HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gilbert Perreault - Underrated?

Old
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Yes , but there isn't a center like Perreault currently playing in the league , no wonder the league's superstars are boring in this era.

Malkin is the closest thing to Perreault as far as being fun to watch and puck control , but Perreault was better.Maybe the minor hockey system is destroying some of this , but there's no way a great puck controller won't come around sooner than later.Please take note that there is a difference between having some stickhandling skills and being a pure puck/play controller with all the skills and moves and playing like this consistantly.Lemieux was of course the best at this.Perreault is a poor-man Lemieux.

Guys like Perreault and Lemieux could create new moves as the situations required them in order to get pass a defenseman , which is a rare skill.Perreault had a good shot and was a good passer , a good skater plus he wasn't small at all , making all this combination very dangerous and the worst to face since the guessing game is complicated.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 02-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Yes , but there isn't a center like Perreault currently playing in the league , no wonder the league's superstars are boring in this era.

Malkin is the closest thing to Perreault as far as being fun to watch and puck control , but Perreault was better.Maybe the minor hockey system is destroying some of this , but there's no way a great puck controller won't come around sooner than later.Please take note that there is a difference between having some stickhandling skills and being a pure puck/play controller with all the skills and moves and playing like this consistantly.Lemieux was of course the best at this.Perreault is a poor-man Lemieux.

Guys like Perreault and Lemieux could create new moves as the situations required them in order to get pass a defenseman , which is a rare skill.Perreault had a good shot and was a good passer , a good skater plus he wasn't small at all , making all this combination very dangerous and the worst to face since the guessing game is complicated.
I tend to agree on this one. For the record, I think Malkin will end up with the better career over Perreault, but I can see the comparisons. Heck, when you watch Malkin when he's in "beast mode" he draws similarities to Lemieux in terms of style. Nobody is Lemieux game in and game out of course, but he shows glimpses. So yeah I can see it with Perreault too. The only thing is Malkin is bigger while Perreault was faster. Both can hang onto the puck with ease though and it's a sight to watch.

I'm going to throw out the name Datsyuk. No, Perreault doesn't have the defensive prowess that Datsyuk has. Perreault was a better skater though. Both players have the ability to toy with the opposition. The reason I compare the two of them is that Datsyuk is one player in the NHL who I believe his stats don't always do him any justice. You notice Datsyuk out there, he controls the game when he's on the ice. He's never cracked 100 points but 97 twice. You almost feel as if he could have been a 120 point man. Its the same for Perreault, when you watched them during the game you were in awe and they were the central focus while on the ice. It is a shame it didn't show up more in the stat sheet for them, but I don't think it's a knock so much

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'm going to throw out the name Datsyuk. No, Perreault doesn't have the defensive prowess that Datsyuk has... The reason I compare the two of them is that Datsyuk is one player in the NHL who I believe his stats don't always do him any justice. You notice Datsyuk out there, he controls the game when he's on the ice. He's never cracked 100 points but 97 twice. You almost feel as if he could have been a 120 point man. Its the same for Perreault, when you watched them during the game you were in awe and they were the central focus while on the ice. It is a shame it didn't show up more in the stat sheet for them, but I don't think it's a knock so much
But Datsyuk's defensive prowess does show up in his Selkes. Yes, he's "only" a very good scorer instead of a great one, but he has hardware that shows there is more about him than just his scoring.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
God Bless Canada

I think he's a guy who's overrated by some, and underrated by others - one of those guys who, like a Mike Gartner, doesn't seem to fall into that middle ground. And there's good reason for that.

On the stats front: dig a little deeper, and you'll find that he was, I believe, No. 7 in career points when he retired, behind Gretzky, Howe, Dionne, Esposito, Mikita and Bucyk. (He had just been passed by Gretzky). And I think he could have done more, career numbers-wise, if he was in a different situation. The old Aud in Buffalo might have been the arena in the league least-tailored to Perreault's game. It's small, chippy, brittle ice surface certainly wasn't condusive to Perreault's free-flowing, slick, ultra-skilled game. And while he certainly benefitted from passing to guys like Rick Martin and Danny Gare on small ice (small ice definitely favours snipers), Perreault would have probably been more comfortable at the old Met Centre in Bloomington or if he could have spent his final years in a rink like the Joe Louis Arena, the Saddledome or Northland Coliseum with its standard dimensions and fast ice.

I think it's hard for younger fans to gain perspective on just how much arena dimensions can change an outcome for a player. I would have never thought about how big of a deal ice dimensions can make until spending a decade watching hockey on a small ice surface. It's a huge difference.

At the same time, ice dimensions and quality are not the only factor, or the biggest factor.

I think the overrating of Perreault is partially due to the flash bonus points. He's certainly one of the most dazzling player in the history of the game. It wasn't just that he put up a bevy of points; those were some of the most spectacular points in NHL history. Few have had his offensive skill or genius or know-how. And sometimes, it's easy to overrate the spectacular.

I do think he merits crticism. I think we saw the best of Perreault, but I don't know if we saw that best on a year-to-year basis. The playoff numbers are good. They're adequate. But he could have done more. Ken Dryden was critical of him in "The Game." I don't know if he would have had as good of a career if he was in Montreal. It might not have been the best situation for him.

I think he's a no-brainer for a top 70 to 80 spot among NHL players. He was a little high in the THN Top 100. Again, you might chalk that up to "skill points." But I think he could have been more. Circumstances probably were a factor in the fact that he didn't have that "talk about it 30 years later" run for six to eight years, but in the end, the biggest onus falls on Perreault.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote