HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Jeff Reese

Old
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
how about we fire the idiot who told Bryz to put on 25-30 pounds of muscle this past offseason first.
Is this real? I doubt it. Someone likely making at most 1mm over the next 9 years telling Bryz, making 51mm to drastically change his offseason approach to a position and he following it????

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Flyrs21

Jeff Reese's career numbers

Wins Loss Ties Save % G.A.A
53 65 17 .879 3.66

How can he teach other goalies when he wasn't a good goalie himself

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
tuckrr

never thought I would see this thread..

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post

53 65 17 .879 3.66

Heh, it's a good thing you're joking

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post

53 65 17 .879 3.66

By that logic, Wayne Gretzky should have warehouses storing his Jack Adams trophies.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Jeff Reese is a terrible coach. He should be fired immediately. I wrote a lengthy criticism about his shortcomings here last year.

Bobrovsky plays too deep in the net (Unchanged)
Bob doesn't track the puck well (unchanged)
Bob's rebound control is awful (slightly improved)
Bob relies on his reflexes too often and is positionally unsound (Unchanged)
Bob's stick handling is horrendous (Vast improvement)
Bob does not communicate well with "D" (Improved)

The issue for me last year was that Bobrovsky started the year as a Hybrid Goalie who stayed up more often but as the season progressed he developed into a butterfly style goalie and his effectiveness and confidence plummeted.

Bryzgalov while with Phoenix also stayed up more often and was much more aggressive tracking the puck through traffic and from the points. Jackson and company love bailing Bryz out by claiming they don't remember a season whereby so many goals have been a result of deflections either by opponents or teammates. Well, what do you expect when your goalie plays so deep in his net. If he would just come out even a little, these ridiculous slim openings wouldn't even be there.

Fans bring up Leighton and the success Reese had with him. Go back and watch that run to the finals. Our "D" is playing top shelf hockey. Leighton makes maybe 5-10 tough saves against the Bruins the whole series and maybe 5 in the Habs series (discounting Game 3 where he **** the bed and gave us a hint to what was to come in the Finals against Chicago)

Reese is getting credit for Bob's improved Puck handling skills this season and maybe he should but I'm not sure because Bobrovsky is so self driven who's to really say who deserves the accolades.

As long as Reese is there, Philadelphia's current 20 years and counting climate of ineptitude and mediocrity will continue. The book has been out on Flyers Goalies since last year and nothing has changed since then and that's not just embarrassing, that's maddening.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
achdumeingute

Here is the issue with Reese alone...nobody here knows the plan. I doubt lavi says "do whatever, well wing it Jeff.". They are working in tandem (the whole team does) to establish a gameplan and have guys play a certain way.

It's hard to know where this "problem" begins and ends.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Is this real? I doubt it. Someone likely making at most 1mm over the next 9 years telling Bryz, making 51mm to drastically change his offseason approach to a position and he following it????
It's real. Bryzgalov was told by McCrossin at the time of his signing that he'd need to put on about 25 to 30 pounds in order to survive in the East because of the net crashing that goes on. The plan backfired because Bryzgalov looks sloppy and you can tell from his play that he has a hard time moving laterally, squaring himself up and keeping in position. He got too big.

Don't kid yourself. McCrossin has a lot of heat directed his way over this move. There was no mandate from the organization and management for Bryzgalov to get bigger. McCrossin overstepped his boundaries on this one and people are livid. This move might just cost him his job in the off season.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I'll admit, I bought into Jeff Reese, but he just happened to click with Michael Leighton for some reason. Tampa fans say that goalies stayed back in net, even though Leighton just tried to play bigger. Either way, that's an easier problem to fix than Bryzgalov's contract.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote