HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Subban be as good as Karlsson?

Old
02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisb View Post
I agree with this totally, Subban has on AND off ice maturing to do that is for sure.
If he gets his ego in check he will become a fine player, if he does not he will be traded for less than market value. Team chemistry is far more important than any single player.
Can you give an example of something that PK as done off the ice that suggests he needs more maturing?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Can you give an example of something that PK as done off the ice that suggests he needs more maturing?
It doesn't have to be off the ice. The slew foots, not making higher percentage plays, hanging onto the puck too long, bad passes to nobody. Those are things that will go away with time. He needs to mature as a player and he will. Great skillset, will improve, but he's not there yet.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I think the most embarrassing thing of this thread is calling Kris Letang a pylon, he's great.

Subban's a good dman who could be great in the future, would love to have him on my team.
no, that's just him. karlsson/letang a pylon?

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.
MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Subban will try and get physical with Lucic, playing to his strength.

EK will play sound positional d and then intercept a pass leading to a odd man rush the other way.
Fine but I'd still rather have Subban in the situation I brought up.. Also it's not like Subban doesn't have the ability to intercept a pass leading to a odd man rush the other way since he does..

I don't mind that Sens fans think Karlsson is better defensively than PK.. That's their opinion and I'll respect that.. I just won't agree with them so we'll just have to agree to disagree..

Old
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Not a bash here as I believe Subban is a remarkable talent.

One glaring difference I see is that Karlsson is a player that Ottawa will build their future around, Subban simply doesn't have those leadership abilities (right now). There is a much higher probability that Subban becomes a locker room cancer and tears a team apart, this is due to his ego and sense of entitlement.

Based on that alone, Subban is the higher risk prospect and GM's around the league would likely agree. He needs a mentor and the Habs just traded his away.
What in god's great green **** are you talking about?

Subban doesn't have leadership qualities? Yikes, buddy.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
harrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
How about PK and Randy Ladouceur? Off ice also includes practice time...Plekanec? It's not like Plekanec is a long time vet putting the kid in his place, I believe PK was the aggressor.

EDIT: Leadership is earned, not demanded to the poster asking about leadership abilities.

harrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Grant McCagg

Well - Subban will have to get over his injury woes, since returning from his groin injury he's been lousy in nets for Belleville. Will he be as good as Karlsson? Maybe..he won't ever be as tall obviously, but I think he has better athletic ability. Subban has the potential to be a number one goalie - I don't think Karlsson will ever achieve that.

this must be what you mean right? surely you're not asking if a player will ever be as good as a player drafted AFTER him, and is only 21 years old??

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
habitue*

Skill wise, they are about the same.

But Karlson is more mature (he has one more year than PK at NHL level), and has a touch more hockey sense. + He got teamates who can turn his passes into goals.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
EDIT: Leadership is earned, not demanded to the poster asking about leadership abilities.
You did not answer my question. In what way does PK not have leadership qualities?

Old
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
harrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You did not answer my question. In what way does PK not have leadership qualities?
Attitude towards others and authority, stupid penalties, leading by example. Any of these, especially the first one is a sign of much more maturing required.

I am done here...

If it makes all those with rose coloured glasses happy, Subban is a picture of perfection in every way. A strong leader both on and off the ice and a mentor for young hockey players to look up to.

harrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sens fans in this thread are on a short leash. If you don't like Hab fans picking a Habs player in a poll, you shouldn't be on this board.

If you'd like to discuss the topic rationally, you're welcome to do so by all means.
Are the Habs fans required to be rational as well?

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Attitude towards others and authority
He expects the best of himself and others. People don't like to be pushed, and he pushes people.

Quote:
stupid penalties
This is true, and he does have maturing to do.

Quote:
leading by example.
PK gives it his all, every shift, every practice, and every game. This is why I know you're out to lunch.

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-23-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: that'll do
Old
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Are the Habs fans required to be rational as well?
Nope.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Subban is better than Karlson on D ainec. Karlson has Spezza, Alfredson, Michalek and other offensive dynamos to pass to, if Subban had those guys his numbers would be a lot closer to Karlson's.

I am not saying Karlson is not a great player, and he is better than PK offensively, but would I trade them 1 for 1, hell no. Ottawa is going to overpay for his skillset and will regret it one day, seen this play out a million times.

Fans will say we are homers but we watch PK play and know what his upside is. I have seen a lot of Karlson play and yeah he has the offensive goods but I am absolutely not impressed with his defensive play, so as someone said before would I rather have a Coffee type or a Chelios type , I take the Chelios, pure preference.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Subban is better than Karlson on D ainec. Karlson has Spezza, Alfredson, Michalek and other offensive dynamos to pass to, if Subban had those guys his numbers would be a lot closer to Karlson's.

I am not saying Karlson is not a great player, and he is better than PK offensively, but would I trade them 1 for 1, hell no. Ottawa is going to overpay for his skillset and will regret it one day, seen this play out a million times.

Fans will say we are homers but we watch PK play and know what his upside is. I have seen a lot of Karlson play and yeah he has the offensive goods but I am absolutely not impressed with his defensive play, so as someone said before would I rather have a Coffee type or a Chelios type , I take the Chelios, pure preference.
I'm a Habs homer, but Ottawa will never ever regret whatever they will end up paying Karlsson. He's elite offensively whether you want to admit it or not.

My main issue with Ottawa fans is their evaluation of his overall D game. It's really not that bad, but hearing them you'd think he's above and beyond most D-men in this league, which is absolutely false. The guy has insane vision though, he definitely could turn to be really good in his own zone despite his size, a la Enstrom.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
sheed36

Quote:
How about PK and Randy Ladouceur? Off ice also includes practice time...Plekanec? It's not like Plekanec is a long time vet putting the kid in his place, I believe PK was the aggressor.

So a coach screams at him telling him to wake the **** up and he's been in a couple of altercations while being competitive in practice.. This **** happens and if he wasn't playing in Montreal no one would even hear about it. These things probably happen to all teams during practices it's just that no one hears about it.

Old
02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

Not sure why people are offended with homer votes. I mean, it's homer votes for a reason. I say this knowing full well Karlsson is the better player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Corner2

Karlsson was better at the wjc also....

I think they are very different, but personally I doubt eitrher Subban or Karlsson ever have as good a year as Karlsson is having this year in the future....

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
NotProkofievian

I mean honestly, what a fatuous statement: PK has no leadership abilities because he "has a problem with authority."

Yeah, because you question things, and push boundaries makes you ill-suited to be a leader. It's always the case....

Old
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Quick answer to the OP.

Yes....and No.

No, he will not be as good offensively. Karlsson is a 50-60pt Dman. Subban 35-45pts. Not bad but not as good. Karlsson is having a dream year and is clicking massively on the PP. If MTL PP was any good Subban could easily have 10-20 pts more already this season.

Yes, he will be much better defensively, as he already is and is continuing to improve there. Subban also adds a physical and phsycological aspect that Karlsson doesn't have.

Basically I see Subban as more complete. But Karlsson being the flashier, more offensively talented Dman.
I think it's extremely unfair to label Subban as a 35-45 point defenseman. He put up 38 points as a rookie. This year has been an off year for the entire team. Subban will be a 45+ point defenseman for almost every season for the next 10-12 years. He's still developing.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Drama

"There have been giveaways off Subban's stick this season, to the tune of a team-leading 62." While having 23 points? Is this true? Karlsson, I am pretty sure plays more minutes and has almost triple the points with less giveaways. PK Subban being "worlds" ahead of Karlsson defensively.

I also love his comments about being as good as Lidstrom on and off the ice. Didn't know Lids talks a bunch of ***** on a regular basis off the ice.

edit: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/76...-just-being-pk

Taken from that article BTW.

Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

He said he wants to be as good as lidstrom. Should he say he wants to be Chris campoli?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
"There have been giveaways off Subban's stick this season, to the tune of a team-leading 62." While having 23 points? Is this true? Karlsson, I am pretty sure plays more minutes and has almost triple the points with less giveaways. PK Subban being "worlds" ahead of Karlsson defensively.

I also love his comments about being as good as Lidstrom on and off the ice. Didn't know Lids talks a bunch of ***** on a regular basis off the ice.

edit: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/76...-just-being-pk

Taken from that article BTW.
Like LyricalLyricist said read that part again since you misunderstood what he said about Lidstrom.. Also when as PK said anything disrespectful off the ice about anyone?

Old
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Difficult question to answer, but what I can tell you is that I'd take Subban on my team over Karlsson 9 times out of 10. As much as I can't stand him, Karlsson is a wildly talented offensive defensemen, although it seems like 50% of his points are secondary assists on the PP. But Karlsson is an absolute pylon, we're talking like Letang/Gonchar style pylon-ary, and he's small. So if Karlsson ends up being a consistent 60 point defenseman, and Subban ends up being a consistent 45 point defenseman, I'd take Subban based on physicality and defensive prowess.
Letang is an excellent defensive player.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Rumcajs

Well i certainly won't say that Subban isn't talented and doesn't have the ability to become a one or two spot defencemen on any team but overall i think Karlsson has a better skillset.

Sure you can argue that Subban is better physically but physicality isn't the only thing you need to play good defense. Even though Karlsson isn't imposing, his speed certainly makes up for most situations on the ice. For example,if Karlsson pinched in the attacking zone he has the ability to catch up and tie the forward in his own end (it happened alot last year, not so much this year but it occasionally occurs) since his speed allows him to catch up.

But! If a power forward such as Nash or even Louie Ericksson leans on Karlsson he is at a disadvantage compared to Subban.

Overall, even with this disadvantage i think Karlsson has the edge and will for a longtime but Subban certainly come close (if the team can turn it around) in time.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote