HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Taking Theodore to arbitration?

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Taking Theodore to arbitration?

In the summer are the Habs able to take Theodore to arbitration? I thought I read somewhere that in the new CBA teams were able to do this. I'm not sure of all the details but is it possible for an arbitrator to restructure Theo's contract? From 5.5 to like 2.5?

Last edited by Tuggy: 01-24-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old
01-24-2006, 08:43 AM
ControlFreak

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
In the summer are the Habs able to take Theodore to arbitration? I thought I read somewhere that in the new CBA teams were able to do this. I'm sure of all the details but is it possible for an arbitrator to restructure Theo's contract? From 5.5 to like 2.5?
First I heard of this, however it sure would be sweet. Kinda like no guaranteed contracts.

Old
01-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Per several previous threads, arbitration is only for restricted free agents. Last summer was the last time ever in his career that Theodore was a restricted free agent. He never will be again. He'll be unrestricted at the end of his current contract. No arbitration.

Old
01-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

From what i remember, i think you are allowed to take 1 player a year (something like that) to arbitration. I read a post somewhere on here recently where a poster thought that it was only for RFAs.

This might go some way to explaining why GMs, for example Bob Gainey, have done things which have confused some fans over the course of the season. It may just be that he has read the entire CBA and knows what he can do while the rest of us are just running around guessing without knowing what is and isn't possible these days Maybe he does have it all figured out after all and he doesn't need to fire himself. Who'd have thought it

Old
01-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Players elect salary arbitration when they are Group II restricted free agents.
Now in the new CBA, teams can also take the players to salary arbitration when they are Group II restricted free agents.

This is basically all built around the idea of qualifying offers... restricted free agents have to receive qualifying offers of 100/105/110% depending on their previous salary, or else they become unrestricted free agents.

But what if a player did really well and deserves a much bigger raise? (E.g. maybe a Ryder scores 40 goals, but should he just get $1.1M instead of $1M? He wants $3M, knows the team won't budge, but a 40-goal scorer probably deserves $3M, so he goes to arbitration.) (Well, not Ryder specifically, since players have to have 4 years to choose arbitration).

And now, the teams can also decide to choose arbitration, either instead of making a qualifying offer, or after their QO has been rejected.

Old
01-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Not exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Closed Thread