HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Tony Marinaro: Three people he think could do the job in Montreal

Old
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I have never been a brain surgeon, so there is no evidence to support I would be terrible at brain surgery.
I give up.

Carry on with your misguided hate for the man.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I give up.

Carry on with your misguided hate for the man.
I do not like McGuire. True. But what I am saying is not misguided hatred. He has no GM experience. He has not held a job with an NHL club for several years. Other teams have had the opportunity and turned him down. There is no evidence to suggest he would do a good job.

Every poster on this board has never been a GM and thus there is no evidence they would do a terrible job.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Lafleurs Guy is the right choice for GM. Besides, I can speak French.

My first order of business is to lower beer prices...
My first order of business would be to switch to Sleeman, then you'd have beer.

Once you have beer,you can lower beer prices.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
I do not like McGuire. True. But what I am saying is not misguided hatred. He has no GM experience. He has not held a job with an NHL club for several years. Other teams have had the opportunity and turned him down. There is no evidence to suggest he would do a good job.
None of this is untrue, but there is also a reason why teams have interviewed him and why he was considered a finalist in Minnesota.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Every poster on this board has never been a GM and thus there is no evidence they would do a terrible job.
With as much face time and exposure mcguire has had the fact he has never been hired for anything speaks volumes. Teams don't think he is qualified to be anymore more than a tv personality.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Artie

I heard the soliloquy, I thought he was advocating for Bergevin to join the current staff as the head of pro-scouting.

I could be wrong as I am usually banging my head on the wall when Tony is on.

Which doesn't say much for me

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Dude, every journalist wrote the same ****.
Because... everybody agrees on this issue. It's as close as you can get to unanimous among francophones. Deal with it.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Cons sans suces. Not unanimous.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
My first order of business would be to switch to Sleeman, then you'd have beer.

Once you have beer,you can lower beer prices.
Not sure Molson would agree with you...

i would love to see Mcguirre take the reins. Hes pretty knowledgeable about all players
in the league and has experience in head office related duties. Simply pair him up with Brisebois or Mackassey and let the rebuilding begin!

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:58 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Fam Member old me McGuire will be next Habs GM if Molson accepts.

I hate rumorist's but its a Family member that I trust His "Source" is the son of a NHL Agent Firm Owner.

Take it for what It's worth. But don't make a big buzz about it or rephrase what i said ;D, Until it is announced, nobody really knows.

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Julien Brisebois is currently developing his network (NHL contacts) in TB working as Yzerman's assistant. If I remember correctly, he did occupy the same position alongside Gainey in Montreal. I am not sure if he has enough NHL experience yet but he definitely is a worthy candidate.

That being mentioned Gauthier's tenure in Montreal may be longer than expected.

In 2 years he did a lot of very solid moves: Cammalleri's trade (salary dump + good pick + prospect + same production in Bourque), Eller, Shultz, Cole, White instead of Pyatt, Emelin, Gill's trade, Bournival... and I like how he handles the media! Slowly but surely, he is cleaning Gainey's mess.

If he goes down at season's end, his downfall would be the result of a very poorly built D squad.
He should be replaced because of his poorly built D.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Pierre M. is my choice, as long as he has an excellent and experience assistant.

He knows the importance of having many prospects and draft picks in the pipeline, so it would be unlikely he would cause heavy long-term damage were he to 'not succeed'.
Unbelievable! It's amazing how much an entertainer can fool some. Maybe we should just get a circus anima to do the job. Forget about getting anyone who has been in actual hockey operations meetings since the last millenium.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can say "no to McGuire" after the garbage we've had to go through in the Gainey era.

It can't get any worse.
pretty much what everyone thought of Connie's hiring.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
None of this is untrue, but there is also a reason why teams have interviewed him and why he was considered a finalist in Minnesota.
He has been interviewed solely to draw attention to those teams. The same reason Tampa Bay hired Barry Melrose as a coach. The Habs don't need any extra attention.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
pretty much what everyone thought of Connie's hiring.
and it really hasn't gotten much worse...

teams winning % is down slightly, but we have had a few more entertaining games.

either way, non-playoff team under JM, non-playoff team under RC.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can say "no to McGuire" after the garbage we've had to go through in the Gainey era.

It can't get any worse.
Did you just become a Hab fan during the Gainey era? It can get worse and it was a lot worse before Gainey took control. There are too many good hockey people out there to go for someone who hasn't had a job with a team since the Clinton administration. The last time we got an inexperienced GM, he left us with absolutely nothing.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Andy

To say that McGuire should get the job because he knows a lot about hockey is not a good argument imo. McGuire is in a position to share his hockey knowledge because he is a T.V analyst. All these assistant GMs and pro-scouts could very well know even more than McGuire, but we wouldn't know since they are not in a position to share their knowledge daily as they have actual nhl jobs.

It's quite simple, if McGuire wants to be an assistant it's fine, but I do not want a man who has not been with an nhl club in any sort of position for 15+ years to be the team's general manager. It's pure non-sense. I can't believe Melnick and Marinaro's propaganda machine has fooled so many of you. McGuire has zero nhl management experience in 15+ years. He needs to do the dirty work to get to the top, if he's not willing to then it says something about his commitment to actually being a GM.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
To say that McGuire should get the job because he knows a lot about hockey is not a good argument imo. McGuire is in a position to share his hockey knowledge because he is a T.V analyst. All these assistant GMs and pro-scouts could very well know even more than McGuire, but we wouldn't know since they are not in a position to share their knowledge daily as they have actual nhl jobs.

