HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Vermette to PHX for '12 2nd (OTT), '13 Cond 4th, G Curtis McElhinney

Old
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
Quit saying silly false things and he just might.
Yah, yah....

Edit: close this one down, Vermette is history.

Last edited by Robert: 02-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:11 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Seen AP tweet that Vermette's bags were lost during his fight to join PHX.

02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
punk_o_holic

Does Columbus plan on using the money saved during the Summer via acquiring players in a trade or a UFA signing? If so, depending on who we get, don't mind the trade.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Does Columbus plan on using the money saved during the Summer via acquiring players in a trade or a UFA signing? If so, depending on who we get, don't mind the trade.
Depends on who you ask on this board. Some think it is a sign that the team is going to slash payroll and some see it as money that will be spent in the off season.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
The honest truth here, Howson lowerd our cap hit with this move... it was a good trade..

Old
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1800
Howson lowered our cap hit last year by trading away Klesla. That didn't work out too well.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Depends on who you ask on this board. Some think it is a sign that the team is going to slash payroll and some see it as money that will be spent in the off season.
I'm not expecting to spend up to the cap again but I hope they spend some money this off season(using Vermette's,Huselius',Phallson's,Martinek's money) and not go cheap and go in a full rebuild using our AHL prospects and cheaper signings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The honest truth here, Howson lowerd our cap hit with this move... it was a good trade..
Especially the cap hit for our centers. Vermette wasn't a number 1 or 2 center for Columbus and would have been a decent 3rd liner if he was cheaper but he wasn't. So our centers would look like..
Brassard
Johansen
Letestu/Mackenzie(if he re signs)
Mackenzie/Letestu

Not bad if we go for a rebuild but if Howson still wants to make the playoffs next season, looks weak. We would need to upgrade or get some wingers.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Scotty doesn't know.

It'd have to be taking on salary via trade, as we're going to be the last option for any UFAs before dropping to AHL.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Howson lowered our cap hit last year by trading away Klesla. That didn't work out too well.
Spent that on Wiz

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

There's going to be some overlap, but as the discussion drifts away from the specific Vermette trade, try to move on to the Player Movement Thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1114971

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
That was then, this is now... point noted however.

As for the normal CBJ stuff, ya think Rusty will buy him a beer?

Old
02-22-2012, 10:35 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
It helped get Wiz here, but I guess it depends on your view of the Wiz signing if that was a good or bad thing. I think in the long run it was a good thing but only if a shut down D man is added to go along with Wiz.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:00 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1800
Quote:
It helped get Wiz here, but I guess it depends on your view of the Wiz signing if that was a good or bad thing. I think in the long run it was a good thing but only if a shut down D man is added to go along with Wiz.
My understanding was that the Wiz signing was more directly tied to not resigning Hejda. My point being however, trading Klesla and the atrocious blueline that was put together for 2011-12.

Trading Vermette is clearly a salary dump. Enticing a free agent to come to Columbus isnt a given (not if they want to compete for the cup), and the CBJ might have to overpay to lure in talent. The 2nd they get in return has what about a 20% chance of ever playing for Columbus in a couple years?

Edit to add: I have no issue with dealing Vermette. I just dont have a whole lot of confidence in the front office that is blowing up the team and will put together our 2012-13 roster.

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 02-22-2012 at 11:07 PM.
IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
If this were the only trade that would result in extra cap space, it could be used in the summer. But it would be a bad idea to spend $16 million plus (Nash/Carter/Vermette/Pahlsson/Juice) in one summer.

We'll most assuredly be a lower dollar team next year. It is how the money is spent that's more important than the dollar amount.

If defense isn't acquired via trade, we'll regret it. Not enough talent in free agency this summer to justify the cost. Forget about Weber fantasies, etc.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If this were the only trade that would result in extra cap space, it could be used in the summer. But it would be a bad idea to spend $16 million plus (Nash/Carter/Vermette/Pahlsson/Juice) in one summer.

We'll most assuredly be a lower dollar team next year. It is how the money is spent that's more important than the dollar amount.

If defense isn't acquired via trade, we'll regret it. Not enough talent in free agency this summer to justify the cost. Forget about Weber fantasies, etc.
It'll be a weird year for free agency in general, since no one has any idea what a new CBA will end up looking like. The fact that there's something like 10 weeks between the start of free agency and the expiration of the current CBA could make things very interesting.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Hey guys, Coyotes fan. Do you guys really think Vermette can never produce (like he did) again? It doesn't seem like he's had any injuries and 27 points in 60 games isn't completely terrible for the easily last place team that's notorious for it's bad losing culture and iffy management (sorry, Coyotes know what that's like too.) It didn't seem like that long ago when Jeff Carter was barely above a .5 PPG rate too though I recently checked and it seems like that's changed.

Looking at his numbers and health history, Vermette seems like a prime candidate for a change of scenery. Thanks.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
But Vermette was hardly a "marginal" player Bob, we just turned him into one.
"We" turned him into a marginal player? How about some player accountability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Hey guys, Coyotes fan. Do you guys really think Vermette can never produce (like he did) again? It doesn't seem like he's had any injuries and 27 points in 60 games isn't completely terrible for the easily last place team that's notorious for it's bad losing culture and iffy management (sorry, Coyotes know what that's like too.) It didn't seem like that long ago when Jeff Carter was barely above a .5 PPG rate too though I recently checked and it seems like that's changed.

Looking at his numbers and health history, Vermette seems like a prime candidate for a change of scenery. Thanks.
When we acquired Vermette a few years ago, what stood out to me was how quick he was. I haven't seen that in a couple of years. It also seems like his decision making has been really poor. Maybe the change of scenery will give him a spark, since he'll be playing in his first meaningful games in months.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
We got 3.75 million to spend on somebody who could contribute.

already found. Mark Letestu says "Hi"
One down, two to go.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
It'll be a weird year for free agency in general, since no one has any idea what a new CBA will end up looking like. The fact that there's something like 10 weeks between the start of free agency and the expiration of the current CBA could make things very interesting.
It should be mass chaos. The players union will attempt to extort even more money from the owners. The owners will fight to roll back costs. Players will still be paid too much. There is be even more disparity, at time goes on, from the big market to the small market teams.

In other words, nothing productive will come from the fighting.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

The only problem with Vermette was that contract. He's a solid player that had an off year playing for 2 different coaches on 3 different lines. We took a hit in the character department on this one.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:

Totally agree. I think he will thrive in Phoenix and be a great piece there. A 2nd rounder and not having to take any money on for next year is great value for us. Good deal for both sides...say hi to Rust for me

IHeartZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:47 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Hey guys, Coyotes fan. Do you guys really think Vermette can never produce (like he did) again?
I wouldn't be concerned with his performance this year and, to a less extent, last year. He should come in motivated and should be fine. His game should fit in quite well with what you have in Phx.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hey DSL, you have been tracking me for a month now, pick on someone else for a change... kay!
Untrue. I read every post equally. Yours was flat-out wrong.

That said, my post was a bit harshly-worded and for that I apologize.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The only problem with Vermette was that contract. He's a solid player that had an off year playing for 2 different coaches on 3 different lines. We took a hit in the character department on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Totally agree. I think he will thrive in Phoenix and be a great piece there. A 2nd rounder and not having to take any money on for next year is great value for us. Good deal for both sides...say hi to Rust for me
These two. Vermette is having a crap year. He is not a crap player. He's a quality contributor in a variety of ways. But he was making too much money.

For those who say folks are making too much of this I say this: I am pissed about this the same way I am about the Nash speculation - that the GM is forced to do something to fix a situation that he himself created. Taken in a vacuum this might not be a significant move, but in context it sucks. Luckily, Phoenix wants good players...

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Nikita Filatov

The return we received aside, good luck to Vermette and I hope he can regain some of that scoring magic he had when he first got here.

Makes me pretty sad because I thought he would be able to improve on top of his 65 point season, but that does not look very doable anymore. I thought he'd be a lock for 20+ goals a season and he could even get 50 assists on top of that one year.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote