HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #60 - Blues vs Bruins - 7pm CST

Old
02-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Fred Murtz

vCash: 500
All the game videos are up at http://www.youtube.com/user/spectr17

I'm doing a big hits video for Oshie, Backes and Sobe so if you can help me with the time and period of any good smashes I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I think the Hitchcock was testing a few souls by juggling all the lines in this game. Call me crazy but I think he wants to see who's got the sand for a playoff run. Mellanby said they discussed the line changes and the coaches all agreed. Throw some chaos at them to see who rises to the challenge. My boy Perron looked like a lost child out there, painful to watch. Did he even had one SOG? Nashville will be the real gut check. Fortune favors the bold as they say and we gotta be bold and score more.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:29 AM
jokerboysmith

Oshie is an absolute warrior. Haven't seen a lot of him, so last night opened my eyes.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:17 AM
ejoshie

Probably the most disappointing game I have seen Perron/Oshie play since they have been Blues

Frankly these things happen and they will learn from this.

They were not terribly bad just that nothing was going on period, glad they were still battling at the end of the game.

You have to question the decision to break up the Oshie Backes Perron line in the first place.

McDonald and Backes were not great either

Sobotka on the top line was a complete waste of time as well.

Berglund Perron and McDonald was a disaster waiting to happen.

Hitchcock has slowly returned to Andy Murray hockey with a grinder on every line and it will not work.

Hopefully a bounce back game tonight.

We will see what they are truly made of.

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
I got the feeling that the Boston crew sees the Blues as the Bruins of the West from that telecast.
This is true for most Bruins fans as well. I don't think there's a team our fan base in general respects more. These teams are so similar to each other. If we can't win the Cup, I hope you guys do.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
dao256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
This is true for most Bruins fans as well. I don't think there's a team our fan base in general respects more. These teams are so similar to each other. If we can't win the Cup, I hope you guys do.
Thankyou. The Bruins fans have been really classy over the past couple days towards us. To bad we couldnt both get points last night

Moving on to today, what lineup changes will the Blues make? Tough to sit Crombeen after his performance last night, so Itll probably be Reaves out, Id think Hensick might get a chance. Perhaps also Huskins in for Russell. And obviously in goal.

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:33 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
this is a nice reputation, thanks!

and when our home-series come to an end and when our unbeaten against the other conference series come to an end aswell its good that its against the champs, at least I feel abit better

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
BadgersandBlues

Well, let's learn from this one boys. Big game tonight. Perron, get your head back straight, you were carrying this team for the last two weeks, go out there and have fun and put the puck in the net some more.

Oshie and Backes, time to start hitting the twine. We need you boys to produce.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
The brightest spot from that game was that Stewart showed up. The goal was nice, and he nearly had a 2nd one in the first period. But I was more impressed with the way he was battling on the boards and how the puck was following him. He was putting himself in the right spots on the ice, and did a responsible job in the back-check too.

I see a glimmer of hope that he's going to figure this out.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I was encouraged that a very physical board battle game brought out a lot of aggressiveness from both Berglund and Stewart. Stewart's weak backhand passes are terrible (he's made several recently at his own blueline), but that seems easier to fix than the overall aggressiveness issue we've been missing.

I know Oshie had a 3-pt game against the Isles (holy crap Montoya was awful) but he has not been himself since he went to the Bahamas. What looked like a sure-fire big raise possibly into the 4s at the start of the season is firmly planted in the 3s right now. Bruins fans are praising him for his physicality because they don't see him often enough to know it's a standard part of his game, but in the first half of the season (when Steen was on that line) Oshie was an offensively dangerous player too. He has had way too few dangerous chances in the new year.

We need a GDT for Nashville but I did one this year and they lost so I've foresworn GDT making.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
nycbruins*

Count me as an opposing fan who's wowed by the physicality of Oshie.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
PavelDatsyuk

Another great game, if I'm not already a fan, I'm definitely becoming one. I've seen and analyzed a lot of hockey. I don't know if even you fans in St. Louis realize how, for lack of a better word, "special" Pietrangelo is. He has all the attributes, all the characteristics of true greatness.

He measures himself against the best, in big games he challenges himself, he challenges his team, he challenges the other team. But he does this so very subtly or humbly that you may miss it; you can see that he loves to cover up for a teammate's mistakes and he is the first to, even unfairly, deflect blame onto himself (I'm talking about on ice actions and body language here). It actually stems from a special type of cockiness - he's got an absolute confidence in his own abilities, feeling like if something went wrong then it's because of him not playing up to his abilities, if he plays as well as he feels he can then nothing can go wrong.

The more I watch him, the more I think that it would be a mistake to get a top pairing LD to partner with him. He thrives when he is the one who needs to shoulder all the responsibility. One of his greatest strengths really is being able to spend all his ice time making the lives of his teammates easier.

It's something that's noticeable about Datsyuk and Crosby, and to a lesser degree in Toews; their commitment to simply making it easy for their teammates to succeed and not putting their teammates in a position that their teammates have to help them with their responsibilities; it's really a case of that old cliche, making those around you better. If you watch games from this perspective, you'll notice that's really what they are trying to do. I'm not talking about with the puck even, I think it's mostly noticeable without the puck and away from the immediate play. It's very hard to explain or articulate; I could write an essay about it.

I could go on and on, like I said, I could probably write an essay, but I think I've spewed enough random thoughts out for now. There are times when we have to realize that we are just fans of the game, and we have to slow it down and just watch, or else we might miss something special.

Really have nothing but good things to say about this guy

Last edited by PavelDatsyuk: 02-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Count me as an opposing fan who's wowed by the physicality of Oshie.
Its funny, that really wasn't one of Oshie's better games. Not terrible, but I'd say a pretty average performance (except for the part about getting clocked by Backes). Actually Backes cross-checked Oshie in the head. I guess we can expect a 1 game suspension.

I do think Oshie made a point of hitting Chara whenever he could. I remember last game (last year) Oshie had a great reverse shoulder in the corner where he knocked Chara on his ass. I don't watch enough Bruins games to know how often opponents try to out-physical Chara, but it seems like a smart strategy. At least last night, it seemed he got a bit shaky at times after that. (If only Oshie could have buried his mirror of the Marchand steal on his side.)

Old
02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
BadgersandBlues

Trust me mate, I think most of us on here know AP is something to behold. I don't think I've ever felt the way about a Blues player then the way I do about A-Pie. I get this feeling inside, like a comforting warmth, maybe even call it an inner smile, when I watch him play. He is so good, and he is ours. We picked him, we watched him develop, and now we can just enjoy having him. I have absolute trust in everything he does, which is -super- rare in sports. Anytime he has the puck I think we can score, and anytime he's on the ice I'm convinced the other team won't. He will be in the HoF, and could possibly become the best player of his generation, and no one can convince me otherwise. And the best part about him is that he wants to be there. Unlike some of the other great players we've had on the Blues, (Hull comes to mind) he wants to be the best in -everything- he does, not just good at one aspect of the game.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Its funny, that really wasn't one of Oshie's better games. Not terrible, but I'd say a pretty average performance (except for the part about getting clocked by Backes). Actually Backes cross-checked Oshie in the head. I guess we can expect a 1 game suspension.

I do think Oshie made a point of hitting Chara whenever he could. I remember last game (last year) Oshie had a great reverse shoulder in the corner where he knocked Chara on his ass. I don't watch enough Bruins games to know how often opponents try to out-physical Chara, but it seems like a smart strategy. At least last night, it seemed he got a bit shaky at times after that. (If only Oshie could have buried his mirror of the Marchand steal on his side.)
Running Chara is part of most strategies. When he's on, he sees it coming, is balanced and the guy is sorry he tried. When he's off, he's confused, mishandling the puck and getting knocked on his ass by any 5'8" player that comes along. For the last month, Chara has been off.

Seems like every journalist is running out tons of reasons for the Bruins slump: Horton & Peverley injuries, offense drying up. Seguin slumping, Thomas & Rask falling to Earth and then some.

In my view, the Bruins cannot really absorb poor performances from Chara. It's one thing if he's playing an average game with nothing special in it. The Bruins can win that way. But when he's actually bad, the team is bad.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

Kid ran through Johnny Boychuk while he had the puck. I know you don't get to see much Boychuk, but when he has someone lined up like that it's usually a victory for the other guy just to be okay for his next shift, never mind running through him like that.

Old
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
BlueDream

Yeah Oshie's hit on Boychuk was awesome. Osh is so strong on his skates, just has good lower body strength.

Well actually, he's stronger on his skates when he's getting hit than he is when nobody is around him.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Fred Murtz

Some people say Oshie had an "off" game. Really? Matching up all night against Chara, eating a stick in the chops and still putting whew hits on folks.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Kid ran through Johnny Boychuk while he had the puck. I know you don't get to see much Boychuk, but when he has someone lined up like that it's usually a victory for the other guy just to be okay for his next shift, never mind running through him like that.
Yeah, but we've come to expect that from Oshie. I love the hit. He has an uncanny balance and awareness of his and other players' centers of gravity. Many times, guys are about to hit him, and then find themselves getting up off the ice wondering what just happened. I particularly love the way he looks to lay hits when he is carrying the puck (without losing it).

Youtube for Nash/Oshie and you'll see a couple great hits. Out of context they're not as good as they were live, but still worth the look.

But for the 60 minutes, Oshie was his usual self...not an especially good game from him. We love him, and its great to see his established on the 1st line this year. I think he's earned it.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:32 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Some people say Oshie had an "off" game. Really? Matching up all night against Chara, eating a stick in the chops and still putting whew hits on folks.
He mixed it up with Chara but didn't really create opportunities from them. He played physically. But the Blues need Oshie to be able to be a part of dangerous scoring chances if they're going to win. Chara got the better of him (as you would expect Chara to do against anyone, no knock on Oshie) so his game amounted to a lot of physicality where puck battles weren't won and very few chances created.

Let me be clear, I love Oshie's physical game, I always love his scrappiness, and I always love when any player is willing to sacrifice to make plays. But he has not really been producing many offensive scoring chances relative to earlier in the season. What have they been doing at even strength lately on scoring chances – compared to earlier in the year? They certainly miss Steen. Backes and Perron were clicking recently, but it's felt like Oshie's not been as big a factor as he was the first half. As much as one can respect his physical play, they need more from him.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
He mixed it up with Chara but didn't really create opportunities from them. He played physically. But the Blues need Oshie to be able to be a part of dangerous scoring chances if they're going to win. Chara got the better of him (as you would expect Chara to do against anyone, no knock on Oshie) so his game amounted to a lot of physicality where puck battles weren't won and very few chances created.

Let me be clear, I love Oshie's physical game, I always love his scrappiness, and I always love when any player is willing to sacrifice to make plays. But he has not really been producing many offensive scoring chances relative to earlier in the season. What have they been doing at even strength lately on scoring chances – compared to earlier in the year? They certainly miss Steen. Backes and Perron were clicking recently, but it's felt like Oshie's not been as big a factor as he was the first half. As much as one can respect his physical play, they need more from him.
I agree. There's no question that the effort level was there for Oshie (and Backes as well), or that he was physically engaged in the game/had his feet moving/etc., but the Blues need more than that from their top line. They have to be generating quality scoring chances, or at least be generating quality momentum by creating some chaos in the offensive zone, and the top line simply hasn't been doing that recently. Worse yet, they've been arguably our worst line at doing that these last few games. It's been a gradual decline for Oshie and Backes, but Perron recent acute downturn matters as well. He has been downright invisible these last two games.

That's simply not going to get the job done, and the time to learn that lesson is now. They aren't going to score every game, but they do need to be a factor every game.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
SoulChaser17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
I could go on and on, like I said, I could probably write an essay, but I think I've spewed enough random thoughts out for now. There are times when we have to realize that we are just fans of the game, and we have to slow it down and just watch, or else we might miss something special.

Really have nothing but good things to say about this guy
I would probably read that essay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about our best player

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote