HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

After 20 games, I think it's safe to say...

Old
11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I was really hoping they would bring Handzus back at a cheaper price tag. The $2.5 million per year for him isn't bad, but I'm guessing Lombardi didn't want to give the two years. At this point it's looking like it might not have been a bad idea to give Handzus a two year deal.
i forget where i heard this form. and i dont even know if it was true but zues really wanted to come back and at a discounted price! hope that wasnt true...he also plays Terry Murray and DL hockey. you would think DL would jump at the chance to sign him for a discount, so who knows if there was any truth to him wanting to come back for cheap. whats done is done and now he is on the sharks... i hate the sound of that

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
i forget where i heard this form. and i dont even know if it was true but zues really wanted to come back and at a discounted price! hope that wasnt true...he also plays Terry Murray and DL hockey. you would think DL would jump at the chance to sign him for a discount, so who knows if there was any truth to him wanting to come back for cheap. whats done is done and now he is on the sharks... i hate the sound of that
Same. I cringed when he signed with the Sharks. Just gross. I'm guessing Lombardi thought Stoll and Lewis would be able to pick up a lot of Handzus' responsibilities, but they haven't been able to do it so far.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:33 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Same. I cringed when he signed with the Sharks. Just gross. I'm guessing Lombardi thought Stoll and Lewis would be able to pick up a lot of Handzus' responsibilities, but they haven't been able to do it so far.
lets change the subject ha!... kings game! perfect timing! on to the GDT thread! go kings!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

I'm just tired of SJ winning the division every year. I thought this was gonna be our year to take over. Heck, I thought last year was the year.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Prove with stats that the Kings have a top 10 offense that can compete for the Stanley Cup.

Thanks.
A little late but I just caught this now. My point that stats only prove what happened, not what will, still stands, but to say that and not respond is kind of a cop out, so I'll give stats a shot.

If you take the best year of every player on the roster that was dressed tonight (in the last two years to keep guys like Gagne and Williams in check) and add them together, it looks like this:

Anze Kopitar 34
Mike Richards 31
Dustin Brown 28 (career high 33)
Justin Williams 22 (career high 33)
Dustin Penner 21 (career high 32)
Jarret Stoll 20 (career high 22)
Simon Gagne 17 (career high 47)
Trent Hunter 11 (career high 25)
Ethan Moreau 9 (career high 20)
Kyle Clifford 7
Colin Fraser 7
Kevin Westgarth 1

Drew Doughty 16
Jack Johnson 8
Matt Greene 2
Rob Scuderi 2
Willie Mitchell 5
Slava Voynov 2

That's just 12 forwards and it doesn't include Richardson, Lewis, and Loktionov. The defense numbers don't include Martinez. Still, if every player in the lineup plays to their current ability based on reasonable expectations (and that's not even including potential returns to top form), that's 246 goals. That would have ranked us fourth last year. The Bruins had 244 regular-season goals.

So yes, the Kings, ON PAPER, have an offense that SHOULD be a top ten, if not top five, team. That's my best crack at the numbers thing.

Quote:
Blind optimism is good and fun for the off season, but once the season starts, you get to see real the problems and trends. The same issues from the past 250 games of Murray are plainly evident after 20 games with an improved roster. Who else do you look at other than the Coaching staff and the GM that keeps them around? Some just won't admit that Murray's system limits the offensive chances the players get per game. This means that the Kings need to score more goals with fewer chances, is that really something we should just expect over the next 62 games? Just have faith that the first 266 games with Murray were the exception and the next 62 games will be completely different?
I will fully admit that TM's system limits offensive chances the players get per game. I'd ask you to concede that TM's system is also among the most defensively-sound in the league and, when our defense and goaltender play a structured and symbiotic game, we have a chance to win every night based on our play in our own zone alone. I feel like that's an aspect of this team that goes widely unappreciated around here. The Kings have been top ten in fewest goals against for two straight seasons, three if you include this one. That's consistency. That's an elite defensive team. It's not sexy or exciting, but it's also not nothing.

Would I like this team to score more? Absolutely, and that's why the new personnel was brought on board. It hasn't clicked yet, and I'd be the first one to tell you that this team hasn't played to their ability night in and night out (understatement), but you have to look at what DL and TM have done in both bringing in new personnel and also trying to adapt the system to fit them and appreciate that they also recognize the lack of offense as an issue and are trying to address it. Our powerplay runs around Mike Richards on the half wall a lot of the time, allowing Kopi to play high to use his shot. Our penalty kill is encouraged to be more aggressive thanks to Richards and Gagne and Kopitar being out there for those shifts. Andrei Loktionov played 17:58 tonight, while Stoll got 11:26. Those are fundamental, conscious changes for the sake of offense. The hard part is scoring more without giving up goals in the process. It's a tricky balance, but at least we have one end of it on lock.

This team has scored five goals in four of its first 22 games (against St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota, and Anaheim). Philly, who leads the league with 73 goals, has scored five goals in six games (against Vancover, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Columbus, and Carolina x2). They also lost one of those games. All in all, we have four wins in five-goal games, and the Flyers have five. That's not a huge difference in explosiveness. This offense, when it clicks, is capable of filling the net. The problem is consistency. For whatever reason this team can't get into a rhythm and string offense together, and this is the point where you blame coaching and I blame the effort of the players and we start to fundamentally disagree :]

You're a fan and I'm a fan. We want the same thing. I have faith in the coaching/management group for my own reasons. You don't for yours. Fair enough, to each their own. I could be bitter about TM and DL and etc but that would take a lot of enjoyment away from the games for me, so I'm not. To me, it's easier to look past the players and single out a coach or a GM. I just don't see the signs that show that to be a fair judgment to make at this point in time. I did when DT got fired and I did when AM got fired. But now? Not so much.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

So how many of these duds will it take until we all agree this team isn't ready to compete with the big boys?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Nice post Josh. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I sure hope I am proven wrong and the Kings win in the playoffs without an offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

I'd say three months and 40 games later....I was right on with my assessment. Same team....bummer.

The time is....next year?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:15 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

LA is 12-16 under Sutter. Yay.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

It was never about coaching, some people in this thread thought getting Murray out would fix things. How wrong were they.

Lombardi should have been shown the door the same day Murray was, that may have brought us some significant changes that could have maybe helped this team make a run.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:10 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
I'd say three months and 40 games later....I was right on with my assessment. Same team....bummer.

Josh Deitell needs a new crystal ball.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
It was never about coaching, some people in this thread thought getting Murray out would fix things. How wrong were they.

Lombardi should have been shown the door the same day Murray was, that may have brought us some significant changes that could have maybe helped this team make a run.
Well, coaching certainly isn't the whole issue, but it's part of it. You can't really say it was "never about coaching" when Lombardi replaced one coach with another that was basically a carbon copy.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post

Okay we'll add you to the list of people who know better than all the writers, gms, players, broadcasters.

It's been frustrating to watch this season but anyone that accurately predicted this level of offensive futility was guessing. By all accounts, the players of this team have vastly underacheived. All of our top forwards have proven in the past that they can get it done but this combination of players simply can't.

I'm not saying DL isn't the problem at this point, but I think most journalists, writers, players, gms agreed at the beginning of the season that this team was on an upward trend.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote