HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Nope. Johnson is a more valuable asset than any we're willing to part with except for perhaps Wilson. Blum/Josi/Ellis/Lindback + 1st wasn't going to get it done, especially in division.
jj sucks sorry...

Old
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
jj sucks sorry...
Not a chance. He's got holes in his game, but is a legit #3 d-man with the ability to be a top pairing guy. I've been an unabashed Johnson hater for his entire career here in LA, and it is with great reluctance that I say he definitely does not 'suck.' He'll probably never be a defensive stalwart, but get him out from Doughty's shadow, and loosen the reigns a bit offensively, I believe he'll thrive.

All that said, he still has more value at this point than Blum/Ellis/Josi/Lindback.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Not a chance. He's got holes in his game, but is a legit #3 d-man with the ability to be a top pairing guy. I've been an unabashed Johnson hater for his entire career here in LA, and it is with great reluctance that I say he definitely does not 'suck.'
sorry for jj to be the "piece" that lands carter .. he sucks and I feel we could beat that deal. obviously with a different deal

Old
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
sorry for jj to be the "piece" that lands carter .. he sucks and I feel we could beat that deal. obviously with a different deal
Well, this is going nowhere. If you watch Kings games often and have a different perspective, I'll respect that, but I certainly don't agree.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Carter and Richards reunited ..... Johnson and a 1st heading to Columbus.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:36 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Well, this is going nowhere. If you watch Kings games often and have a different perspective, I'll respect that, but I certainly don't agree.
I hate to throw out +/- ... hate it but look at jj's plus/minus in his career

Old
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
I have watched him this year.. not a whole bunch. enough to form an opinion.. not impressed with the guy. he's been overrated his whole career

Old
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
dulzhok

We will never know if Columbus wasn't willing to deal in the division.

But, I think we could have beaten it. Ellis + 1st + Linback. I'd take JJ over Ellis right now, but Ellis in the future. Columbus needs goalie help too.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I hate to throw out +/- ... hate it but look at jj's plus/minus in his career
It's awful. Not just awful...TERRIBLE. One stat doesn't really overwhelmingly prove a player's worth though.

Roman Josi is on pace for -20 over a full season, and I certainly don't feel that he sucks, or even that -10 is reflective of his play this season.

Johnson's also on pace for his 3rd straight 30+ point season, on one of the worst offensive hockey franchises in the league.

Stats just don't tell the whole story. I've watched the guy nearly every game for 6 seasons, he absolutely has the tools, and he is an incredibly valuable piece.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I have watched him this year.. not a whole bunch. enough to form an opinion.. not impressed with the guy. he's been overrated his whole career
Well, that whole team has been awful (even worse, boring) this season. For as poor as Jack may have looked, I think Doughty has been an even bigger disappointment.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Only Tyutin and Nikitin play defense for the Jackets. Johnson and Wisniewski ...... good offensive instincts, but, painful in their own end. Maybe they can add Zidlicky and just forget about their own end.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We will never know if Columbus wasn't willing to deal in the division.

But, I think we could have beaten it. Ellis + 1st + Linback. I'd take JJ over Ellis right now, but Ellis in the future. Columbus needs goalie help too.
Ellis is still a bit of an unknown asset, and plays sheltered minutes. Johnson can be penciled in to the top 2 pairings right now, and is young enough to build around going forward. I don't think the same can be said of Ellis. For what it's worth, Jonathan Bernier, who is basically LA's Lindback (with a fair bit more hype), was a piece that Columbus wasn't interested in.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
predwings

Howson is just digging the poor Jackets further into a hole.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
For what it's worth, Jonathan Bernier, who is basically LA's Lindback (with a fair bit more hype), was a piece that Columbus wasn't interested in.
I'm not saying that's not true, but where did you hear CBJ didn't want Bernier?

Old
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
dulzhok

Klein for any decent veteran Dman.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'm not saying that's not true, but where did you hear CBJ didn't want Bernier?
Was mentioned by several posters stating 'several sources' on the trade forum. I'm not saying it's gospel, but I don't see any motivation for them to make it up either.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Was mentioned by several posters stating 'several sources' on the trade forum. I'm not saying it's gospel, but I don't see any motivation for them to make it up either.
What the hell is CBJ's plan for goalie then? Not a very smart trade for CBJ IMO. Something like Bernier,Voynov,1st makes a lot more sense from an outside perspective.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
dulzhok

Seriously, if we aren't going to make a considerable upgrade on offense, I think we'll have a better chance in the playoffs if we continue to upgrade our D. Play to our strength.

Kevin Klein eating up a ton of minutes is going to get us nowhere fast.

Klein + Watson for Lubo Vishnosky.

Try to get AK at a low price and hope for the best. He's a goal scorer with 12 goals and is UFA to be, he can't be worth that much. I would be hesitant to include Blum or our 1st. I think Blum will be solid 3/4 in the near future (way better than Klein). AK for 4th 2012, 2nd 2013. The highest end, IMO should be Watson.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
What the hell is CBJ's plan for goalie then? Not a very smart trade for CBJ IMO. Something like Bernier,Voynov,1st makes a lot more sense from an outside perspective.
They either think Mason is just having a down season, or they think that enough goalies may be available going toward next year that they were trying to focus on other areas of need first. There's Schneider, Bernier, Lindback that could all be in play, just for starters.

Goalie value is also tough to judge. I don't think LA would part with Voynov and Bernier, and I'm also not sure it's enough established quality for Columbus to be willing to pull the trigger.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Seriously, if we aren't going to make a considerable upgrade on offense, I think we'll have a better chance in the playoffs if we continue to upgrade our D. Play to our strength.

Kevin Klein eating up a ton of minutes is going to get us nowhere fast.

Klein + Watson for Lubo Vishnosky.

Try to get AK at a low price. He's a goal scorer with 12 goals and is UFA to be, he can't be worth that much. I would be hesitant to include Blum or our 1st. I think Blum will be solid 3/4 in the near future (way better than Klein). AK for 4th 2012, 2nd 2013. The highest end, IMO should be Watson.
I'm not sure Lubo's a good fit. Huge contract, great on the offensive side of the puck, but I think another two-way or defensive minded blueliner would be more desirable.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I'm not sure Lubo's a good fit. Huge contract, great on the offensive side of the puck, but I think another two-way or defensive minded blueliner would be more desirable.
He's better defensively than Klein. Plus he brings a ton of offense.

He's actual pay next year is only 3.5m.

He would also be great Suter insurance.

If we can do without next year, the beauty is we can trade him for decent return.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
It's awful. Not just awful...TERRIBLE. One stat doesn't really overwhelmingly prove a player's worth though.

Roman Josi is on pace for -20 over a full season, and I certainly don't feel that he sucks, or even that -10 is reflective of his play this season.

Johnson's also on pace for his 3rd straight 30+ point season, on one of the worst offensive hockey franchises in the league.

Stats just don't tell the whole story. I've watched the guy nearly every game for 6 seasons, he absolutely has the tools, and he is an incredibly valuable piece.
jj's +/- is way worse than every defenseman on the kings alot of seasons

Old
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
zellthemedic

Just popped up in the Habs forum.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1115487

Old
02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I really don't think it's that bad of a trade for C-Bus.

They aren't going to be competing for the cup for a while so getting another 1st is good for the rebuild they're doing, and Johnson is probably going to be their best defender, or atleast on the top pairing.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
maplepred

Does anyone believe we have any kind if realistic shot at landing Rick Nash?? Will Poile go all out?? Will Nash waive to come here??

Closed Thread