It's quite simple, if McGuire wants to be an assistant it's fine, but I do not want a man who has not been with an nhl club in any sort of position for 15+ years to be the team's general manager. It's pure non-sense. I can't believe Melnick and Marinaro's propaganda machine has fooled so many of you.
Yep, and Montreal went with Pierre Gauthier, a former GM with loads of experience.

How is that working out for us?

Experience is relative. Gauthier is experienced. Experienced without success. Martin is experienced. Experienced without success.

I think I want Lafleur's Guy as GM though.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Yep, and Montreal went with Pierre Gauthier, a former GM with loads of experience.

How is that working out for us?

Experience is relative. Gauthier is experienced. Experienced without success. Martin is experienced. Experienced without success.
That's still not a solid argument against why going for someone with experience is the safer choice.

If we assume that:

A: Gauthier is a terrible GM

and

B: Gauthier has years of experience

it does not necessarily follow that experience is useless.

Gauthier is experienced, without success.
McGuire is inexperienced without success.

While, you might use that argument in McGuire's favor, you could use it for anyone here.

There is no reason to believe McGuire would do a better job.

Last edited by andy28: 02-23-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
That's still not a solid argument against why going for someone with experience is the safer choice.

If we assume that:

A: Gauthier is a terrible GM

and

B: Gauthier has years of experience

it does not necessarily follow that experience is useless.

Gauthier is experienced, without success.
McGuire is inexperienced without success.

There is no reason to believe McGuire would do a better job.
Not a McGuire fan nor a McGuire hater. Somewhere in the middle.

But, if McGuire were to get the job, I am sure Molson will pay for this.................

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide...ey-gm-scouting

The Hockey General Manager and Scouting course is an 8-week online course that offers cutting-edge theories on how to develop a career in professional or collegiate hockey. The Hockey General Manager and Scouting course will cover issues including hockey operations, team management, scouting talent, player personnel, cutting-edge methods of scouting, NHL traditional scouting techniques, statistical analysis and other essential tools of modern general managers of professional, major junior, and collegiate hockey organizations. (NHL, ECHL, WHL, OHL, AHL, CHL, QMJHL, minor league, international, and NCAA.)

Old
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not a McGuire fan nor a McGuire hater. Somewhere in the middle.

But, if McGuire were to get the job, I am sure Molson will pay for this.................

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide...ey-gm-scouting

[I]The Hockey General Manager and Scouting course is an 8-week online course that offers cutting-edge theories on how to develop a career in professional or collegiate hockey.
An 8-week online course would not make me feel safer about McGuire.

I mean there is a chance that he might be the best GM ever. Who knows? Maybe someone on HF would be the best GM in history. But that's a huge shot in the dark.
I would rather look at someone currently in the business and pay for a great French tutor.

Old
02-23-2012, 05:22 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pierre seems too impatient. I kinda feel he'd be a much wiser kid playing NHL 12. He knows the players and prospects and that's a huge plus but his passion seems unbound and I don't want him to try too hard to get his types of players in. I fear the lengths he'd go to make his stamp on the team.
McGuire would have a different set of monsters to deal with if he was GM here, and not in a good way.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
McGuire would have a different set of monsters to deal with if he was GM here, and not in a good way.
bazinga!

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Miller Time

i seriously have to wonder about the deluded notion that McGuire doesn't have enough "experience" to do the job of managing a professional hockey team...

current/up-to-date knowledge of the game- check
encyclopedic knowledge of players/coaches/officials at mutltiple levels of pro/amateur hockey- check
contacts/network/relationships with various GM's/owners/hockey "pro's" - check
personal work ethic & professionalism - check
sound fundamental knowledge/awareness of internal operations of pro hockey teams- check
experience working directly with/for championship winning organization- check
knowledge/awareness of media workings/influence- check
intimate knowledge of montreal hockey market - check

being a GM is NOT like being a brain surgeon, or an auto mechanic for that matter.

some jobs demand a specific level of direct technical knowledge/experience/training to be proficient at them... people management and running a sports team does not fall under that category.

just like managers in other fields, the key isn't specific technical knowledge or experience, but a broad scope of experience ideally directly related to the field (though there are many examples of individuals who have gone on to become incredibly successful managers/CEO's of organizations in fields where they had little to no direct experience with).

Gillis and his success in Vancouver is a perfect example of this... likewise, Houle's disastrous tenure as GM is a great example of why success in other areas isn't a guarantee either.

bottom line is that McGuire's "lack" of experience in the specific GM role is hardly a strong argument against him.

people bending over backwards trying to make that case are only highlighting their own personal, emotional, dislike of the man... which while understandable (he can be pretty damn annoying as a media guy sometimes), doesn't make it a good argument.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Protest the Hero

We saw what the years of being away from the game did to Barry Melrose, was he not up to date on the game from watching and commenting on it every night?

Like Andy has said, he hasn't held an actual position in the NHL in over 15 years.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote