HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN reporting Nedved for Seidenberg

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
But if Seidenberg blossoms into a quality player, and Freddy Meyer and Randy Jones fail to progress, it becomes obvious that the Flyers gave up on the wrong player. There doesn't have to be a winner or a loser, but to say that it's a no-lose situation for the Flyers is wrong.

Old
01-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
But if Seidenberg blossoms into a quality player, and Freddy Meyer and Randy Jones fail to progress, it becomes obvious that the Flyers gave up on the wrong player. There doesn't have to be a winner or a loser, but to say that it's a no-lose situation for the Flyers is wrong.
Seidenberg was going to be on waivers anyway. The Flyers got someone for him who incidently got his 1st point on a primary assist today.

Old
01-21-2006, 05:51 PM
sunb

If the Flyers add a guy like Eric Brewer at the deadline, they're the Cup Favorites in my books. They can probably get it done by trading Ruzinka + a low pick.

Old
01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
If the Flyers add a guy like Eric Brewer at the deadline, they're the Cup Favorites in my books. They can probably get it done by trading Ruzinka + a low pick.
I doubt Brewer gets moved because that means they gave up Pronger for what? And isn't Brewer done for the season due to injury?

Old
01-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Well i watched the game today Vs Pitsburgh and man that Meyer guy is just brutal . Seidenberg is much better in every aspect .

And don't get me started on Nedved

Why they dont give guyz like Carter , Umberger and Richards more responsibility ?? Bad trade for Philly .

Old
01-21-2006, 06:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Well i watched the game today Vs Pitsburgh and man that Meyer guy is just brutal . Seidenberg is much better in every aspect .

Why they dont give guyz like Carter , Umberger and Richards more responsibility ?? Bad trade for Philly .

Old
01-21-2006, 06:22 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I watched the game also! The way I see it, Nedved was still his lazy self and got lucky even getting a point on the first goal by Philly. He did nothing spectacular. Then again , it was only his first game with the Philly.

Old
01-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Steve L*

Quote:

Theyre already playing the PP and PK, what more do you want?

Old
01-22-2006, 07:21 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Meyer isn't all that good either, but he was head and shoulders above Seidenberg this season.

What part of that aren't you getting? We're Flyers fans, we watch every game, we know who is doing what.

You can poll 100 Flyers fans and a large majority would prefer Therien over Seidenberg.

I'm talking about Chris Therien, the most reviled Flyer of all time, a guy who when we traded him to Dallas brought upon much celebration, and most of us pick him without a single qualm over Seidenberg.

Seidenberg was a -2 yesterday, with a goal - unfortunately scored on his own net.

He has "career AHL all-star, NHL nobody" written all over him. Which is slightly unfortunate since he seems like a decent enough guy.

The only people upset about losing Dennis in Philly are people who consider themselves to be Phantoms fans.

I've had issues with Seidenberg going back to his awful giveaway in the beginning of game 7 last season.

Old
01-22-2006, 07:26 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

We could surely be wrong about Seidenberg, but I doubt it.

He isn't going to blossom into a quality player. He has regressed since his first stint in the league 2 seasons ago. His decision making can be downright awful and he gets killed physically.

He's an okay passer, has a terrific shot that he seldom uses, and skates well - that's about it.

I honestly think the NHL game just moves too quickly for him to be truly effective.

Old
01-22-2006, 09:48 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja
His decision making can be downright awful and he gets killed physically.

He's an okay passer, has a terrific shot that he seldom uses, and skates well - that's about it.
To me, this sounds a lot like Nedved. He has made terrible decisions and has not been able to handle the physical aspects of the game. He still has talent in the passing game and still has a very good shot, neither of which, though, he uses properly. He can skate just fine. Unfortunately, he chooses not to backcheck but to instead take lazy and undisciplined penalties. If he turns it around in Philadelphia, good for him, but it wasn't happening in Phoenix.

I'm from Philadelphia, so don't try to tell me what a Flyers' fan thinks.. I've seen plenty of Flyers games, and every hockey fan I know is a Flyers' fan. The difference is that they are not HF Flyers' fans, and we all know that HF fans are different than regular ones, as a general rule (there are always exceptions). My point is, every single one of them was let down with this trade. Every single one said to me, "Aw, why couldn't you take Therien?" As much as Seidenberg may have regressed, there is no way he is less of an asset than Chris Therien. A young, cheap, mobile defenseman will always be worth more than an old, overpaid, slow-as-molasses defenseman.

You can say that there is a very small chance of Seidenberg progressing into a decent NHL defenseman or even regaining his earlier form, but I would argue similarly that there is an equally small chance of Nedved helping your team. At this point in time, this has been a good trade for the Coyotes if only because Nedved is now gone and Seidenberg does not make the team a worse one.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 01-22-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old
01-22-2006, 11:42 AM
bobbyboucher24

As a Flyers fan who watches all the games, I definitely can't stand Therien. I would rate Seidenberg higher than Therien, but that isn't saying much. Dennis needed to go. He had a lot of promise and was a good guy. I was a fan of his. I've mentioned on other areas of HF boards that I am a hockey card collector, and Seidenberg was 1 of the few Flyers I enjoyed collecting. This season, his play regressed considerably. I believe that Meyer passes Dennis this season, though I still rated Dennis ahead of Randy Jones and Therien. I'll miss him, but he needed to go. Therien, too.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
Good deal for the yotes as many posters thought we couldn't get anything for Nedved. Seidenberg is a solid d-man, and atleast we will get an effort out of him.
Lol.

He's mediocre as can be. A bottom two pairing d-man.

Old
01-22-2006, 12:09 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Lol.

He's mediocre as can be. A bottom two pairing d-man.
Your opinion is heard, but it's not how some of us view him.

Old
01-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
Your opinion is heard, but it's not how some of us view him.
I have seen nearly every Flyers game these past two years since I've lived in the city and then probably 25-30 games a year of them before that.

I have seen Seidenberg a lot more than YOU have.

He sucks.

Sorry to say that, but he sucks. Now, I do hate the Flyers but I tend to be VERY objective with the local teams prospects and players. And Seids sucks. He's waiver fodder.

Old
01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
I have seen nearly every Flyers game these past two years since I've lived in the city and then probably 25-30 games a year of them before that.

He sucks.

Sorry to say that, but he sucks. Now, I do hate the Flyers but I tend to be VERY objective with the local teams prospects and players. And Seids sucks. He's waiver fodder.
By the way I have watched the Philly games on center ice, and was quite impressed with Seidenberg in his rookie season. I didn't get a chance to watch him much after the lockout, but I have always liked him. He played well for the Phantoms during the lockout. I think part of Seidenberg not playing very well for you guys this year, was his injuries! Likewise for Nedved. I have watched Seidenberg play for you guys lots, just not this year because of injuries. Philly is part coyotes remember! Lots of ex-coyote members, which is why I watch them on center ice also. I also watched their game yesterday, in the afternoon.

Old
01-22-2006, 05:09 PM
SML

Will the Flyers' defensemen continue to smash Nedved into the glass at will, just for old time's sake?

Old
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

He sucks.

I was going to type it all out, but you've said pretty much everything I would've said, except for that 'hate the Flyers' comment.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:12 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
More "facts".

Fact: Nedved has one more year left on his deal.

Fact: you left out anything that talks to the guy's ability to produce offensive. How odd.

Fact: your case conveniently focuses exclusively on the last four months. That assumes that the player has lost it entirely. Perhaps, but more likely wishful (NYR) thinking on your part. If one wants to go simply by what has happened in the immediate past, Sykora was a lousy deal for NYR. (It wasn't.)

Let's see. NYR, a team that lacks quality on its backline, moving a young dman for a guy making nearly twice as much this season as Nedved is a good deal. But Philly (a team possessing more quality on its backline) moving an excess dman for a vet forward is not. Interesting.

Just trying to keep things somewhat objective around here...
Are you talking about this season's quality in the backline? Either way, Kondratiev maybe would've been good in the future, but we have plenty of D prospects. You can say that our quality on D sucks now, but Kondratiev wouldn't add much right now anyway. Back to THIS trade, it's just surprising since Nedved doesn't seem to be a Flyers type of player. Maybe if he returns to his form of around 30 goals a season and won't be a defensive liability he'll do good.

Old
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
look at the silver lining...at least Bobby Clarke panicking about getting a Center didn't cost Philly a goalie prospect and several draft picks this time.

On the front-end of that trade, I guess Adam Oates was supposed to do in Philly
what he ended up doing in Anaheim the following season - go to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Of course when he signed as a UFA with the Ducks, the Flyers got a compensatory
draft-pick in a strong 2003 draft. They used it to select d-man Alexandre Picard,
whom they called up last night. I didn't see the game but I see that he managed
six shots on goal in his debut.

The point being that beyond the Oates rental, it looks like the Flyers will still win this trade on the basis of Picard emerging, because all of those draft picks in a weak 2002 draft plus the goaltender Oullett haven't amounted to anything. And the Flyers haven't exactly been suffering at the draft table over the past few years.

Old
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns
The point being that beyond the Oates rental, it looks like the Flyers will still win this trade on the basis of Picard emerging, because all of those draft picks in a weak 2002 draft plus the goaltender Oullett haven't amounted to anything. And the Flyers haven't exactly been suffering at the draft table over the past few years.
Bit of a stretch. The Flyers didnt make the Oates trade with the idea of trading him away and specifically acquiring Picard. The two trades are separate and its good asset management but that doesnt mean they won all the trades in the sequence.

Closed Thread