, but I'd like to see more of an effort to be 'part of the team' so to speak.
I somewhat agree but guess you have to put it in the context of him still not being culturally acclimated. Goalies are weird anyway....look at Bryz..heck even Thomas with his political stuff. I'm not that worried about him being somewhat reclusive during the season. He probably needs to chill a bit but I'm sure his Russian wife who he seems enamored with helps him out. At least he's not going out and poundin' double shots of vodka and other "things."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote