HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Ott..

Old
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
PJStock*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
You can hate Ott all you want but when it comes to fore-check, he is one of the best in business. Like most people mentioned he is also kills penalties, takes faceoffsal 56-57%.
His contract is around 3M. A little too pricey. I am not sure why guys compare Ott to Avery or Rinaldo. Ott is team 1st guy unlike Avery and Ott is a hell of a lot better player than Rinaldo. You do not put Ott on 4th line.

I would put:
Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Ott Briere Jagr
JVR Schenn Simmonds
Read Coutrier Talbot
So you make a note of how good he is at faceoffs, yet you proceed to put him on the wing?

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
So you make a note of how good he is at faceoffs, yet you proceed to put him on the wing?
Briere plays his best at center. So Ott will take faceoffs. So what... Like THAT never happened before. Taking a faceoff for someone.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Top Cheese Danish

After Lavy told him to go **** himself, having him in the dressing room would be hilariously awkward.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Briere plays his best at center. So Ott will take faceoffs. So what... Like THAT never happened before. Taking a faceoff for someone.
So you got anal when I put Read on the hypothetical 'fourth line,' even though I emphasized that Read could just as easily move through the other 3 lines during the game and that he wouldn't be cemented in that position, and now you offer the same solution with Ott/Briere shifting their positions during the game. Oh, O.K.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Damaged Goods

Ott or Jagr.... Hmm, tough one -- not.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
There are some players you hate on other teams, but would love to have on your own team ... and then there are Ott and Avery. I absolutely have no interest in players of their ilk.
Agree completely.

I don't want that garbage on the flyers.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
So you got anal when I put Read on the hypothetical 'fourth line,' even though I emphasized that Read could just as easily move through the other 3 lines during the game and that he wouldn't be cemented in that position, and now you offer the same solution with Ott/Briere shifting their positions during the game. Oh, O.K.
You were not crying were you? Faceoffs is not the only thing Ott brings to the table.

Why the **** would I put Ott at center ahead of Briere, in playoffs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Agree completely.

I don't want that garbage on the flyers.
I think you are overreacting here. Why exactly is he garbage? The only difference between Ott and Rinaldo or Sestito (or even Simmonds) is that he agitates better, and plays hockey better, at least in the case of Rinaldo and Sestito. They guy is a mile a minute like Rinaldo, is tough, talks ****, hits hard, and can play hockey. What's not to like? He got in a pissing contest with Lavy? Big deal. He isn't like Avery in terms of his on-ice antics (constantly diving, goading people into fights then turtling up, running his mouth about people's girlfriends, etc). He fills the same role, but does it better and does so in a more "sportsman" way. Ott would be an excellent Flyer. But, as has been noted, I'd say it is unlikely he winds up here at the deadline because of his cap-hit and NTC.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
You were not crying were you? Faceoffs is not the only thing Ott brings to the table.

Why the **** would I put Ott at center ahead of Briere, in playoffs.
Not crying, it's just funny how you pick your spots. If you were GM, we'd probably have 6 Sestitos on our bottom 6.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
King Fish

Way to big a cap hit for what he brings.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
2minutes4slashing

I'm amused at how so many of ya'll worry about the Cap so much like it's really gonna affect your everyday lives if the Flyers go out and get Steve Ott and have to make moves to clear some space?
the truth is , we're nothing more then armchair GM's , so lets let Homer and and the rest of management do their jobs, work on the finances, , potential trades and the Cap "issues" , and let us sit in our respective chairs, sofas and recliners and watch the games and cheer on the team .. sound good ?

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:26 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
I'm amused at how so many of ya'll worry about the Cap so much like it's really gonna affect your everyday lives if the Flyers go out and get Steve Ott and have to make moves to clear some space?
the truth is , we're nothing more then armchair GM's , so lets let Homer and and the rest of management do their jobs, work on the finances, , potential trades and the Cap "issues" , and let us sit in our respective chairs, sofas and recliners and watch the games and cheer on the team .. sound good ?
You do realize that we log on here to express our opinion on trades, potential trades, FA signings and what not right? Part of that is discussing who much money to allocate to different players in a sport with a salary cap. Uh...that's all I have to say about that.
What are the odds on a Bryz shut out!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Way to big a cap hit for what he brings.
Why do people keep saying this? How much should he make? As much as Talbot? More? Less? What type of player should make $2.9 million?

Old
02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
mercury

Ott is a luxury at his cap hit. I like the faceoffs and forechecking, but I don't need the **** disturbing. I really wish we had Lappy or Betts back. Gaustad or Moen would be nice, too, but it would depend on what goes out.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Ott is a luxury at his cap hit. I like the faceoffs and forechecking, but I don't need the **** disturbing. I really wish we had Lappy or Betts back. Gaustad or Moen would be nice, too, but it would depend on what goes out.
Gaustad makes $500k less than Ott and Ott is a much more difficult guy to play against and has a little more offensive upside.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Gaustad makes $500k less than Ott and Ott is a much more difficult guy to play against and has a little more offensive upside.
I think Ott is a better player than Gaustad as well, but if we trade for Ott, we won't stand a chance re-signing Jagr next year (unless we ship out someone else with a fairly high cap hit). Guys like Gaustad and Moen are upcoming UFA's, making them more reasonable for us to aim at if we're looking to add another forward (I don't think we could fit Gaustad unless we move some other salary though, that is simply demoting Rinaldo and/or Wellwood won't make up for it).

I like Ott, but not over Jagr/JvR/Voracek.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I think Ott is a better player than Gaustad as well, but if we trade for Ott, we won't stand a chance re-signing Jagr next year (unless we ship out someone else with a fairly high cap hit). Guys like Gaustad and Moen are upcoming UFA's, making them more reasonable for us to aim at if we're looking to add another forward (I don't think we could fit Gaustad unless we move some other salary though, that is simply demoting Rinaldo and/or Wellwood won't make up for it).

I like Ott, but not over Jagr/JvR/Voracek.
Oh I'm not really saying that. As I said, because of cap constraints, I don't think he is coming here and don't think they should shakeup the team too much to get him. I just don't get why people are acting like he is an overpaid scrub. He averages slightly under 20 goals a season and is probably the best in the business as an agitator type player.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I don't like Rinaldo, and would probably rather have him over Ott. What a terrible contract. Completely asinine that this is under consideration. Not to mention that he's generally a POS. It wouldn't even be worth trading Jody Shelley for him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Lebrun on Insider Trader just said that Dallas covets JVR and Ott seems like a good fit for the Flyers. He said though if Dallas or anyone wants to get JVR out of Philly, it would have to be a substantial offer. Dallas doesn't really have anything besides Ott that interests me that they would trade.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't like Rinaldo, and would probably rather have him over Ott, unless the Stars take Jody Shelley for some reason. What a terrible contract. Completely asinine that this is under consideration. Not to mention that he's generally a POS.
Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Lebrun on Insider Trader just said that Dallas covets JVR and Ott seems like a good fit for the Flyers. He said though if Dallas or anyone wants to get JVR out of Philly, it would have to be a substantial offer. Dallas doesn't really have anything besides Ott that interests me that they would trade.
Yeah, I wouldn't do Ott for JVR. However, if they blew the Flyers away somehow (maybe including a higher pick and Scott Glennie ), I'd give it a look.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
John Flyers Fan

Ott is exactly what we need, save for a goalie.

Veteran 4th line center, excellent on face-offs, physical and a good penalty killer.

Problem is that salary. Just can't afford to pay a 4th liner $3 million.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't do Ott for JVR. However, if they blew the Flyers away somehow (maybe including a higher pick and Scott Glennie ), I'd give it a look.
I believe the Flyers would want Philip Larson in the deal.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Really???

Yeah. I'll take the warm body making $544K, than someone who would be a 4th liner on any good team at almost $3M. Ott has negative value in my opinion. $3M for two more years as a player who only has had good offensive years because his shooting percentage freaked. Face offs aren't worth $3M per year. No thanks.

If they're trading for a center, it has to be a hardcore third line shutdown guy like Manny Malholtra, who isn't available, but that type of player. I'd be more receptive if he was closer to $1M. $3M is crazy though. I can't justify him being paid within $2M of Hartnell for next year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I believe the Flyers would want Philip Larson in the deal.
Yeah, that would make more sense. I just really like Scott Glennie. He seems like he is underachieving (or living up to expectations, depending on who you talk to) out there. I never thought he was going to be anything special, but from what I've seen of Glennie he would be an awesome third liner who could fill in on the 2nd or 3rd line when needed.

To PHI:
Ott
Larson
Glennie
2nd

To DAL:
JvR
Gus
Some random player to make contracts even)

^^^Would never happen, but still^^^

Old
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yeah. I'll take the warm body making $544K, than someone who would be a 4th liner on any good team at almost $3M. Ott has negative value in my opinion. $3M for two more years as a player who only has had good offensive years because his shooting percentage freaked. Face offs aren't worth $3M per year. No thanks.

If they're trading for a center, it has to be a hardcore third line shutdown guy like Manny Malholtra, who isn't available, but that type of player. I'd be more receptive if he was closer to $1M. $3M is crazy though. I can't justify him being paid less than $1M less than Giroux for another two years.
Meh. I guess my opinion of him is a bit higher. For $3 million, I'll take what he brings to the table. Just out of curiosity, what should he be making in your opinion, and what type of player should be making the money he is making?