HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Per Tony Marinaro: Three people he think could do the job in Montreal

Old
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Clipitar

vCash: 500
I was listening, and that's what Marinaro said. He also backhandedly suggested he himself was a better candidate than PG/BG because he called a couple of bad moves (Gomez, Kaberle).

No wonder this guy has troubles sleeping, his inflating head probably is on the verge of explosion!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Is there anyone as conceded as Tony Marinaro?

This morning, he went through every bad trade or signing the Habs have done and proudly "oinked" that he and McGuire were the only ones knowledgeable enough to know they were awful from the moment they happened.

Fatty also asked Flynn about Cammalleri and then wouldn't let him talk after Flynn contradicted him.

Marinaro is what Marinaro is... in love with himself, a soccer fan and a Hab hater.

He blocked me on Twitter cause I proved him wrong about something he had said.

Marinaro is just a fat loser who picks and chooses facts to make himself look smart and right about everything. Disagree with him and he will just block you, cause, well how dare you disagree with the all powerful tony.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Can anyone confirm this report. WestIslander is known for misinterpreting/misreporting what is said on the radio.

Also are these three names that are circling or three names Marinaro has come up with.
Westislander got it right. Want to add that Tony said he would like Mackasay

Last edited by onice: 02-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
uocooco

Marc Bergevin

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i couldn't care less what that fat **** thinks... basically he's saying: "the only way i won't ***** about the hiring from day one is if you hire one of those guys".

decent choice regardless, don't have to be a genius to look at who speaks french, and secondly, who is mildly competent for the job

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Clumsyhab

Bergevin GM
Roy Coach

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Can anyone confirm this report. WestIslander is known for misinterpreting/misreporting what is said on the radio.
lol, sorry.. that made my morning.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Protest the Hero

I really feel like Pierre Mcguire is too reactionary, also he's too over the top on TV.

I'll say though that I just hope whomever they choose is the best choice for the job, that's all I wish. I want the person who will give this team the best chance to win, and regardless of who they hire, I will be cheering for them.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I really feel like Pierre Mcguire is too reactionary, also he's too over the top on TV.

I'll say though that I just hope whomever they choose is the best choice for the job, that's all I wish. I want the person who will give this team the best chance to win, and regardless of who they hire, I will be cheering for them.
Been thinking about that one for a while now. The only way I'd accept McGuire coming in as the new GM is if it means Habs get to have Scotty Bowman as director of hockey operations.

McGuire by himself? No freakin' way.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post

You would think that if McGuire was such a hot commodity that a team would have offered him at least an assistant GM position in the last 5 years.

One thing - he would make the media scrums a lot more interesting that PG does, that's for sure. Add Patrick Roy as the coach... fireworks!

I know he's from Montreal but is McGuire fluent in French?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i feel like Tony's job for the next 4-5 months is to lobby for McGuire anyway he can

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
jwolf

I listened to the same show and I believe Tony or the caller proposed McGuire with Mackasey as a 1-2 punch as a potential management team. Over the years, I've heard McGuire say many flattering things about Mackasey's draft acumen, so it wouldn't be out of the question.
I like the idea of having a braintrust managing the team: one negotiating, one with the authority on scouting and maybe another advisor/wise-old-man to consult with (*cough* Bowman *cough*).

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i feel like Tony's job for the next 4-5 months is to lobby for McGuire anyway he can
That would be Mitch Melnyk's job.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Can anyone tell me about Marc Bergevin? Keep hearing the name, no idea what his experience is.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
viasyncro

Is TV Analyst Pierre McGuire A Solid G.M. Hire?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...olid-g-m-hire/

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
You would think that if McGuire was such a hot commodity that a team would have offered him at least an assistant GM position in the last 5 years.

One thing - he would make the media scrums a lot more interesting that PG does, that's for sure. Add Patrick Roy as the coach... fireworks!

I know he's from Montreal but is McGuire fluent in French?
Pierre did interview for the Wild GM position. I believe he also did for TB but I may be wrong.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Can anyone tell me about Marc Bergevin? Keep hearing the name, no idea what his experience is.
Long-time NHL defenseman that retired just prior to the most recent lock-out. Current assistant GM of Stan Bowman in Chicago, replaced Cheveldayoff last summer.

More here.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:31 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pierre did interview for the Wild GM position. I believe he also did for TB but I may be wrong.
Did he get the job?

Old
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Did he get the job?
Obviously not, and I get what you're saying, but it's an unfair question, if he did get the job, he wouldn't be on the list would he? I say this as not a huge fan of mcguire so I'm not being biased, I was just responding to the idea that he hasn't gotten attention elsewhere. I can live with him as a candidate and potential pick for GM....ONLY on the condition there's an experienced assistant GM and maybe a consultant(Lemaire or equivalent) that have a huge knowledge of the game.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Long-time NHL defenseman that retired just prior to the most recent lock-out. Current assistant GM of Stan Bowman in Chicago, replaced Cheveldayoff last summer.

More here.
So our next GM is a guy who scouted toews and kane(no brainers) and has less than a year experience as assistant GM?

Based on his limited scouting and managerial experience, I'd rather Timmins and I don't think Timmins is ready.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
gillyguzzler

Let's not forget this reaction from McGuire to the drafting of Carey Price... "oh man, this is right of the reservation, oh man!". "This is not a fit for Montreal, they have Yan Danis!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNOtoJ8vb0

Old
02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Let's not forget this reaction from McGuire to the drafting of Carey Price... "oh man, this is right of the reservation, oh man!". "This is not a fit for Montreal, they have Yan Danis!"

Or when he called Karlsson a good player at the draft? He never suggested Price won't be a good goalie, he suggested habs had theodore. Imagine the habs used a top 5 pick now to select another potential franchise goalie. Would you say "sweet" or would you say "we have price...we have other needs". He gets a lot of flack for that, but it is what it is, it's not an unreasonable argument at the time.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
onice

Quote:

And he wasn't wrong.....

Our goaltending depth was head and shoulder above our defence and forward depth.

If We hadn't drafted Price we would have had Halak and drafted Staal, maybe Kopitar instead. He did say that center and defense was an organizational need.

Think if we would have drafted Kopitar instead, we would probably never have made the Gomez trade.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Julien Brisebois is currently developing his network (NHL contacts) in TB working as Yzerman's assistant. If I remember correctly, he did occupy the same position alongside Gainey in Montreal. I am not sure if he has enough NHL experience yet but he definitely is a worthy candidate.

That being mentioned Gauthier's tenure in Montreal may be longer than expected.

In 2 years he did a lot of very solid moves: Cammalleri's trade (salary dump + good pick + prospect + same production in Bourque), Eller, Shultz, Cole, White instead of Pyatt, Emelin, Gill's trade, Bournival... and I like how he handles the media! Slowly but surely, he is cleaning Gainey's mess.

If he goes down at season's end, his downfall would be the result of a very poorly built D squad.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
OneSharpMarble

The fact people want mcguire makes me weep for this team. Can't believe the fanbase has sunk this low.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote