HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
stalockrox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Texas definitely sucks, but come on.

Imagine if DW works his magic and can land Carter now for Mitchell + Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st (hell even two 1sts).

Then we use Carter for season and this playoffs.

Then in the offseason, Carter is flipped to an Eastern team that wants his services bad. In the offseason hockey trades are made, so you can get young talent plus a picks back.

If you can swap Mitchell + Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st (or even 2 1sts) for a rising star on an ELC and a 1st (or two firsts, both from a team who will pick higher than SJ), and enjoy Carter for the rest of this season and playoffs, that's simply brilliant asset management. And if anyone can pull off this kind of stuff, it's DW.
Ya, sorry, hit post instead of preview...didn't mean to badmouth Texas and edited my post.

But still, when is the last time a GM made a move like that? We're getting into fantasy land with some of these proposals and ideas on what Wilson will do.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Ya, sorry, hit post instead of preview...didn't mean to badmouth Texas and edited my post.

But still, when is the last time a GM made a move like that? We're getting into fantasy land with some of these proposals and ideas on what Wilson will do.
Feel free to badmouth Texas all you want! I don't like it besides the cost of living.

DW signed RFA Seto then traded him three days later. Don't put it past DW to be shrewd like that. Maybe Carter goes for more than what I suggested, but what if you find someway to acquire him now, use him, and then in the offseason someone like Edmonton will offer Eberle+ for him? Such a flip could happen not even on purpose.

Carter's lack of NMC/NTC and Howson's desire to move him now (And Carter being disgruntled) means that DW has a chance to "buy low" now. So "buy low" now and if you want, "sell high" later. Maybe the Sharks will love Carter and won't deal him. But if someone will offer value, you always listen.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-23-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
If we got JVR I would be sooo happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_17RHGKNTY

JVR would be awesome depending on the price...especially if DW works miracles with a Nash for Clowe centered deal LOL...we're dreaming now.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Feel free to badmouth Texas all you want! I don't like it besides the cost of living.

DW signed RFA Seto then traded him three days later. Don't put it past DW to be shrewd like that. Maybe Carter goes for more than what I suggested, but what if you find someway to acquire him now, use him, and then in the offseason someone like Edmonton will offer Eberle+ for him? Such a flip could happen not even on purpose.

Carter's lack of NMC/NTC and Howson's desire to move him now (And Carter being disgruntled) means that DW has a chance to "buy low" now. So "buy low" now and if you want, "sell high" later. Maybe the Sharks will love Carter and won't deal him. But if someone will offer value, you always listen.
Part of what devalues Carter now will still be there in the off-season. The term on his contract is ridiculous and other GMs will be circumspect with a guy who already showed that he can become disgruntled with a new location much less his other issues. If he doesn't hold much value now, he is not likely to appreciate that much in value later meaning that DW would likely get a similar package back if he could trade him at all.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Part of what devalues Carter now will still be there in the off-season. The term on his contract is ridiculous and other GMs will be circumspect with a guy who already showed that he can become disgruntled with a new location much less his other issues. If he doesn't hold much value now, he is not likely to appreciate that much in value later meaning that DW would likely get a similar package back if he could trade him at all.
Good point. I guess the question is, at what point (in terms of what Sharks have to give up) does Carter make sense? If Howson says "Take Carter off my hands for Mitchell/Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st," is that simply too cheap to pass up? What is that point where it is just too much of a steal for Sharks to pass up?

Or is the thought that Carter for (essentially) free still isn't worth it?

Old
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Good point. I guess the question is, at what point (in terms of what Sharks have to give up) does Carter make sense? If Howson says "Take Carter off my hands for Mitchell/Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st," is that simply too cheap to pass up? What is that point where it is just too much of a steal for Sharks to pass up?

Or is the though that Carter for (essentially) free still isn't worth it?
I really wouldn't put any stock into those articles that claim that's all Howson is after, with that said, in my opinion, if Howson called up Wilson and said I'll give you Carter for Mitchell/Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st, Wilson would make the deal and walk away laughing.

Carter may have some 'issues' and an insanely long contract but he's still a very good hockey player.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I really wouldn't put any stock into those articles that claim that's all Howson is after, with that said, in my opinion, if Howson called up Wilson and said I'll give you Carter for Mitchell/Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st, Wilson would make the deal and walk away laughing.

Carter may have some 'issues' and an insanely long contract but he's still a very good hockey player.
So what's the point where, if it was any more, it's too much, if it is any little, it's too little?

Clowe + 1st (or Clowe + prospect + 1st) for Carter? Is that above the line?

Mitchell/Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st + 2nd? Is that above the line?

Just wondering what the sweet spot (Sharks POV) is for a Carter to SJ deal before this deadline.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Just wondering what the sweet spot (Sharks POV) is for a Carter to SJ deal before this deadline.
A number of prospects and picks, but I don't see that happening. Columbus traded Carter for Voracek, Couturier, and Cousins, so I assume they want something at least close to that value. If they don't get it, they don't have to move Carter.
I could live with a package around Clowe for Carter, but that still leaves the Sharks lacking depth after their Top-6.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
So according to the media our post-deadline forward lineup is:

Ovechkin-Hemsky-Semin
Nash-Carter-JVR
Selanne-Thornton-Doan
Marleau-Avery-Couture

Old
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Sharks GM Doug Wilson will get health updates on M. Havlat and D. Murray over next few days; that will impact his trade deadline decisions

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
02-23-2012, 12:25 PM
hockeyball

Posted this on another one of those idiotic Pavelski for Nash threads on the trade board, thought you guys might like to see it too.

Rick Nash 2011 Rick Nash 2012 Joe Pavelski 2011 Joe Pavelski 2012
Goals 32 20 20 22
Assists 34 22 46 24
Points 66 42 66 46
Games 75 60 74 58
+- +2 -21 +10 +16
GWG 7 1 5 1
Corsi 4.49 -1.91 15.56 13.24
QC Corsi .218 .599 .581 1.295
faceoff % 29.2% 35.3% 54.3% 60.8%
Salary $7.8M $7.8M $4M $4M

I flat out don't see how in the freaking world someone can think that makes sense.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
wishman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
So according to the media our post-deadline forward lineup is:

Ovechkin-Hemsky-Semin
Nash-Carter-JVR
Selanne-Thornton-Doan
Marleau-Avery-Couture
We are getting Avery??? SWEEEET!!!

Old
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I flat out don't see how in the freaking world someone can think that makes sense.
- Columbus is an East Coast team
- Pavs is underrated (obviously .. )
- The general argument with regards to point is ALWAYS .. but Pavs played on Jumbo's wing in 2011-12 and/or he faced lower competition in 2010-2011.

We will seriously never win the argument so probably should just let it go. Its just getting old. Like I said I want it to be 3:01 PM EST on the 27th already. WITHOUT NASH.

02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
- Columbus is an East Coast team
- Pavs is underrated (obviously .. )
- The general argument with regards to point is ALWAYS .. but Pavs played on Jumbo's wing in 2011-12 and/or he faced lower competition in 2010-2011.

We will seriously never win the argument so probably should just let it go. Its just getting old. Like I said I want it to be 3:01 PM EST on the 27th already. WITHOUT NASH.
Clearly. It's one thing for it to be a close debate and people to disagree, but it's so cut and dry it's just dumb founding.

Pav's btw faced almost twice the competition than Nash did both seasons

Old
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
maryb

Quote:
ive seen people posting marleau/demers/prospect/1st for nash too. i'm sure marleau's stats would look the same if not better vs pavelski's (minus the salary). the guy is the original face of the sharks for years and years. kills a lot of depth for what would possibly by a lateral(if you can even call it lateral, definitely not defensively, speed wise, etc etc) movement straight up marleau for nash.

some people just dont understand concepts of give and take, and just see big names in other places and get star-struck

Old
02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Clearly. It's one thing for it to be a close debate and people to disagree, but it's so cut and dry it's just dumb founding.

Pav's btw faced almost twice the competition than Nash did both seasons
Its because Nash is a flashy game breaker whereas pavs is not. If you dont watch both players a lot you are likely not going to come to any other conclusion other than Nash >>>>>> Pavs

If the Sharks could move Havlat or Clowe for Nash, I would do it but the salary difference between what Pavs brings and what Nash brings is a non starter for the Sharks.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Sharks GM Doug Wilson will get health updates on M. Havlat and D. Murray over next few days; that will impact his trade deadline decisions
So if Murray is out for the year.......we need a d-man. Pronto.

Forget Carter/Nash etc.......we need a person with bad intentions on the blueline.

Sounds like DW may sit until the weekend for a medical update before anything gets done.

02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post

Forget Carter/Nash etc.......we need a person with bad intentions on the blueline.

Sounds like DW may sit until the weekend for a medical update before anything gets done.
Maybe DW's main source of entertainment is readying the HFBoards forums and laughing at us? This gives him a whole 3 more days of reading about Nash and Carter.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Kitten Mittons

Great news, we are trading for Suter!

Old
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
one2gamble

Quote:

Or the SHarks can just stop playing C.WHite.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:

Unless it's a head fake, which I doubt, that's what I was thinking too. God, I hope Murray is OK.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Kitten Mittons

Burns-Demers
Boyle-Vlasic
Braun-Vandermeer
White

Do we really need a dman though? Yeah it's a bit soft but at least they can move the puck.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Burns-Demers
Boyle-Vlasic
Braun-Vandermeer
White

Do we really need a dman though? Yeah it's a bit soft but at least they can move the puck.
Now imagine if one of Boyle/Burns/Vlasic goes down in the playoffs?

Old
02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Now imagine if one of Boyle/Burns/Vlasic goes down in the playoffs?
Matt Irwin. And besides, it's not like Murray would ever be able to replace what Boyle/Burns bring to the team.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
hockeyball

I actually wouldn't mind Clitsome from CBJ if he could be obtained reasonably. Wonder if CBJ would take an injured Murray (if he's done for the season) just to have him for next year.

Closed Thread