HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Part of what devalues Carter now will still be there in the off-season. The term on his contract is ridiculous and other GMs will be circumspect with a guy who already showed that he can become disgruntled with a new location much less his other issues. If he doesn't hold much value now, he is not likely to appreciate that much in value later meaning that DW would likely get a similar package back if he could trade him at all.
If we do trade for Carter, DW has to realistically think he'd have Carter until the 2017-18 season, at least. He'd be 33 then.
He becomes tradeable during the 2018-19 season, or rather, his value should appreciate simply b/c his cap hit > actual salary. If Carter helps the Sharks win a Cup during that time AND performs as he did in Philly without locker room issues, he'll help further recover & increase his value during this time.

Agree it'd be foolish for DW to think he could flip Carter during the offseason unless Carter won the Conn Smthye...

Anyhow, I'm not that scared off by his term since his cap hit is good. This all assumes Carter is a buy low. Forget it if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
A number of prospects and picks, but I don't see that happening. Columbus traded Carter for Voracek, Couturier, and Cousins, so I assume they want something at least close to that value. If they don't get it, they don't have to move Carter.
I could live with a package around Clowe for Carter, but that still leaves the Sharks lacking depth after their Top-6.
Of course, they don't HAVE to move Carter but it'll all come down to if the BJs do want to blow up the team. Trading Vermette for cheap is a slight indication they are moving in that direction. So that means they recognize they won't get close to equal value for Carter.

My walkaway price would be Clowe for Carter straight up.

Or, 1st + Doherty + Sateri for Carter + 3rd. Around that. Heck add Mitchell, Ferriero or even Wingels if we can do better than a 3rd. Take on Huselius, too, if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its because Nash is a flashy game breaker whereas pavs is not. If you dont watch both players a lot you are likely not going to come to any other conclusion other than Nash >>>>>> Pavs

If the Sharks could move Havlat or Clowe for Nash, I would do it but the salary difference between what Pavs brings and what Nash brings is a non starter for the Sharks.
I'm pretty sure this is a staredown now between DW, Howsen and Sather. Reportedly, the Rangers are offering Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath and 1st (2012). An equivalent for us would probably be Clowe, Hamilton OR Sgarbossa, Doherty and a 1st. I'd do that. We could probably sweeten it by taking on Huselius and adding Sateri or Sexsmith.

If we get Nash, I'd be really surprised if Pavelski was dealt.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a staredown now between DW, Howsen and Sather. Reportedly, the Rangers are offering Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath and 1st (2012). An equivalent for us would probably be Clowe, Hamilton OR Sgarbossa, Doherty and a 1st. I'd do that. We could probably sweeten it by taking on Huselius and adding Sateri or Sexsmith.

If we get Nash, I'd be really surprised if Pavelski was dealt.
I'd really rather take on Mason if we had to take someone. If it works out, we can then trade Niemi to a team desperate for a tender in the off-season.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
So if Murray is out for the year.......we need a d-man. Pronto.

Forget Carter/Nash etc.......we need a person with bad intentions on the blueline.

Sounds like DW may sit until the weekend for a medical update before anything gets done.
Sitting is to his advantage (if he's serious about Carter, Nash or even Umberger). Howsen is on the hook here if we're to believe the BJs want some radical change to their team.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Matt Irwin. And besides, it's not like Murray would ever be able to replace what Boyle/Burns bring to the team.
Never played an NHL game, and you think that he'd be able to step in for Boyle or Burns???

What I'm saying, is that Murray would prevent both White and Vandermeer from being in the lineup at the same time. If one of Boyle or Burns were to go down (knock on wood), we'd still have the other, Demers, and Braun down the right, but then we'd have to ice one of White or Vandy on the second pair, and god, the Zetterbergs, Keslers, and Hossas of the world will laugh their ***** off.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'd really rather take on Mason if we had to take someone. If it works out, we can then trade Niemi to a team desperate for a tender in the off-season.
I don't know about that. Mason is crap, why bother. You'd only take him on to buy him out. I don't think we'd get much value for Niemi at this point. Mason's buyout amount vs. the remaining salary for Huselius is about the same so that's a wash.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I don't know about that. Mason is crap, why bother. You'd only take him on to buy him out. I don't think we'd get much value for Niemi at this point. Mason's buyout amount vs. the remaining salary for Huselius is about the same so that's a wash.
I'm pretty confident he is in fact, not crap. I said the same thing about Carey Price two seasons ago and everyone laughed at me.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
No ****ing way on Mason. LW says he's ECHL caliber and I'm inclined to believe him.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
I'm pretty confident he is in fact, not crap. I said the same thing about Carey Price two seasons ago and everyone laughed at me.
but you also said vlasic peaked so you are batting .500

Old
02-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Fair enough, believe what you want. I'll still think he's crap.

He probably needs a season or two in the AHL to build back his skills but what's the point for us to invest in that with so many goalie prospects.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Vlasic for Comeau!

Old
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Never played an NHL game, and you think that he'd be able to step in for Boyle or Burns???
Joking.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Joking.
Sadly, it was the correct answer.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I've said a lot more crap than that!

Quote:
Fair enough, believe what you want. I'll still think he's crap.

He probably needs a season or two in the AHL to build back his skills but what's the point for us to invest in that with so many goalie prospects.
I think a backup role for a bit would be enough. He's not lacking talent, just confidence and a decent team in front of him.

Quote:
Vlasic for Comeau!
That would have sucked... Talk about guys going in two polar opposite directions...

Old
02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Unless it's a head fake, which I doubt, that's what I was thinking too. God, I hope Murray is OK.
Me too - he's sorely missed right now.

I would have to think that Wilson / the org have a very good idea already of where they're both at, but if Murray is in fact done I think they'll need to pick up a replacement (top 4 d-man) and that it'll be much more of a pressing need than a forward.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I think a backup role for a bit would be enough. He's not lacking talent, just confidence and a decent team in front of him.
You suggesting a platoon situation with Griess next season? I think if we're ever to win a cup next season is it. Injuries, player turnoever and lack of forward depth has hurt us this season. I wouldn't want to enter next season with a Mason/Griess tandem.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
You suggesting a platoon situation with Griess next season? I think if we're ever to win a cup next season is it. Injuries, player turnoever and lack of forward depth has hurt us this season. I wouldn't want to enter next season with a Mason/Griess tandem.
No, I'd likely move Greiss as part of whatever deal brought Mason back (Nash assumedly). See how it goes to close out this season, then move Niemi if Mason works out and have Stalock backup (who i have high confidence in). If Mason doesn't work out as our starter we end up with an issue though, no doubt about it. Not a big deal if we get Carter, a big problem if it's Nash (cap wise).

If it does work out though, we could have a Price/Quick type situation and be spending very little in goal ($3.5m total or so). Game breaking goalies are too expensive to be practical, but if you can get lucky and have one on a cheap deal that is an extremely good situation. I'm just saying this might be a gamble worth taking.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Now imagine if one of Boyle/Burns/Vlasic goes down in the playoffs?
If Boyle, Burns, or Vlasic go down in the playoffs having Murray won't matter. If Boyle or Burns go down, the Sharks are just SOL. It would be a waste to try and get/rent a top-4 offensive D-man when it's not really a Sharks need in the current situation.

Basically, the Sharks would be looking at Mike Moore, Irwin, and possibly Acolatse as their depth defensemen no matter what other moves they make (unless one of those go out on a trade).

Old
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
If Boyle, Burns, or Vlasic go down in the playoffs having Murray won't matter. If Boyle or Burns go down, the Sharks are just SOL. It would be a waste to try and get/rent a top-4 offensive D-man when it's not really a Sharks need in the current situation.

Basically, the Sharks would be looking at Mike Moore, Irwin, and possibly Acolatse as their depth defensemen no matter what other moves they make (unless one of those go out on a trade).
I understand that Murray doesn't replace Burns or Boyle. Murray does replace Demers on the left side, who would then replace Boyle/Burns.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Lebanezer

What do you guys think of a trade centered around Okposo and Demers? Okposo hasn't been having the best success on the Island and it might be helpful to put him on a team where he can be a tweener and get some PP time on the 2nd unit. Plus given the lack of offensive potential in the pipeline it might be worth it to take a shot. His contract is a bit of a problem though seeing as he has 4 more years at 2.8.

Just a thought.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
What do you guys think of a trade centered around Okposo and Demers? Okposo hasn't been having the best success on the Island and it might be helpful to put him on a team where he can be a tweener and get some PP time on the 2nd unit. Plus given the lack of offensive potential in the pipeline it might be worth it to take a shot. His contract is a bit of a problem though seeing as he has 4 more years at 2.8.

Just a thought.
I'd consider that, for sure. $2.8 for a tweener is just fine with me and I think market value. Glencross and Burrows (a low end top 6 with inflated stats playing with Sedins) are on awesome deals.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
do0glas

actually i think if we are going to win a cup it has to be this year.

thornton/marleau will be getting close to 34, and boyle will be 36 next year around this time.

havlat will be getting up there...32 i think.

pavs/burns: are pretty much in their prime. now and the next 3-4 years will be their best.

couture will continue to ramp up his numbers, but he is in a super hot streak this year and is still under the radar as far as opposing defenses.

vlasic is at his best defensively, though we could see a rise in his offense in the next few years.

so come next season, we still have 3 aged players playing as the focal point on a team that is craving speed/intensity.

what kind of roster moves need to be made? will marleau still outskate most defenses? will he go back to being a fixture in the center of the second line? will havlat maintain his speed?

im thinking DW needs to lay down some chips this year for a cup run or we will see our chances get slimmer and slimmer

Old
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
I'd consider that, for sure. $2.8 for a tweener is just fine with me and I think market value. Glencross and Burrows (a low end top 6 with inflated stats playing with Sedins) are on awesome deals.
Not only is Okposo a good tweener this season, he's also a good young top-6 winger going forward. I think we'd have to add to Demers to be honest, but I'd also be hesitant to pull the trigger because I love our defensive depth.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Not only is Okposo a good tweener this season, he's also a good young top-6 winger going forward. I think we'd have to add to Demers to be honest, but I'd also be hesitant to pull the trigger because I love our defensive depth.
It's also our organizational strength, so I don't mind it as much. Do we have any other PP QBs like Demers in the pipeline?

Even so, as long as Boyle is here, if Okposo helps us win in the window, I'm game. F' it, worry about it later lol.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
It's also our organizational strength, so I don't mind it as much. Do we have any other PP QBs like Demers in the pipeline?

Even so, as long as Boyle is here, if Okposo helps us win in the window, I'm game. F' it, worry about it later lol.
Irwin mainly. Acolotse as well.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post

I mean depth this year.

Vlasic-Boyle
Demers-Burns
Murray-Braun

is this team's defense healthy. I am very confident going into the playoffs with that D. Take out Demers and replace him with White, and I'm not so pleased.

Quote:
Irwin mainly. Acolotse as well.
Neither will be anywhere near Demers' talent. Hell, I'll be pleasantly surprised if either of them can ever become a regular NHLer.

Closed Thread